As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for DS game advice!

InxInx Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Hey gents,

I've decided it's time for a new DS game. I've narrowed it down to four possible choices, but I was hoping to get some opinions. So, here we go:

Ninja Reflex (This looks like just some pure silly ninja fun.)
Orcs and Elves (I've been looking for a simple dungeon crawler kinda game, and the description isnt too bad)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (this looks super cool, but i remember hearing somewhere it had a steep learning curve)
Master of Illusion (It looks interesting, and I used to be huge on magic tricks as a kid, but this is really only gonna happen if it comes highly recommended).

Anyone have any experience with these? I appreciate any info you can give, or even other recommendations!

Inx on

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've been playing Shiren obsessively for the past few days. Only get it if you don't mind losing progress. It's an almost meta-experience, losing all progress with death, humbling the player regarding their playing skill.

It does have a somewhat steep learning curve, but nothing that can't be cured in about half an hour.

...but, aside from the difficulty and merciless nature of the game, it is extremely addictive, fun, deep and, if you're a fan of roguelikes, -the- game to pickup for on the go dungeon crawling.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    I've been playing Shiren obsessively for the past few days. Only get it if you don't mind losing progress. It's an almost meta-experience, losing all progress with death, humbling the player regarding their playing skill.

It does have a somewhat steep learning curve, but nothing that can't be cured in about half an hour.

...but, aside from the difficulty and merciless nature of the game, it is extremely addictive, fun, deep and, if you're a fan of roguelikes, -the- game to pickup for on the go dungeon crawling.

Awesome....

Whats the combat system like? Is it menus, or is it like "press A to attack, use the touch screen for items" kinda thing?

Inx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Face enemy, press A. Also, go into menu if you wish to use an item.
    Or, hold Y to orient character, press L to fire arrows (provided you have some and have them equipped)

But, it is turn based, yet it feels very fast. Think Zelda if every sword swipe you did gave the enemy a return hit, and every square you walked gave everything on the map a move as well.

Levelling up is done extremely quickly, as the character is probably not permanent anyhow. It's common to finish the game around level 30 or so, but, the point is not to gain experience for your character, it's to gain experience yourself, usually by dying or toughing out a difficult situation. It's all about you, the player, learning how to cope with the situations you'll face. Equipment, as in most roguelikes, is a big part, but never grow too attached to it, or you'll be sorely disapointed.

Because it's about dying and retrying, it makes for an almost arcade feeling, perfectly portable, yet astoundingly deep and strategic.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So it plays almost exactly like dungeon crawl.

Brilliant!

Inx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ha ha ha, it's the closest you'll find to a modern version of Rogue. It's very much oldschool in its values, from randomized dungeons and items to identifying equipment through trial and error.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=52525&page=29

As a warning, if you do decide to pick it up, -you. will. get. pissed. off-. You will work for hours towards that +70 Sword of Death Strike Kablam Godly Power, and you will die or lose it to something stupid, and it will always be your own fault for not preparing or assessing the risk according.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ha ha ha, it's the closest you'll find to a modern version of Rogue. It's very much oldschool in its values, from randomized dungeons and items to identifying equipment through trial and error.

As a warning, if you do decide to pick it up, -you. will. get. pissed. off-. You will work for hours towards that +70 Sword of Death Strike Kablam Godly Power, and you will die or lose it to something stupid, and it will always be your own fault for not preparing or assessing the risk according.

If I try to rescue someone, but die, does it screw me over on my own playthrough?

Inx on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Another possibility for a dungeon crawler is Eterian Odyssey. However it might be harder to find than Shiren.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Face enemy, press A. Also, go into menu if you wish to use an item.
    Or, hold Y to orient character, press L to fire arrows (provided you have some and have them equipped)

But, it is turn based, yet it feels very fast. Think Zelda if every sword swipe you did gave the enemy a return hit, and every square you walked gave everything on the map a move as well.

Levelling up is done extremely quickly, as the character is probably not permanent anyhow. It's common to finish the game around level 30 or so, but, the point is not to gain experience for your character, it's to gain experience yourself, usually by dying or toughing out a difficult situation. It's all about you, the player, learning how to cope with the situations you'll face. Equipment, as in most roguelikes, is a big part, but never grow too attached to it, or you'll be sorely disapointed.

Because it's about dying and retrying, it makes for an almost arcade feeling, perfectly portable, yet astoundingly deep and strategic.

you just sold them a copy. sounds outstandingly fun.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Inx wrote: »

If I try to rescue someone, but die, does it screw me over on my own playthrough?

I have yet to do the rescuing stuff, so it might be best to read that thread, but a good rule of thumb I'd say for this game is that death always screws you over.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sorry that my OP for that Shiren thread still sucks but I haven't had time to play. Still people seem to be having fun rescuing and being rescued by each other.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)