As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hip Hop Me

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've always been to hip hop, but i've kinda fallen out of hearing new shit for a while. Last era i really listened to hip hop regularly was around when Dialated Peoples, J5, and like Black on Both sides were hot.

Lately I've been basically listening to "Woman Tonight" by Felt on repeat. That and Bizare Ride II.

Anyone have any hip hop recs? Songs about women like "Woman Tonight" or "Modern Man's Hustle" by Atmosphere (really the same guy) are mostly what I'm looking for.

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Slug (the guy from Atmosphere) is great.

I'm a little drunk, so I apologize for egregious spelling or grammar errors.

Aesop Rock (who I'm sure you're aware of) just put out an album this year entitled None Shall Pass. It's amazing, and you should pick it up.

Blackalicious is always good. Blazing Arrow is my favorite of their albums.

Saul Williams put out a new album this year as well. He's a bit more spoken word than Slug, but he's good stuff. The Rise and Fall of Niggy Tardust (his newest album) is available for free on his website.

You're probably familiar with most of my other recommendations, but I'll list them just in case you're curious: Edo G, The Roots, Dead Prez, Cannibal Ox, any other artist on Definitive Jux.

Now, if you're looking for someone who shares Slug's Christina Ricci obsession, he's pretty much the only one in that game.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, im a little crunk myself. But ive been on that blackalicious shit since the beginning.

I'll have to check out that Tardust and Edo G stuff. And the Aesop Rock.

Also reminded me about that sage francis

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • SeldomSeldom Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    None Shall Pass is definitely good.

Black Star is sweet, something Mos Def and Talib Kweli did together a while back.

i've been listening to Ghetto Pop Life a fair bit, done by Danger Mouse and Jemini.

MF Doom and Danger Mouse worked on The Mouse and The Mask together as DangerDoom and it's a very slick record too.

Deltron does sweet stuff, i've been playing a lot of his Deltron 3030 album.

A Tribe Called Quest is ace.

there's heaps, i'll probably add stuff to this post as i think about it, or listen to it haha.

Seldom on
    The revolution is eternal.
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just some from the top of my head.

Typical Cats
    The Grouch
    Living Legends
    Aesop Rock
    Denizen Kane
    Qwel
    Blackalicious
    Mystik Journeymen
    Cannibal Ox

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eric B and Rakim

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    definitely check out the flobots. they're a band in the traditional sense, they have a guitarist, drummer, bassist, and a viola and trumpet player which is what makes them amazing. definitely hip hop though. they're a local band from denver but they just signed with universal and their album is going to see wide release in may.

jedi mind trick is good, but they have a heavy east-coast flavor.

gym class heroes are pretty good, but i got tired of hearing cupid's chokehold on the radio every ten minutes last summer.

you have to check out lupe fiasco's new album, it's pretty amazing. also kanye west is good if you can ignore the fact that he's like the most arrogant mc on the planet.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    luckyiam.psc from living legends

Pojaco on
  • TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Coup are really excellent. So's Sage Francis, and if you get a chance to see him live, buy tickets immediately.

Trowizilla on
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From the first post, I'm getting the vibe that you would dig "The listening" by Little Brother. Not super lyrical, but two great emcees over dope 9th wonder beats.

As soon as you said songs about women, the first thing I thought was "Wildflower" by Ghostface Killah

Def peep MF DOOM's whole catalogue(as MF DOOM at least) with Operation: Doomsday

LRG on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aesop Rock is one of my all time favorites but Cunninlynguists comes in a close second:

Some songs:
    Lynguistics
    Nothing To Give
    Things I Dream

These are all off different albums in a linear fashion so you can see how much their sound has changed over the years.

An album you should certainly get if you like southern hip hop is Bubba Sparxxxs Deliverance. It's a sort of country/folk/hip hop fusion but it turns out perfect, like a deep fried snickers. Here's the video for the title track.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dead Prez
    The Roots
    Jedi Mind Tricks
    Blackalicious
    Black Star
    -Mos Def and Talib Kwali are also good solo artists
    Wu-Tang Clan Meets the Indie Culture is an amazing album
    Immortal Technique
    Snow (ok, kidding)
    Tech N9ne

Do you like stuff with a really pertinent message, or good production, or clever wordplay? What about more mainstream rap? Nas's Stillmatic is a good album, and Haystak is a little-known southern artist that covers the traditional fair (weed, drank, women, money, selling coke) in a pretty interesting way.

TL DR on
  • Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No love for El-P's Fantastic Damage?

Shameful.

Also, KMD's Black Bastards and Raekwon's Only Built for Cuban Linx,

Wyvern998 on