As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Death Knights Hoo!: Druids don't need shields to tank, and neither do we!

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    There are going to be 50,000,000 death knights running around when the expansion comes out.

And?

Considering it's one of the big ticket items listed on the box, isn't that to be expected?

There'll be 50,000,000 inscriptionists (scribes? inscriptors? script kiddies?) running around too. Hell, I bet a bunch of people will make their Death Knight alt a follower of the path of inscription. OH NOES!

Also, it'll probably take a couple of weeks for them to really burst onto the scene. As intriguing as they are, I suspect most people will likely want to take their main/newly main 70 out to Northrend to see the new content, rather than do a little new content with a Death Knight and then re-run the Outland for the nth time.

I've had BC for almost a year now and I STILL don't have a Blood Elf or Draenei past 30.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got my shaman to level 70 just to experience the class.

My blood elf is a level 8 rogue.

Err... because I liked the stealth animation.

>.>

<.<

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've had BC for almost a year now and I STILL don't have a Blood Elf or Draenei past 30.

Con...congrats?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Con...congrats?

So you didn't read the quoted post?
    The one talking about how there'd be a huge amount of people who'd bring their 70s to Northrend instead of trying a new character?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well it is different this time. Blood Elves and Draenei offered only aesthetic changes(racials are so inconsequential).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BUT GIFT OF THE NAARU GIV PALADIN HoT

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Well it is different this time. Blood Elves and Draenei offered only aesthetic changes(racials are so inconsequential).

Plus I suspect the Death Knight will attract a metric fuckload of people who are like "I would really like to roll an alt, but I seriously do not want to level him from 1-80." Starting at level 55 is going to be a serious incentive.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yep, level 55 and new class is completely and totally different than starting as a different race at level 1.

Death Knights will probably be the most-played class in WoW (even at 80) within weeks of WotLK's release.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't wait to see some of the tom-foolery going on with the ability to turn party members into "Ghouls" when they die.

DKs should be good times, but I think I'll wait 'till after the hype dies down a bit before leveling one. Get the mains to level 80, then go check out the DK areas, so as not to deal with the rush of craziness.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well to be fair, I bring all my alts to Ghostlands.

I'd do the same for Bloodmyst isle but it's harder to get to.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    which kind of sucks for me, because Fury warrior has always been my preferred class and play style, but it's getting a bit stale, and shield tanking is so boring and I frankly hate it. So hearing about a class that doesn't require a shield, is going to be swinging a bigass 2hander, and is going to hold aggro via damage rather than with simply high threat abilities really suits what I've been waiting for for a while in the game.

I wonder how many people are still going to play warriors after this, if Deathknights come out the way I suspect they will. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, especially since we generally don't know anything about death knights yet except some generalizations that have been made. But tanking with a two hander, and doing high damage, sounds more fun than warrior tanking to me.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    tanking with a two hander... sounds more fun than warrior tanking to me.
    Not if you're the one healing the tank. :P

Bama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well I've heard a few rumors that they're going to get rid of crushing blows. So really the only difference between two hand tanking and shield tanking becomes the armor difference. So it depends on whether or not death knights have some sort of ability or aura or something that increases their armor to druid/warrior levels. I suspect they'll have a pretty high parry rating. All speculation of course. But if the devs plan for death knights to be viable tanks (and it sounds like they do), then they shouldn't really be any harder to heal than any of the other tank classes. But it does sound that the concept is more 'fun' than warrior tanking. Of course we'll have to wait and see the 51 point warrior talents I guess.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    51-point Arms talent:

Stunstring

Chance on Melee attack to Stunstring your target. This will apply Rank 4 Hamstring to your target as well as a Mace Stun effect. There is no specific Weapon Requirement.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    EriEri Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well I've heard a few rumors that they're going to get rid of crushing blows. So really the only difference between two hand tanking and shield tanking becomes the armor difference. So it depends on whether or not death knights have some sort of ability or aura or something that increases their armor to druid/warrior levels. I suspect they'll have a pretty high parry rating. All speculation of course. But if the devs plan for death knights to be viable tanks (and it sounds like they do), then they shouldn't really be any harder to heal than any of the other tank classes. But it does sound that the concept is more 'fun' than warrior tanking. Of course we'll have to wait and see the 51 point warrior talents I guess.

There's a spell that will consume all the runic power but grants the DK immunity to stun effects and significantly increases their armor for 12 seconds and Frost presence that increases armor by 45% and allows the DK to generate 25% more threat.

Eri on
    RcvUk.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Should be 'endless charge' you just keep charging, all night and all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0uzdNh5I0

Dissociater on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RE: Crushing blows being eliminated. And fear won't be a factor in the expansion, and you won't need as much CC either.

Sorry if I just blew the fuse on anyone's sarcasm detector...

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    RE: Crushing blows being eliminated. And fear won't be a factor in the expansion, and you won't need as much CC either.

Sorry if I just blew the fuse on anyone's sarcasm detector...

Well, we've actually seen a big move towards no crushing blows with the Sunwell Plateau. There never was any big shift in fear usage.

Septus on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That still gets a chuckle out of me.

Talk about blatent lies. :^:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What lie? When they said fear wouldn't play a big part in TBC encounters?

reVerse on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just wasted some time looking for that with no luck. On the other hand, the whole 'expansion every year' philosophy they were going for when BC launched had me scared the game was going to turn into another EQ. Fast forward to today, and I'm ready for the DK & 10 man raid progression. *sobs*
    Seriously Blizz, WTB expansion!

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Apparently by "one expansion a year" they meant "within a calendar period marked as a year" rather than "once every 12 months".

They released one in January '07, and as long as they get this one out by December '08, they've lived up the letter of their statement, if not the spirit.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They don't get off that easy. A year is 365 consecutive days.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is BLIZZARD. Did anyone really expect them to meet a deadline? If you believed that, I have a bridge on the thandol span to sell you.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyway, if they release in December, it'll be that much harder for them to get the next ex-pack out in '09.

I don't want one every year anyway. If we're going to start over with every ex-pack I'd rather have a couple years to enjoy the game as it is.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That's not thinking outside the box! I thought we were thinking here!

(I struggled to find a PA comic along those lines, but google and I weren't getting along, and the archive search is down)

Forar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'd happily have an expansion every year. However, I'm done with raiding, so really, I have no reason to want to extend the life of an expansion, and I don't think anyone else who doesn't raid would either.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I find it funny that we got 11 major patches before the first expansion, but it looks like we're only going to get a total of 5 before the next. (Not to say the next one is due out soon, but it doesn't look like we're getting another big patch before then.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find it funny that we got 11 major patches before the first expansion, but it looks like we're only going to get a total of 5 before the next. (Not to say the next one is due out soon, but it doesn't look like we're getting another big patch before then.)

That's because vanilla WoW was a hell of a lot more broken when it came out than TBC was.

reVerse on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, and there have been WAY less balance changes made since then. Does anyone remember when Priests had sleep? I wish we still had sleep :(

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

That's because vanilla WoW was a hell of a lot more broken when it came out than TBC was.

Also Blizzard slowing down and misleading us/lying about the pacing of content patches.

Septus on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Also Blizzard slowing down and misleading us/lying about the pacing of content patches.

I'm no maths wiz but wouldn't that be right, since 11 patches over 2 years and 5 patches over 1 year seems pretty spot on to me

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Except by the time it comes out it'll probably be 5 major patches over 2 years, retaining the hopeful optimism that we'll see it live in the next 8 months.

Edit, also, we got 1.12 as I recall, so 12 major patches, not 11?

Forar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Right, 12, my bad.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah the dev cycle has slowed down by a helluva lot the last year. When you start getting bored of the same old stuff (a lot of which isn't as fun as it was pre-bc), and the same classes, etc, it kind of hampers enthusiasm for the game. WotLK can't come out fast enough imo.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, and there have been WAY less balance changes made since then. Does anyone remember when Priests had sleep? I wish we still had sleep :(

/comfort

I'm still bitter about Focused Casting. Stupid patch 1.10.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really, really think that paladins are going to the the Death Knight killers in PVP. We cleanse disease, we have the most undead-managing skills, we don't have HOTs (unless your a draenei) so they can't turn our heals into death, and if they try it on us we can bubble out of it... which makes me excited, since everyone will be a Death Knight my paladin will finally be feared.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I really, really think that paladins are going to the the Death Knight killers in PVP. We cleanse disease, we have the most undead-managing skills, we don't have HOTs (unless your a draenei) so they can't turn our heals into death, and if they try it on us we can bubble out of it... which makes me excited, since everyone will be a Death Knight my paladin will finally be feared.

Well, Death Knights will be classified as humanoid, not undead.

Septus on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But what about their ghouls?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I suspect those will be undead.

Which will lead to hillarity when a paladin uses turn undead on another player in ghoul form.

Forar on