As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

256MB of GDDR2 vs. 512MB of GDDR3

TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new video card. Should I go for one with less memory (but it's faster) or one with more memory (but it's slower)?

The card I'm thinking of getting is this
"ASUS EAH3650 TOP/HTDI/256M/A Radeon HD 3650 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121232

EDIT: Actually, I'm building a new system for myself, and running Windows XP on it. Here are other relevant parts:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4500 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115031

Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/1G - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134217

============================================================
============================================================
Also, I've got a side-question:
I'm going to give my current PC to my parents. I'm planning on purchasing an OEM version of either XP or Vista Home Basic for it. The hardware requirements are up to snuff for running Vista, I think.
My parents are just going to use it for the basic stuff like watching DVDs, burning stuff, web browsing, and checking e-mail.
Should I install Vista on the parental computer or just stick with XP? I'm just thinking of Vista because hey, it's the newest Windows OS.

The PC I am giving to my parents has these specs, and also I'm thinking of buying Vista Home Basic OEM for it:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
MSI PT880 Neo motherboard
ATI Radeon 9500 flashed to 9700
1 GB DDR RAM (forgot the speed) [it's two sticks of 512 MB RAM running in dual channel]

TM2 Rampage on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I honestly would say to spend the extra $13 dollars and get the 512 MB variant if you plan to game on it. 256 MB is the absolute bare minimum, in my opinion, and a lot of games nowadays are pining for more VRAM. The price difference is negligible enough that there's no reason to settle with just 256 MB if you can help it.

Skip out on Vista. XP is not only cheaper, but would run much better depending on your old machine. If it has less than 1GB of system RAM, don't even bother with Vista, period. With the 512 MB minimum system requirements, Vista runs like an absolute dog. Up it to 1 GB and it becomes usable. Even then, I found it works best if you stuff it with 2 GB to play with. Yeah, stick with XP.

Zxerol on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What are the system's specs?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do not ever buy a DDR2 graphics card. Not a recent one, anyway.

It's not even GDDR2. They're using surplus main system ram chips to cut costs. And we all know what that means: they ain't just cutting costs there.

Daedalus on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Do not ever buy a DDR2 graphics card. Not a recent one, anyway.

It's not even GDDR2. They're using surplus main system ram chips to cut costs. And we all know what that means: they ain't just cutting costs there.

I'm just quoting this to drive the point home - DO NOT BUY A GRAPHICS CARD WITH GDDR2. You need something with GDDR3.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Get 256MB ram

everyone else is falling for "more ram = better"

but on that lower end card, it won't make use of it, and it'll be a waste of money.

If it was a 3850, I might say sure, go for it.

But no, not on that card.

You SHOULD be aiming for a 9600 GT, or 3870 at a minimum, really

Deusfaux on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and a 3650 is also a waste of silicon. Really, like the dude above said, get something better. Save up a little extra cash and grab a 3850. The GPU matters a hell of a lot more than the amount of RAM.

Daedalus on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahhh, alright... I might shell out an extra 50 or so for a higher-end card, maybe.
    Basically, I've been out of the loop in PC gaming. Really, the only thing I'm looking forward to getting is Starcraft II...

Well, I might as well post other parts that I'm planning to get (pretty much building a new system):

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4500 - Retail

Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/1G - Retail

TM2 Rampage on
    edited April 2008
    Can't go wrong with a P35 motherboard, especially one from Gigabyte. That CPU isn't all that fast (not nearly as fast as a Core 2 Duo) but is said to overclock beautifully so you might want to look into that. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now so you might as well get two gigs.

Daedalus on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The nVidia 8800GT is pretty nice, and less than 200 dollars.

Magus` on
    edited April 2008
    Can't go wrong with a P35 motherboard, especially one from Gigabyte. That CPU isn't all that fast (not nearly as fast as a Core 2 Duo) but is said to overclock beautifully so you might want to look into that. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now so you might as well get two gigs.
    You mean... not nearly as fast as a Core 2 Duo should be??

TM2 Rampage on
    edited April 2008
    Your machine will be able to handle Vista fine but go for 2GB of RAM (RAM is dirt cheap) at least and a faster Intel C2D (Higher clock speed + higher FSB), I'd probably go for the E6550 at the lowest, but preferably the E6750 (Which I have).

squirly on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, and you can easily (and safely) OC the E6750 from 2.66 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz on stock cooling.

Magus` on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and a 3650 is also a waste of silicon. Really, like the dude above said, get something better. Save up a little extra cash and grab a 3850. The GPU matters a hell of a lot more than the amount of RAM.
    Hmmm, well, the previous card I had was a Radeon 9500 (I was able to flash it to a 9700, since apparently 9500 cards were just gimped 9700 cards), and the 9500 was considered a mid-range card. I've held onto it over the years and I've been able to play Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and all the Orange Box stuff rather fine.

Maybe I should spring for a high-end card, since I did spend 200 dollars(D:) on the 9500 at a Best Buy way back. Then again, I don't play too many PC games and the only one I'm looking forward to is Starcraft II...

TM2 Rampage on
    edited April 2008
    Seriously, get a GeForce 8800GT. You can probably get one for around 160-180 dollars and it runs great.

Also, get the E6750 and OC it like I did.

Also, I got this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231121

That's twice what you're getting for about 10 dollars more.

Magus` on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Magus` wrote: »
    The nVidia 8800GT is pretty nice, and less than 200 dollars.

Yeah man, I can't wait for my current model to go below $150 so I can go out and buy another one and SLI the fuckers.

But then again, I am stuck in a bit of a rut. I can go out and keep upgrading my computer but effectively collecting parts that I will no longer use, or I can build a whole new computer and have 2...

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    the 8800GT is not a high end card

you dont NEED a high end card

where a product plays to is not determiend any longer by the model #s, but more accurately it's price.

get a 9600 GT at a minimum. up from that you could get an 8800 GT, or an 8800 GTS 512MB.

on ati side, 3850 at minimum, or 3870

Deusfaux on
    edited April 2008
    That's the one thing that puts me off of ATI cards. What the fuck is up with their numbering? 3850? 3870? =/

Lucky Cynic on
  • NeakyNeaky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ati's numbering is bad?

Look at Nvidia's 8400/8500/8600/8800 coupled with GT/GTS/GTO/GTX/Ultra. (Not sure if GTO is still around or if it only applied to Ati cards.)

Ati recently eliminated all of the suffixes associated with their cards.

Regardless, it's not that hard to figure out which one is faster/slower on both sides.

Also, the numbers do mean things, such as product family, revision and model although I'm not sure in what order.

Neaky on
    Violynt.png
    edited April 2008
    everyone's numbering sucks as of late - nvidia, ati, intel

maybe amd is good, i havent been paying attention

Deusfaux on
    edited April 2008
    You mean... not nearly as fast as a Core 2 Duo should be??

I didn't bother reading the processor name. The Allendale core is the same thing that's in the Pentium Dual-Core chips that are out now. It's not a real C2D (Conroe), it's a PDC with a little extra cache and the C2D name slapped on.

Regardless, like the PDC Allendales, you should be able to overclock the shit out of it, or so I've heard.

Daedalus on
  • negativebronegativebro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »

Really? I actually like Nvidia's way of numbering stuff. x600 are the mid-range, and x800 are the high-end. But then again... it wasn't until this generation that the x600 has actually been worth it (the 9600 GT, in this case).

negativebro on
    edited April 2008

Really? I actually like Nvidia's way of numbering stuff. x600 are the mid-range, and x800 are the high-end. But then again... it wasn't until this generation that the x600 has actually been worth it (the 9600 GT, in this case).

Fuck you man, my 7600GT was kick ass for the price. I would have to say that it really did have quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, guys.
    Wellll, I guess I'm settling on this

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

I'm sort of on a budget...

Looks like the site for this thing recommends a power supply of at least 400W. Mine is only 380W. Does it really matter if I get one that has an actual plug for a PCIe vid card, or can I just use the PCIe adapter power cable thing that's included with the video card?
    Oh well, I'm looking at getting this

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 ATX12V V2.3 460W Power Supply - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817171028
    It's got one plug for PCIe. I'm not really intending to run SLI or anything like that(EDIT: lol n/m anyway I kind of need an nforce mobo for that)... I figure by the next time I upgrade (7-10 years later) I'm just gonna buy a brand new card, since I'll probably need the newer shaders and stuff that will be out.

So uh, does anyone else want to comment on whether I should get Vista for the system highlighted in yellow in the OP post?

TM2 Rampage on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, guys.
    Wellll, I guess I'm settling on this

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082

I'm sort of on a budget...

Looks like the site for this thing recommends a power supply of at least 400W. Mine is only 380W. Does it really matter if I get one that has an actual plug for a PCIe vid card, or can I just use the PCIe adapter power cable thing that's included with the video card?
    Oh well, I'm looking at getting this

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 ATX12V V2.3 460W Power Supply - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817171028
    It's got one plug for PCIe. I'm not really intending to run SLI or anything like that(EDIT: lol n/m anyway I kind of need an nforce mobo for that)... I figure by the next time I upgrade (7-10 years later) I'm just gonna buy a brand new card, since I'll probably need the newer shaders and stuff that will be out.

So uh, does anyone else want to comment on whether I should get Vista for the system highlighted in yellow in the OP post?

That 8800gts-320 is a decent little card. I have the Superclocked version and it works pretty well. For 152.75$ you would be hard pressed to beat that. 8800gts for 200$ is a step up but cost being a factor, 152.75$ shipped isn't half bad. (I don't count rebates because I think they are evil)

Don't put that system in yellow on vista. 1gb would make it choke from what I've heard on the internet.

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2008
    Don't get the 320. Get the 512 MB 8800GT. It's based on the G92 architecture which is much more efficient. It's also not that much more expensive.

Edit: Actually it's like 250 dollars, so a good bit more. My bad.

Also, what IS your budget?

Magus` on
    edited April 2008
    if you're on that much of a budget, stretch for the 9600 GT

or fine, even the 8800 GS

no less, ok?

8800 GTS 320 is out

Deusfaux on
    edited April 2008
    You're saying this would be better?
    XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275

Note that the P35 board I'm getting seems to only support PCI Express 1.0 (I think it'll still work, but the extra speed advantage won't be used)

EDIT: Or this?
    PALiT NE/9600T+0152 GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261002

TM2 Rampage on
    edited April 2008
    9600GT is better.

EDIT: Despite it's utterly stupid fucking box art. Seriously? A frog robot? What the fuck is wrong with these guys?! First it was BFG with putting a skin head on their graphics cards, and now these no namers are putting other stupid shit on them. What next, digimon?

Actually, that wouldn't be so bad.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    9600GT is better.

In the general case, yes.

However, I've never fucking heard of PaLIT before, and they took off the reference nVidia cooler and stuck on some two-slot fan that doesn't cool the RAM chips. See if you can find one from a reputable manufacturer.

edit: apparently they've been around for a while but have only started selling to America recently, so disregard whatever I just said.

Daedalus on
    edited April 2008
    and yes you found the right cards.

there's also an 8800 GT 256 MB version floating around.

your best bet of those 4 options would be the 9600 GT if you can't afford the 8800 GT 512MB

Deusfaux on
  • NeakyNeaky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck you man, my 7600GT was kick ass for the price. I would have to say that it really did have quite a bit of bang for the buck.

And the 6600GT was excellent for its price also.

JohnDoe on
    edited April 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

And the 6600GT was excellent for its price also.

Yeah, it was really just the 8600 series that was underwhelming and terrible value.
    and the entire GeForce FX line, without exception.

Daedalus on
    edited April 2008
    The 8600GT wasn't all that bad, it just had DX10 and DX10 tended to bog it down, what with super awesome new shadow technology that was always one step ahead of it.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Alright, so I've ordered/bought everything, except for a power supply and XP or Vista (for the parents' computer). You guys really wouldn't recommend running Vista on that yellow highlighted comp in the OP that has 1 GB of RAM? The recommended requirements for Vista on the official site says 1 GB RAM is recommended... But I guess sys. requirements are generous sometimes.
    Magus` wrote: »
    Seriously, get a GeForce 8800GT. You can probably get one for around 160-180 dollars and it runs great.

Also, get the E6750 and OC it like I did.

Also, I got this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231121

That's twice what you're getting for about 10 dollars more.
    In the end, yeah I ended up getting something like what you suggested, except it was a different brand, advertised surprisingly low timings, and was cheaper-priced. Hopefully it will work. Maybe I'll run memtest to see how it goes.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609026

The mobo I'm getting supports DDR2 1066, but I guess I'll go with DDR2 800 RAM since I guess it's a bit negligible (and either of these beat out my DDR 333) and I've never had higher than 1 GB of RAM before.

I also ordered that PaLit 9600GT card.

TM2 Rampage on
    edited April 2008
    As far as I'm aware, Palit is okay but personally I'd go with a company like BFG or Asus over them.

I've never heard of that brand you've chosen for your RAM, honestly, I'd go with one of the many decent brands (Corsair, Geil, Kingston/Kingsmax, G.Skill, OCZ, etc) -- they really can't be that more expensive and you don't want dodgy RAM. Also, DDR2 800 is fine.

For example, there's a 2GB DDR2800 kit from G.Skill which is like $6 more than the one you've chosen and is a far better brand.

Edit: mushkin (Decent brand IIRC) 2GB (1x2GB stick) DDR2 800 for $39.99 -- slower timings though.

Actually that Super Talent RAM has decent customer reviews so it'd probably be fine.. There's also a 2GB stick from Geil for $41.99 and a ton of other decent modules available.

squirly on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, double fuck you man, my AGP 6600GT was the best bang-for-buck piece of computer equipment I've ever bought.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The system in yellow will run Vista, but it'll be like running XP on 512 in 2005; get a half-dozen apps open and you'll see performance decline.

A good rule of thumb; if you're looking at Vista Home Basic for a machine because it won't run Premium/Biz/Ultimate well... DO NOT BUY IT. No one should ever buy Home Basic; you're better off with XP or waiting for a new machine that'll run well with Vista. Vista (proper, not Home Basic) is optimized for machines with dual cores and memory to utilize indexing and the like, as well as a modern video card to pull the weight of running the UI.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Jesus, how hard is it for people to get some ram these days?

I swear, I found a gig of ram in my cereal box as the prize and I threw it away!

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Well the stuff that I ordered came. Power supply ordered late, still coming.

Everything looks great, except the video card was wrapped in clear bubble wrap, instead of an anti-static bag. It was inside the official box and everything, though, although the box had no type of seal or anything. The motherboard box also had no seal.

Is a bubble-wrapped video card fine?

TM2 Rampage on