Options

Please lock mods.

• Options
    FynathFynath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Never mind, I guess. WiFi's being stupid again.

Fynath on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really like brawl, but it seems you fight 2 battles every match. One vs your opponent and one vs your controls struggling to get them to respond correctly. I wish Brawl had an option to turn on button display or something so you could see you were pushing the right buttons while your character did something else.

Sonork on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sonork wrote: »
    I really like brawl, but it seems you fight 2 battles every match. One vs your opponent and one vs your controls struggling to get them to respond correctly. I wish Brawl had an option to turn on button display or something so you could see you were pushing the right buttons while your character did something else.

You mean on wifi, right? That's input lag.

If you mean off line or regular I don't know what to tell you.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Someone tell me how to use Diddy's side B without getting raped every time!

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    forty wrote: »
    Someone tell me how to use Diddy's side B without getting raped every time!

What do you mean? Offensively, or for recovery? It's more useful for recovery -- the extra horizontal jump is pretty invaluable for recovery, and this together with his up+B grants him the best non-floaty character recovery in the game.

If you want to use it offensively, it has two (or three) uses. On the ground you can use it and press B immediately to do a leaping kick, it has it's uses. Be aware that if you use the kick, you can no longer use your upB for some retarded reason, so don't use it off the stage.

If you don't press B, it becomes a "latch on" grab. It doesn't work in the early or late frames of the animation, so be careful. When you latch on you can either press A and smack them for damage, or Up to send them downwards and leap ahead. Pressing up is more useful when off the stage, as it can spike them and you can recover easily with the provided spring jump + up B. Be aware if you smack them with A you can't use your up B, again, for the same retarded reason.

SideB+Smack does 15%, the SideB-SpringJump does 10%.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's more useful for recovery
    Oh. I've never tried that. All this time I thought Diddy's recovery was just average. D:
    If you don't press B, it becomes a "latch on" grab. It doesnt work in the early or late frames of the animation, so be careful.
    Maybe this is my problem. I almost never get it to work. I know about the kick thing, but I don't get much use out of that (probably because I suck). So you use it to edge guard spike?

forty on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can finally play again after two weeks of overtime.whoooo. Hope I didn't miss much.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh. I've never tried that. All this time I thought Diddy's recovery was just average. D:
    His recovery is really really good. I assume you know you can charge and steer his up+B, yes? If you get caught under the stage, sometimes you can side-B the direction of the ledge and then up+B and make it back. Most characters can't boast the same ability. If you get knocked far away, aerial+dodge and side+B immediately to get momentum back, and DI your way back to the stage. Often times you'll find this more than necessary for recovery, up+B is just gravy.
    If you don't press B, it becomes a "latch on" grab. It doesnt work in the early or late frames of the animation, so be careful.
    Maybe this is my problem. I almost never get it to work. I know about the kick thing, but I don't get much use out of that (probably because I suck). So you use it to edge guard spike?
    Yes, if you spring-jump them off the stage, often you spike them. And it's the coolest spike in the game. In addition to this, the provided spring-jump is a huge huge jump (talking Falco distances here), so with the addition of your up+B you are pretty much guaranteed to recover. The problem, as you may have guessed, is actually latching on to them in the first place while off the stage.

If you want to test distances, load up training and put a mario or whatever a couple character distances away from you and try Side+B'ing. See how far it grabs on and how close. I guarantee it won't work if you're right next to them, which is how most people expect the latch on to work.

EDIT: Also, so you know, while you are latched-onto them off stage you fall straight down and you can keep being latched on and fall down quite a bit before you activate the spike. It's sort of like a kirbicide in that they can break out of it earlier by spamming buttons, but I usually just wait a second or two and then jump before they have a chance.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    His recovery is really really good. I assume you know you can charge and steer his up+B, yes? If you get caught under the stage, sometimes you can side-B the direction of the ledge and then up+B and make it back. Most characters can't boast the same ability. If you get knocked far away, aerial+dodge and side+B immediately to get momentum back, and DI your way back to the stage. Often times you'll find this more than necessary for recovery, up+B is just gravy.
    Yes, if you spring-jump them off the stage, often you spike them. And it's the coolest spike in the game. In addition to this, the provided spring-jump is a huge huge jump (talking Falco distances here), so with the addition of your up+B you are pretty much guaranteed to recover. The problem, as you may have guessed, is actually latching on to them in the first place while off the stage.

If you want to test distances, load up training and put a mario or whatever a couple character distances away from you and try Side+B'ing. See how far it grabs on and how close. I guarantee it won't work if you're right next to them, which is how most people expect the latch on to work.

EDIT: Also, so you know, while you are latched-onto them off stage you fall straight down and you can keep being latched on and fall down quite a bit before you activate the spike. It's sort of like a kirbicide in that they can break out of it earlier by spamming buttons, but I usually just wait a second or two and then jump before they have a chance.
    Thanks for the info. Some of this I knew, some I did not. I knew you can charge his up+B and angle it, the problem is while charging it I lose altitude and often end up shooting at a 45 degree angle too far below the ledge or under the stage in something like Battlefield. Knowing that I can side+B will help, though.

forty on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Huh, I didn't know all that about Diddy's side B. Good stuff.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey hey new thread!

I still need to play through all-star. Is that sad?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Hey hey new thread!

I finally got all the trophies for that mode. They're shiny, but man did that get old.

Really, this game is cruel when it comes to trophies. Play Classic, All-Star, all five levels of Target Test, Home-Run Contest, 100-Man Melee and Boss Rush with every character!

But I'm determined to get all the trophies without using a single golden hammer. It took about four or five years to do so in Melee-- I'm sure I can improve that time.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    Hey hey new thread!

I finally got all the trophies for that mode. They're shiny, but man did that get old.

Really, this game is cruel when it comes to trophies. Play Classic, All-Star, all five levels of Target Test, Home-Run Contest, 100-Man Melee and Boss Rush with every character!

But I'm determined to get all the trophies without using a single golden hammer. It took about four or five years to do so in Melee-- I'm sure I can improve that time.
    I have 530 already. :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Hey hey new thread!

I'd have to count mine, but how many challenge goodies do you have left?

I have:
    - Get all stickers (ouch)
    - Get 600+ trophies (something like that)
    - Beat 100-Man Melee with every character (I'm whittling it down)
    - Various Boss Rush related ones (haven't really tackled it yet)

Also my little brother's helping me with some of these, such as Home-Run Contest, some All-Star and some Boss Rush. But I'm still doing a lot of it...

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    BoulderdashBoulderdash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm going to be away from my Wii until Wednesday night... I should really stop reading this thread.

Boulderdash on
    laziness.gif
  • Options
    StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok guys, this is important:

I need things to yell as I use Bowser's over-B to take people off the level with me.

So far I have:

REVENGE!
    WE SHALL BE BROTHERS! (<- super extra bonus points if you do this to end a stock game)
    DOOM UPON US BOTH!
    I AM REDEEMED AT LAST!

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hey hey new thread!

I'd have to count mine, but how many challenge goodies do you have left?

I have:
    - Get all stickers (ouch)
    - Get 600+ trophies (something like that)
    - Beat 100-Man Melee with every character (I'm whittling it down)
    - Various Boss Rush related ones (haven't really tackled it yet)

Also my little brother's helping me with some of these, such as Home-Run Contest, some All-Star and some Boss Rush. But I'm still doing a lot of it...
    Just Boss Battles on Very Hard, Intense, and the 10/20/all characters challenge. I need 9 more enemies from SSE.

I hammered 100-Man Brawl with All Characters, All-Star Intense, all stickers, and 50/100 hours of Brawl.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Stover wrote: »

I need things to yell as I use Bowser's over-B to take people off the level with me.

So far I have:

REVENGE!
    WE SHALL BE BROTHERS! (<- super extra bonus points if you do this to end a stock game)
    DOOM UPON US BOTH!
    I AM REDEEMED AT LAST!

"If I go down, I'm taking you with me!"

Andross, StarFox 64.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So the challenge "Collect trophies for all characters" - what does that mean? I assumed I'd unlock it once I cleared Classic and All-star with every character to get all their trophies, but that doesn't seem to be it. Does 'all characters' include the SSE characters/bosses as well?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

So far I have:

REVENGE!
    DOOM UPON US BOTH!
    I AM REDEEMED AT LAST!

Andross, StarFox 64.

This is the only option. :^:

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    So the challenge "Collect trophies for all characters" - what does that mean? I assumed I'd unlock it once I cleared Classic and All-star with every character to get all their trophies, but that doesn't seem to be it. Does 'all characters' include the SSE characters/bosses as well?

Make sure you beat things as Sheik AND Zelda, ZSS AND Samus, and Squirtle AND Ivysaur AND Charizard.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Classic, I think. You also need to get Sheik's, Zero Suit Samus', and the three Pokemon (by finishing off Master Hand with each).

Edit: Sheik and ZSS have unique all-star trophies, but Pokemon Trainer has just the one.

Elendil on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Samus, Zamus, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Shiek, Zelda All count as different character trophies

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

So far I have:

REVENGE!
    DOOM UPON US BOTH!
    I AM REDEEMED AT LAST!

Andross, StarFox 64.

This is the only option. :^:

Hopefully I can say it fast enough.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ohh, all three pokemon. Damnation. I don't remember who I beat it with initially.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ohh, all three pokemon. Damnation. I don't remember who I beat it with initially.
    Just check the trophy list. Whatever one you don't have, there you go.

Elendil on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    west coast?

0344 9073 2022

xta on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Good rounds mush. :D Glad I've improved somewhat. *Really* liked that Sonic v Snake round. Heh.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    Good rounds mush. :D Glad I've improved somewhat. *Really* liked that Sonic v Snake round. Heh.

I'm trying to improve with Sonic. Meta Knight is, of course, a bitch to fight with him. It basically boils down to "runawayrunawayrunaway jump over him trampoline runawayrunawayrunaway ooh he just did a laggy move go hit him runawayarunawayrunaway."

Shadow Moses is also a place where Sonic was never meant to venture. His only vertical kill move is his utilt, which is way to laggy to get out against Meta Knight.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was wondering what the interest in Friday Night Friend Smashes would be, as in a 2v2 tournament. I figured we have the casual-ish tournament saturdays, competitive asshattery sundays, why not round the weekend off with friday night teams? I'd probably rotate it weekly between the hardcore/competitive item/stage sets to keep it interesting.

So, would you guys be up for weekly teams?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I was wondering what the interest in Friday Night Friend Smashes would be, as in a 2v2 tournament. I figured we have the casual-ish tournament saturdays, competitive asshattery sundays, why not round the weekend off with friday night teams? I'd probably rotate it weekly between the hardcore/competitive item/stage sets to keep it interesting.

I'd be up for it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ChaosHat wrote: »

A thousand times yes. I've said it before, but I love 2v2s and hope I get experience with them, they're the most fun to me for some reason

Team attack on please thanks!

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm trying to improve with Sonic. Meta Knight is, of course, a bitch to fight with him. It basically boils down to "runawayrunawayrunaway jump over him trampoline runawayrunawayrunaway ooh he just did a laggy move go hit him runawayarunawayrunaway."

Shadow Moses is also a place where Sonic was never meant to venture. His only vertical kill move is his utilt, which is way to laggy to get out against Meta Knight.

I'm just glad I could beat you *somehow*. ><

I need to stop suiciding with snake so much. I try to use snake's UpSpec but my FAir delays it too long for it to save me.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I need to stop suiciding with snake so much. I try to use snake's UpSpec but my FAir delays it too long for it to save me.

If your upspecial isn't enough to save you, blow yourself up with C4 to get your recovery back (also it hits you straight up)

It takes some time to master, but every Snake player should learn how to do it. Be careful not to slam the control stick down, as you will fastfall and ruin yourself.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    that's my other problem. I can't do tilts. It's like the no-smash zone of my GC controllers are about 20% of the way up and the rest is smash zone, as well as fastfall.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    After tonight's tournament, I'm not really sure that competitive gameplay can afford to turn all items off anymore. Camping is a lot more effective in Brawl than it was in Melee, and items could do a lot to combat that. Next week, we're using a restricted item list for Sunday Night Smash, and I'm pretty sure that'll make camping a lot less attractive of a strategy.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    that's my other problem. I can't do tilts. It's like the no-smash zone of my GC controllers are about 20% of the way up and the rest is smash zone, as well as fastfall.

Yeah, that would limit your playstyle as Snake. I think all of his tilts are pretty great, but especially the forward tilt. His up and down tilts are normal as opposed to his smashes, so they're probably pretty essential for CQC as well.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Use the C-stick for aerials instead then.

When on the ground, the timing for tilts is a bit different then smashes. You hit the stick THEN hit the button, instead of doing both at once. If you're doing it right you should hear two distinct clicks instead of one.

The tilt I have a hard time doing still is the over tilt. I inevitably either oversmash, don't hit the stick hard enough and just use my neutral, or end up dash attacking.

You might also want to consider mapping tilts to the stick, but be aware that for some reason this can sometimes make you jump.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know how people could stand to camp.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know how people could stand to camp.

I think you're a little weird if you do it in a casual setting. But when you're in a tournament and there's e-peen on the line, I can understand it.

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.