Options

[Let's not Play]You're doing it wrong, G&T.

The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin PiesThe California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm disappointed, G&T. Your Let's Play content is severely lacking. I'm feeling generous though, so I'm going to give you some pointers.

*snipped*
I had a bunch of stuff written up here, but then I got linked to this which basically covers everything.
*snipped*

Strive to make something like this. This is probably the pinnacle of what a serious LP should be. It's informative, well put together, and not painful to listen to. The creator actually put a bit of effort into it, recorded the dialog separately, and actually did a bit of editing. The result is an extremely good LP.

tl;dr: Put a little effort into it, be entertaining, learn to record audio that doesn't suck, and if your voice is painful to others just subtitle the damn thing.

The Deliverator on

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    While I can agree some LPers need some work, at least nothing here is Youtube awful. Seriously, go type "let's play" in the Youtube and watch some of the most horrid videos to dare call themselves LPs. This is barring the SA LPs however since that's mostly there for mirror purposes.

Also, LPs have different gimmicks. Some aren't for everyone.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also tone down repeating the same line over and over when you can't make it past part of the game smoothly. Or quoting movie lines and internet memes, because they probably aren't funny in context with the game.

Remember, what you're doing isn't live. You can edit it as much as you want to boost entertainment value.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Really what I think is the biggest problem with the current crop of LPs here is the totally horrific audio. Either the levels are mucked up so that you can't hear the game and the commentary both comfortably, or the quality is complete fuzzy garbage. Fix that and I think it'd go a long way towards improving things. Remember, you don't have to record the commentary as you play. It's more than acceptable to dub it over later.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The problem about dubbing it in is that you're going to need to be witty enough to come with some original content. Otherwise, you're better off with the live commentary but please spare my ears. D:

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    The problem about dubbing it in is that you're going to need to be witty enough to come with some original content. Otherwise, you're better off with the live commentary but please spare my ears. D:

If you can't come up with the wit afterwards, you sure as hell aren't going to come up with it on the spot.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If you can't come up with the wit afterwards, you sure as hell aren't going to come up with it on the spot.

I don't think you understand. Dubbing in some word by word account after the live recording will be more boring than going with what was there to begin with. Post commentary usually isn't that. In fact, almost all post commentary I've heard doesn't mention the game much and tries something original to change up the LP format.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I don't think you understand. Dubbing in some word by word account after the live recording will be more boring than going with what was there to begin with. Post commentary usually isn't that. In fact, almost all post commentary I've heard doesn't mention the game much and tries something original to change up the LP format.

I agree with Shady here. I always get chuckles from people panicking on the spot when things aren't going their way. Post commentary is really hard to do well and most games don't have enough interesting content to do that for every video.

I'd much rather hear "Oh my god, these things are KILLING me arrrrg!" than "I had a little trouble getting the red key here."

Also opinions are like assholes, you can't please everyone, etc.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Strive to make something like this. This is probably the pinnacle of what a serious LP should be. It's informative, well put together, and not painful to listen to. The creator actually put a bit of effort into it, recorded the dialog separately, and actually did a bit of editing. The result is an extremely good LP.

It's technically well done, but I feel like I just watched PBS: Trespasser. Maxwell Adams' videos (Oblivion and Resident Evil 4 being the two latest) are the epitome of the VLP for me. Multiple commentators means there's always something funny being said.

Written LPs can be really awesome, though, and I wish most people would stick with them instead.

Fats on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

I agree with Shady here. I always get chuckles from people panicking on the spot when things aren't going their way. Post commentary is really hard to do well and most games don't have enough interesting content to do that for every video.

I'd much rather hear "Oh my god, these things are KILLING me arrrrg!" than "I had a little trouble getting the red key here."

Also opinions are like assholes, you can't please everyone, etc.

"I had a little trouble getting the red key here" shouldn't even be an option. The Trespasser link that the OP posted is a good example of post commentary done right. It would be unfair for people to expect even a fraction of the loveliness of his voice, but at least the LPer won't say stupid and/or annoying things by accident, which happens by accident a lot. Most peoples brains just aren't built for entertaining improv.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My favorite LPs are ones that aren't on video actually, such as the Fallout: Tactics LP, the Jurassic Park: Genesis LP, and the Bloodlines LP.

I just like the way you guys write, it's funny.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Boatmurdered

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hitman: blood money

that lp was epic

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I still wonder if a "lets play PAX edition" might be in order this august. I would probably need a better cam for that.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fats wrote: »

It's technically well done, but I feel like I just watched PBS: Trespasser. Maxwell Adams' videos (Oblivion and Resident Evil 4 being the two latest) are the epitome of the VLP for me. Multiple commentators means there's always something funny being said.

Written LPs can be really awesome, though, and I wish most people would stick with them instead.

I don't disagree with you, but not every LP has to be a jokefest. And you're right, the joking around LPs are by far better with multiple commentators. I've yet to really see an LP here on PA that's trying to be funny, Podcasters excepted. Everyone goes and plays the game straight, making mundane commentary. Entertain me dammit; be it with interesting trivia, genuine humor, or outright skill.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    My favorite LPs are ones that aren't on video actually, such as the Fallout: Tactics LP, the Jurassic Park: Genesis LP, and the Bloodlines LP.

:D
    I don't disagree with you, but not every LP has to be a jokefest. And you're right, the joking around LPs are by far better with multiple commentators. I've yet to really see an LP here on PA that's trying to be funny, Podcasters excepted. Everyone goes and plays the game straight, making mundane commentary. Entertain me dammit; be it with interesting trivia, genuine humor, or outright skill.

:(

And just to contribute to the thread, I generally dont like Video LP's. That being said... I tried to start a Condemned LP Lastnight, and its really fucking hard to screenshot something that makes sense, or screenshot in combat, so I understand why they are made.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is mainly directed to the OP: it's really not fair to compare the LP's here to the Trespasser LP. Doesn't the guy who's doing the Trespasser LP do editing for a living? Comparing his LP to the LP's here is like comparing the Olympics to the Special Olympics; it's just not fair.
    Something a little more on the level would be Deceased Crab's La Mulana LP, a pretty solid LP, moreso now since he's redoing it and trimming it to cut out a lot of the wandering he did last time. I think that's what most LP's should be closer to be like: it's funny, it's help people with the game, and the guy at least has a general idea of where he's going.

Seriously, that Trespasser LP is barely off the ground and it's already above and beyond the call of duty in terms of LPs.

Estoc on
  • Options
    HashyHashy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bjSoyXlw0

This guy legitimately has autism. What's the video in the OP's excuse?

Let's plays are the worst of all the aspergeriffic asshattery on the internet that makes me ashamed to be associated with "gamer" culture. Just stop alltogether.

Hashy on
    :winky:
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hashy wrote: »
    Let's plays are the worst of all the aspergeriffic asshattery on the internet that makes me ashamed to be associated with "gamer" culture. Just stop alltogether.

Nah, it's like watching one of your friends play a game when you're at their house. It's not your game, but it's fun to watch. Especially if you suck at the game and never got through it yourself.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pink Panther goes to Hollywood

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have to be honest, the prevailing hope among (at least several of) the G&T mods has been that our LP threads would just dry up and go away.

They're not particularly good, or entertaining. The only time I ever catch myself reading one is when it's a thread for a game I remember fondly from years ago... but for the purposes of discussing a well-loved game, I'd be better served by a straight discussion thread.

I keep approving them, hoping that at some point somebody will knock one out of the park. But if there's been a truly noteworthy LP thread posted here int he last six months, I must have missed it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I only want commentary if there are at least three people involved and they are silhouetted at the bottom of the screen.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just get tired of listening to someone ramble on about things that I don't care about for hours on end. For a lot of LPs, playing the actual game seems like an afterthought.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck. I guess I'll have to cancel my Let's Play of "You Have to Burn the Rope".

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I sort of feel that Let's Plays should get their own subforum so they can be ignored more easily.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The best LPs usually grab the narrative and haul it somewhere else, not just comment on little quirks of the game.

This one by Chewbot is one of the best ones I've ever seen. Takes a game, adds something new and interesting and goes from there.

There are several other noteworthy ones out there, and a few good video LPs but the best seem to be screenshotted as it lets the writer tell a story, which is the recipe for success. A good video LP, since a game takes a while to go through, tells you some really really in depth stuff which may or may not appeal to everyone. TSR LPing a Sonic game is the kind of thing I'm thinking about.

Edit: That and the stuff by Jerusalem, like his current San Andreas LP that adds so much story to the game that it's not even funny. I'm not going to just sitewhore other people's stuff so go find it yourself. Still, stuff like that is what we need to see here or else let LP get the boot I think.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    God, what a whining prick. If you don't like Let's Plays (personally I rate them right up there with being stabbed and spat on by ugly AIDs victims in unattractive hats) don't watch them. That's how I handle it, and it works just great. If you like the ones at somethingawful better, go watch them. Personally I think the entire Let's Play concept and process is so horrifically shameful that the fact that ours are apparently not that good is close to a source of pride.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This one by Chewbot is one of the best ones I've ever seen. Takes a game, adds something new and interesting and goes from there.

I can't help but notice that this LP wasn't posted in G&T.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

that lp was epic

This man is a scholar and a gentleman.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    God, what a whining prick. If you don't like Let's Plays (personally I rate them right up there with being stabbed and spat on by ugly AIDs victims in unattractive hats) don't watch them. That's how I handle it, and it works just great. If you like the ones at somethingawful better, go watch them. Personally I think the entire Let's Play concept and process is so horrifically shameful that the fact that ours are apparently not that good is close to a source of pride.

Aw, c'mon Tube. We thought ignoring them would make them go away, and it didn't. Can't we try gentle admonishment for even a minute?

Captain K on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand the *point* of the video LPs. Seriously, I've tried to watch a couple, but they're just... guh. I'm perfectly capable of wandering around a game all by myself, I don't need to watch someone else doing it in real-time. Video, in my opinion, should only be used if the OP is doing something I can't do. Maybe someone's really good at a platform game like Sonic - never misses a jump, gets all the secrets, etc. I'd watch that just for the pleasure of seeing the game played right. Or a speedrun, like Quake Done Quick - as a sub-20 minute blitz, it's beautiful to watch. But can you imagine sitting through a conventional Let's Play of Quake single-player? Even the first episode would be two hours long and it would bore its audience to tears, no matter how much witty commentary was added during or after the fact.

That said, some of the screenshots-and-text LPs have been just great. I know Boatmurdered was an SA thing, but that shit was fucking *epic*. The Vampire: The Masquerade LP was amazing, too. The latter had just the right blend of expose and commentary - I had never played the game before, but I could follow right along with what was happening, and some of the OP's text was frankly hilarious. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. LP was another really good one. Again, no hours of video to sit through, just carefully-chosen images, good descriptions, and some really good insight into some of the tricks and secrets of the game.

I've heard people say that they "need" to do a video LP because they just can't fit everything in if they just use screenshots. If that's the case... maybe you're just doing it wrong? A Let's Play thread shouldn't be "hay guys let's vicariously experience every minute of this game, complete with bumbling commentary! Oh shit, I missed that jump again, lol!" It should be a well-edited, concise, entertaining summary of the game experience, not a second-by-second account.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

I can't help but notice that this LP wasn't posted in G&T.

My point is that kind of quality is what we need here or no LPs at all. It's a positive example I suppose. Otherwise I agree with you as far as the "maybe it'll go away" wholeheartedly. I apologize for not saying that up front, I suppose I was a bit unclear.

(No offense to any LPer, I know it takes a lot of effort, but like other creative works sometimes either you have it or you don't.)

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Perhaps I don't know what a good Let's Play should be, but I thought the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. LP was thoroughly entertaining, insightful at times, and certainly a thread worthy of the form that's been posted in the last six months.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    K the STALKER LP was good
    As was Blood Money for insight on the game
    As was Bloodlines

So ignore them like Tube. We also tend not to have multiple writers working on a single project.

And we should.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought the Jurassic Park LP and Gilder's Mario All-Stars LP were great. I tend to ignore them too, but those two kept me entertained thoroughly.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

that lp was epic

This man is a scholar and a gentleman.

ginger you don't need to attend this meeting, you know how a funny, entertaining, informative LP should go

you are free to go

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ginger your accent helped a lot.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Judicious use of the fast-forward button would make most LPs a hell of a lot better.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To be fair, STALKER is in my opinion one of the most photographic games ever made. I know that sounds wierd, but I had a whole playthrough, where I just went around and took pictures. I mean, I killed dudes too, but only to get to the places that let me take pictures.

There are some incredible areas you never even have to go to

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ginger your accent helped a lot.

he was also fast and sharp with his humour

he was very conscious of his audience whilst he waited

he didn't make inane, awkward, embarrassing conversation when there was nothing to say

yes, it was all in the accent you are right

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No you fuck.

I never he didn't do any of those things you said.

So cram it up your ass.

Zen Vulgarity on
This discussion has been closed.