As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sisters computer borke!

KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
(doubleposting in H/A and Tech, since it works in both)

Ok, so my sister is in Georgia, and her computer seems to have bit the big one kind of, and trying to help her out over the phone is about as difficult as, say, trying to help people over the internets.

So she hasn't used this desktop in years, and she brought it to Georgria for her job, since her laptop basically exploded(The battery will only charge for 10 minutes of time, and it won't run off A/C). She's going to get an Eee when the 900 series comes out, but until then was going to try to string this thing along 'till the 900s cam out.

So, the desktop is about 6 or 7 years old, I think it's a Dell, and now it's all broken. She can start it in safe mode, but then can't really do anything, and if she tries to start in normal mode, it restarts, tells her windows wasn't shut down properly, and she has the same menu.

Obviously the first thing I did was told her to mash F12, and turn off the "restart on crash" thing so I could check the error report, but she couldn't find it in the menu, and since I'm hours away by flight, I can't just head down and figure it out myself.

Another problem is that she ran a virus scan(Symantec I think. Don't ask me why I told her to get Avast or AVG), and it came up with something like 30,000 overnight, before it went into the crash loop.

So summarized: I'm trying to fix a computer that's a 12 hour drive away in a crash loop where I can't get the Blue Screen error codes or run the WinDbg thing on the crash logs. The computer was heavily infected with viruses and is 7 years old.

Is there anything I can do or is she basically going to have to be without the intertubes 'till the Eee900 comes out?

Khavall on

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yank the drive, slap a new one in, then dust off and nuke the old one from orbit?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    since her laptop basically exploded(The battery will only charge for 10 minutes of time, and it won't run off A/C).

Does she still have this laptop? Has she tried running the laptop on AC power with the battery removed?

Djeet on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have the laptop, it doesn't run on AC with battery removed. Actually I think I found the part that I need when I opened it up, I ordered a new one for $5 so hopefully it'll work.

Khavall on