As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Thread: Stop posting huge images inline, retards

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here's a good video of real RvR.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h48yRo255fU

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys playing DAoC: coordinatify here.

I like how that black orc is in the thick of it and doesn't die.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, unfortunately in most of the convention vids that we've seen you have to take the "bad player who doesn't know the game" factor into account. Once people realize how you're supposed to play the game it'll look much better.

That Choppa vid and a Witch Hunter vid that was floating around youtube for a while both showed what decent players can do in pvp.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this will be the last Daoc post in here. I'm down, patching as we speak. Also if were going midgard / gareth Im the leader of the fancy lads so we have a guild already. I'll post my chr names in the morskitter 6 mouths thread once i ge updated and logged in.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h48yRo255fU

That looks awesome. I love how it looks both hectic and action packed, and yet people don't die in 2-3 hits without focused healing on them (like in WoW).

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Don't Draeven, I already made a thread here in the MMO forum. :3

Get into Camelot, ya buncha gits!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not to go off on a rant here but:

Was watching these two RvR videos from the Paris event, both of these videos are of the same fight just different sides.

Disciple on Destruction
    http://warhammervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Movies.Detail&id=137

Witch Hunter on Order
    http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id3490,warhammer_online_szenarien_pvp_presse_event_paris.html

Around 1:49(On the Disciple video) or so you can clearly see (ha) on the left of the screen a Witch Hunter coming out of complete invisibility and firing his weapon. On the Witch Hunter Video at 1:26 you can see him go into invisibility.

Now, did I miss a memo or was I misinformed about stealth NOT being in the game?

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now, did I miss a memo or was I misinformed about stealth NOT being in the game?

This is precisely why I find it so depressing that there are so damn many people preordering the game solely on Paul's word, rather than any actual evidence of product.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

This is precisely why I find it so depressing that there are so damn many people preordering the game solely on Paul's word, rather than any actual evidence of product.

Thats why I decided not to pre-order the game. Paul can't sell me on something that my hands have not touched and everything I know about it is from his ramblings and soggy videos of people who don't know how to play and with information that can and will constantly change.

I don't care how much opium he has in his system, no pre-order until I crack a skull and see a concrete list of whats in and whats not that will not change as it should of been months ago instead of this "Oh hey EA gave us another 500,000,000 dollars so we can delay a few more months in an effort to give EA it's own WoW so they won't disband Mythic and move us to Cali.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not going to lie, the stealth thing is kinda fucked up.

It's an MMO, and an in development MMO, so shit is going to change. We'll just have to wait and see in this regard.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    I still cant believe people actually thought there wouldn't be stealth.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    It's an MMO, and an in development MMO, so shit is going to change. We'll just have to wait and see in this regard.

This.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oddjob, shut up.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    I still cant believe people actually thought there wouldn't be stealth.

This, and that it's such a big deal. Which it's not.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oddjob, shut up.

No you.

But seriously, thats just my view. As much as I want to pre-order the game to enjoy the warhammerness who knows what features will go in and out in the many months till gold now.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have discovered things about stuff.

In *cough* unrelated news I am not bothered by the apparent stealth we've seen, though always a vocal opponent of Night Elf Rogues and their incessant bullshit in WoW.

edit: If you can brave some of the stupid; there's quite a few discussions based on the public play experiences we've seen. The only thing that gets me is justifying short-term, out-of-combat, stealth for a Witch Elf. Why not just a berzerker charge?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just cancel the preorder if it doesn't look good to you in the end?>

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The only thing that gets me is justifying short-term, out-of-combat, stealth for a Witch Elf. Why not just a berzerker charge?

Because they already used that mechanic with the Choppa

narv107 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    narv107 wrote: »
    The only thing that gets me is justifying short-term, out-of-combat, stealth for a Witch Elf. Why not just a berzerker charge?

Because they already used that mechanic with the Choppa

Which should have an Orczerker charge. Leaving the Witch Elf free.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why a game doesn't just make it so that you can't see any blazing names or nameplates over your enemy's head. Then people would be able to actually hide in bushes for a manual ambush that took planning. Having stealth classes and floating enemy names is like saying, "These are the classes who are allowed to go magically invisible, and the rest of you are not even allowed to hide using your own effort".

In fact, the original reason I chose to use the name Niji many years ago was so that I could have a name that is shorter than the width of my character so as to minimize the amount that would stick out while manually sitting/standing behind something. Conveniently, four characters was the minimum length for a name in DAoC. Not so conveniently, everyone just saw "A Midgard Invader" over my head. -_- But there was no way to know that when creating a character in a brand new game.

Niji on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Witch Hunters have short-term stealth, thus a Destruction class has to have it as well. I don't see Witch Hunters doing the whole 'Zerker Charge business...

There is stealth. It's confirmed. It's not WoW stealth.

In the confusion of battle someone sneaking up on you from behind is practically stealth anyway, this won't change much.

Also, I remember quite a few times they have said that their game would not have typical MMO stealth, but I don't remember no stealth at all. This isn't "typical MMO stealth" (hidden forever without use of ap / energy / mana / rocket sauce / whatever) so I'd say mission accomplished. How often do we bitch about mage stealth in WoW? A bit, but is has some balance to it. I think of WAR stealth in that way. It can feel cheap sometimes, but there's a trade off (in that it drains your ap. Longer you are stealth, the less action you can take upon exiting stealth).

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh, witch hunters would totally do a zerker charge if this was based completely off tabletop, i'm actually suprised that they dont have some sort of rage ability, although i guess both that and stealth would be a bit overboard

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Heh, witch hunters would totally do a zerker charge if this was based completely off tabletop, i'm actually suprised that they dont have some sort of rage ability, although i guess both that and stealth would be a bit overboard

Really? Damn, I am weak in the ways of the tabletop Warhammer. I should really just go out and buy a rule book just to have something to read.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Niji wrote: »
    I don't understand why a game doesn't just make it so that you can't see any blazing names or nameplates over your enemy's head. Then people would be able to actually hide in bushes for a manual ambush that took planning. Having stealth classes and floating enemy names is like saying, "These are the classes who are allowed to go magically invisible, and the rest of you are not even allowed to hide using your own effort".

In fact, the original reason I chose to use the name Niji many years ago was so that I could have a name that is shorter than the width of my character so as to minimize the amount that would stick out while manually sitting/standing behind something. Conveniently, four characters was the minimum length for a name in DAoC. Not so conveniently, everyone just saw "A Midgard Invader" over my head. -_- But there was no way to know that when creating a character in a brand new game.

I want this soooooo badly.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I see Witch Hunters doing more of a righteous yelling Sigmarite scripture while waving fire around charge.

Though some are quite calm and collected.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Have any tanks mastery paths besides Chosen been revealed yet?

So far all the ranged/melee dps paths seem to have exactly the same style trees. Single target DPS, Dots, Aoe DPS; all of these have some small variations in them yes, but so far they're looking about the same from career to career.

We can speculate that all the tanks will have a defense oriented path and a two handed damage oriented path while the third will be up in the air it looks like. I'm assuming heavy debuffs but I'm really curious what the other tanks will end up with for a third path.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In the swordmaster video they talk about the different trees.

They all seem to come down to 2H, sword and board, utility for tanks.

Oats on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »

Yeah, it's path of Vaul (defensive - includes shield abilities, but I think includes greatweapon defensive abilities too), path of Khaine (offensive) and path of Magic (not real name, but it focuses on the magical abilities of the Swordmaster)

The fact you can move forward while channeling Wall of Darting Steel is awesome.

Zante on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm really curious as to what the Black Orc's third path will revolve around.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zante wrote: »
    Oatway wrote: »

Yeah, it's path of Vaul (defensive - includes shield abilities, but I think includes greatweapon defensive abilities too), path of Khaine (offensive) and path of Magic (not real name, but it focuses on the magical abilities of the Swordmaster)

The fact you can move forward while channeling Wall of Darting Steel is awesome.

Hoeth is the name you're missing.

And yes, tanky defencive pushes are awesome hot.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Black Orc Masteries:

WAAAGH!

WAAAGH!

WAAAGH!

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »

Black Orc Masteries:

Smashin Stunties!

Keepin dum gitz in line!

WAAAGH!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

More Choppin'

More Thumpin'

Dead 'Ard

Jebu on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, they're keeping the big glowly names above the heads of enemies? That's more than a little depressing. Makes it difficult to set up an ambush if they can see your nameplate poking out from behind rocks and other terrain.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I should have anticipated the WAAAGHS!

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, they're keeping the big glowly names above the heads of enemies? That's more than a little depressing. Makes it difficult to set up an ambush if they can see your nameplate poking out from behind rocks and other terrain.

Maybe you should spend less time hiding like a fucking pansy and more time WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHing, then.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »

Maybe you should spend less time hiding like a fucking pansy and more time WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHing, then.

Says the guy using words.

CRUMP IN DA GOB!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hey guys, any word on any websites doing a thing like WoW does with all their stupid little banners and stats for WAR?

[Lucky Cynic]
    <<The Six Mouths>>
    Level 40 Chosen
    163 out of 14,729 tome unlocks!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Not yet, though we do know Mythic supports that sort of thing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Meaning what, Mythic will do something like that or will promote stuff like that?

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.