As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dreamcast] - The William Henry Harrison of the Gaming World

h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I've been looking around my gaming library and really noticed that my Dreamcast collection is really lacking. I know there is a lot of Dreamcast love out there from our PA friends. But I'm sure there are some really great games that some people love but others just don't know about. Just like our good friend Mr. Harrison.

So what I'm really looking for is some great games other then the top ten lists of Game Rankings and others. Games like Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage and Shenmue that were recommended to me back in the day.

Also a quick glance of my other gaming library, for the Dreamcast, is as such:

Crazy Taxi
Fur Fighters
Jet Grind Radio
NFL 2K1
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble 1 & 2
Soul Caliber
Space Channel 5
Star Wars: Demolition

Also, is there a great accessory for the Dreamcast that you have or miss that adds some great gaming to your system?

Or is that the best I can do?

Coolest Guy I Know
h8b1llg8ts.gif
sig.gif
MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
h8b1llg8ts on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    House of the Dead 2 was really the only game I enjoyed other than Ready to Rumble 1/2. You should pick that up.

urahonky on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mark of the Wolves got the most play time out of anything on my Dreamcast.

corin7 on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The VGA box is pretty rad.

Also, Skies of Arcadia.

august on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Power Stone 2. It's everything that was great about the first one multiplied over and over again.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    I also second Power Stone 2.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    every fighting game. Project Justice, Star Gladiator, Capcom Vs. Snk 2, Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves, everything

don't get anything with Sonic in the title that isn't Sonic Adventure 1. don't listen to anyone but me

AND DON'T TOUCH THAT ECCO GAME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Timestalkers was pretty good

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oh shit, also

Illbleed, Seaman, and Zombie Revenge, that last one provided you have someone to play co-op with otherwise it's not worth it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2008
    ZOMBIE LEVENGE

august on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    BLUE STINGER!!!!

and I made my roomate play Seaman recently.

And I still play Cannon Spike fairly regularly. Its awesome if you have 4 minutes to kill.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, the Dreamcast was so good.

LewieP on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chu Chu Rocket

Zek on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »
    The VGA box is pretty rad.

Yes it is. Playing Rez in 480p over VGA is awesome, although I guess these days the XBox version kind of trumps all.

Fuck, every time I see one of these threads I'm reminded of how I haven't designed any more Dreamcast DVD game cases. I need to get on that shit pronto.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The main problem is that good DC games that were not popular command a ridiculous price these days.

Powerstone 2? Good luck.
    MvC 2? Prepare to sacrifice most of a paycheck.
    Record of Lodoss War? Let me know if you can find it, let alone afford it.

edit: Okay, I takes some of it back...when did RoLW and MvC2 become so cheap? Are people selling backups?

PS: These are all fun games if you can find them. I also can recommend Armada, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Virtua Tennis, Outriggers, and Virtual On.
    PPS: I stand by Powerstone 2 being a bitch to find though. Why ever did I take my copy back to EB is beyond me.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seconding Chu Chu Rocket as fantastic. <3

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited April 2008
    Bangai-O

august on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Skies of Arcadia is the Dead Rising of the dreamcast.

ie everyone must own it or else.

Also, Confidential Mission was glorious.

The_Scarab on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Also, Confidential Mission was glorious.

-What are we going to do now?
    -That's a Confidential Mission!

I absolutely love that line.

Thetheroo on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Phantasy Star Online was one of my favorite games, but I'm sure it hasn't aged all too well, and probably really boring without the whole online thing. I'm one of the few that also liked the Sonic Adventure games, if only for the Chaos.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just pulled out the old Dreamcast, replaced those CR-2032 batteries for my VMU, but I cannot find my AV cord. Would an old PS1 cord fit it or am I going to have to run outside of my house and into the sunlight?

Edited AV cord ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • LostLost Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Also, is there a great accessory for the Dreamcast that you have or miss that adds some great gaming to your system?

-Insert rez trance vibrator joke here-

Lost on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    FUCKING TYPING OF THE DEAD!

Best edutainment title evar

That_Guy on
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Neva wrote: »
    Phantasy Star Online was one of my favorite games, but I'm sure it hasn't aged all too well, and probably really boring without the whole online thing. I'm one of the few that also liked the Sonic Adventure games, if only for the Chaos.

I'd say get PSO for the Gamecube instead and some buddies. It has split-screen, offline multiplayer.

Though, if you're playing on a small screen, that might be a problem.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Problem is PSO for both the DC and the GC are shut down, online anyway. And the offline multiplayer for the GC is fairly bad in comparison to online multi.

I think the only version of PSO that is still "live" is Blue Burst, but that might be shut down too, by now.

Despite all the ragging it got, I really enjoyed PSU, and while this has nothing to do with a DC thread, the 360 version is apparently the one to go with, if you've got one.

ANYWAY, I'm also going to go ahead and disagree with Shoe on Ecco, I really liked the DC version. They rereleased it for the PS2, but it was still better on the DC.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am pretty sure a mate of mine still plays DC PSO online to this day.

LewieP on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nah, as of apr 1 2007 all servers for all console PSO's (GC, XBox, JP/EU DC [US was shut down in 2003]) were turned off.

Apparently there's a way to play on private servers for the DC version, but I imagine it's more trouble than it's worth.

EDIT: JP Xbox was shut down this past Jan, and Blue Burst (PC) was shut down just a few days ago.

* Phantasy Star Online Ver. 1 and 2 (US) - 31 October 2003
    * Phantasy Star Online Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution Trial Edition - 15 September 2003
    * Phantasy Star Online/Phantasy Star Online ver. 2 (North America) - 1 October 2003
    * Phantasy Star Online (Microsoft Windows) - January 2004
    * Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II ver. 1.0 - 26 March 2004 [2]
    * Phantasy Star Online Ver. 1 and 2 (PAL & JP) - 2 April 2007[3][4]
    * Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC Ver. 1.1 and Plus Version) and Phantasy Star Online Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution - 01 April 2007 [5][6][7]
    * Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst (US) - 31st March 2008
    * Phantasy Star Online (Xbox JP) - 31st January 2008

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If Power Stone 2 is too steep for you, grab the first one instead. Personally, for 1v1 fights, I prefer it. Power Stone 2 was only really good in four-player matches.

Daedalus on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shenmue is still my second favorite game of all time.

TheMorningStar on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and I'd kill some people to get a Smash Bros game done in the Power Stone style.

Or, hell, another Power Stone game done in the Power Stone style.

God damn that was a good fighting game.

Daedalus on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anytime anything bad happens to anyone I know in front of my dad, my brother and/or I, one or all of us will say

How PAINFUL!

In the style of the Power Stone announcer. He was truley one of the best announcers ever. WELCOME TO POWER STONE WRRL (we never could figure out if it was 'power stone world' or 'power stone war').

Oh no! The SKY is falling!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    zombierevengentsczfrontqu8.jpg

Sheep on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has someone made a Tippecanoe and Tyler Too joke yet?

:whistle: And with him we'll beat little Van :whistle:

One Thousand Cables on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has someone made a Tippecanoe and Tyler Too joke yet?

:whistle: And with him we'll beat little Van :whistle:

:whistle:Van is a used up Man, Man. And with him we'll beat little Van!:whistle:

Thetheroo on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's a pretty good list you've got.

All versions of PSO are still playable online, however anything beyond the mere fact really shouldn't be discussed here. It's as playable a 1P game as Diablo II was, but the 'cube/Xbox expanded versions do trump the DC versions in most ways (especially game balance). To its credit, the DC versions the four Episode 1 stages are superior as on 'cube and Xbox they've received a number of odd visual downgrades (most especially the lighting).

Not sure about Skies on Dreamcast over Skies on Cube. On one hand, the music is better. On the other hand, the Legends version very effectively surpasses the original aside from the music issue. If you don't have Cube, the DC version may not be considered playable today due to its Nintendo-Hard random encounter rates and long load times.

Grandia II was a really good RPG with fun, engaging combat, non-random encounters, unique systems, and a pleasant story/cast with excellent English screenwriting (dialogue). If it had any flaw, I'd say that the very, very end was protracted an hour or two past where I felt ready for the end.

How about Virtual On? I'm not a fan of the series, but it seemed to be popular fighting game and by all accounts DC's version is vastly superior to the PS2 version.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Galcian's SonGalcian's Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    All versions of PSO are still playable online, however anything beyond the mere fact really shouldn't be discussed here.

Not sure about Skies on Dreamcast over Skies on Cube. On one hand, the music is better. On the other hand, the Legends version very effectively surpasses the original aside from the music issue. If you don't have Cube, the DC version may be less playable due to its Nintendo-Hard random encounter rates and long load times.

How about Virtual On? I'm not a fan of the series, but it seemed to be popular fighting game and by all accounts DC's version is vastly superior to the PS2 version.

Ideally, people could play both. Skies on the DC first as the original, and then the GC version for the extra content. I just can't play it on GC though after owning the soundtrack and listening to it all the time at work and around the house. The GC version really sounds abysmal and it is insulting to the masterpiece of the real thing. I'll take the extra encounters and the few more seconds it takes to load enemy models.

Galcian's Son on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Dreamcast really is amazing.

For some reason, and I don't know why, I just had this bug of playing my old Dreamcast. So I stopped at Radio Shack and bought some new batteries for my VMU and was so surprised that I haven't played my Dreamcast since July of 2001. And after all that time my VMU still has my game saves.

I played Sonic Adventures and I have to say, minus the load speeds and the translations, this game still holds up very well. I was still amazed on the gameplay, grafix, and soundtrack.

Even though the gaming library is only going to be as big as my Virtual Boys' what is there is going to last a long time.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tech Romancer is an awesome and hilarious 3d fighter from Capcom, starring giant robots. And it also pastiches every major giant-robot based anime of the last 20-odd years. It is utterly wonderful, and one of the most overlooked classics on the system.

lodger on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited April 2008
    The Dreamcast was really Capcom's console.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »

Virtual On is an incredible, amazing game.

However, playing Virtual On with anything but the special Twin Sticks controller (ebay: ~$100) is somewhat like playing Soul Calibur with the fishing rod controller. It can still be sort of fun, but it's going to feel awkward no matter how much you try to get used to it.

Daedalus on