As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achewood Appreciation

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Wait... isn't Roy neutered?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002

it's mentioned as far as I can find only in this strip, which is before "The Party" so arguably noncanon :P

EDIT: Onstad's commentary on this strip in Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar
    The status of Ray's genitals was a big gray area in the early days. Was he neutered? Was he not? In the end, I think he's intact, but it may have taken resurgury.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=06172016

I actually felt sorry for Ray in this one.

No, he had it coming.

I'm sorry for that, I just had to

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't quite see how this is on Ray. Unless Little Nephew was never really Ray's nephew...

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Wait... isn't Roy neutered?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01212002

it's mentioned as far as I can find only in this strip, which is before "The Party" so arguably noncanon :P

EDIT: Onstad's commentary on this strip in Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar
    The status of Ray's genitals was a big gray area in the early days. Was he neutered? Was he not? In the end, I think he's intact, but it may have taken resurgury.

Ray also disputes the neutered claim of the sign in this strip: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01242002

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ray got sober.

pTtd2N7.gif

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    That's a pretty dang good comic from the Onstad/Ray perspective.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That's a pretty dang good comic from the Onstad/Ray perspective.

Yeah that hit me a bit harder than I expected.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    yea thats a good one, I have a few friends and well ex friends who are alcoholics. Some "functional" and one who well.. I am waiting for his name to show up in the obits.

I am sure there is the full spectrum of people who after they stop being alcoholics they either probably should never drink again because they don't want to open themselves up to falling down that whole again, or other that have enough insight that they might be able to have a drink without reverting back alcoholism.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Ray also disputes the neutered claim of the sign in this strip: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01242002
    The one before this is one of the best

comic.php?date=01232002

what makes it is that Todd & co think he called them over

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    EkMSxZ5.gif

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can't awesome that.

• Options
    EkMSxZ5.gif

..... damn

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I kind of imagined that he was hitting himself at first. With the way the thought bubble sort of seemed to have downward momentum towards where he was looking.

The alt text does say "He only uses his anger at Gramma K on par -4 holes."

so you know. . .there's that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The thought bubble turns into the shape of his hair

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Ray got sober.

pTtd2N7.gif

Heh. As an alcoholic this is pretty spot on.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I kind of want to see an Achewood/Bojack crossover.

There would be no survivors.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ray got sober.

pTtd2N7.gif

The thing is - and please correct me if I'm wrong, here - everything I've heard suggests that, no, addicts don't ever "get over it". They really are at constant risk of relapse, for the rest of their lives, unless they're vigilant and modify their behavior to minimize temptation; and those who do try to resume their activity of choice "in moderation" almost always fall back into old habits (as it were), usually sooner than later.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ray got sober.

pTtd2N7.gif

The thing is - and please correct me if I'm wrong, here - everything I've heard suggests that, no, addicts don't ever "get over it". They really are at constant risk of relapse, for the rest of their lives, unless they're vigilant and modify their behavior to minimize temptation; and those who do try to resume their activity of choice "in moderation" almost always fall back into old habits (as it were), usually sooner than later.

No that's not a mandate and that sort of perception is exactly what the comic is talking about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ray got sober.

pTtd2N7.gif

No that's not a mandate and that sort of perception is exactly what the comic is talking about.

tbf Zoom isn't wrong on the vigilance bit, at least from what I'm doing in my recovery. I can't resume my old habits without risking a full blown relapse at some point down the line. So I don't bother.

However, I totally agree with Ray's umbrage with the terminology revolving around SA and the societal perception of those with substance abuse issues. Teodore is pretty much on the ball that at the end of the day most people don't want to acknowledge it.

IMO it's because it raises questions about alcohol use and it's place in society.

But that's like an entirely different topic for a separate thread.

• Options
    "no, that's wrong"
    "yeah, that's right"

Honestly, who am I supposed to believe? :/

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do your own research?

Or a glib answer is that people are different and reasons for addiction are different and the cognitive strategies required to avoid problematic behaviour re:addiction or abuse may not be universal.

• Options
    Fair enough; thanks for your response.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I kind of want to see an Achewood/Bojack crossover.

There would be no survivors.

Philippe would be fine. He's a special boy!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08192016

I think it would be fitting to not do a follow up on this comic. We will never know if Todd could do it.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It's just you and the ghost.

• Options
    I take it back, what Onstad did was far far more fitting for Todd.

http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=08262016

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    ah man, i was rooting for him.

Oh well at least he can catch up with Blister.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    "no, that's wrong"
    "yeah, that's right"

I had a feeling something like that would happen.

It is Todd, after all

• Options
    "no, that's wrong"
    "yeah, that's right"

It is Todd, after all

wait you had a feeling Todd would scream so hard he would auto decapitate himself and then roast beef would jump on his corpse forcing the air outta it to swear one last time.

:D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    ah man, i was rooting for him.

Oh well at least he can catch up with Blister.

Eh, he's in and out of hell all the time.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    "TODD HAS AUTO-DECAPITATED! THIS IS A FIRST FOR HIM!" is such a good line

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I quite liked "their dead grey junk fryin' in the shit-hot voice 'a satan's hated son"

• Options
    "no, that's wrong"
    "yeah, that's right"

It is Todd, after all

wait you had a feeling Todd would scream so hard he would auto decapitate himself and then roast beef would jump on his corpse forcing the air outta it to swear one last time.

:D

Well I figured he was going to die vis some sort of self-inflicted head related trauma. I thought he'd scream so hard his head would pop. It was close enough :P

• Options
    "with the same sonic foot print as a tomato falling diseased from the vine" is such a good line

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    From Onstad's facebook today
    Friends of the Library:
    This week I have indulged myself in the pleasure of presenting the first-person thoughts of R. Beef, R. Smuckles, and Philippe — in their long-standing blogs. I am fully aware that such reading assignments largely go over like lead balloons. We didn't get this old to do homework.
    I encourage you to read the twelve years' worth of blogs, as I think that is where Achewood really happens. They complement the time-adjacent strips, they build stories impossible to the four-sided box.
    http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2016/09/i-bothered-pat-at-grocery-store-awesome.html
    http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2016/09/watch-out-im-doin-grateful.html
    http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2016/09/pony-coldadas.html
    Yours in Typeliness,
    C

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    \o/ blog updates!

• Options
    I've only had time to read the roast beef one and I laughed out loud multiple times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Saving these to enjoy with a beer when I get home :)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    One thing that I thoroughly enjoyed while reading vol. 2 of the Achewood collections (found it used at Powell's Books in Portland a couple of weeks ago) was the commentary Onstand provided for each strip, but more so than that, I loved the History of Achewood introductions that explain how Philippe, Teodor, Mr. Bear, and Lyle ended up in Onstad's house. So, so well written.

I will indulge in the blog posts later today, I think.

• Options
    I kind of wonder if there's a possible future where Onstad branches off to just straight up writing.

steam_sig.png