As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Love (No Love?) for Universe at War 360?

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
See, I was totally gonna buy World in Conflict this month. But then she was delayed. Now I'm left with Universe at War and Supreme Commander for the month of April.

Thinking about dancin on down to a brick and mortar store and picking up Universe at War for the 360. However, there are very few reviews. Usually not a good sign.

I turn to the PA community for impressions. Did the port handle the controls alright?

Can anyone compare it to Command and Conquer 3?

Should I just wait and come back and make a similar thread for Supreme Commander?

Or should I just wait for World in Conflict and EndWar?

Sheep on

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I...

can never remember which of those games is which.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Universe at War is the good one.

The_Scarab on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I...

Doesn't it? This is how I keep them organized:

Supreme Commander - By the guy who did Total Annihilation. No one who liked Total Annihilation liked this game as far as I know.

Universe at War - Kinda wacky, kinda humorous. Lots of throwbacks to other games. Giant Robots. Etc.

EndWar - Looks really good, has potential, but could fall flat because it uses voice commands. Oh, and it was also previewed by a bunch of giggling varsity chicks who spent more time slapping and tickling each other in amazement at the pretty graphics than actually talking about what's going on in game.

World in Conflict - Alternate reality one. Insanely good reviews on the PC. Probably the one I've anticipated most.

Sheep on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd get Universe at War if it was like a RTS Earth Defense Force 2017.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd get Universe at War if it was like a RTS Earth Defense Force 2017.

I think that's it.

Sheep on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played a bit of Universe at War for the PC and I thought it was pretty stupid. Controlling the last of an alien species that looks just like a human and her name is Mirabel and I'm riding inside a Gundam. :/

Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake though.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I picked it up on saturday. My opinions on it are thus:

Really nice control scheme once you get used to it. This is a big deal, because for the first 6-7 missions that you aren't used to it, you'll start falling flat on your face.

So far, things are balanced nicely, although I have found that spamming Corruptors and Dervishes pretty much annihilate anything I've come across so far, as long as I don't fight any anti-air turrets.

Graphics are nice, but there's alot of slowdown. Randomly too. I can have upwards of 60 units on the screen, fighting a crapload of other enemies, and there's no slowdown. 2 guys building something? Slowdown happens. It's random, but annoying.

I've had issues with the game not loading the save games. Dunno if that's because of my 360 or what (new unit, not refurbed), and it's only to this game.

There's a hero system which is pretty fleshed out, no leveling up like in WC3, but some nice abilities that can save your group. Each hero is pretty much a completely different character, so there's a nice uniqueness to it.

I'd say if you're into micromanagement, like WC3, this is a good buy. If you're more into macromanagement, resource gathering, you can pass on this.

If anyone has it, I'd love to play online. GT in sig, as always.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dunno about UaW, but I'd strongly suggest getting SupCom on the PC, since all indications are that the 360 version doesn't work that well

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • diabloblanco18diabloblanco18 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played a bit of Universe at War for the PC and I thought it was pretty stupid. Controlling the last of an alien species that looks just like a human and her name is Mirabel and I'm riding inside a Gundam. :/

Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake though.

You probably wouldn't be too thrilled near the end of the second campaign, then, when you find out that the Masari look just like humans too.

I thought it was a rather meh game. Couldn't be arsed to finish the last campaign.

diabloblanco18 on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Supreme Commander - By the guy who did Total Annihilation. No one who liked Total Annihilation liked this game as far as I know.

23315246.jpg

Veegeezee on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I...

And that would be a HECK NO from me. I love both.

SupCom is very much the evolution of Total Annihilation with a more streamlined interface and strategy. The only problem with the game is that there isn't as much differentiation between the 3 - 4 sides that there could be.

But there is something really epic about handling land, sea and air defensive and offensive operations taking place simultaneously across entire maps. The strategic zoom and easy build queue ordering (you can even set up building templates for structures and defences if you want) really help to keep you focussed on the overall strategy. It's a large scale game that likes to focus a lot more on its grand strategy than low level micro. Combined arms is pretty crucial to achieve anything. SupCom was probably the first RTS that I actually had trouble playing the first level on until I got that fact into my skull, which was actually pretty cool for me.

Although the big question is how well it's transferred over to 360 controls. The strategic zoom was a pretty heavy defining feature and allowed for the removal of the minimap (which until now has been pretty standard in RTS's ). If they've implemented that and unit selection OK, they it could work, but otherwise I could see the game getting very frustrating to play.
    World in Conflict - Alternate reality one. Insanely good reviews on the PC. Probably the one I've anticipated most.

World in Conflict is pretty awesome. Play it for the multiplayer, it's like the RTS equivalent of Counter Strike in a lot of ways. Everyone has control of their squads and need to co-ordinate in order to make progress against the opposition. MP is an easy drop in-drop out affair with matches lasting around 20 minutes. The more successful your attacks are, the more points you earn, the more tactical support you can call in (things like artillery strikes, napalm, tank hunters etc. )

Personally I preferred Company of Heroes SP campaigns. Probably the most atmospheric WWII game I've ever played, including any FPS you'd care to mention, as well as being an awesome RTS in its own right. But I don't think that's coming to the 360 IIRC.

subedii on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I...

Hey, I liked it just fine. Mind you, my computer that could run it broke about a month after I got the game, so maybe I didn't play it enough to hate it.

Docshifty on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man I wish the devs didn't kill World at War so quickly.

within 5 updates (in a span of like a month) they managed to completely kill the community, defecate on their steaming bodies, then burying us upside down, backwards, and naked, in a shallow grave.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN