As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Relatively noobish Photoshop question

XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, let's say I have a large-ish image that I want to make the background of a website. The image itself is about 300x300, but I've put it on a white background and increased the canvas so the overall image is 600x600 or something (to make it tile less often). Now, this image is still in full color... I want to make it more opaque/lighter (but still retain as much of the color as possible, I don't want to have to turn it to grayscale) so that it doesn't draw attention to itself when the user is reading the text on the website. The image itself is not largely detailed. My version of Photoshop is fairly old (6.0). I messed around with Image -> Adjust a bit, but I couldn't get the desired effect. Then again, I didn't really know what I should have been looking for.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I know there must be a simple and clean way of doing this.

Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
Xbox Live: Infilament
XenoScholar on

• Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Increase brightness and decrease contrast

falsedef on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can decrease the opacity of the layer (as long the image is a separate layer from the background) until it's at a level that you like. You should see a little "Opacity" option on the layers box as long as you have that displayed (if not, go to Window > Layers).

Taximes on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    You can decrease the opacity of the layer (as long the image is a separate layer from the background) until it's at a level that you like. You should see a little "Opacity" option on the layers box as long as you have that displayed (if not, go to Window > Layers).

This is what I was going to suggest. Add a new layer, fill it completely black (or another color - try different colors for different tints), then adjust the opacity of the layer to a low percentage. Play around with the level until it's where you like it, then flatten the image.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the help, everyone. After playing around with it some more, though, I'm going to abandon the idea because it makes the site look horribly Geocities-esque. I was hoping I could do it tastefully enough so that it wouldn't be the case, but alas... :) But at least I know for the future how to do this easily!

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament