Options

Thief 4 - Probably in the works.

13»

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not sure how quickly it's progressing, but TTLG is working on a port of Thief to the Doom 3 engine. Still not sure why they chose that.

Tamin on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The lighting.

august on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's also not really a port of Thief.

It's a toolset with a bunch of pre-made assets that are similar to the original Thief ones. The goal isn't to remake Thief, it's to create a toolset that will allow people to make Thief-like fan missions on the Doom 3 engine.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd forgotten the particulars.

Tamin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    I can't see any potential Thief 4 not going multiplatform, and given what they have to work with in the 360 and PS3, they can't blame consoles for causing unrealistic hindrances to the gameplay...

Sure we can.

-KBAM vs Controller
    -dumbing it down for the console tards
    etc.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Doronron wrote: »
    I can't see any potential Thief 4 not going multiplatform, and given what they have to work with in the 360 and PS3, they can't blame consoles for causing unrealistic hindrances to the gameplay...

Sure we can.

-KBAM vs Controller
    -dumbing it down for the console tards
    etc.

Thief fans don't need an excuse. If anything isn't exactly the same as it was in the first two games, it's a piece of dumbed down shit. I don't care what it is. If it's not exactly the same, the game sucks.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There's nothing about Thief that needs to be dumbed down for console.

Seriously Thief 3 was the exact same gameplay just below par level design because of the shitty engine

august on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »

Seriously Thief 3 was the exact same gameplay just below par level design because of the shitty engine
    :^:

And the third-person, but I liked it.

Oh my god, can you imagine if the Cradle hadn't been limited to two discrete ***LOADING*** sections? :D:oD::cry:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »

A few dumb changes too (no rope arrows, the 3rd person thing, the tiny outside city, a few others), but essentially that's correct.

shryke on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In stealth games, do you prefer guards that are smart and tenacious if you're discovered or do you like guards to be easy to fool? Mind you, easy to fool doesn't have to mean stupid - everyone hates Tenchu's brain dead guards - but what's the sweet spot?

I remember in the third Thief game, guards drew their swords and started poking around blindly in the dark if they suspected someone was there, which seems reasonable without making the game unforgiving. I hope that level of alertness returns in the next Thief game.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The only thing that bothered me out of Thief 3 was the splintering of the levels. That's it.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This makes me really want to pick thief 3 back up. I got really far into it and I think WoW happened or something. I still regret not finishing it. One of the 3 games I've bought but never finished and the only "bought but never finished" that I thoroughly enjoyed. I had almost forgotten about it, thanks G&T!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    In stealth games, do you prefer guards that are smart and tenacious if you're discovered or do you like guards to be easy to fool? Mind you, easy to fool doesn't have to mean stupid - everyone hates Tenchu's brain dead guards - but what's the sweet spot?

I remember in the third Thief game, guards drew their swords and started poking around blindly in the dark if they suspected someone was there, which seems reasonable without making the game unforgiving. I hope that level of alertness returns in the next Thief game.

I'd like them to be smarter. I want them to notice when the guy I knocked out and threw in a corner isn't at his post. Or when the fancy candlesticks are suddenly gone.

shryke on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Always hard to balance.

Guards with human intelligence, if you have no extra-human powers by which to avoid them (flight, invisibility etc), are fucking difficult and often feel 'unfair', despite being realistic. Hence, guards that give up, get distracted, or just plain overlook things are staples.

What I think would work well would be guards that feel fear. So the investigate, thoroughly, but don't go too far into the shadows, or maybe walk really slowly and tentatively.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Another of the weakness of Deadly Shadows is the atmosphere and scenario didn't match the previous games, the stilish "drawing" cutscenes were really missed, details like the odd designs of Karras machines or the stained glass windows of churches, such things really added to the experience and were found sparsely in DS.

Also the "regular" cutscenes were awful, I don't now what they were trying to achieve but it failed. Everyone looked lifeless.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mantidor wrote: »
    Another of the weakness of Deadly Shadows is the atmosphere and scenario didn't match the previous games, the stilish "drawing" cutscenes were really missed, details like the odd designs of Karras machines or the stained glass windows of churches, such things really added to the experience and were found sparsely in DS.

Also the "regular" cutscenes were awful, I don't now what they were trying to achieve but it failed. Everyone looked lifeless.

The thing was there were just MORE cutscenes. Deadly Shadows had some spectacular ones, and I'd say the say AMOUNT of awesomeness was on par with the previous, but there was a crapton more plot and talking and exposition and those specific cutscenes were godawful. The ones where they used the character models.

august on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'd like them to be smarter. I want them to notice when the guy I knocked out and threw in a corner isn't at his post. Or when the fancy candlesticks are suddenly gone.

Did the guards notice if you left a door open? I remember they noticed if a torch on the wall was extinguished but they didn't notice moss arrows on the floor.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Metal Gear Solid type shit. That high level of AI thinking where they'll notice even snake in the corner of a room under a box and go, "Huh?" *poke poke*

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The major flaws of DS was the loss of stylized cutscenes and the lack of quality in the ones done in the ingame engine, which oddly enough looked worse than what the engine could actually do. That's the only major gripe I have with the game, and it still has some of the most kickass cutscenes in the entire series.

Man, I love Thief 3. The level cuts don't bother me at all; they're still great designs, you just have to zone once in a while. I don't think it's a huge deal.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    katkakatka Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I fucking love the Thief series. Thief 2 is my favorite game next to Earthbound.

I'm praying that this is true and the game doesn't suck.

katka on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Always hard to balance.

Guards with human intelligence, if you have no extra-human powers by which to avoid them (flight, invisibility etc), are fucking difficult and often feel 'unfair', despite being realistic. Hence, guards that give up, get distracted, or just plain overlook things are staples.

What I think would work well would be guards that feel fear. So the investigate, thoroughly, but don't go too far into the shadows, or maybe walk really slowly and tentatively.

There needs to be a batman game with thief type elements, only instead of pinching stuff you are going into criminal lairs and terrorising the bad guys from the shadows.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This makes me really want to pick thief 3 back up. I got really far into it and I think WoW happened or something. I still regret not finishing it. One of the 3 games I've bought but never finished and the only "bought but never finished" that I thoroughly enjoyed. I had almost forgotten about it, thanks G&T!
    Did you reach the Cradle before? Because you should always play to that point at least.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There needs to be a batman game with thief type elements, only instead of pinching stuff you are going into criminal lairs and terrorising the bad guys from the shadows.

Y-...

You mean this one?

Isn't that the second time in two days you've said 'there needs to be such and such' only to have it shown that exactly what you're describing has been done?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

Y-...

You mean this one?

Isn't that the second time in two days you've said 'there needs to be such and such' only to have it shown that exactly what you're describing has been done?

I think he meant like... a good one.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Beck wrote: »
    I was just thinking about how awesome a Thief game in a post Assassin's Creed world would be the other night. Hopefully rope arrows will make a triumphant return.

There's already an awesome stealth game with rope arrows out, thats better than Assassin's Creed. And coincidentally has the best melee combat I've had the pleasure of seeing. Dark Messiah.

Thief's never been about combat though. I feel like I"m cheating if I kill anyone. And I technically am, since Thief/2's expert mode disallowed it, while 3's permits killing guards.

Ah, that's true! I never played more than the demo, but Dark Messiah did have some awesome combat. Shame about the story, though.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was just thinking about how awesome a Thief game in a post Assassin's Creed world would be the other night. Hopefully rope arrows will make a triumphant return.

There's already an awesome stealth game with rope arrows out, thats better than Assassin's Creed. And coincidentally has the best melee combat I've had the pleasure of seeing. Dark Messiah.

Thief's never been about combat though. I feel like I"m cheating if I kill anyone. And I technically am, since Thief/2's expert mode disallowed it, while 3's permits killing guards.

Ah, that's true! I never played more than the demo, but Dark Messiah did have some awesome combat. Shame about the story, though.

No worse than Halo 3's.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The major flaws of DS was the loss of stylized cutscenes and the lack of quality in the ones done in the ingame engine, which oddly enough looked worse than what the engine could actually do.
    What... are you talking about? The T3 cutscenes were done in the exact same style as those from the previous games. The quality dropped in the last couple, I imagine due to time constraints, but other than that, the same thing.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    The major flaws of DS was the loss of stylized cutscenes and the lack of quality in the ones done in the ingame engine, which oddly enough looked worse than what the engine could actually do.
    What... are you talking about? The T3 cutscenes were done in the exact same style as those from the previous games. The quality dropped in the last couple, I imagine due to time constraints, but other than that, the same thing.

While there were some, it seemed that cutscenes using in-game assets were far more prevalent for most of the game.

Except they weren't even final version in-game assets. It looked like early stuff. Like if Half-Life had pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes using Gordon Freeman looking like a lumberjack in a yellow raincoat and then you switched back to in-game and he looked like his normal orange HEV, black thick framed glasses, and goteed self.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    :lol:

Glal on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Am I the only old school thief fan who liked (maybe even preferred) the third person mode? Nothing was wrong with thief 3 that a month or two of polish couldn't have fixed. The thing that bothered me the most wasn't the segmented levels, it was the annoying hub level that was cool at first but became progressively more and more repetitive/annoying as went through the game.

Also am I the only person who liked Deus Ex: IW? I rented it on the xbox and thought it was a fun weekend play, then again I never could get through the first one with its horrible strafing enemy ai.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I didn't mind the 3rd person perspective, but chose to play in 1st because I like there being risk to peeking around corners.
    Also, I liked IW just fine.

Glal on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »

While there were some, it seemed that cutscenes using in-game assets were far more prevalent for most of the game.

Except they weren't even final version in-game assets. It looked like early stuff. Like if Half-Life had pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes using Gordon Freeman looking like a lumberjack in a yellow raincoat and then you switched back to in-game and he looked like his normal orange HEV, black thick framed glasses, and goteed self.

This. You don't remember them? I know there's one when you go and see the Hammerite later on in the game. They look atrocious.

Edit: Here's one: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Le6zb_CwQ

Though I suppose they aren't worse than the times you talk to people in-game in Thief 1 and 2. The less you see of the character models in those games, the better.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.