As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IIT we talk about how awesome Sandman is

PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
Sandman is awesome and if you disagree then fuck you.

Sandman is awesome because
  • Fucking Desire
  • Delirium
  • Death
  • Matthew the Raven
  • Destruction
  • Hob Gadling
  • Cain
  • Merv
  • The Mother Fucking Corinthian
  • Seasons of fucking Mist

Sandman loses awesome points because
  • A Game for You (seriously Neil Gaiman we get it, you want to make a Narnia-style story
  • The illustrators for The Kindley Ones (hey guys, lets take this totally awesome climatic story, and then make it seem like an autistic drew it)

I just finished the Wake and Endless Nights and am totally bummed that its over.

1330my4.jpg
Predator on

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also Fiddler's Green

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Desire made me half-gay, which is what most would call a decent start.

Robos A Go Go on
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey guys I'm Loki I've killed two fucking Endless

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this reminded me of how much i loved the Lucifer books.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Once I was sad, then Delirium did some stuff to me... now I'll smile forever

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck you, Hippolyta Hall you goddamn whiny bitch.

Fuck. you.

Also, Barnabus = best dog.

KalTorak on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Once I was sad, then Delirium did some stuff to me... now I'll smile forever

This post was...delightful.

Oh, and to contribute more, buy the Absolutes. Greatest things EVAR. The recolouring in the first volume is fantabulous or some other made up word since none known can express how much better it is.

KVW on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Have you read Books of Magic? It's a Neil Gaiman graphic novel about the magical side of the DC Universe and a few of your "awesome reasons" show up in it. We even see the fate of a few.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sandman was good but I liked Lucifer more.

Scooter on
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sandman is probably the best thing Gaiman has yet to do. And I like me some Gaiman.

The Cow on
    edited April 2008
    What other books tie in to Sandman? I know there's the Starro bit in JLA, there's the Hall family in JSA, and Dream's cameo in Green Arrow. What else?

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
    edited April 2008
    I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of the first two Absolute Sandman books, and I've got the third on pre-order. I really like Lucifer in Sandman, and I really like Mike Carey. This leads me to believe that I might enjoy Lucifer (woo logic!)

I'll hold out for Absolute Lucifer though, so it matches my Absolute Sandman :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pretty awesome.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Matthew is sad

sadfacematthewoo3.jpg

Because he has no pennies.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Plus he has a tiny bird penis.

august on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah i've read Sandman and Lucifer (maybe I didn't finish it?)

Where do I go now? Nothing can really compete. It sucks.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    Hellboy.

Altough it's lees edgy and more beautifully simple.

august on
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »
    Hellboy.

Altough it's lees edgy and more beautifully simple.

It really competes with Sandman? I've only seen the Hellboy movie so my judgment may be a bit skewed.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    It's what I said it is.

Your millage may vary I guess.

Also the writing in the first volume is a little weak because it's John Byrne on script.

august on
    edited April 2008
    I'll give it a shot. Any TPBs or arcs I should look for in particular or is this something that should be taken from the beginning?

Also holy shit Delerium was awesome in that insane awesome way.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    Just start with the main Hellboy book, there's only seven trades of it and they're numbered now. So Seed of Destruction is first. Then there's BPRD and some other spin-off stuff if that hooks you.

august on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah i've read Sandman and Lucifer (maybe I didn't finish it?)

Where do I go now? Nothing can really compete. It sucks.

Lucifer has a couple minis (or is it just one) before it started. Most miss those. You didn't mention the various Death minis or if you had the Endless Nights graphic novel (I loved the beginning of the universe meeting of the stars and other cosmic entities story). I think there's a couple other random minis or oneshots for characters, like Marv, etc, for Sandman as well.

Anyone that liked Sandman will love Carey's Lucifer. So, if you were holding off or wondering, it's worth it. I doubt it'll ever get Absolute treatment either, considering it didnt even get hardcovers.

KVW on
    edited April 2008
    But... did Sandman get hardcovers?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I read the first trade and liked it. The story kind of dragged though. Does it get better?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008
    Sandman or Lucifer?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I've seen various prints of Sandman in both hard and soft covers.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2008
    Fair enough, I had only come across softcovers. Well fingers crossed Absolute Sandman is considered enough of a success that they decide to give Lucifer the same treatment. There was mention of Absolute Death at some stage too...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited April 2008
    HEY!

1075825171_corinthian.jpg

FUCK YOU

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
    edited April 2008
    While I haven't read Hellboy either, I've been holding off the last six months or so for the release of this bad boy:

hellboy1.jpg

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
    edited April 2008
    God tell me about it, will it ever see the light of day?? Fingers crossed for the end of April!

Same thing with Rising Stars, I was all set for that omnibus collection and then it's pushed back an entire year D:

Edit: And Powers! FUCK YOU Powers HC 2 for making me wait this long for another hit of Powers goodness!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What other books tie in to Sandman? I know there's the Starro bit in JLA, there's the Hall family in JSA, and Dream's cameo in Green Arrow. What else?

Kyle

Daniel was in a cut scene from Infinite Crisis. Dream met up with Weasly Dodds in Mystery Science Theater. Lobo hit on death. Destiny was in the new Brave and the Bold.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2008
    Seriously, how hard is it to put out a Powers collection? The material for I don't know how many hardcovers is already completed. I couldn't really care less about any extras Bendis wants to throw in at this point, I'd just like to read the damn thing.

And regarding Rising Stars, are you talking about a new collection or the one from a few years back?

Kyle

EDIT

Haha, I take it you mean Sandman Mystery Theatre?

KyleWPeterson on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Little Endless Storybook is the best Sandman tie-in ever.

storybook.jpg

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited April 2008
    And regarding Rising Stars, are you talking about a new collection or the one from a few years back?

I mean this compendium, it appears to be a new updated release of the now OOP hardcover collection

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Poor Rising Stars. Such a horrible ending.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked the artwork in the Kindly Ones arc. I also found the funeral to be dreadfully boring.

I still love the books, though. Aside from Lucifer, which I have ordered, what side stories should I read?

Keidrych on
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keidrych wrote: »
    I liked the artwork in the Kindly Ones arc. I also found the funeral to be dreadfully boring.

I still love the books, though. Aside from Lucifer, which I have ordered, what side stories should I read?
    As mentioned before, Books of Magic(the original Gaiman mini, and the ongoing. Although, the problem with the ongoing is issues 51-75 have not been put into trades yet. Avoid Names of Magic, Hunter:Age of Magic, and Books of Magick:Life During Wartime, as it seems that the main mandate of those series is to distance Tim from Harry Potter as much as possible, rather than being simular to how he was before).

There's also the Sandman Presents mini-series, the best of which(IMO) are the two that focus on Thessely. I think both are in TPB form. And the Merv Pumpkinhead one-shot was a blast too. All were written by Bill "Fables" Willingham(on a related note, if you're not reading Fables yet, you should be).

Interpreter on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2008

Lots of stuff. Matthew the Raven was originally Matthew Cable, a supporting character in Swamp Thing who sold his soul and died during Alan Moore's run on that book, a run that also introduced John Constantine (Hellblazer), who also appears in Sandman (as do other members of the Constantine family). The Golden Age Sandman, Wesley Dodds (star of Sandman Mystery Theatre), is revealed to derive his precognitive powers from Morpheus. All of these except the last are available in trade and come really highly recommended.

Jack Kirby's really weird 1970s Sandman, superhero of the dreamworld, is both the direct inspiration for Gaiman's book and figures heavily into it. I don't know if that's available anywhere, nor do I know if it's any good. Cain and Abel were the hosts of DC's House of Secrets and House of Mystery horror comics from the 60s, although again I'm not sure if those are available anywhere. The first Gaiman Sandman story, "Preludes and Nocturnes", is totally tied into the larger DC universe with guest appearances by the Martian Manhunter, Mr. Miracle, and Doctor Destiny.

Then there are a bunch of sequel/spinoff works to Sandman - Lucifer, The Books of Magic, The Dreaming, The Children's Crusade and a bunch of others, mostly specials focused on Death and Destiny and so forth. Lucifer and TBoM are only peripherally connected to Sandman, and are generally quite good, whereas The Dreaming features most of the Sandman's supporting cast but felt like really limp emogoth fanfic. I haven't read a lot of the rest, but I'm distrustful of the Endless written by anyone but Gaiman or Grant Morrison.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Predator wrote: »

Sandman is awesome because
    • Hob Gadling

Hob is basically my favorite Sandman character, and might be my most favorite character in comic books in general.

His is the only portrayal of a human-made-immortal I've ever seen that actually feels like the portrayal of a real human being to me (instead of going the "Immortality is a curse oh woe is me I would do anything for the sweet release of death why do all my loved ones keep dying :cry:" route that all other immortals - other than Duncan MacLeod, maybe - go).
    Sandman loses awesome points because
    • A Game for You (seriously Neil Gaiman we get it, you want to make a Narnia-style story

Man, I like "A Game of You" a whole lot. It didn't matter that it was a Narnia-style story, I still nearly cried when some of the characters died. Because, you know, I grew attached to them. That seems like a fine story to me.

I roped a friend of mine (who's not into comics) into reading Sandman by making him read "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" and "Three Septembers and a January" (the latter is probably my favorite issue).

Delduwath on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've seen various prints of Sandman in both hard and soft covers.

I've got The Kindly Ones and Season of Mists in hardcover. I got them from the Science Fiction Book Club back in the 90's.

My copy of Season of Mists is put inside the cover upside-down and backwards. Even so, it is one of the most handsomely-bound hardcovers I've seen.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!