As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spectre's art thread for school-related stuff (NSF56k/scrolls)

Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOMEYESRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
So as some of you may know, I have enrolled in an introductory course for a prestigious art school in Rotterdam, and I am trying to get in there for full-time study for animation.

So here are some design sketches I am did for an animation project I'm working on that is part of my entrance exam.

Animationproject01.jpg
Animationproject02.jpg
Animationproject03.jpg
Animationproject04.jpg
Animationproject05.jpg

More to follow in the future, once I get started on designs for Spex and Squidbunny to use in the animation.

Here is stuff I did for a more general assignment:

schoolcartoonsketch01.jpg
schoolcartoon01.jpg

And links to another more general assignment I did earlier, that I will finish someday, also:

th_GraphiteRider01.jpg
th_GraphiteRider02.jpg
th_GraphiteRider03.jpg

Comments and criticism appreciated and encouraged.

Spectre-x on

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jesus Christ the Run to the Hills one is excellent & so us.

Also! <3 Grom.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ik wist niet dat je Nederlands was.

I mean

I didn't know you were Dutch.

Lovin' the art. When are you going to take over Fokke & Sukke's spot in the NRC? :D

Aldo on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No pupils, looks stupider = good

Too funny.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    all i can see is hellboy on the top guy.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How do you mean? The image doesn't load or can't you see the drawings properly due to how vague they are? If it's the latter, my scanner's not really great for pencils. I need to get a better one. If it's the former, I can't really help that. Try reloading. The hosting seems temperamental to me.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Thats a pretty nice tail-less hell boy you've got there. His body shape+much larger left hand are working against you, Id give him some more unique body adornments.

I enjoy the Indian comic muchly.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Really? I can't honestly agree that he looks like Hellboy too much, apart from the broken horn which was intended as a nod to him, and the most general shape of his body, which he shares with a host of other characters and which I chose to emphasize his reliance on brawn over brains. He's an ogre, pretty much. And even though they do have the same general body shape, Grom's body as a whole is really quite dissimilar to Hellboy's in many, many ways. His body is much more cartoonishly exxaggerated, for one, and their limbs and general postures don't match up at all. Grom's arms have a sort of Popeye-ish thing going on, and they're much longer and thicker in general.

They're also both the same size. I think the bracelet on his right arm is sort of throwing you off there. I'll get rid of it and replace it with something else or just modify it a bunch to make it more distinctive and less distracting, because looking at it again his design is somewhat unbalanced.

Still, thanks for the criticism!

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Here's another picture of Grom. I tweaked his design a bit.

Animationproject06.jpg

See how he doesn't look like Hellboy? See?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Love your art Spec and I'm glad you tweaked Grom because I was totally thinking hellboy at first. :D
    RUUUUN TOOO THEEEEE HIIIILS

edit: I also think no pupils works better, at least compared to the way you did the pupils but doing the pupils differently could work even better but that's for you to decide whether you want to fuck with it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also prefer Grom without the pupils.
    Great work on the various poses throughout all of your drawings. There always seems to be a little bit of "attitude" involved.

Also, hurray for dutch! (the language, that is..)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I confess that the karaoke comic had me a little confused as to what was going on in the left side of the last panel because I thought that was supposed to be spex, then I realized it's squid. aduh
    I love the expression on the indian in the test sketch (the one with feathers) but at the size you ended up drawing them it probably would have been too difficult to show that much detail. the end result is still fucking great.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    great stuff man! that guy didn't look all that much like hellboy to me but i prefer the new version anyway
    keep up the good work dude!

sharky t on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's his glove that makes me think of Hellboy.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Spex and Squidbunny designs for the animation thing.

Animationproject07.jpg
    Animationproject08.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mittens!
    and are her ears really obscured? or does she not have ears at all! :shock:

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    coool! really nice drawings!

just wondering how/what program you were going to use to animate all of this.

'Cause if you plan to animate all the characters as they are drawn this is going to be a really ambitious animation.

if you wanted to animate something with so much intricate detail you may want to animate this in 3d.

but hey! if you do pull this off in 2d i'd REALLY like to see it!

r-jasper on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Don't underestimate the power of those two.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spex and Squidbunny are now the ultimate powers in the universe......I suggest we use them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am legitimately interested to see an animation with anything close to the caliber of awesome presented in your paired comics. Are you guys planning on turning this into a business venture?

Shiboe on