Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

1356763

Posts

  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith, they're talking about the movie

    Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Keith, they're talking about the movie

    which was based off a book

    that was written in the early 80s

    i mean, yeah, it's relevant to the Bush committee

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    You're a fucking idiot.

    illustrationillustratieih0.jpg

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can see why people hated V for Vendetta.

    I mean, trying to make something relevant to the audience?
    What the fuck, guys!?

    (But for once I agree with Keith.)

    The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the issue was more Bush being related to tyranny then the tyrant being related to Bush. I mean, if you want to blame anyone, blame Bush for being such a fascist douche...

    I've said it before... just because V is a metaphor for the Thatcher administration doesn't mean that it can't be applied in a number of other places. See, it turns out that fascism is not that much different no matter where or when you are.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    I think the issue was more Bush being related to tyranny then the tyrant being related to Bush. I mean, if you want to blame anyone, blame Bush for being such a fascist douche...

    I've said it before... just because V is a metaphor for the Thatcher administration doesn't mean that it can't be applied in a number of other places. See, it turns out that fascism is not that much different no matter where or when you are.
    I honestly wonder why Moore has such a problem with this, especially when Bush is just s horrible in his own way as Thatcher was.

    Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You're a fucking idiot.
    hahaha

    hahahahahhahahahaa

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    I think the issue was more Bush being related to tyranny then the tyrant being related to Bush. I mean, if you want to blame anyone, blame Bush for being such a fascist douche...

    I've said it before... just because V is a metaphor for the Thatcher administration doesn't mean that it can't be applied in a number of other places. See, it turns out that fascism is not that much different no matter where or when you are.
    I honestly wonder why Moore has such a problem with this, especially when Bush is just s horrible in his own way as Thatcher was.

    I doubt that that was the part Moore didn't like, though it would be nice if the Wachowski brothers bothered to point out that a lot of people actually like Bush, and perhaps have good reason to considering their priorities (priorities I don't share, incidentally).

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »

    So whom do we write to, then?

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess Warner Bros. I was using "call to arms" more as a way to say people should get pissed off about this.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If this was true, I'd be pissed too, but we have no evidence of that. Nolan's been clear that Ledger's passing won't change anything, and from WB's standpoint, it means publicity. Why would they cut it?

    Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    If this was true, I'd be pissed too, but we have no evidence of that. Nolan's been clear that Ledger's passing won't change anything, and from WB's standpoint, it means publicity. Why would they cut it?

    Because they see Batman as being primarily a children's film?

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How so?

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    How so?

    Because kids have a greater interest in shitty merchandise than adults, and convincing a kid to see a movie means two or more tickets sold instead of just one.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    If this was true, I'd be pissed too, but we have no evidence of that. Nolan's been clear that Ledger's passing won't change anything, and from WB's standpoint, it means publicity. Why would they cut it?

    Because they see Batman as being primarily a children's film?
    You're right, I was pretty much only thinking of what they'd change with regards to the Heath thing, I know there's been concern over content as well. Let's hope Nolan's tastefulness will let them get away with
    murder.
    Anyway, the scene described doesn't strike me as grisly enough to warrant an R on its own. Some early interviews suggested they'd "push" things a bit, but in the past few months there's been no mention on rating. I think if it were risking an R, we'd know- again, for publicity's sake.

    PG-13, calling it now.

    Torso Boy on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Keith, they're talking about the movie

    which was based off a book

    that was written in the early 80s

    i mean, yeah, it's relevant to the Bush committee

    Based off? The only similarities were that they had the same title and character names.

    Oh, and V blew up Parliament.

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If they do cut anything, I hope they at least release a Director's Cut.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Keith, they're talking about the movie

    which was based off a book

    that was written in the early 80s

    i mean, yeah, it's relevant to the Bush committee

    Based off? The only similarities were that they had the same title and character names.

    Oh, and V blew up Parliament.

    yeah, and Keith is the "fucking idiot"

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Keith, they're talking about the movie

    which was based off a book

    that was written in the early 80s

    i mean, yeah, it's relevant to the Bush committee

    Based off? The only similarities were that they had the same title and character names.

    Oh, and V blew up Parliament.
    You have a point but you're sabotaging it with dismissive and fallacious shit.

    V was written about authoritarianism, in response to the Thatcher administration. It's about rebellion, and is more or less relevant to just about any situation involving systemic oppression. Sounds a lot like Star Wars, which I don't hear being mentioned in conjunction with Bush very often.

    Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    V was written about authoritarianism, in response to the Thatcher administration. It's about rebellion, and is more or less relevant to just about any situation involving systemic oppression. Sounds a lot like Star Wars, which I don't hear being mentioned in conjunction with Bush very often.
    you don't? because dick cheney has been referred to as 'darth vader' for at least a couple years now. hell, he's called himself that.

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It seems like we have the V for Vendetta argument every few days.

    So who is excited about Hellboy? It's got guns! Slime things! An elf guy!

    Mr Pink on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hellboy's clothes were fireproof in the first one. That bugged me.

    Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll give it a shot. I enjoyed the first Hellboy enough to give the sequel a go, although I felt like it could have benefited from a brutal editing.

    I definitely like the concept of Hellboy, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the books too if they ever start releasing those promised hardcover collections.

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I definitely like the concept of Hellboy, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the books too if they ever start releasing those promised hardcover collections.

    i believe you mean this attractive little number. they start coming out in three weeks.

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    my old boss lent me all the hellboy stuff for like half a year

    i never got around to reading it

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »
    I definitely like the concept of Hellboy, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the books too if they ever start releasing those promised hardcover collections.

    i believe you mean this attractive little number. they start coming out in three weeks.

    I do indeed, and have it on pre-order.
    Keith wrote: »
    my old boss lent me all the hellboy stuff for like half a year

    i never got around to reading it

    Die in a fire.

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    my old boss lent me all the hellboy stuff for like half a year

    i never got around to reading it

    Die in a fire.

    You don't happen to post in G&T, do you?

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nope, I'm on a GV exclusive contract

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    man why would you post in GV are you some kind of loser

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Clearly!

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those hellboy animated movies kind of blew, but I liked the live action and just picked up the "Fuck Me! Awesome!" edition a couple days ago. I'll definitely go see the sequel.

    As for V, wasn't the movie's pre-release marketing pretty blatant about it being aimed at bush? Plus, it was essentially a Wachowski project, and those guys don't seem like they'd be super subtle about matters like this one.


    And now the reason I came to this thread: The Speed Racer toys are everywhere (did you know that the Mach 4 and Mach 6 are featured in this film? That kind of upsets my nerdism; if anything they should've started with 3 so the classic 5 could've been the most bad-ass), but I can only find a couple iron man and spectacular spider-man figures lurking about.

    Also, I really want some more info on what the Wii version of the Iron Man game is like, because I might not have a 360 or PS3 until June, and will probably cave and buy it at release if it's only moderately-shity and still under a Sega-owned team.

    And the fact that Hulkbuster Iron Man is in the concept art for the Hulk movie game makes me want to see the new Hulk and buy the game for it, so good job on that one Marvel.

    HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty much looking forward to all the new comic book movies coming out

    Mainly Iron Man and Dark Knight

    Cause Iron Man is my all time favourite superhero (Rich playboy Alchoholic who fights evil in a metal suit capable of pretty much anything... i like)

    And Dark Knight just looks really gritty and quite good

    Although i'll probably go see Speed Racer... i dont know, it doesn't settle well with me

    And Hellboy II is going to kick major amounts of ass!!!

    TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's speed racer. What's the point?
    Virral wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    my old boss lent me all the hellboy stuff for like half a year

    i never got around to reading it

    Die in a fire.

    That's my catchphrase (stolen from motorfirebox, since he wasn't on GV before recently. HAHAHAHAHA!!!).

    Anyway, just responding to Torso Boy: I will never elevate my tone of discourse about V because there is nothing on Earth that will change my mind about it, let alone convince me to treat it seriously. So that is what it is. And while it drags down the haughty level of rigorous debate around here, I think GV will survive.

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just listened to an interview on the radio with John Favreau. Generally it was pretty crap, but did glean one interesting piece of info which I certainly haven't heard before.
    A reference was made to a second suit appearing in the film, suggesting that Warmachine will appear when/if they make a sequel. I'm assuming they aren't talking about mk1, mk2 and mk3 here.

    Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Just listened to an interview on the radio with John Favreau. Generally it was pretty crap, but did glean one interesting piece of info which I certainly haven't heard before.
    A reference was made to a second suit appearing in the film, suggesting that Warmachine will appear when/if they make a sequel. I'm assuming they aren't talking about mk1, mk2 and mk3 here.

    Well we know that in the movie Stark refers to Rhodes as such '...a war machine!' due to all his answers to potential problems being violent and militant

    DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Wait a tick... so the Punisher is Titus Pullo? And Jigsaw is Jimmy McNulty? Too bad Big Pussy isn't Microchip and Samson isn't... umm. I don't know - is there a midget Punisher villain?

    actually yeah, frank and wolverine teamed up to take down a gang of midget mobsters that were sawing off all of the regular-sized mobster's legs.

    and when i say 'teamed up' i mean 'frank shot wolverine in the balls then parked a steamroller on top of him'
    Wrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

    ben0207 on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Just listened to an interview on the radio with John Favreau. Generally it was pretty crap, but did glean one interesting piece of info which I certainly haven't heard before.
    A reference was made to a second suit appearing in the film, suggesting that Warmachine will appear when/if they make a sequel. I'm assuming they aren't talking about mk1, mk2 and mk3 here.

    Yeah. Terence Howard did an interview with CBR a few weeks ago where he said that he took the role mainly due to the potential/opportunity/promise/whatever of suiting up as War Machine in the sequel(s).

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Just listened to an interview on the radio with John Favreau. Generally it was pretty crap, but did glean one interesting piece of info which I certainly haven't heard before.
    A reference was made to a second suit appearing in the film, suggesting that Warmachine will appear when/if they make a sequel. I'm assuming they aren't talking about mk1, mk2 and mk3 here.

    Yeah. Terence Howard did an interview with CBR a few weeks ago where he said that he took the role mainly due to the potential/opportunity/promise/whatever of suiting up as War Machine in the sequel(s).
    Following in the footsteps of Billy Dee

    Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Awesome. I eagerly await the sequels then. One thing that came across from that interview was that Favreau wasn't entirely confidant about the possibility. The interviewer made some comment about looking forward to the sequels, and Favreau, replied along the lines of "If we get to do sequels, we need to make a hell of a lot of money for that to happen". Although he has previously said that he wants to make a trilogy, yes?

    Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.