Options

Bands at PAX Discussion Thread

• Options
    jba1986jba1986 Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    I talked to JoCo at his concert on Saturday night, and he confirmed that he'll be at PAX. Just...FYI.

jba1986 on
  • Options
    strifemasterstrifemaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My votes go to Jonathan Coulton, Nullsleep, Weird Al, and Rage Against The Machine

strifemaster on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.myspace.com/schafferthedarklord

This guy needs to be on the bill for the concerts for PAX 2008. He is a rapper that rivals MC Frontalot in funnyness and skill. His name is Schaffer The Darklord (Or STD).

This dude HAS to go hes amazing. How the hell did i go so long with out hearing him. Cant wait to see him in july.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    JohJoh Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.myspace.com/3iob

3 inches of blood.

They're local too!

Joh on
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.myspace.com/crush40official

I know it probably can't happen, but how awesome would it be to have Crush 40 there? (In case anyone doesn't know who they are, they did the music for a lot of Sega games, the Sonic the Hedgehog series being the most famous.)

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How about MF Doom or Nine Pound Hammer?

They do a load of work for Adult Swim.

Highfire on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apparently I'm going to get to see The Protomen on Sunday, I'll let everyone know how they are.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    LittleBigGuyLittleBigGuy Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I saw Coulton in Portland last friday..... and he needs to bring those guys Paul and Storm with him. Cause they are freaking awesome, and hillarious.

LittleBigGuy on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm kinda hoping Flo Rida shows up as well as Travis Barker and they can play together. ^_^

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    STD is great live

Anyways, The band list is pretty much set already. Which ruins my plan of begging khoo to let me perform.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems weird to me that nobody has mentioned The Advantage. Is there some sort of stigma against them? (Ducktails ftw)

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After seeing the Protomen twice in the last three days, I can confidently say they rock out hard and would be a worthy addition to the PAX lineup in the future.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    TheDissolutionTheDissolution Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think Machinae Supremacy should play! :<

Return to Snake Mountain or Flagcarrier live go!

TheDissolution on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    After seeing the Protomen twice in the last three days, I can confidently say they rock out hard and would be a worthy addition to the PAX lineup in the future.

Yes! Someone converted to the cause!!!

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Fighter XFighter X Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys I'm going to make this short and sweet! My names' Nickolas Walthew and I've been making electronic music since 2004 starting on FLStudios :P Since then I've played many many show under the alias 'Fighter X' and I now you a KORG Electribe MX and a Nintendo Game Boy to make my music. It's all very videogame related I can assure you! Anyway I figure I could really bring some fun and amusing entertainment to PAX this year and would greatly appreciated any support:) Plus I live in Everett, so I'm very local. Please check my music out on myspace.com/fighterxtreme. I have a Guilty Gear song in there (not a remix) and a couple of my Game Boy tracks as well. Yadda yadda ya. I just finished writing a letter to PAX and made a demo for them that I'll be sending out today. Like the rest of you, I'm a huge videogame guy and I really appreciated what PAX is and what it will be in the coming years.........epic... Hope you guys are interested. Sorry for any bad grammar or typos.

I would love to perform for you all.

Sincerely,
    Fighter X

Fighter X on
    MY MUSIC: myspace.com/fighterxtreme
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shill

This stuff is pretty damn cool

LewieP on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fighter X wrote: »

Sincerely,
    Fighter X

Picked up your CDs, so at least a little good came of this. :P

Something that might be interesting would be to have some smaller bands/single performers set up near the giant lines and provide entertainment to the crowd. Would be a way to work in some people that would otherwise not make the big stage.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    Some acoustic or electronic acts in that sense would be nice. Stuff that doesn't take up too much room or is completely overpowering

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    Fighter X wrote: »

Sincerely,
    Fighter X

Picked up your CDs, so at least a little good came of this. :P

Something that might be interesting would be to have some smaller bands/single performers set up near the giant lines and provide entertainment to the crowd. Would be a way to work in some people that would otherwise not make the big stage.

I'm sure there's work for parties as well.

redhalo on
  • Options
    nmolendanmolenda Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is Discs of Fury playing?

cause that'd be sick......

myspace.com/discsoffury

nmolenda on
  • Options
    KeshtathKeshtath Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    So I was looking over the dates for the upcoming NiN concert and saw a link saying support Crystal Castles.

http://tour.nin.com/

Being curious since I've played the game, It turns out to be a rather interesting band that uses alot of 8-bit samples. I've found a number of their songs engaging and it might be worth a shot checking them out. Who knows maybe the would be a good fit for PAX.

http://www.myspace.com/crystalcastles

Keshtath on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They did a kickass remix of Atlantis To Interzone by the Klaxons

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    They did a kickass remix of Atlantis To Interzone by the Klaxons

Naked Lunch reference?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I dunno, I just love the song (both the remix and the original)

LewieP on
  • Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    announcements being made... soooon

That was a lie! *runs off to cry*

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    nmolendanmolenda Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has anybody heard of Discs of Fury?

nmolenda on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/16/pax-2008-to-feature-ken-levine-jonathan-coulton-mc-chris
    Jonathan Coulton will again be there. MC Chris is going to be performing. Freezepop, featuring "the best mid-section in music," will be there. The MiniBosses will be there. MC Frontalot, The OneUps, and The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets will all be taking the stage. Anamanaguchi will also be in attendance.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To quote many others in this thread....

*BIG GIANT AIR RAID SIREN*

Optimus Rhyme broke up?? When was this? I mean, I know that Broken English kind of took off, but... What?

*END BIG GIANT AIR RAID SIREN*

As long as Coulton is back, I remain happy. He made my PAX in 07. Well... him, and Mysterious No-Question Guy. Freezepop should be great, I missed them last time.... also, YAY for mc chris! The man is liquid hilarity.

By the way, super huge thumbs up to whoever mentioned HORSE the Band. I'm not really into that hardcore degree of the metal genre, but I have a housemate who is, and he showed me some songs (Birdo!!! Holy crap!) that were fairly impressive if not very, very strange. I don't think PAX would jive with their sound, though...

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    lol... HORSE The Band singing a song loosely based on megaman boss as if he were IRL.

I also recommend Bunnies and Seven Tentacles.

http://www.last.fm/music/HORSE+The+Band/_/Cutsman

woo Nintendocore

TheDissolution on
  • Options
    MuffinStoryMuffinStory Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    On Freezepop's site, it says they're going.

I wonder if the Duke will make it this year...

MuffinStory on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To quote many others in this thread....

*BIG GIANT AIR RAID SIREN*

Optimus Rhyme broke up?? When was this? I mean, I know that Broken English kind of took off, but... What?

*END BIG GIANT AIR RAID SIREN*

As long as Coulton is back, I remain happy. He made my PAX in 07. Well... him, and Mysterious No-Question Guy. Freezepop should be great, I missed them last time.... also, YAY for mc chris! The man is liquid hilarity.

By the way, super huge thumbs up to whoever mentioned HORSE the Band. I'm not really into that hardcore degree of the metal genre, but I have a housemate who is, and he showed me some songs (Birdo!!! Holy crap!) that were fairly impressive if not very, very strange. I don't think PAX would jive with their sound, though...

I think Horse would be fantastic...

as for Anamanaguchi...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS THERE IS A GOD

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Front and JoCo were amazing last year, but I really didn't dig Freezepop. I think Liz sounds a lot better in the studio. And MC Chris's unfortunate personality kind of made me stop liking his music.

OMG Cthulu-themed music?!? Sweet!

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    zombiebot wrote: »
    Front and JoCo were amazing last year, but I really didn't dig Freezepop. I think Liz sounds a lot better in the studio. And MC Chris's unfortunate personality kind of made me stop liking his music.

His unfortunate personality? Whatever do you mean?

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    zombiebot wrote: »

His unfortunate personality? Whatever do you mean?

Every time I've seen him in Austin, I witnessed him being rude to fans. I get that people can be awkward and star-struck, but there isn't a reason to give them the cold shoulder. I can also understand also having a bad night, but this seemed to happen at every show (and he's been here 5 times). Then last summer, he was actually rude to me, and I was over it.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I read somewhere that he was reportedly talking about being frustrated for being grouped as a gimmick while trying to aspire to be something more. I like MC Chris, I think he's hilarious, but there have been quite a few instances of people saying he's generally a dick.

TheDissolution on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I read somewhere that he was reportedly talking about being frustrated for being grouped as a gimmick while trying to aspire to be something more. I like MC Chris, I think he's hilarious, but there have been quite a few instances of people saying he's generally a dick.

If you talk to him much or follow his posts on his myspace, then yeah, it becomes fairly apparent that he isn't the nicest guy ever. Doesn't prevent me from liking his music though. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2008

If I was short and had a voice of a ten year old I'd be an a-hole too.

redhalo on
  • Options
    MustinMustin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    redhalo wrote:
    If I was short and had a voice of a ten year old I'd be an a-hole too.

hahahha

Hey, Mustin from The OneUps here. Hope to entertain yous at the show this year.

ciao,

-m

Mustin
    Manager
    Bass/Keys
    The OneUps

Mustin on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    Hell yeah, I enjoyed the smooth stylings of the OneUps last year

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Hell yeah, I enjoyed the smooth stylings of the OneUps last year

Seconded! The rendition of "Mii Channel" was just too great. Here's to their return!

Secondly.... I just went and checked out Anamana(manamanananana!)guchi,
    and..... after hearing "Fast Turtle" I pretty much had to scoop my liquefied brain off the floor. Insane. This is shaping up to look like a really good concert year!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
This discussion has been closed.