As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some oddities in a PhP mailing form...

DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
If you are familiar with PhP, then you may know about the mail function. It basically takes a few simple parameters and sends an email to whoever you want.

I'm still a bit of a novice at the inner workings of PhP, so maybe you guys can help.

When I submit a form that I created, it is supposed to send an email to another office. This works, however the time between clicking submit and the time the email arrives is unusually long. It seems to take upwards of 30 minutes or more for the email to make it to the intended mailbox. What's stranger, is that over the course of multiple tests, the emails were arriving in a non-chronological order. I would submit a series of forms and the mailbox wouldn't necessarily get the corresponding email in the same order.

Any ideas here?

Edit:

While I am at it, there is one other thing. The email it generates has a lot of information in it and I wanted to break it up using \n to break to a new line. It seems to do it at first, then ignores all subsequent \n's...

Doomulon on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are you running an SMTP server on both servers? If the mail has to go out to a smarthost or something, that might explain the delay.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had a long explanation but got a timeout error when I submitted the post D:

Long story short, I know why there is a delay now and it has to do with a congested email queue and much irony involving spam filters and intra office email abuse.

Doomulon on