As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleted

Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
edited May 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
-

Andrew_Jay on

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I heard that they (not sure who the "they" is in this case) were going to push back Earth Hour until after Hockey Night in Canada.

I laughed.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll be sure to keep my lights on between 8 and 9 tonight.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, uh, why wouldn't they pick an hour when it's still light enough out to maybe open up a window shade and read a book?

Energy save shmenergy shmave.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When the hour hit in Israel, Google.co.il made its background black for the duration. Remember that version of Google that's all black, claiming it saves energy? Google said (rightly) at the time that it wasn't true. Whoops.
    Summary: turn off your lights for an hour tonight and see what kind of energy you can save.

Who gets power bills that detailed?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When the hour hit in Israel, Google.co.il made its background black for the duration. Remember that version of Google that's all black, claiming it saves energy? Google said (rightly) at the time that it wasn't true. Whoops.

That's why Google is black today.

Duh. I am dumb.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hah, you're right; .ca is black too. .com isn't.
    Google wrote:
    As to why we don't do this permanently - it saves no energy-

Just to raise awareness then. I guess they'll go back, although I've heard it's hard to.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea, the university down here is planning some events and such for Earth Hour. Figure I'll at least shut all my electronics and lights off for that one hour to contribute.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My google.com is black.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh Earth hour. Apparently we turned off the lights, but the fact I was running my projector in the basement the whole time almost certainly offsets it.

tl;dr - Earth Hour is a retarded red herring of environmentalism.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh Earth hour. Apparently we turned off the lights, but the fact I was running my projector in the basement the whole time almost certainly offsets it.

Hear, hear. We dimmed the lights so the neighbours wouldn't hate us and kept watching DVDs :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

Hear, hear. We dimmed the lights so the neighbours wouldn't hate us and kept watching DVDs :P

I'd venture that no one else in my 100-apartment building even knows what the fuck Earth Hour is. Bravo to Aussies for knowing, I guess.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am going to turn on more lights than usual, because there is nothing I hate more than a congratulatory pat-on-the-back masturbatory cause. Now all we need is a celebrity to announce it on a commercial.
    Seriously? Why not, pick up trash on your roads for an hour? Why not, read up on proper environmental procedures for an hour? Something productive instead of something easy.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am going to turn on more lights than usual, because there is nothing I hate more than a congratulatory pat-on-the-back masturbatory cause. Now all we need is a celebrity to announce it on a commercial.
    Seriously? Why not, pick up trash on your roads for an hour? Why not, read up on proper environmental procedures for an hour? Something productive instead of something easy.

Like an hour long masturathon. It skips the unnecessary bullshit.

Satan. on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Like an hour long masturathon. It skips the unnecessary bullshit.
    That's what I did.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If we save energy for an hour, and then use more energy, what's the fucking point?

• Options
    edited March 2008

I'd venture that no one else in my 100-apartment building even knows what the fuck Earth Hour is. Bravo to Aussies for knowing, I guess.

Its a global thing. Media made a huge deal of it here. I work for one of the state government departments that handles enviro stuff, so we were under very strict orders to turn the dang office lights off on Friday afternoon :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Its a global thing. Media made a huge deal of it here. I work for one of the state government departments that handles enviro stuff, so we were under very strict orders to turn the dang office lights off on Friday afternoon :P

I barely heard a peep out of the MSM in the 'states. Ah well, fuck the world anyway.
    Am I doing "American" right?

Satan. on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll do Earth Hour one better. I'll turn all my lights off for 8 hours tonight, from about 2 a.m. to 10 a.m.!
    Just like I do every night.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The problem I have with Earth Hour is it's completely transient nature and the fact that pretty much all of Australia's electricity still comes from coal. If they had a different goal, like "get grid usage to where it's all renewables" then it'd be better because then it's like "for 1 hour the country was greenhouse neutral on power"

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This kind of retarded shit hurts environmentalism.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My computer is on so I guess I'm not doing the whole "earth hour" thing

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Who else sees a lawsuit coming of this?

"Man turns off lights for earth hour, trips over pet cat, breaks neck"

More at 11

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »

You are an idiot.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    saggio wrote: »

You are an idiot.
    No he's right.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

You are an idiot.
    No he's right.
    Indeed, it cheapens actual motivation and cause.

• Options
    edited March 2008

You are an idiot.
    No he's right.

No, he's not. Its a waste of time from a real-world coal saving point of view, but its a perfectly acceptable awareness-raising tool and only bitter know-nothings who don't care about anything but the bottom line CO2 usage think this.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, I just realised I had no idea about this and I was happily working away in my lab with all the lights on last night.

Oops.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    hahahaha

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    In my defense as I don't drive or indeed, even need to take the bus or anything using good old foot-power I minimise my carbon footprint.

However, I must concede that I fart at least 3 times a day and I do produce methane. Methane is a greenhouse gas and is more damaging than CO2.

From this point on, for the sake of the environment, I will only fart twice a day. A reduction of 33% of my total carbon footprint. That should make up for it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Meh, if it enourages people and businesses to turn of lights/appliances when they're not using them then power to 'em. I don't really see how earth hour really hurts environmentalism.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    Meh, if it enourages people and businesses to turn of lights/appliances when they're not using them then power to 'em. I don't really see how earth hour really hurts environmentalism.

It does hurt in the respect that there are monumentally stupid people out there who go "hurr hurr is this what the environmental movement spends its time on?" .. but those people are probably lost to the cause anyway.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It does hurt in the respect that there are monumentally stupid people out there who go "hurr hurr is this what the environmental movement spends its time on?" .. but those people are probably lost to the cause anyway.

Those are basically the people who bitched about the advent of unleaded petrol. Presumably because they liked to sprinkle a few drops onto the paint chips they'd been nibbling.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Those are basically the people who bitched about the advent of unleaded petrol. Presumably because they liked to sprinkle a few drops onto the paint chips they'd been nibbling.
    Shouldn't you be not shaving your armpits or something?
    Since we are going to stereotype and oversimplify problems.

• Options
    edited March 2008

Don't be an idiot. Anti-greens hate any publicity surrounding environmental issues, and will trash any attempt to open discussion. They also have a habit of using the actual enviro-nuts as a stick with which to marginalise people who actually know what they're talking about. Like me! So yes, I'm going to go ahead and use a little humorous hyperbole about them from time to time, and you're going to fucking well deal with it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Don't be an idiot. Anti-greens hate any publicity surrounding environmental issues, and will trash any attempt to open discussion. They also have a habit of using the actual enviro-nuts as a stick with which to marginalise people who actually know what they're talking about. Like me! So yes, I'm going to go ahead and use a little humorous hyperbole about them from time to time, and you're going to fucking well deal with it.
    I'm just going to pretend like you aren't doing this right now.

• Options
    edited March 2008

I'm just going to pretend like you aren't doing this right now.

Well, she's right. I find (for example) that when it comes to trying to advocate for some issue like restricting water related activities in rivers (to prevent the spread of didymo, a devastating algae that chokes rivers and waterways into oblivion), or advocating for less usage of antibiotics in farmed animals or whatever, that you get compared with the nuts and not the actual arguments you've made. It's the morons in the environmental movement, such as some of the green party that make getting anywhere with actual progress difficult, because anti-environmental groups ignore the rational well thought arguments people make and focus on the nuts to discredit the other arguments (without addressing them).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    do you even have an opinion in this thread, fuzzy? What the hell is your problem? Explain your reasoning instead of posting bitchy little troll posts.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked this idea not because of the energy saving, but rather because this was the largest attempted wave in human history.
    I hope it works just for the pictures.

Picardathon on