Options

Study: Video Game Addiction Similar to Aspergers

2»

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Diabetes doesn't kill you, depending on type.

It can result in a slew of related conditions such as heart disease, which can kill you.

But Diabetes can be managed and one with it can live a full and complete life.

Autism doesn't kill you either. But like Diabetes there typically are a large number of diseases and conditions that seem to go hand and hand with autism that can lead to death at a premature age.

Also, AIDS doesnt kill you, the result of the lack of an immune system when catching a sickness kills you; and in all honesty AIDS, which by no means something that should be "accepted" has been able to be managed to the point, should you have the means, that even with HIV, full blown AIDS can either be avoided indefinitely or manged to the point of the lifespan of a person with aids, in america at least, is considerably longer today than it was a decade or two ago. This is a double edged sword as it also has resulted, at least here, in less attention being focused on it, which is a shame.

Anyway, the point is, there's no reason to assume that Autism is in any way "normal", nor should we, as a society just accept that it happens, what can we do? Things can be done through research to avoid and offset the severity of it, and make it something that doesn't need to happen. Autism isn't a personality trait, it's a problem that can, and should be solved.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also this really isn't a subject for this forum, I don't think, more likely D&D would be a better place for it. So I'll just drop it from my side.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sorry. I did not make myself clear and used shoddy language:

The topic is about asbergers. The forum linked to is about asbergers.
    Asbergers does not have the severe cognitive, language and mental retardation that you are describing as a threat to life.
    It is not a low functioning autism disorder. It is a high functioning autism disorder. Autism is not a single condition, but a spectrum of conditions grouped together under the same name due to having similar symptoms. If you have asbergers, you do not have classical "autism".

The only possible life threatening effect Asbergers can have on someone is depression/anxiety disorders that usually come about as a result of how society treats them differently, and the frustration inherent in not knowing why. In many ways, it is nothing more than a genetic personality quirk. Hardly something worthy of going gunho about curing.

A number of fields are well suited for people with high functioning autism "disorders" including science, mathematics, engineering, and tellingly in this study, computer science.

These are fields that "normal" human brains are not naturally suited for (you can disagree if you like, but you're kidding yourself. There's reasons you need heavy training to work in these fields), whereas the tendency towards pattern recognition and matching outside of the field that occurs in some high funtioning autism "disorders" can result in advances in these fields. Literally, they are more inclined to think "outside the box" and not just accept what they are told. Not accepting what you are told is somethign that "normal" human beings living in a society need to be trained to do.
    Granted this only occurs in a small frequency of people with autistic disorders, but the point is that not everything labelled as a "disease" or "disorder" is harmful.

I have no problem with helping those with low functioning autistic disorders, but gungho curing of autism and anything that even smells of it needs to be tempered with caution for what you may potentially lose in return. Then there is the ethical considerations of who determines what constitutes an ideal human being.

The only a reason a forum like this exists is backlash against equally fundamentalist and rigid notions of what consitutes "normal" and "healthy".

So they do have a point. They might be approaching that point in a stupid and unproductive way, but that's how certain groups of humans have always reacted to a stereotype they consider unfair.
    A camp versus B camp. If anything this proves they are "normal" humans.

edit: Man, I spent ages on this post and you've already dropped it. That's so not fair.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If it makes you feel better, I read it, and it mirrors my own sentiments.

Mars on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    As the token forum aspie, people in this are a bit clueless about what it really means.

And so are the people on that silly aspie forum.

Echo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Not to say that the people that do have it aren't ridiculously retarded. The millitant ones are trying to fight cures for aspergers because they think that mental retardation is the next step in evolution.

What the hell are you talking about?

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17

That's impressively idiotic.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    As the token forum aspie, people in this are a bit clueless about what it really means.

And so are the people on that silly aspie forum.

So Echo, if you don't mind answering, what do you think of the publishing of an article saying, "gamers show similar traits to people with Asperger's"?

I'm asking as somebody with close family members who have genuine ADD, another one of those popular self-diagnoses in the gaming community. I know I'm always annoyed by articles saying things like, "Oh, game players display a combination of short attention span and hyperfocus, these are traits associated with ADD", because a bunch of idiot gamers then go out and say, "I'm SPESHUL! I have ADD!", even when they have no clue what the fuck that actually means.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    While it's interesting that they've done a bit of research on correlation, there's really nothing to speak of about causation in that article.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How dare they call us hamburgers!?

...wait, what?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    guys I think I have a vision addiction. I get really stressed out when I can't see. Sometimes I'll even go for extremely long sessions in rooms with an average level of lighting. When it gets dark out I can't even focus on what I'm doing, so I'll seek out a light switch and take a hit.

please cure my vision addiction.
    this can be said about pretty much anything, its just a problem when the addiction is something harmful. Now lets figure out if playing video games is harmful.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When people neglect any and all commitments outside of a game, it's harmful.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In my day the conclusion would have been made about comic books or violent movies.

Or maybe witchcraft, we really haven't had a good witchcraft scare in a while, the Harry Potter books notwithstanding.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How can scientists be baffled by nerds?

I'm surprised there aren't more occasions of "Study finds nerds incredibly witty, delightful in bed".

:winky:

MarkyX on
  • Options
    liuzg150181liuzg150181 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    So... its self- and usually mis-diagnosed?

Bingo. The people who self-diagnose themselves with this shit are lost to me. I can't understand why you would want to have a disease just to fit in, especially one for being socially inept. It's contradictory. I want to be socially inept, just like everyone else.

Because it's an easy excuse for their failings.
    But I dont think Bram Cohen,who created Bit-Torrent and also self-diagnosed having Asperger syndrome, is a loser.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Cohen
    I'm sorry. I did not make myself clear and used shoddy language:

The topic is about asbergers. The forum linked to is about asbergers.
    Asbergers does not have the severe cognitive, language and mental retardation that you are describing as a threat to life.
    It is not a low functioning autism disorder. It is a high functioning autism disorder. Autism is not a single condition, but a spectrum of conditions grouped together under the same name due to having similar symptoms. If you have asbergers, you do not have classical "autism".

The only possible life threatening effect Asbergers can have on someone is depression/anxiety disorders that usually come about as a result of how society treats them differently, and the frustration inherent in not knowing why. In many ways, it is nothing more than a genetic personality quirk. Hardly something worthy of going gunho about curing.

A number of fields are well suited for people with high functioning autism "disorders" including science, mathematics, engineering, and tellingly in this study, computer science.

These are fields that "normal" human brains are not naturally suited for (you can disagree if you like, but you're kidding yourself. There's reasons you need heavy training to work in these fields), whereas the tendency towards pattern recognition and matching outside of the field that occurs in some high funtioning autism "disorders" can result in advances in these fields. Literally, they are more inclined to think "outside the box" and not just accept what they are told. Not accepting what you are told is somethign that "normal" human beings living in a society need to be trained to do.
    Granted this only occurs in a small frequency of people with autistic disorders, but the point is that not everything labelled as a "disease" or "disorder" is harmful.

I have no problem with helping those with low functioning autistic disorders, but gungho curing of autism and anything that even smells of it needs to be tempered with caution for what you may potentially lose in return. Then there is the ethical considerations of who determines what constitutes an ideal human being.

The only a reason a forum like this exists is backlash against equally fundamentalist and rigid notions of what consitutes "normal" and "healthy".

So they do have a point. They might be approaching that point in a stupid and unproductive way, but that's how certain groups of humans have always reacted to a stereotype they consider unfair.
    A camp versus B camp. If anything this proves they are "normal" humans.

edit: Man, I spent ages on this post and you've already dropped it. That's so not fair.

I cannot agree with you more, and the misconception of Autism Spectrum Disorder seems rampant and perturbing to say the least.

FYI, Vernon L. Smith(Nobel Laureate in Economics), Richard Borcherds(Field Medalist,an award in Mathematics that is equivalent to Nobel Prize) and Tim Prize( Pulitzer Prize-winning critic and author) are diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, and if they can be called mentally-retarded, then how would one describe the mental competence of the general populace?

Speaking of programmers demographs being populated by those with Asperger's Syndrome/High Functioning Autism(HFA), a programmer known as Jeff Atwood concurs with your observation:
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000490.html

Though there's a more notorious example of autistic programmer, a N.Z. teenager with Asperger syndrome name Owen Thor Walker learnt computer programming by himself,and became the ringleader of an international hacking organisation estimated to have caused $26 million worth of damage. According to report,International cyber crime investigators considered Walker's to be "amongst the most advanced bot programming" they had encountered:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10501425
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10479450

liuzg150181 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MarkyX wrote: »
    How can scientists be baffled by nerds?

I'm surprised there aren't more occasions of "Study finds nerds incredibly witty, delightful in bed".

:winky:

Attention attractive female researchers, preferably wearing spectacles, a lab coat, and not much else, presently seeking subjects:

HEY, OVER HERE.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kind of a random necropost here, huh

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kind of a random necropost here, huh

Yeah, I figured since the thread had already been raised from the dead, I should make an off-colour comment.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah... a disorder with no common pathology or "lets see if we can make a square peg fit this round hole" disease.
    Take a few unrelated, and socially undesired characteristics, slap a name on it to validate all the worried parents whose children are not growing up to be what they wanted, and cook for 40 years.

And yeah, we could use an aspberger topic in DnD.

muninn on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I like how we characterize abnormal pathing in the brain, as a society, we used to call these people [blank] savants, then we came up with ADD and ADHD, which were blanket terms that included (and led to the medication and addiction(any ADHD medication is just Ritalin with a new protein around it/ a one molecule deviation) hundreds of innocent people who were suffering from social problems, then we came up with Assburgers(I couldn't resist), which characterizes the naturally obsessive, in five years, a bunch of shrinks will come together and realize that nobody in the general public actually has any fucking clue what asperger's is anyway and most people "suffering" from abnormal pathing in the brain are no threat to society, and the only people who will argue otherwise work for Pfizer, and some old asshole will remember the... more theoretical writings of Carl Jung and claim that these people in fact simply acclimated to modern society in the womb, and their "abnormalities" are based upon the mother's experiences during child-bearing, and then promptly be laughed off the podium by assholes who aren't even qualified to be there.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I find it funny they're 3 identifiers of autism could also describe anyone you ever thought was an asshole at a party.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like how we characterize abnormal pathing in the brain, as a society, we used to call these people [blank] savants, then we came up with ADD and ADHD, which were blanket terms that included (and led to the medication and addiction(any ADHD medication is just Ritalin with a new protein around it/ a one molecule deviation) hundreds of innocent people who were suffering from social problems, then we came up with Assburgers(I couldn't resist), which characterizes the naturally obsessive, in five years, a bunch of shrinks will come together and realize that nobody in the general public actually has any fucking clue what asperger's is anyway and most people "suffering" from abnormal pathing in the brain are no threat to society, and the only people who will argue otherwise work for Pfizer, and some old asshole will remember the... more theoretical writings of Carl Jung and claim that these people in fact simply acclimated to modern society in the womb, and their "abnormalities" are based upon the mother's experiences during child-bearing, and then promptly be laughed off the podium by assholes who aren't even qualified to be there.

This is all gibberish.

ADHD and ADD can be determined through EEG scanning nowadays, it's a specific set of neural activity.

Ritalin and Dexamphetamine work completely differently. Dexamphetamine helps release dopamine and Ritalin blocks the reuptake of it without encouraging any more to be released than what naturally is. And ritalin, by itself, is not harmful.

What the general public thinks is not important. At all. Our society is not, thankfully, mob rule.

People in the field of psychology do not believe people with autism are a threat to society or even "abnormal"....its the media and the general public who misinterpret the information presented to them who do. See above.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.