As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deleted

13»

• Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    True Fact:

In New York in 1955 there was a 8 day blackout. 9 months later they had a huge boom (3x average) of babies born for 2-3 weeks.

These New Yorkers are still called Black-Out Babies.

It was 1965, and Snopes says nu-uh.

Beat'd.

Satan. on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So was there any effect to this at all? Power companies here say they didn't register anything out of the ordinary at all, yet whatever the organization was that was behind it claimed it was a huge success.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    So was there any effect to this at all? Power companies here say they didn't register anything out of the ordinary at all, yet whatever the organization was that was behind it claimed it was a huge success.
    Well, we are discussing it right now, aren't we?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Well, we are discussing it right now, aren't we?
    Good point.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    I watched a movie with my girlfriend.

I like energy, but just think it should come from more renewable sources. I don't think turning off the power for an hour would have sent that message.

I think they were trying to send an energy conservation message. Turn off the lights when you leave the room, buy energy efficient stuff.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    dsg1499_990_600.jpg

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Now that is a very strange chart.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited March 2008
    That chart amuses me. Is California really that far left?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited March 2008
    I mean...I don't get it. Are they trying to say that Republicans use more energy than Democrats? That is such a hilarious chart.

Drez on
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I mean...I don't get it. Are they trying to say that Republicans use more energy than Democrats? That is such a hilarious chart.

Apparently they did until 2003 at least.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    - far more worthwhile is me replacing the lights I can with motion/prox. sensors so I don't accidentally leave them on anyway.

I'd really prefer we encouraged people to do that.

That's only really practicable in, say, hallways though. I don't want my lights constantly going off when I'm sitting down and not jumping about. Definitely should be de rigeur for businesses though.

Actually it's a problem I'm working on right now - you can build electrical proximity sensors which detect the resonance of 50 Hz AC in human bodies, so I'm trying to work out if I can have one cover my whole basement and auto-shut off the projector if no one's there.

RFID

TL DR on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

I bet it has a lot more to do with the differences in power usage between extremely dense coastal states and extremely sparse inland states than "Pubbies like to waste the energyz olol". I'd imagine that densely populated areas facilitate things like commuting, public transport, and efficiencies of economy. As opposed to the middle of Wyoming, where you have to drive 50 miles to get to the damned grocery store.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I bet it has a lot more to do with the differences in power usage between extremely dense coastal states and extremely sparse inland states than "Pubbies like to waste the energyz olol". I'd imagine that densely populated areas facilitate things like commuting, public transport, and efficiencies of economy. As opposed to the middle of Wyoming, where you have to drive 50 miles to get to the damned grocery store.

I assumed they were just talking about energy grid power. Not like... overall energy usage.

If so then population density should not have much to do with it.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

I assumed they were just talking about energy grid power. Not like... overall energy usage.

Wouldn't climate differences and average temperatures/hours of sunlight account for a lot of the difference, then (especially comparing against California)?

LaOs on
    edited March 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

Wouldn't climate differences and average temperatures/hours of sunlight account for a lot of the difference, then (especially comparing against California)?

Maybe in the case of california. But New England is mega Dem and the south has a Repub tendency. So probably not for the rest of it.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited March 2008
    The only thing that chart proves, to me, is how retarded California is. If I wasn't at work, I would provide a counter-chart to that one.

Even if the data is accurate, it's presented in a manner that suggests Republicans use more power than Democrats and that California uses less on average than anyone else. Or something. It's dishonest and stupid.

Drez on
    edited March 2008
    The only thing that chart proves, to me, is how retarded California is. If I wasn't at work, I would provide a counter-chart to that one.

Even if the data is accurate, it's presented in a manner that suggests Republicans use more power than Democrats and that California uses less on average than anyone else. Or something. It's dishonest and stupid.

Why is california retarded? They are 4th in energy efficiency.

Still the chart is a little sketchy.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    I hunted down the Economist article from whence that chart came, and I think I have a theory.

California and nine northeastern states have crafted legislation for things like energy-efficient building creation, and other such things. My guess is that all these states have comparable energy usage - strictly as a result of their business regulations - relative to not only the red states, but the other blue states, as well. The graph has nothing to do with personal energy usage relative to political orientation, it has to do with a few liberal states implementing policies to force companies to be greener in myriad ways.

Here are links to the pdf of that article, btw. It's interesting, but it's also fairly disingenuous with the conclusions it tries to draw from that graph (titled: "The Redder, the Greedier").

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    On the whole, left-leaning states are keener on greenery than right-wing ones, which tend to be more energy-intensive. But politicians of all stripes in the Midwest are keen to promote ethanol for the sake of local farmers, who grow the corn from which it is made. And Texas recently overtook California as the country's biggest generator of wind power.
    Meh, the red-blue divide doesn't seem to be the focus of the article.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    On the whole, left-leaning states are keener on greenery than right-wing ones, which tend to be more energy-intensive. But politicians of all stripes in the Midwest are keen to promote ethanol for the sake of local farmers, who grow the corn from which it is made. And Texas recently overtook California as the country's biggest generator of wind power.
    Meh, the red-blue divide doesn't seem to be the focus of the article.

That's the focus of the graph alone, however. It's a silly comparison, IMHO.

Satan. on