As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in Seattle!

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm going down to Seattle in May with my wife for a little getaway. She has always wanted to go to Seattle, and I keep going for PAX, so since it is a short direct flight from Edmonton I figured - hey! what the hell! lets do it!

But aside from some fine dining and maybe a trip out to the local vineyards I'm not sure what to DO there. I usually go to PAX. Thats not an option in May.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping some of our many Seattle forumers will have advice.

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm really only familiar with one sight but it's pretty neat. Of course, that only really fills up about ten minutes of your visit.

Edit: The Subterranean Neighborhood always sounded neat too.

Quid on
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Zoo is awesome. You should definitely go there. The aquarium is also awesome. The space needle is the obvious answer if you like tourist-y things, as is the area around the aquarium by the water, including the market thing they have down there (whose name escapes me at the moment for some reason -- they throw fish :D).

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cfgauss: You're looking for the Pike Place Market.

The Seattle Center can be a good time, especially if you look ahead and plan around events they might have going on. The actual space needle I've heard to be expensive (haven't been there myself).

Other places in Seattle I'm familiar with include:

Gameworks (fairly typical two-story arcade downtown; don't know how it stacks up to other arcades),

Freemont Troll (worth a brief stop, but not much to do),

Pacific Science Center (with 3D IMAX and fun for the whole family),

Woodland Park Zoo (has some cool niche attractions in addition to all the critters you know and love),

Seattle Aquarium (don't have much to say about this one; I haven't been there in a while).

There are a lot of events worth attending that depend on when you're here; I can't remember any in May off the top of my head, but bopping around the Seattle Center web site and Google should find some.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Experience Music Project and Sci-Fi Hall of Fame is a cool place to visit (two different museums, but right next door to each other): http://www.empsfm.org/

Pike's Market's always a great place to spend a day, too.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Underground Tour's good too.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Underground...?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A while ago Seattle decided "screw this, we're starting over" and they raised everything like 10 feet or whatever. The "old" Seattle is still underground, and Underground Tour gives tours of it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's where the C.H.U.D.s live
    It's a tour through the ruins of old Seattle. It really is underground.

Also, end of May? You know you must.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    The Experience Music Project and Sci-Fi Hall of Fame is a cool place to visit (two different museums, but right next door to each other): http://www.empsfm.org/

Pike's Market's always a great place to spend a day, too.

These.

The EMP is wicked cool, even if it does look like a festering boil on the foot of the Space Needle. It's a loving tribute to American music, with a cool permanent exhibit focusing on Northwest bands (and it goes way past Nirvana). There's an optional self-guided audio tour with lots of clips of recordings and concerts.

There's no reason not to go to Pike Place Market. You can kill a day just poking around random little stores. And the Pike Place Fish Market is iconic...that's where they throw the fish around.

If you can make your way up to my old stomping grounds in Everett (about 15 miles North, straight up the I-5) you might want to tour the Boeing assembly plant, the world's largest building by volume.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X