As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: Return of the Moustache

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

[realspoiler:500069e8e0]Think Baltar will get elected for another term?[/realspoiler:500069e8e0]

Man, when [spoiler:500069e8e0] Cylons control the planet do you think they will even have elections? Also, how long are colonial presidents' terms?[/spoiler:500069e8e0]

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

[realspoiler:d0898de202]Think Baltar will get elected for another term?[/realspoiler:d0898de202]

Man, when [spoiler:d0898de202] Cylons control the planet do you think they will even have elections? Also, how long are colonial presidents' terms?[/spoiler:d0898de202]

Probably 4 years or so....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    GAH!

What a god damn awesome return to form. And just like Moore's Wife predicted, I would hate and be angry at him about what he did in that last thirty minutes. And then realise what an awesome idea it was and praise him, PRAISE HIM.

[spoiler:6ba2a93f7c]I got the sense Dee was god damn annoyed that her hot pilot dude had stacked on the kilos. Or donned the unconvincing fat suit, at least. ;) I'm so happy they didn't do what I expected and blow up Pegasus with that Nuke. I'm so thrilled that ship is still around.[/spoiler:6ba2a93f7c]

I don't like Baltar quite so much any more...

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Yeah, I think it's pretty hard for him to be sympathetic anymore.

[realspoiler:f7674d7a1b]How fuck does one man doom the human race twice in two years without having at least some unconcious contempt for his own species? :P [/realspoiler:f7674d7a1b]

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    GAH!

What a god damn awesome return to form. And just like Moore's Wife predicted, I would hate and be angry at him about what he did in that last thirty minutes. And then realise what an awesome idea it was and praise him, PRAISE HIM.

[spoiler:ef08957e09]I got the sense Dee was god damn annoyed that her hot pilot dude had stacked on the kilos. Or donned the unconvincing fat suit, at least. ;) I'm so happy they didn't do what I expected and blow up Pegasus with that Nuke. I'm so thrilled that ship is still around.[/spoiler:ef08957e09]

I don't like Baltar quite so much any more...

Pegasus is a liability now though isn't it, I mean it's network is hackable no?

I honestly have go no clue as to what'll happen next... I mean, like Adama was saying,[spoiler:ef08957e09] there's no one really around to staff the Battlestars....[/spoiler:ef08957e09]

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I think as far as the pegasus being hacked didn't they have Baltar do some work for them?

It's held up pretty well in most fights, especially in that one episode where they ambushed em.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I think as far as the pegasus being hacked didn't they have Baltar do some work for them?

It's held up pretty well in most fights, especially in that one episode where they ambushed em.

All I could do was scream "Don't do it dumb ass" repeadtedly during that episode....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    ThylinasThylinas Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    My theory:

[spoiler:0866a5ae30]There are two factions of Cylons. One that wants to destroy all of humanity, one that doesn't.

The faction that doesn't want to destroy humanity just took over New Caprica to protect it from the other faction.

The Adamas are going to fuck some shit up and, in doing so, will piss off both factions of Cylons.

When will Tyrol release his manifesto? [/spoiler:0866a5ae30]

Thylinas on
    My signature was sucking, so I changed it.
    It still sucks though.
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    [spoiler:fd6b2ef5b5]The Adamas can't do much, it'd be like throwing pebbles around... Unless they're gonna go after more allies... If the 12 colonies WERE abandoned, would it possible that they go back on a slightly larger scale rescue op?[/spoiler:fd6b2ef5b5]

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    ThylinasThylinas Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I think that you are underestimating the Adamas' ability to fuck shit up.

Also,

[spoiler:2694b7f1e1]Can anyone else see Adama potentially having to make the same decisions that Admiral Cain had to make, now that he's in a similar situation?[/spoiler:2694b7f1e1]

Thylinas on
    My signature was sucking, so I changed it.
    It still sucks though.
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    [spoiler:2519eacf94]perhaps the adamas will seek out Earth in hopes for reinforcements?[/spoiler:2519eacf94]

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Gnasty wrote:
    [spoiler:19800dab11]perhaps the adamas will seek out Earth in hopes for reinforcements?[/spoiler:19800dab11]

[spoiler:19800dab11]Hate to break it to em', but we can't exactly help... We're havin' trouble gettin' to Mars bucko....[/spoiler:19800dab11]

tee hee

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I need to turn into a bear and hibernate till October. Then turn back into a human... after mauling several of my enemies.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    7 months is SO long. I think I'll just rewatch the entire show over and over and over until October.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Gnasty wrote:
    7 months is SO long. I think I'll just rewatch the entire show over and over and over until October.

I didn't even realize it was the season finale until after I had watched it. When it was over I was thinking "wow, they don't have a lot of episodes left this season to work with...I think we're in for a cliffhanger."

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I'm just used to 22 and 24 episode seasons.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    mcdermott wrote:
    Gnasty wrote:

I didn't even realize it was the season finale until after I had watched it. When it was over I was thinking "wow, they don't have a lot of episodes left this season to work with...I think we're in for a cliffhanger."

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I'm just used to 22 and 24 episode seasons.

Better than Season one... Damn 13 episodes.....

Here we got 20 and a half...

I dunno what I'm going to do for the next 7 months..... Maybe the EaW mod teams will finish that BSG mod.. That might fix me for a bit....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    All I gotta say is that this shit better be a fucking dream.

If they don't pull a Dallas on this shit I'm not gonna watch anymore. This is horsecock.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

If they don't pull a Dallas on this shit I'm not gonna watch anymore. This is horsecock.
    thank you for being the reason that a majority of television is a majority of formulaic, episodic crap.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    WHY wrote:

thank you for being the reason that a majority of television is a majority of formulaic, episodic crap.

Here, here...

What is this Dallas crap you speak of anyways?

Edit: You don't think they'd pull a time paradox episode on our eyes do you? I mean, [spoiler:1ec8f3c4c0]Adamas find some orb that can send say Admiral Adama back in time to not be the cause of Baltar winning...[/spoiler:1ec8f3c4c0]

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    It just threw me for a loop. Don't get me wrong, I like change as much as anyone but this is just way far out there. I'll probably change my mind later, but (after just seeing it for the first time) it really sucks.

I wish they wouldn't make us wait until next season.[spoiler:210969b44d] I'm just pissed off that they pulled this 'One Year Later' crap. I hate that.[/spoiler:210969b44d]

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    It's because for an entire year all they do is worry about settling on the planet. There are no cylons, just petty political squabbles and Baltar being a terrible president. They could squeeze out a few episodes, but there wouldn't be a lot of substance.

I like the sudden change. It's unexpected and throws you for a loop, but I think that's good. I'm glad that they're willing to take chances.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    You couldn't have gotten a single episode out of that one year.

BattleStar Galactica without the cylons.

Gee, why not see a batman movie without criminals? An episode of Law and order in which no one gets tried?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Altimus PrimeAltimus Prime Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I can't help but find some of the themes in the show disturbing. They seem intent on forcing you to sympathize with the cylons, but I just can't. Anyone who knows anything about robotics knows you can make something look human, but that doesn't make it any less artificial. I felt like the cylons choosing to appear human was a sick, twisted way to exploit our human empathy. It made me hate them more than anything else, even the destruction of Caprica.

Because of that, every time they killed a cylon (especially a human-looking one) I felt nothing but relief.

Am I a monster?

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    To me BSG has always been about being on a ship, looking for earth.

[spoiler:f5c71cde2a]Having two extremely undermanned Battlestars and a loose collection of ships does not for a good series make. And I find it hard to believe that Kara Thrace would give it up and go civilian. [/spoiler:f5c71cde2a]

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I can't help but find some of the themes in the show disturbing. They seem intent on forcing you to sympathize with the cylons, but I just can't. Anyone who knows anything about robotics knows you can make something look human, but that doesn't make it any less artificial. I felt like the cylons choosing to appear human was a sick, twisted way to exploit our human empathy. It made me hate them more than anything else, even the destruction of Caprica.

Because of that, every time they killed a cylon (especially a human-looking one) I felt nothing but relief.

Am I a monster?

As Fisk said: "You can't rape a machine."

But the Pegasus crewmen who assaulted Gina clearly raped her in all of the important senses of the word. Even if it was a simulated rape, they weren't playing.

Galactica argues that we have to treat our enemies with humanity, no matter how inhuman they are, because if we don't, we run the risk of losing our own.
    [spoiler:ef0e5c487f]I find it hard to believe that Kara Thrace would give it up and go civilian. [/spoiler:ef0e5c487f]

I don't.

[spoiler:ef0e5c487f]Kara is an abused child, remember. Her mother taught her that she has to aggressively go out and look for trouble, because - deep down - she deserves the punishment. That's why she flies dangerous missions. That's why she habitually sabotages her relationship with Lee.

Anders provided an "out" for Kara. She felt that - with him - she could escape her psychological feedback loop by starting a family, and assuming her mother's role.

She's wrong, of course. It's just another example of a stupid decision made by a character during the missing year.[/spoiler:ef0e5c487f]

Anyways, shouldn't you be glad that Galactica is deeper and more involved than you expected? I mean, how long could they keep the same old formula going before it became restrictive?

Change is good.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006
    To me BSG has always been about being on a ship, looking for earth.

[spoiler:ad6c28f617]Having two extremely undermanned Battlestars and a loose collection of ships does not for a good series make. And I find it hard to believe that Kara Thrace would give it up and go civilian. [/spoiler:ad6c28f617]

[spoiler:ad6c28f617]I doubt she did, right away. They'd been there over a year. After six months of flying patrol, with absolutly zero action, and the possability of solid ground beneath your feet with a sky above your head down on the planet, I think even Starbuck would give it up.[/spoiler:ad6c28f617]

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:

Am I a monster?

As Fisk said: "You can't rape a machine."

But the Pegasus crewmen who assaulted Gina clearly raped her in all of the important senses of the word. Even if it was a simulated rape, they weren't playing.

Galactica argues that we have to treat our enemies with humanity, no matter how inhuman they are, because if we don't, we run the risk of losing our own.

Not treating the toasters with the decency humans treat each other as sentient beings would make the people as cold and heartless as the machines that are tryting to kill them.

On the other hand we have the machines commit mass genocide for reasons that by their own admission made them as imperfect as the humans they hated.

So they're trying hard not to become like the opposing side (as they see each other with their preconceived notions). In the end, they both failed and neither wants to come out and fully admit it yet.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:

Anyways, shouldn't you be glad that Galactica is deeper and more involved than you expected? I mean, how long could they keep the same old formula going before it became restrictive?

Change is good.

I guess. I dunno, I just had gotten used to enjoying the show a *lot* and now they go and turn everything upside down.

We'll see, I guess. :?

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2006

Am I a monster?

Why Altimus, you sound like a theist, what with your assertions that machines are some how fundamnetally different than humans. Tsk tsk. I expected more from you than base dualist philosophies. :-P

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Why Altimus, HURRRRRRRR!

That's getting old. You can only abuse a tautology so much.
    what with your assertions that machines are some how fundamnetally different than humans. Tsk tsk. I expected more from you than base dualist philosophies. :-P

I can see that you're playing the devil's advocate for the sake of humor, but there is a fundamental difference. One of the two had a natural origin. Any differences beyond that (right to life, status as sentient or nonsentient) venture well into the philosophical, but there is most certainly a concrete distinction between organics and machines.

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    I can see that you're playing the devil's advocate for the sake of humor, but there is a fundamental difference. One of the two had a natural origin. Any differences beyond that (right to life, status as sentient or nonsentient) venture well into the philosophical, but there is most certainly a concrete distinction between organics and machines.
    Actually, I'm not. I firmly believe that there is no relevent difference between a human and an intelligent machine. What if you make a machine entirely out of organic parts? Is it still a machine or a human?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Meh, one could argue the brain is only a pack of neurons storing data while receiving and sending electric impulses.

Sounds familiar?

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    What if you make a machine entirely out of organic parts? Is it still a machine or a human?

It's an inhuman organism.
    Mei Hikari wrote:
    Meh, one could argue the brain is only a pack of neurons storing data while receiving and sending electric impulses.

Sounds familiar?

Ah, "Outer Limits" philosophy. Keep on rockin'.

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    What if you make a machine entirely out of organic parts? Is it still a machine or a human?

It's an inhuman organism.
    Mei Hikari wrote:

Sounds familiar?

Ah, materialist philosophy. Keep on rockin'.

Fix'd. Seriously, though, Alty, there is absolutely ZERO difference between a Turing machine and the human brain on any level, unless you start coming up with notions like "the soul" and such. Humans are organic machines, period.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Does BSG air anytime during the work week in Canada?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Seriously, though, Alty, there is absolutely ZERO difference between a Turing machine and the human brain on any level, unless you start coming up with notions like "the soul" and such. Humans are organic machines, period.

802g.gif

Remember the scientist at the end of that episode? Oh, how I lol'd.

You should make that guy your avatar. :wink:

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Seriously, though, Alty, there is absolutely ZERO difference between a Turing machine and the human brain on any level, unless you start coming up with notions like "the soul" and such. Humans are organic machines, period.

802g.gif

Remember the scientist at the end of that episode? Oh, how I lol'd.

You should make that guy your avatar. :wink:

I have not seen that episode.

Anyway, I can't see how you can possibly claim to be an atheist and adhere to a decidedly non-materialist/monist philosophy.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    I have to say I got a kick everytime a Six died (Starbuck clubbing her with a fire extinguisher for example). Not because I think she's a machine and a cylon, just because she's an insane genocidal bitch.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2006
    Anyway, I can't see how you can possibly claim to be an atheist and adhere to a decidedly non-materialist/monist philosophy.

Luckily you do not define my philosophy. If you would relax and stop telling me what I do and do not believe (for instance, I do not believe in the existence of souls despite what you have claimed) I might have time to correct you.

To state that there is no difference between a human brain and a turing machine is ludicrous. One is natural in origin, the other is not. You may narrow your argument by claiming that if the output of one is indistinguishable from the other, they are effectively the same. This, too, is false. Their output is the same. The fact remains that one was manually fabricated, and the other arose naturally. A tape recorder playing back the call of a songbird may fool another songbird into responding, but it is still just a tape recorder.

This does not mean we have souls. The human brain most certainly is a machine of sorts, but it is drastically different from any computer that we know exists today. My argument is that there is no reason to assume that just because a brain and a computer perform similar tasks, they must perform them in the same way.

My initial argument likely drew your ire (and led you to make the telltale tautologous comparison) because it sounded similar to philosophical claims that humans are somehow different, special, and above other forms of life. (the "soul" being the rationale behind this) However I make no such claim. Merely that the human brain, while a machine, computes in a manner that is quite different from any artificial machine we have observed thus far.

Altimus Prime on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2006

Luckily you do not define my philosophy. If you would relax and stop telling me what I do and do not believe (for instance, I do not believe in the existence of souls despite what you have claimed) I might have time to correct you.

To state that there is no difference between a human brain and a turing machine is ludicrous. One is natural in origin, the other is not. You may narrow your argument by claiming that if the output of one is indistinguishable from the other, they are effectively the same. This, too, is false. Their output is the same. The fact remains that one was manually fabricated, and the other arose naturally. A tape recorder playing back the call of a songbird may fool another songbird into responding, but it is still just a tape recorder.

This does not mean we have souls. The human brain most certainly is a machine of sorts, but it is drastically different from any computer that we know exists today. My argument is that there is no reason to assume that just because a brain and a computer perform similar tasks, they must perform them in the same way.

My initial argument likely drew your ire (and led you to make the telltale tautologous comparison) because it sounded similar to philosophical claims that humans are somehow different, special, and above other forms of life. (the "soul" being the rationale behind this) However I make no such claim. Merely that the human brain, while a machine, computes in a manner that is quite different from any artificial machine we have observed thus far.

What about IVF babies?

Your position doesn't actually say why we should treat Cylons differently, only that their evolutionary heritage traces to human intervention.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.