As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unsolved Mysteries: Games That Vanish Off The Face Of The Earth

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    I cant find Halo for DS anywhere.

I'm pretty sure there's good reason for that.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy shit about Pikmin 2. It is one of my favourite games of all time. Damn near perfect in every way it tries to be. Hopefully 3 for the Wii will make it obsolete, like it did to the first game in the series when it came out.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, finally found Beautiful Katamari...for $40.

I dont know if I can justify $40 on rolling a ball around...but the music is so damn catchy...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy shit about Pikmin 2. It is one of my favourite games of all time. Damn near perfect in every way it tries to be. Hopefully 3 for the Wii will make it obsolete, like it did to the first game in the series when it came out.

To be fair Pikmin one was murdered by the time limit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I found Ico at a GameStop today. $20 used, but daaaamn

$20 is usually more than what I like to pay for a used game (I'm really cheap) but, seeing as I had never laid eyes on it up until yesterday, I bought it.

No idea that Twin Snakes and Twilight Princess on GameCube were so rare. I have both and now I'm hugging them extra-tight. Twin Snakes goes for almost $40 used now in the stores I've checked out. In 2004, when I got it, it was $15.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final Fantasy 6 for the GBA. I picked up 4 and 5 on launch day for each. When 6 came out I was deep in my last year of university with no time or money. I figured I'd get it whenever. No big deal. Today I can find 4 and 5 new in Walmarts and Superstores but I've never even seen 6 used anywhere.

What the hell?

There's a bunch in stores where I live. In fact I'm holding out hope that they will be clearanced out soon at K-Mart.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja for the DS.

I know it's an Atlus game, but I really think it doesn't exist at all. I've looked in 15 different stores, eight of them just yesterday. Two of those specialize in rare/used games. Nothing.

Play Asia, eBay, Yesasia, NCSX. Nothing. Except for some Japanese copies, which I don't want, and sketchy Hong Kong eBay stores.

I've found copies of other rare Atlus games, but this one continues to elude me.

Seriously, if anyone has a copy they want to sell or knows where they can find one and is willing to ship it, PM me.

elevature on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

I dont know if I can justify $40 on rolling a ball around...but the music is so damn catchy...

Is that the one on the 360? If so, it's not that fun. Unless it's identical to the original, in which case I am not into that game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Is that the one on the 360? If so, it's not that fun. Unless it's identical to the original, in which case I am not into that game.

Also they make you pay extra money for "new" levels that are already on the damn disk.

I love Katamari, but it's turning into an abusive relationship.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

Actually, there is no good reason for it.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/10/02/67886/

I'm no halo fan by any stretch, but dammit, that would have been sweet.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Also they make you pay extra money for "new" levels that are already on the damn disk.

I love Katamari, but it's turning into an abusive relationship.

And the saga of if I will actually purchase this game continues...

I loved the PS2 version, and Im home alone for the month so was looking for a good single player thing that didn't involve shooting anyone or millitary conflict. I figured Katamari would be the perfect mindless, fun, week killer...now its back to the drawing board...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Except that it was never a game that was going to see the light of day, as stated in the actual article you posted. I knew about this when it was so-called news and both MS and Bungie were pretty quick to note that it would not be happening.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Except that it was never a game that was going to see the light of day, as stated in the actual article you posted. I knew about this when it was so-called news and both MS and Bungie were pretty quick to note that it would not be happening.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. What are you going to tell me next? No Tooth Fairy?

I knew it would never come to fruition, hell, they (Nintendo and Microsoft) can't agree on Goldeneye as a VC or Live download. It was a joke. I didn't think anyone would take me seriously.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Personally, I thought that the time limit in Pikmin 1 was the only real challenge in the game. Without a time limit, you could seed hundreds of Pikmin of each type and let them mature to flowers, then zerg rush every hazard and miniboss at your leisure.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    gtrmp wrote: »

Personally, I thought that the time limit in Pikmin 1 was the only real challenge in the game. Without a time limit, you could seed hundreds of Pikmin of each type and let them mature to flowers, then zerg rush every hazard and miniboss at your leisure.

Your ability to farm flower Pikmin in Pikmin 2 didn't really make the game too easy or anything. The time barrier gets changed to your own boredom threshold, like in an RPG.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I picked up a PAl copy of Rez about 18 months ago for £13 in good condition save for the douches at the store putting stickers on the inlay and manual. They've also had a copy of Space Channel 5 for £15 which has been sat there for months now, I keep meaning to pick it up but haven't been able to justify it right now.

The game I've had trouble getting was FFTA for the GBA. I saw it in a store shortly after it came out but I couldn't afford it, I went by a few weeks later and it was nowhere to be seen and I have not seen a copy in stores since.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Now that you mention it Pikmin are extremely simlar to Zerg.

That makes them so much more awesome.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I"ll throw in another MG:PO, I have tried for months to find this game. I've even heard it's the worst MG entry ever. But damns I can't find it anywhere.

Tales of Destiny 2 (PS). I played this once long ago and really loved it, just can't seem to find it nowadays.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Now that you mention it Pikmin are extremely simlar to Zerg.

That makes them so much more awesome.

Blizzard should totally make a Starcraft spinoff that plays like Pikmin.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is pretty good for hack and slash as well, even if the story is beyond silly.

By the way, how much does a launch-day, non-scratched copy of FFVIII go for nowadays? On the one hand, I like having complete video game collections, but on the other, I like money.

I like money too! We should hang out.

Ico. I found a copy in Ebgames 3 years ago for $8. It didn't work. It consistently froze at the same spot during the intro. So sad. Never seen it since.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Strangely enough, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is impossible to find, at least around here. I spent a good 2 months checking every EB and Gamestop in my area after I decided I wanted to finally buy it, and I was finally able to score a copy about 10 minutes after someone traded it in about 2 weeks ago.

cr0w on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Actually, come to think of it, a lot of DS games seem to get pretty rare. Unless it has "Mario" in the title it seems that it's hard to find a DS game after a few months, even if it is Nintendo published.

I think that's coming from the fact that you can actually swallow a DS game if you're not careful.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bubble Bobble for the original NES. I could never find it, to buy or rent. Finally found it years later for rent at some mom and pop shop.

But now EVERYONE plays Snood like its a new concept....pfft.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shadow of Rome's a hard find as well as Spartan Total War or w/e it's called. I think SoR was $30 for me used, worth every penny though, most violent game ever made :D (seriously, what other game can you cut off someones head with a scimitar, wail on someone else with it and then throw it into the crowd)

I got lucky and found Contra:Shattered Soldier in Gamestop for $12, that's the only somewhat-hard-to-find stuff I can think of that I actually own, oh except the whole Megaman Zero series. Yup, all 4 :D

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Your ability to farm flower Pikmin in Pikmin 2 didn't really make the game too easy or anything. The time barrier gets changed to your own boredom threshold, like in an RPG.

Being able to farm flower Pikmin in the second game didn't make much of a difference in the dungeons, though. In the overworld of either game, you could throw all of your Pikmin at an enemy, then run back to the onions and get reinforcements. The dungeons stuck you with the Pikmin that you entered with (aside from the occasional underground flowers or Bulbmin), and if that meant not being able to pick up a treasure because you lost one of your blues or whites, then the only way to get reinforcements was to a) finish the dungeon and do it all over again, or b) quit the dungeon and lose whatever progress your Pikmin had died for, then do the entire dungeon all over again.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Planescape: Torment. I looked for that for a long time, and I was just about ready to pay near 40 dollars for it when I found a copy at some yard-sale in the middle of Tennessee for 5 bucks.

Best 5 bucks I ever spent.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am proud to this day that I randomly happened upon copies of Rez and Disgaea, on the same day, in the same Gamestop. That was a hundo well spent.

Then I sold them back to a friend of mine for 150. :D

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I am proud to this day that I randomly happened upon copies of Rez and Disgaea, on the same day, in the same Gamestop. That was a hundo well spent.

Then I sold them back to a friend of mine for 150. :D

Disgaea 1 or 2?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    Most of my local shops hadn't even heard of or didn't have on system Disgaea for PSP. I was shocked.

I was lucky. I found one at Gamestop after the holidays, new, and it was their last copy. I haven't seen any copies since. =/

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not a good idea to lend out rare games. I leant out Ico and at this point I really doubt I'm going to get it back.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just about anything for the Dreamcast is next to impossible to find in the wild these days. This is really, really frustrating to me because I recently discovered that my cd wallet full of Dreamcast games including Skies of Arcadia (which is really the only one worth mentioning) that I thought I had brought with me to my new house when I got married is nowhere to be found. Nowhere. I have Worms World Party still in the system, thank god I forgot to take it out for once.
    In mid-2004 I went on a Dreamcast kick and picked up my 2nd DC, found my copy of Shenmue, and bought a crapload of DC games and spent the whole summer with my Dreamcast, just giving it love, and it loving me back. Oh, how I miss thee, Omikron, with your crazy, terrible, terrible gameplay, cracked out story and wonderful David Bowie soundtrack. Spiderman, I miss you too, you were the best version of that first wonderful game, pre-franchise rape. And oh, god, the insanely long hours of Worms World Party with my coworkers. Best damn summer I've ever had, before or since, I think. All gone. Except for Worms.

If anyone knows a good place to get DC games on the cheap, let me know. I found Fighting Force 2 at Goodwill the other day. I shed a small tear, that any DC game would end up at Goodwill.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Shadow of Rome's a hard find as well as Spartan Total War or w/e it's called. I think SoR was $30 for me used, worth every penny though, most violent game ever made :D (seriously, what other game can you cut off someones head with a scimitar, wail on someone else with it and then throw it into the crowd)

Dwarf Fortress.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DK Jungle Beat is one game that's disappeared around these parts. A nearby store had a special discount action where they got rid of their last copies a few months ago, but they'd already sold out when I got there. D:

But I'm going to London in a few days, and with a little help from this forum, I know of some shops there that might still carry it. Fingers crossed...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    Onidragon the AvengerOnidragon the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final FUCKING Fantasy VII.

I had been playing the classics and just seen AC, rembered playin' FF7 at a friend's in 1999, loved it, and when I finaly got a PS1 a year later for $40, he had sold FF7, as he hates RPGs.

I looked everywhere and managed to find a Greatest Hits version at a local business game store for $50. Pruty good game so far.

Onidragon the Avenger on
    Onidragon55.png
    sig.gif
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also am stressed to find a PS2 copy of a Katamari game. Also, Shadow of the Colossus was hard to find and I still haven't found ICO.

Jackie Chan Stuntmaster, in fact, I have never, ever seen that game in store. The only way I even knew of it is because a friend (I can't remember who) gave me a burnt copy many years ago and man, was that game awesome.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Jackie Chan Stuntmaster, in fact, I have never, ever seen that game in store. The only way I even knew of it is because a friend (I can't remember who) gave me a burnt copy many years ago and man, was that game awesome.

How come I have never heard of this game!?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DK Jungle Beat is one game that's disappeared around these parts. A nearby store had a special discount action where they got rid of their last copies a few months ago, but they'd already sold out when I got there. D:

But I'm going to London in a few days, and with a little help from this forum, I know of some shops there that might still carry it. Fingers crossed...

It's not that cheap, but -
    Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Gamecube - £22.53 delivered

Easily worth it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember a gas station in town had River City Ransom for rent back in the day, and I always tried to find it in stores.

Same thing for Earthbound. The rental place inside the WalMart had one or two copies. The WalMart itself? Nope.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pissed off that I can't get my hands on a copy of Riviera: The Promised Land here. I mean, there's a reason (no PAL release), but what the fuck, mate?

Edit: also make a fucking DS port or something atlus you fags

Senshi on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    I'm pissed off that I can't get my hands on a copy of Riviera: The Promised Land here. I mean, there's a reason (no PAL release), but what the fuck, mate?

The PSP port came out yesterday apparently, if you have a PSP

Riviera: The Promised Land, PSP - £24.99 delivered

LewieP on