As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archived Discussion

aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular

aunsoph on

• Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seeing a traceroute might be handy, as well as a little details about your connection and network setup. Could be any number of things really. More details will help to narrow it down a bit.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Based on that traceroute alone it certainly appears to be an issue with your ISP.

By any chance does the modem status page that you have access to list any details such as upstream/downstream signal/power levels, or signal to noise ratio (SNR)?

I assume Virtua is your ISP? I'd give them a call. You may have to escalate the call up to a higher level support technician before you get anywhere, if they are anything like ISPs here in the US the first two levels of support are worthless. Having recently worked for a cable ISP (Time Warner, thank god I've moved on from there) we see issues like this all the time, it shouldn't be difficult for someone with access to the right tools to verify the issue and have it fixed.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echoing what Sinn said, it exactly like an ISP problem. You have enough data I would call up their Customer Support and start that process. Ask to speak to a higher level tech person as soon as possible because the normal person answering your call first probably wont be able to help you.

My guess is they have a bad router somewhere causing problems. Also where are you located? .br is Brazil right?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The signal levels on the modem are right about where they should be, so the line between your modem and the nearest node/substation seems fine. Looks to be an issue with their routing equipment most likely.

sinn on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure they'll force me to turn my modem on and off, restart my machine a couple of times before they let me talk to someone that knows anything about anything. I still remember the time one of those monkeys insisted that I needed to buy a new network card to fix my connection shutting off when idle. All I needed to do in fact, was turn off the energy management shutdown.

Go in and immediately tell them all the info you've gathered from trace routes and other things, like you did to us :). That should get them to shut up fairly quickly and pass you on to someone higher up

smokmnky on