As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My shoulder is Le-broken (but not really)

ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to get into shape by doing situps/pushups daily, but I've run into some trouble.

Years ago I found out I could kind of move my shoulder out of its normal placement towards the front but without actually dislocating it or anything, it would kind of pop... but not really. I'd do it to freak people out and because i didnt think it was a big deal.

the problem:

A few months ago i slept on that shoulder and woke up with it feeling rather odd - I'm guessing it 'popped out' in my sleep and i ended up sleeping with my weight on it. Basically now everytime i do a pushup, the cartilage (i think) makes a popping sound.

Basically, am I damaging anything by doing pushups anyway? there's no pain involved, it's just unpleasant both to hear and feel, and i'm worried i might make things worse (nerve damage? early arthritis? im pretty clueless)

I've not considered a doctor because there's no pain and it doesn't hinder my daily activities other then maybe discomfort in the shoulder

Halp me internets!

I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
ApexMirage on

• Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it coming from your rotator cuff? If so, look up a phenomenon called subluxing. I have this issue, and it hurts like a sonuvabitch.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You should visit a doctor anyway. Not for surgery or anything, but they can refer you to someone who does physical therapy... who can in turn show you exercises that will probably fix the problem if you keep up with them.

I have a shoulder (both, but one is worse) that comes out of socket in my sleep. As long as I keep up with the physical therapy shit I've been shown, it doesn't trouble me much at all. If you're looking to get in shape anyway, it should be super-easy to add them to your routine.

dispatch.o on