As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Melodramatic Games

2»

• Options
    RosettiRosetti Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kingdom Hearts 2

WTF is that bullshit?

I think I lost a inch or two from my penis after playing that game.

When you pick up a game that has Donald and Goofy standing astride a pointy haired child on the box and don't expect something that falls between anime stupidity and a sapfest, you deserve that kind of castration!

Sort of gratifying that OP mentioned Eternal Sonata as an example, because that's the game that first sprung to mind when I glanced at the thread. When you have that kind of subject matter, you can't make it anything less than awesome. It was a high concept that the writers either lost interest in or simply did not have the imagination to write properly, so what we got was felt like a by-the-numbers melodrama of rushed narrative steeped in pretentious anime bullshit. The disappointment was crushing.

Rosetti on
    warcrueid_standing.gif
    A crude broom stand.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Man, all I know is that Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has by far one of the best trailers ever. It gets me so fucking amped every time I see it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/9740.html

Then I played five with a friend and we both agreed...not a game for us.

Play Ace Combat 4. It doesn't match the trailer for Zero, but it's good. It doesn't have the bullshit that 5 has.

4 and zero are pretty much the best games ever.

I still need to get Zero. Has it gone down to $20 yet?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, all I know is that Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has by far one of the best trailers ever. It gets me so fucking amped every time I see it.

Play Ace Combat 4. It doesn't match the trailer for Zero, but it's good. It doesn't have the bullshit that 5 has.

Bullshit? FUCK YOU HOMOFAG DOUCHENOZZLE AC5 IS THE BEST SHIT SINCE SLICED CRACK BREAD.

Renzo, more like Gayzo.
    I may be a fanboy

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2008

4 and zero are pretty much the best games ever.

I still need to get Zero. Has it gone down to $20 yet?

Zero might never get to $20, it's getting rare at least around these parts I don't know nationally.

Kagera on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISmPmdUhYA&feature=related

...though this is horrible to the point of hilarity.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation and Lost Planet were the two most recent "angst ridden melodrama" games I'd played. Fortunately you can just skip through the story cut scenes. :)

BrandXSavior on
    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLuXNpUF7w&feature=related

Better? Or Worse?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, this:

Better? Or Worse?

I won't lie, that shit made me sad when I was 11.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, this:

Better? Or Worse?

hahaha that was hilarious.

I think I am noticing a trend in all of these games.
    The trend is Anime.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Play Bioshock to wash the melodrama away.
    And replace it with five kinds of fucked up.
    But well written fucked up.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd rather take seven shades of fucked up than the standard JRPG melodrama bullshit.

*Hugs his copies of DDS, Nocturne and Persona 3*

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love making sweeping generalizations, as we all do here in G+T, so I submit that Japan has a huge (or very petit) boner for melodrama. Everything is so dramatic and there is almost always a philosophical circle-jerk by the end of the game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I love making sweeping generalizations, as we all do here in G+T, so I submit that Japan has a huge (or very petit) boner for melodrama. Everything is so dramatic and there is almost always a philosophical circle-jerk by the end of the game.
    I know that japanese writers are quite capable of writing great, non-sappy stories, it's just that we always seem to get the overdramatic crap instead.

Of course, the western gaming world has plenty of this as well. Bioware, I'm looking at you...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008

I was just going to submit "Every JRPG ever made." Even the comparatively good ones. I mean, we're still mostly in an era where a "well-written" video game is mostly well-written only when compared with the status quo for games. I'm playing Eternal Sonata right now - which I like, btw - and I saw it getting praise for its well-written story tackling mature issues in a thoughtful manner. No, it just uses simplistic caricatures of each binary side for a number of modern issues - war, environmentalism, other crap - and wraps them in standard wussy teenage love drama.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

"You people sound like chapters out of a self-help booklet!"

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization.
    Sounds like most (all?) games anyway.

Basically speaking, games need some kind of drama in order to justify the premise. The way to find drama is to create conflict. So games usually go in one of two directions, generic characters with a single defining characteristic pumped up to 10 or a little bit of the ultra-violence (literal conflict). Frankly, if the alternative to current practices is to license Uncle Vanya into a game then I'd rather have spike-haired goofs running around bitching about their lot in life.

That being said, there are particularly egregious examples (most do seem to come from Japan) of which Ace Combat 5 could be the poster child.

By the way...
    Chopper dies.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    By the way...
    Chopper dies.
    And everyone rejoiced...

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey.

Anime can do drama well. Also, I would like to say this thread has been hilarious thus far.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anime can do drama well.
    Sometimes it can. Your avatar being one of the examples. :)

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

"You people sound like chapters out of a self-help booklet!"

Kefka has to be the least melodramatic villain in any RPG ever.

Which is quite a contrast to the rest of the game.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't find Cloud to be whiny at all, really.

He was more like "Hey guys, why don't we just forget about my problems and go kill Sephiroth k?"

Squall, on the other hand...

Squall never whined vocally... unfortunately we could read his thoughts :P

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Rohan wrote: »

He was more like "Hey guys, why don't we just forget about my problems and go kill Sephiroth k?"

I'm not sure that entire paragraphs of "....." could be considered thoughts, though..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

I'm not sure that entire paragraphs of "....." could be considered thoughts, though..

It could be Morse Code.

Maybe he's saying "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

Garthor on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, just because he'd hate that so much, I'm gonna go ahead and refer to Squall in the past tense now.

Squall was a pissy emofag.

I always saw him as a parody, actually.
    It makes the game immeasurably more entertaining.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Also, just because he'd hate that so much, I'm gonna go ahead and refer to Squall in the past tense now.

Squall was a pissy emofag.

I always saw him as a parody, actually.
    It makes the game immeasurably more entertaining.

That scene is so hilarious because nobody's talking and Squall just gets lost in his thoughts for 15 fucking minutes and runs off on a stupid tangent and manages to move himself enough to go out screaming "I DON'T WANNA BE A PAST TENSE!!!" with no provocation, running out crying, with everyone just sort of looking at him going O_O

Also, I move for this thread's title to be changed to "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHGLBHRRRH"

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grandia 2.
    Tales of Symphonia.

Both really horrible.

I'd also include Golden Sun but that was more a problem of it being written at a fourth grade level.

august on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MGS2's Rose is a combo of all the bad stereotypes of that annoying ex-girlfriend you used to have. I don't even know what they were thinking.

JACK DO YOU ONLY GO OUT WITH ME CUZ IM BEAUTIFUL:!?

also, every cutscene is the dynasty warriors games are hilariously over the top in a cheesy melodramatic way.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trauma Center on the DS had some misplaced melodrama.

"Doctor, just let keep cutting myself at night. The world is too bleak. I want to die."

The next day, the patient's life is genuinely in danger - "Save me, Doctor Stiles. I want to liiive!"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

"Doctor, just let keep cutting myself at night. The world is too bleak. I want to die."

The next day, the patient's life is genuinely in danger - "Save me, Doctor Stiles. I want to liiive!"

Actually, I find that entirely credible.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Actually, I find that entirely credible.

Yeah, I recall reading a stat awhile back that suggested that many of those who were rescued after a suicide attempt claimed to have immediately regretted the decision. I have not, however, been able to find those numbers.

I note that Emn left out an important factor in that story, as well: Stiles has a conversation that evening about how she shouldn't want to die, and so it's not like she just changed her mind at the last second, in any case.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    also, every cutscene is the dynasty warriors games is hilariously awesome in a cheesy melodramatic way.

Fixed that for you.

Also, they aren't melodramatic, really. Just funny.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    also, every cutscene is the dynasty warriors games is hilariously awesome in a cheesy melodramatic way.

Fixed that for you.

Also, they aren't melodramatic, really. Just funny.

Liu Bei FTW.

"I fight for the people... and the land. But what do the people what for the land? How can I fight for the people?

The LAND MUST BE UNITED!"

S0up on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh man Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, home of the funniest scenes I've ever watched.

Especially with all the trannies.

Kagera on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Erchamion wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Lost Odyssey.

God the plot was awful and contrived.

Damnit! I was really looking forward to getting that game from my gamer queue.

Damn you sissy game development writers!!! Damn you to hell!

Don't let one guy on a forum ruin it for you. I'm about halfway through disc 2 and loving the majority of the game. There are certain annoying characters that could be removed without hurting the story, but it's definitely not the the point of "fuck this game it's dumb."

Indeed. I did not mean to imply it was a bad game, but for a game that is so story focused it is not its strongest point.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Trauma Centre's melodrama wasn't too bad, but there's was so much of it. It was click-click-click-why won't you let me operate-click for minutes before getting to cut people open.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Definitely Tales of Symphonia. It's an awesome game, but it suffers.

reasoning including major spoilers
    everybody dies. one, by one, they all sacrifice themselves- first Regal, which is pretty hard-hitting, because he's kinda cool, and you actually think he's gone for good. but then when the others start sacrificing themselves (in cutscenes involving only them and Lloyd for whatever reason, the other party members cease to exist and/or refuse to help until their specific special moments) your disbelief is suspended only by the gravity of having lost EVERY party member you ever had, only for you to finally reach the end of the section, expecting a climactic one-on-one battle. but no, the game is all "haha pranked kratos/zelos saved them all only you couldnt see friends reunited yay" and you're just left in a state of WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

don't get me wrong, the story DID have its moments. it wasn't all contrived bullshit (although most of it was.) even watching Colette lose her senses seemed pretty dark, in a way. Mithos was a great character and villain, and actually had a reason to be all emofag- but god damn if the game didnt milk every last ounce of drama.

i thought Golden Sun wasn't that bad. the writing was kinda shit, but the story held up- and none of the characters were whiny for the sake of it. that was important.

Not Uncle Dave on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is Persona 3 considered melodramatic? If it is, it's definitely a game where the melodrama is done right.

I'm also playing through Yakuza now, another game where I feel the melodrama is done well.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the group hug and warm encouragement most Japanese games give you before facing the final boss a kind of melodrama? You can do it and the power of friendship and all that rot. Or is that kitsch?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That would be more kitsch. I think melodrama in that scenario would be if suddenly party members started breaking down and you got even more exposition and character development.

Santa Claustrophobia on