Options

Bands at PAX Discussion Thread

• Options
    strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I snapped an awesome photo of Mustin last year. The OneUps are awesome.

1413327955_58057f28ab.jpg

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    6 hours of concerts?

I'm down.

As for the bands; I really would love to see 8Bit Weapon play. Possibly open for freezepop.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To me, at least, the concerts are what made a big part of PAX. If not just a 1/3 of it.

Highfire on
  • Options
    defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Obviously, I'm a fan of mc chris.
    <<<

I've seen him once and his live show is awe inspiring. He's also notorious (for among other things) a heavy fan participation during his songs. I can't even begin to think how ridiculous Geek or Fett's Vette is gonna be with 6,000 people singing along.

The Front, Chris, and Joco all within a two day period? Yes please.

I'm gonna have to save up a crapload for shirts and CD's.

defaultprophet on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Front, Chris, and Joco all within a two day period? Yes please.

This. These three acts alone make the whole trip worth it for me.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I really wasn't diggin' the NESkimos last year.

I really would like to see Horse the Band play, that along with Freezepop, The Minibosses, Johnathan Coulton, and Optimus Rhyme. Last year, MC Frontalot's bass was up WAY too much. I couldn't understand jack shit he said.

I thinkt here should be three nights of concerts.

One night would be like, electro-pop, the next would be rock, and then Rap.

So you could have Horse the Band, Freezepop, And 8bit weapon.

Then Johnathan Coulton, The Minibosses, and The OneUps

then on Sunday, have mc frontalot, MC Chris, and Optimus Rhyme. That'd be pretty rad.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've seen him once and his live show is awe inspiring. He's also notorious (for among other things) a heavy fan participation during his songs. I can't even begin to think how ridiculous Geek or Fett's Vette is gonna be with 6,000 people singing along.

He was at PAX 3 years ago, I think? Anyways, he was probably the best out of anybody i saw getting the crowd involved, and yes, Fett's Vette was epic. I was slightly disappointed the past couple of years when he wasn't there

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Last year, MC Frontalot's bass was up WAY too much. I couldn't understand jack shit he said.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    proXimity wrote: »

He was at PAX 3 years ago, I think? Anyways, he was probably the best out of anybody i saw getting the crowd involved, and yes, Fett's Vette was epic. I was slightly disappointed the past couple of years when he wasn't there

I think Coulton did a bang up job of that last year.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can I also pitch ideas for bands here? I would like some Daft Punk plox

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »

lol not happening

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Aquabats are like borderline nerd-core, but I wouldn't see them coming to PAX.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Aquabats are like borderline nerd-core, but I wouldn't see them coming to PAX.

I think Horse The Band is perfect for PAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqlW2pu53Y&feature=related

Here's a video of them performing their song Cutsman, a tribute to Cutman from Megaman

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, if their website is accurate, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets are gonna be at PAX this year.

Nothing like a good bit of Cthulhu rockin'.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »

Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine would be great too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine would be great too.
    do not forget muse. Live show=liquid bliss

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The obvious choices for music other then what's already confimed would be any of the artists at 8bitpeoples. Nullsleep, Bitshifter, x|k or the like.

redhalo on
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've heard Weird Al mentioned in other forums. I saw him in concert this year and he was hella entertaining. I bet he'd get a warm welcome at PAX!

MR.T on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Although Weird Al is a great live act (I've seen him four times) and he has nerdy songs (Pentiums, White and Nerdy) I'm not sure if it's in the same vein as the other acts. That said, I would definitely make sure to see him a fifth time if he played.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As long as we are mentioning rich and world famous someone needs to mention Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

by the time Freezepop had finished what seemed to be their entire discography, I wasn't even interested in the concert anymore, I was just too tired. They ruined it for me, and I hate them for it.

b0wser on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    That would be the reason I'm in and out of the concerts. So I don't get burned out on any given thing.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    b0wser wrote: »

by the time Freezepop had finished what seemed to be their entire discography, I wasn't even interested in the concert anymore, I was just too tired. They ruined it for me, and I hate them for it.

I loved freezepops show. I danced the entire time, my hair was such a mess when I took a picture with Liz afterwards lol

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, that's part of the problem for guys like me who don't particularly care for acts like Freezepop, Optimus Rhyme and so forth. I don't DISLIKE them, I'm just indifferent. I don't mind listening to their set; I'm not one of those guys that automatically writes off certain types of muisc. In fact, PAX '07 was the first time I had heard either one of them.

That said, their sets were ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. Either make the concert shorter, give everyone but the headliner(s) a shorter set, or get more artists.

THAT said, I'd like to recommend Khoo (or whoever) look into gettting TURBO to come out to the show. Some of you may know him better as the guy who does the Balrog tracks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHxXufqOEY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLrxRz1sVI

And so on. He's got several things going for him:
    1) He makes music about video games. Specifically Street Fighter.
    2) Not all of his music is about video games. Or nerdy stuff. Sure you might be thinking "dude this is PAX," but a slight change would be nice. And the fact that 3/4 of his set will be about video games is fine with me.
    3) He's a hip-hop artist. Not enough of those at the concerts; it's mostly rock/electronic/psuedo-hiphop. Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer rock/metal nowadays (I used to be hardcore into hiphop) but variety is ALWAYS good.
    4) With the (apparent) return of mc chris to the lineup, having another hiphop artist would be awesome. Esp. since the two could freestyle or cypher or battle or some shit. Epic stuff.

Just a thought.

kazuo on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kazuo wrote: »

Yeah, that's part of the problem for guys like me who don't particularly care for acts like Freezepop, Optimus Rhyme and so forth. I don't DISLIKE them, I'm just indifferent. I don't mind listening to their set; I'm not one of those guys that automatically writes off certain types of muisc. In fact, PAX '07 was the first time I had heard either one of them.

That said, their sets were ridiculously long. Something needs to be done about that. Either make the concert shorter, give everyone but the headliner(s) a shorter set, or get more artists.

THAT said, I'd like to recommend Khoo (or whoever) look into gettting TURBO to come out to the show. Some of you may know him better as the guy who does the Balrog tracks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHxXufqOEY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLrxRz1sVI

And so on. He's got several things going for him:
    1) He makes music about video games. Specifically Street Fighter.
    2) Not all of his music is about video games. Or nerdy stuff. Sure you might be thinking "dude this is PAX," but a slight change would be nice. And the fact that 3/4 of his set will be about video games is fine with me.
    3) He's a hip-hop artist. Not enough of those at the concerts; it's mostly rock/electronic/psuedo-hiphop. Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer rock/metal nowadays (I used to be hardcore into hiphop) but variety is ALWAYS good.
    4) With the (apparent) return of mc chris to the lineup, having another hiphop artist would be awesome. Esp. since the two could freestyle or cypher or battle or some shit. Epic stuff.

Just a thought.
    Lol, not enough hip hop between MC Frontalot, MC Chris, and Optimus Rhyme? How are you defining hip hop?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    what i didn't understand was why mutiple NES metal cover bands?

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No one is forcing you to watch all of the bands. The variety in music is one of the things that makes the concert so great. Most people don't like all of the bands. If you look around you will find people who loved or hated every single act.

I say this because people may not realize there is still a ton of stuff going on during the concert.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    Sir LandrethSir Landreth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Every year they come and play the exact same tired set. I've never heard a NEW song from them, until the 07 Omegathon special. It's getting to the point where I just skip that concert. They're cool guys, but their concerts are all the same.

As a substitute VGMetal band, I submit Powerglove.

Sir Landreth on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Theres already a thread for discussing bands.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=54749

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Theres already a thread for discussing bands.

Thank you MiniMoe.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yellow?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    see sig :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would've figured Red deserved an angrier color...something fiery, something bold, like...hmm, can't think of one right now.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I wouldn't go to say that. The Minibosses are more on the line of just rock cover. The NESKimos on the other hand are metal cover.

Side Note: Besides that. I think Minibosses shouldn't be in the line up this year. But the NESKimos. If I'm right, The Minibosses have played at PAX four times now. And NESKimos only three. I think Minibosses had their time at PAX, and need to be replace for a year or two.

Highfire on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

I wouldn't go to say that. The Minibosses are more on the line of just rock cover. The NESKimos on the other hand are metal cover.

Side Note: Besides that. I think Minibosses shouldn't be in the line up this year. But the NESKimos. If I'm right, The Minibosses have played at PAX four times now. And NESKimos only three. I think Minibosses had their time at PAX, and need to be replace for a year or two.

Plus the NESkimos have always changed their setlist every year and wrote a whole bunch of new songs for their set last year.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Highfire wrote: »

Plus the NESkimos have always changed their setlist every year and wrote a whole bunch of new songs for their set last year.

the minibosses have posted a new song on their myspace. So seems like their stuffs new if they're here this year.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was it just me, or did a couple of the bands last year just not seem to be into it? Like in 2006 both Optimus Rhyme and The Minibosses seemed to be absolutely stoked to be at the show, complete with most of the Minibosses in PictoChat in between songs. But 2007, it kinda felt like their heart wasn't in it. Both seemed to kind of just rush through their sets and get going. Maybe it was just me because I wanted them both to play for 19 hours.

Riggz13 on
  • Options
    defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, I just thought of something. Nerf Herder would be fantastic. Certainly a nerd band worthy of inviting.

defaultprophet on
  • Options
    skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.myspace.com/schafferthedarklord

This guy needs to be on the bill for the concerts for PAX 2008. He is a rapper that rivals MC Frontalot in funnyness and skill. His name is Schaffer The Darklord (Or STD).

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm working on a heavy VG cover project, but we really rarely ever have time to practice. It's awesome stuff, it's a shame we can't play together more often.

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.