As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

April Fools Day 2008 - the anti-BS thread

ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
As many of you know, April Fools Day is the one day that videogame news outlets can publish outright lies and get away with it by saying "lol it was all a joke APRIL FOOLS ololol" like a bunch of retards

So this thread is where to come if you hear something suspect and want to debunk it for the rotten fabrication that it is. I decided to get a start on this early because sometimes these jokes get out early (especially if you're EGM)

Note that sometimes companies do announce legit things on April 1 (for instance, Rock Band was announced on April Fools Day last year), so any suspicious announcements that turn out to be true will be marked as such in this thread

So without further ado, here is the current list, arranged in alphabetical order for your viewing pleasure. Updates to the OP will come as more (mis)information becomes available

General Tech Stuff - http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/2008.html

Lego Halo (Xbox 360) - BULLSHIT As is tradition for Electronic Gaming Monthly, at least one article in their April issue (which ships in March for whatever reason) must be composed entirely of falsehoods and misinformation, and the one for this year is the article detailing a retelling of Master Chief's adventures in the style of Lego Star Wars.

Raytracing to debut in Direct X 11 (PC) - BULLSHIT Originally from a Malaysian website, Microsoft is apparently planning on releasing Direct X 11 with ray-tracing capability in Vista Service Pack 2, in about 8 months. It's already April 1st in Malaysia, and the "comments" from various companies are obviously done with a (poorly) humorous intention.

Wii Want More Channel (Wii) - BULLSHIT According to "Nintendo of America's Media Site", downloadable content for several games (including Brawl, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, and others) will be made available in May. Too bad it's a pack of lies; 110mb.com is a free webhosting site, and notice how the article states "Old Games Made New Again with Additional Downloable Content ".

More to come, probably!

GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
Arcibi on

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Whatever happened to that Joy of Painting Wii game that turned out to be real in spite of being announced on April 1st?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    WangtopiaWangtopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Whatever happened to that Joy of Painting Wii game that turned out to be real in spite of being announced on April 1st?

Last I heard it ran into some development snags and the company who own the rights to Bob Ross' image were looking for a new developer.

Wangtopia on
    Gaming related things:
    wangtopia.png
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    April Fools Day is the one day that videogame news outlets can publish outright lies and get away with it by saying "lol it was all a joke APRIL FOOLS ololol" like a bunch of retards

I hate April Fools Day specifically because of this.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fuck April Fools day, seriously. Fuck it.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No April Fools joke has been funny ever in the history of the universe.

They should rename it to April Jackass day.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Didn't blizzard announce World of Starcraft a couple of years ago as an April fool's joke?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These are the only acceptable April Fools' jokes:

20050331h.jpg

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, as an aside, my plan for April Fools' Day:

At work, we have this wall of pictures in black frames of each member of the photo staff. Its 3 rows, 3 columns, so there's 9 pictures. It looks like the Brady Bunch. So, tomorrow night after work, I'm going to go in with this picture and put her in place of one of the people that actually works there.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    01ds4.jpg
    Videos turned out to be from the modded PC version. I so wanted this to be real. :|

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I dunno, the one time my little sister put plastic wrap on the toilet and actually caught my mom with the joke was hilarious. Doubley good cuz my mom made my sister clean it up. My sister was 7 or something.

But no time for that, yeah, fuck April Fools Day. Except for the ThinkGeek shirt, fuck it to heck.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    These are the only acceptable April Fools' jokes:

20050331h.jpg

Haha, I remember that comic.

I love that comic. :^:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Dude. The Simpsons.

"April Foo-" *BOOM*

Now that I think about it, that one scene may well be the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Graviija on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Not true. For example, there was a famous April Fool's joke perpetrated by the BBC in the 1950s. In a three-minute segment they announced that there had been a bumper crop of spaghetti in Switzerland thanks to the near-eradication of the spaghetti weevil. The program went on to show people happily harvesting spaghetti from trees, and explained the horticultural merits of different strains of spaghetti and how to obtain the perfect length.

It caused such a stir that hundreds of people called the BBC the next day to inquire how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. They were directed to "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best".

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spoilered for old news
    GIA.jpg

:(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, I remember the days I was online before I started going to message boards. April Fools was just another day that I often forgot. So when I went to Gamefaqs to discover it was now "GameFaX", I was actually upset.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Chance wrote: »

Not true. For example, there was a famous April Fool's joke perpetrated by the BBC in the 1950s. In a three-minute segment they announced that there had been a bumper crop of spaghetti in Switzerland thanks to the near-eradication of the spaghetti weevil. The program went on to show people happily harvesting spaghetti from trees, and explained the horticultural merits of different strains of spaghetti and how to obtain the perfect length.

It caused such a stir that hundreds of people called the BBC the next day to inquire how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. They were directed to "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best".

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

i know ive seen it

i was talking games related april foolery

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is odd.

Anyone who believes any of these April Fool's Day jokes deserves to have their bubble burst.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blizzard's April Fools stuff can be good, but we know it's coming and it's blatantly obvious.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This thread is odd.

Anyone who believes any of these April Fool's Day jokes deserves to have their bubble burst.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

certainly orders of magnitude more believable than 99% of the shit that does get released every year.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is odd.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

Would buy.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is odd.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

I'd rather believe in Lego Halo than a sequel to 50 Cent: Bulletproof

Guess which one is real

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A really good April Fools prank plays on hopes and fears that you didn't even know that you had. Ideally, you should be angry when you find out not because you were fooled, but because now you know you'll never have what was claimed to exist.

jothki on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fugitive wrote: »
    This thread is odd.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

Would buy.

This is why april fools day was created.
    Market Research.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is odd.

Lego Halo? Really?

Really?

I think that the point of this thread is so we can have something to link to when all of the idiots start pouring in and begin starting topics on imaginary games.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    A really good April Fools prank plays on hopes and fears that you didn't even know that you had. Ideally, you should be angry when you find out not because you were fooled, but because now you know you'll never have what was claimed to exist.

While most people would argue that those are the worst kind of April Fool jokes, it wouldn't be all bad if it was completely limited to the one day. The problem comes with this industry and jackasses like EGM who start their jokes all the way in February. Or god help you if April 1st is on a Saturday, because then you got retards doing their joke either the day before, or on the following Monday.

The week preceeding and the week following April 1st is just one giant clusterfuck.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good April fools jokes make a completely BS claim with a straight face while including many obvious clues that its a sham usually satirizing the subject involved
    EGM's are just dickish attempts to get people to do stupid things like get 50 kills Cruel Melee I mean wtf why subject some gullible person to that shit

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mushroom Kingdom Hearts

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mushroom Kingdom Hearts

That one was actually quite hilarious and only the truly stupid believed it

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wind waker with TP graphics

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wind waker with TP graphics

Interesting example. Both plays on hopes and mocks the people hoping. The people who have taste get to enjoy the disappointment of those who don't.

jothki on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Remember how people last year thought Rock Band was an April Fool's Day joke?

They were wrong.

They were dead wrong.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait wait wait. Downloadable content for the wii, Twilight Princess particularly, starting in May, which isn't a april fools joke?

WTF?

Link?

EDIT: I know this was discussed when the game launched, but afaik not a word has been said about it since.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not that many poeple read it, but N-Europe's april fools day gag, as long as they only stick with the one planned, does not contain douchbaggery, although some of the staff tried. Myself and a few other staffers argued the point that pissing off our readers by setting them up for disapointment is stupid, but making them laugh is A-OK.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blizzard's April Fools stuff can be good, but we know it's coming and it's blatantly obvious.

Last year, one guy I know really wanted the tin foil hat to be real and thought it could be. He's . . . done a lot of drugs throughout his life though.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I still get a chuckle out of the Pandaren Express gag

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh Goddamit, I was just about to make the Mythbusting 2.0 thread, since I made it last year. I hate you.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The best part about Blizzard's april fools jackassery is that it often times comes true in some way.
    Panderan's as the fifth race? Well, they got a hero in the game anyway
    Secret cow level? In Diablo II.

Of course, that's also the worst part about it, in that you never really know if it's going to happen or not.

see317 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's a Helpful link to put in the OP for nongame realted, but tech related gags: http://aprilfoolsdayontheweb.com/2008.html

LewieP still owes me a cock eating from Last Year for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Maybe I should PM his mom so she can make him hold true to his bet.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

LewieP still owes me a cock eating from Last Year for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Maybe I should PM his mom so she can make him hold true to his bet.
    Oh snap!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    gamefaqs.jpg

Oh wait that actually happened.

Dear god, I used to go to the gamefaqs forums.

On second thought, maybe that acquisition was for the best. I'm going to go shower now to wash off the shame.

Nocturne on