Options

Thief 4 - Probably in the works.

• Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief 3 was great and you guys are mean.

I mean come on guys, it had the Shalebridge Cradle!

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did they ever release any sort of 'optimized movement' patch or anything to make it move more like T1 and T2 on ttlg.com or anywhere? The movement in Thief 3 was ungodly horrible, the way Garrett left his hips pointing oddly in the direction you were last going so if you turned or strafed you'd go off in the wrong direction for a second.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief 3 was as good as the others, small levels be damned. The level design in Thief 3 is more consistent than either previous game, both of which had some truly horrendous levels. Thief 3 did not. The story was also the finest in the entire trilogy. It's awesome, and you suck for saying it sucks.

I've always avoided Deus Ex IW, though, since I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I'm sure nerds are overreacting, though, so I'm gonna buy it and tell all of you you're wrong. Or not. I'm currently playing through the first game, by the way, and I gotta say I don't like it as much as I used to. The shooting is pretty bad, there's very little interaction with people, and the sound design is just horrific. Try sticking a combat knife into a wall; it sounds as though you're throwing pistachio nut shells into a cardboard box.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just think it's telling that people consistently call it "Thief 3", and "Deus Ex: Invisible War".

Shows the level of acceptance of both.

Or maybe just the hatred of the Thief subtitle. Heh.

I don't really want a fourth game. From what I recall, it was supposed to be a trilogy, dealing with the 3 most powerful groups in the City; the Pagans (Thief 1), the Hammers (Thief 2) and the Keepers (Thief 3).

Oh, and, having thus far avoided Facebook like the plague, said link reverts to the search page.

Tamin on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You sure the Thief series was supposed to be anything? Thief changed entirely in the course of its making, and the second's story was just cobbled together from the level themes they picked. The third wrapped up Garrett's story, but that doesn't mean the series itself is over.

Glal on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dachish wrote: »
    Did they ever release any sort of 'optimized movement' patch or anything to make it move more like T1 and T2 on ttlg.com or anywhere? The movement in Thief 3 was ungodly horrible, the way Garrett left his hips pointing oddly in the direction you were last going so if you turned or strafed you'd go off in the wrong direction for a second.

There is a minimalist mod that is available through the ttlg forums. I've not played the PC version of Deadly Shadows without it, but it comes pretty close to character movement in Thief 1 and 2 -- just no rope arrows.

Doronron on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought the minimalist project only changed it to the old interface? I didn't know it changed the movement. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    You sure the Thief series was supposed to be anything? Thief changed entirely in the course of its making, and the second's story was just cobbled together from the level themes they picked. The third wrapped up Garrett's story, but that doesn't mean the series itself is over.

So far as I recall developer interviews and the like, yes, I am sure.

Garrett, at least to this point, is the series. I'm trying to imagine you saying "well, Rand Al'Thor's story is wrapped up; that doesn't mean the series is over" (not completely sure why *that* came to mind) seriously.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »

Thief 4: Apollo Justice

I don't know about you, but my fingers are crossed!

Captain K on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2008
    Thief 3 was great and you guys are mean.

I mean come on guys, it had the Shalebridge Cradle!

i feel it kept the atmosphere of the thief games completely intact, but the gameplay lost out

the levels in DS are as memorable as anything from DP or MA, if you ask me; they're just smaller

bongi on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh pffft, Thief 3 was great, even if the levels were a bit small.

Though I am a little concerned about Thief 4, since nobody from the original teams appears to be working on it... and there's always the chance we won't get Garrett goodness, since he retired at the end of 3 and took on a female student. Hope we won't get something stereotypically sexy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Huh. I'd forgotten the ending to Thief 3. Some great levels (Manse, Cradle, some others).

Just not sure how much longer they can legitimately keep the "Look, I just want to rob the City blind; I ... damnit, fine. I'll save the world, again." vibe going.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Though I am a little concerned about Thief 4, since nobody from the original teams appears to be working on it... and there's always the chance we won't get Garrett goodness, since he retired at the end of 3 and took on a female student. Hope we won't get something stereotypically sexy.

If it's the girl grown up a bit, it'll end up being marketed as a steampunk Tomb Raider. Hopefully it won't play like that.

Hopefully it'll also have complete levels instead of the splintered ones we were given in Deadly Shadows.

Doronron on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2008
    couldn't they set it before thief 3?

bongi on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know, as sad as I would be to take a departure from Garrett, I think that a female character, if done right, could really work well with the game.

She would just have to retain all of Garrett's sassiness and ambiguous morality.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I want to play as a Hammerite. I don't care if you're not a thief, I want to smite some taffers.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thievery UT? Although you're a guard there, not a Hammerite.

Glal on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh my God, if it had a multiplayer mode like Thievery...

I would pee on someone, in celebration.
    Maybe not.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    couldn't they set it before thief 3?

Thief 0: Origins?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OMG YES!

However everyone here is making me worry, with the talk of a different team involved and general excepticism after Deadly Shadows, excepticism I share, even though DS was a great game. I wouldn't mind a new female thief, if they handle it the way previous thief games handled scenario and characters it would be great, because sexed-up protagonist wouldn't fit in this world, but maybe I'm way too optimistic.

And if they have any common sense left and are forced to do the console/PC thing again I don't see how they can dismiss the Wii as the only console platform that can do a thief game justice, of course common sense is the least common so in that regard I am pessimistic, such a wasted potential, a remoted controlled thief game would be awesome.

mantidor on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The fuck is excepticism?

august on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

EA... horray?

also am i the only one that has played Thief 2X... its a pretty good unofficial expansion, not nearly as good as 1 or 2 but about as good as 3

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I can only imagine it's the principle of constantly making exceptions for things.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »
    The fuck is excepticism?

Sounds like a cousin of "truthiness."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Barcardi wrote: »

EA... horray?

also am i the only one that has played Thief 2X... its a pretty good unofficial expansion, not nearly as good as 1 or 2 but about as good as 3

Played the first two missions and found some things annoying about it.

Should probably get back into it.

august on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wooo go Montreal.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The fuck is excepticism?

Sounds like a cousin of "truthiness."

The internet taught me english, it's your fault!

I'll get spellcheck installed to avoid embarrassment in the future :P.

mantidor on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Think you're looking for "scepticism." Or "skepticism" if you prefer.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Think you're looking for "scepticism." Or "skepticism" if you prefer.

scepticism was the one.

Now I actually retract my last statement, I don't want a pc/wii thief game I want an exclusive wii Thief game! I can't think of a single gameplay mechanic that isn't made 10 times more awesome with the remote, from the obvious pointing for the bow to picking locks.

Yes I know, but let me dream.

mantidor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I enjoyed the third game more than enough to play a fourth. The second is much harder to get into(I'm playing the series backwards, like I wind up doing often), but I like the cutscene style.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The missions in Thief 2 tend to ramp up in quality after the first two.

I really don't like Shipping and Receiving.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is there some place where I could acquire the first two thief games? I played a demo for I think 2 a long time ago and regret not playing more.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ebay.

august on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I found Thief 2 at an EB almost a year ago.

It was pennied out, and they gave it to me.

Check around; lots of EBStops have old PC games just lying around.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just hope that the engine used is able to create whole levels after being tweaked this time.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    I just hope that the engine used is able to create whole levels after being tweaked this time.

Probably.

The last one was sort of unique combination of the Unreal Engine and XBox's shitty RAM and lack of developer effort.

Don't really see them fucking that up again.

DX3 is going to use the latest version of the Tomb Raider engine which I don't think has a problem with large ares.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I can't see any potential Thief 4 not going multiplatform, and given what they have to work with in the 360 and PS3, they can't blame consoles for causing unrealistic hindrances to the gameplay...

Doronron on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The fuck is excepticism?
    I'd believe it but...

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Doronron wrote: »

DX3 is going to use the latest version of the Tomb Raider engine which I don't think has a problem with large arses.

It's how I read it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They should release Thief: Source mirite?

Cervetus on