As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primaries: Democralypse Now!

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Woo whoo! I got my Obama Jacket. The sleeves are a little short, but overall it fits great.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I put up with large amounts of stupid every day. After all, I'm a Farker. So let me take a dive:
    –Are you SICK of the fawning media over-promoting Sen. Obama, while being hyper-critical of Sen. Clinton?
    So hyper-critical that they allowed her to remain in the race after an 11-state losing streak.
    –Are you TIRED of watching many in the media give Sen. Obama days of free television, radio and print coverage for his endorsements, activities and speeches and putting on more pro-Obama surrogates/anchors than they do for Sen. Clinton while regularly ignoring Sen. Clinton’s endorsements, activities and/or speeches?
    Simply covering things that are actually happening. The media can't help it if Hillary's gone down in supers since Super Tuesday.
    –Are you SICK of supposed liberal organizations, liberal media networks and liberal blogs that used to back Democrats against Republicans viciously attacking Sen. Clinton while giving Sen. Obama millions of dollars of free media promotion?
    No. Those are called "endorsements". I know you haven't seen many of them lately, so the concept may be foreign to you, but...
    –Are you TIRED of the pundits and/or many Obama supporters (who have been repeatedly wrong in this election—Remember NH? Remember CA and MA? Remember TX and OH?)
    Remember IA? Remember SC and NV (where Hillary was heavily favored and Obama played it to a tie, which was basically how NH played out too)? Remember WI? Goes both ways, douchebag. Oh, and I do remember TX. That's the place where Obama beat Clinton in delegates. Fuck me.
    telling you that she can’t win and should drop out, even though the two candidates are very close in delegates
    The Yankees and Red Sox may be only three games apart, but if there are only two games left in the season, the Red Sox fans usually don't say 'we should still keep fighting because we're very close in wins!'
    [and much of Sen. Obama's lead comes from undemocratic caucuses where very few people voted],
    Undemocratic? Really? Undemo-fucking-cratic? That is so goddamned stupid I'm not even going to bother with it.
    are nearly tied in popular vote (with FL and MI),
    A, 'nearly tied' is a relative term. B, FL and MI still, as of press time, do not count.
    have many more contests left to go,
    With many more contests completed than upcoming, and PA is the last major state on the schedule. "Wait, wait, I'm not bankrupt yet! All I need is a 6 and Oriental Avenue is MINE!"
    both need superdelegate support to win the nomination
    True, but we've already covered THAT trend.
    and both have a decent chance to win?
    No. No, they both do not. Stop making shit up.
    –Are you SICK of the media pundits attacking Sen. Clinton’s campaign for negativity while ignoring repeated negative attacks by Sen. Obama’s campaign and his supporters on her?
    I don't know what networks you've been watching, but...
    –Are you TIRED of the Clintons being labeled as racists for innocuous comments and for Clinton supporters being labeled as racist by some because they don’t happen to support Sen. Obama, but have chosen the more experienced Sen. Clinton?
    Sure. And while I'm at it, I'm also tired of Jeremiah Wright getting brought up every five minutes, and being labeled as sexist because I don't happen to support Sen. Clinton, but have chosen the more capable Sen. Obama.
    –Are you SICK of being told that it’s okay to disenfranchise FL and MI voters and to stand in the way of a re-vote and that the potential disenfranchisement of MI and FL is not a big deal for our party or the general election?
    No. No, I am not. You know why? Because they broke the fucking rules, and I trust Florida and Michigan voters to hold their state officials accountable in November for putting them in this mess in the first place. And if they don't, I will not weep if they find themselves in this situation again in 2012, because they will have it coming.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tell you what I am sick of. Goddamn Hilary Clinton supporters and their righteous indignation. Fuck them and fuck her.

Tach on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Who should Obama's running mate be?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    CNN writes a check to Paul Begala and James Carville for their 'insights' on the race. How does that not trump Chris Matthews periodical stupidity?

moniker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Me, Zen. Me.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Napolitano or Sebelius.
    :winky:

moniker on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Napolitano or Sebelius.

You dog you.

This is a serious question that no one seems to know. He could pull someone from anywhere.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Yes, those damnded caucuses where it's essentially having your political machine compete with the other candidate's political machine. Who could have expected the Clintons to stay afloat in such a circumstance? Obama practically has decades of built in superiority there compared to those lightweights.
    What's interesting to me is that a Caucus is somewhere that a candidate's natural charisma doesn't really overpower the proceedings. You're seeing a few taped messages, but mostly it's other supporters arguing points.

In theory, this would be Obama's weakest form of contest.
    If it weren't for the fact that caucuses are being held in states with such wonderful demographics for an upstart black guy from Chicago. Like Iowa and Maine. How can she be expected to compete? Now if you were to ignore all those 'votes' then look at how things pan out. Obama is practically losing with his 16 extra delegates.
    Hey, now, if you count states where Obama didn't appear on the ballot, Hillary is almost winning the popular vote (by which I mean she's losing by less than if you don't count those states).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There are any number of different directions he could go that would be great.

It's easier to ask who his running mate shouldn't be.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eyebrows or no, those are actually my first two guesses. Maybe Richardson, but after that I'm unsure. There still is the outside chance of an Obama/Clinton ticket, but in the interest of my digestive system I won't consider it at this point.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think whoever wins, our vice president should be sarah palin.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    There are any number of different directions he could go that would be great.

It's easier to ask who his running mate shouldn't be.

That just makes shit easy.

That's not what D&D is about.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think whoever wins, our vice president should be sarah palin.
    Not to be crude or anything, but :winky:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Eyebrows or no, those are actually my first two guesses. Maybe Richardson, but after that I'm unsure. There still is the outside chance of an Obama/Clinton ticket, but in the interest of my digestive system I won't consider it at this point.
    He could go with a female, in which case Napolitano and Sibelus would be his first likely choices. He could look for someone with more of a foreign policy background, like Biden or Richardson. He could go for a military-type, like Colin Powell or Wesley Clark. Or he could go off the reservation, and offer the slot to someone totally unexpected, but likely to garner a lot of votes, like Richard LugAr or Al Gore. And there's always the unity ticket, with another contender, like Clinton or Edwards.

None of these lists is anywhere near exhaustive. I'd be surprised if his short list were down to 40 right now.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Napolitano or Sebelius.
    Which reminds me, if I'm going to be Wii-less for a week (plus however long it takes me to get my lazy ass to packing it up and sending it off), I should probably take the opportunity to resume the Great Obama Cabinet Search.

Here's where I pick up from last time. Bolded means that's my ultimate pick. Non-bolded means that's a name I've heard floated that I've either turned down in favor of someone else, or simply not pulled the trigger yet.
    VICE PRESIDENT- Janet Napolitano, Arizona
    Joe Biden, Delaware
    Kathleen Sabelius, Kansas
    Al Gore, Tennessee
    Chuck Hagel, Nebraska
    Russ Feingold, Wisconsin
    Joseph Cirincione, DC
    Bill Richardson, New Mexico
    Jim Webb, Virginia
    Tim Kaine, Virginia
    Mark Warner, Virginia
    Colin Powell, New York
    Richard Lugar, Indiana
    Tony Villargairosa, California

SECRETARY OF STATE
    Joe Biden, Delaware
    Colin Powell, New York

SECRETARY OF TREASURY
    David Card, Canada
    Richard Thaler, New Jersey

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE- Joseph Cirincione, DC
    John McCain. Arizona
    Janet Napolitano, Arizona

ATTORNEY GENERAL
    John Edwards, North Carolina

SECRETARY OF INTERIOR- Dennis Kucinich, Ohio

SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE- Norman Borlaug, Minnesota

SECRETARY OF COMMERCE
    David Card, Canada
    Richard Thaler, New Jersey

SECRETARY OF LABOR
    John Edwards, North Carolina

SECRETARY OF HEALTH/HUMAN SERVICE- Esther Duflo, France
    Abhijit Banerjee, Massachusetts

SECRETARY OF HOUSING/URBAN DEVELOPMENT- Abhijit Banerjee, Massachusetts
    Esther Duflo, France

SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

SECRETARY OF ENERGY

SECRETARY OF EDUCATION- Amy Gutmann, New York

SECRETARY OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
    John McCain, Arizona

SECRETARY OF HOMELAND SECURITY
    Lee Hamilton, Indiana

Edited because I don't want to have 14 vice presidents.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think he would go with a military-type with a strong background to counteract some of McCain's "I'M A VETERAN" appeal.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think both Sebelius and Napolitano would go a long way to bridging the divide between Obama and the post-menopausal crowd. They also both happen to be inexplicably popular in traditionally conservative regions. They also add state executive experience to the ticket.

Richardson adds that experience and may tip the scales for hispanic voters. DID YOU KNOW HE WAS A GOVERNOR!?

I guess you have to balance the choice between actually-good and electorally-strategic. So, his choice may depend on how well Hillary's supporters come together behind him. I'm with Napolitano.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In my opinion, the only woman who stands a chance at getting the Democratic vice-presidency is Clinton. Any other woman and it would just be seen as insulting.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think he would go with a military-type with a strong background to counteract some of McCain's "I'M A VETERAN" appeal.
    This is what he needs. A foil to his liberal image.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Webb
    Sebelius
    Clark
    Warner

That's a good "likely" list. Although I probably shouldnt have Warner on there.

Personally, Id love either Webb or Sebelius

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »
    This is what he needs. A foil to his liberal image.

It might strike people as him being able to bridge gaps between his "rampant liberalism" and the independants hedging the fence.

@Geck: Probably not.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

Webb
    Sebelius
    Clark
    Warner

My dad would go apeshit for Wes Clark, if that's who you mean by Clark.

Unfortunately it seems that Clark is supporting Hillary for now.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That doesn't mean Clark wouldn't go for the chance of being VP if Obama asked.

That would be retarded.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Webb
    Sebelius
    Clark
    Warner

Yeah, thats who I mean. And him supporting Hillary doesn't extend to not accepting a veep offer, I would think. I like to think Obama isn't the type to holde a grudge against a guy who was NATO's supreme commander under the Clintons. He does kinda owe them.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Webb
    Sebelius
    Clark
    Warner

Clark supporting Hillary right now is a plus for him as a veep choice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Google and Wiki aren't working for me right now, so if anyone could give me Wesley Clark's home state, I'll add him to the pile.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Google and Wiki aren't working for me right now, so if anyone could give me Wesley Clark's home state, I'll add him to the pile.

Birth place is Chicago.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Arkansas

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Birth place is Chicago.
    Well, then he's screwed, because the President and VP cannot be from the same state. Or, more accurately, they can, but then that home state is not allowed to vote for that ticket even if it costs them the race. (So for Hillary, fellow New Yorker Colin Powell is not an option.)

But if he moved to Arkansas... poifect.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh.

That's what he meant.

I'm retarded this morning.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is Clark as crazy awesome as my dad seems to think he is?

I seriously doubt my dad would be supporting Hillary if Clark supported Obama.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Clark helped 25 or so people take seats from pubs in the 2006 race.

So, yes.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Birth place is Chicago.
    Well, then he's screwed, because the President and VP cannot be from the same state. Or, more accurately, they can, but then that home state is not allowed to vote for that ticket even if it costs them the race.

Are you serious? That's a rule I've never heard of.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Birth place is Chicago.
    Well, then he's screwed, because the President and VP cannot be from the same state. Or, more accurately, they can, but then that home state is not allowed to vote for that ticket even if it costs them the race.

Its not an actual rule.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Birth place is Chicago.

I ran into it while doing my All-Star Washington project. I had Washington, from Virginia, in the President slot. I was about to take fellow Virginian Thomas Jefferson as his veep, but then I stumbled across that rule. So I had to dump Jefferson in favor of New Yorker Teddy Roosevelt.

Turns out that's why Cheney lives in Wyoming is because of that rule. He moved to get around it.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Birth place is Chicago.
    Well, then he's screwed, because the President and VP cannot be from the same state. Or, more accurately, they can, but then that home state is not allowed to vote for that ticket even if it costs them the race. (So for Hillary, fellow New Yorker Colin Powell is not an option.)

I wasn't aware they were allowed to at all.

I didn't know that Clark's from Illinois. That sucks.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Birth place is Chicago.

Its not an actual rule.

More of an idea.

BUT Clark is really from Arkansas at this point, really.

Birthplace means shit if you do nothing there.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Would the fact that Wesley Clark is the head of a PAC impact Obama's decision?

mcp on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Secretary of Homeland Security thing got me thinking; do we know if Obama is even going to keep that branch? It falls squarely into the "Bush's mistakes to undo" category for me. Alternately, Obama could keep the concept but change the focus, or at least the terrible name. Is it officially a cabinet position? If so, why not fold it back into defense? Maybe call it the Department of Intelligence, for naming consistency?

Also, didn't Obama want to have a new, technology-related Cabinet position? If so, who should lead that one?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
This discussion has been closed.