[WoW] Death Knights Hoo!: Druids don't need shields to tank, and neither do we!

2456718

Posts

  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I get the feeling that crushing blows are going to go the way of the dodo, so I wouldn't think block would be a necessity.

    But really, there are so many different ways Blizz could handle their tanking, with any number of new mechanics just for them.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They have said that they're looking at removing crushing blows, which would be nice.

    And while they can work out new mechanics, that either means that the mechanic has to be based off something (perhaps block rating does something different for DK's, even if they can't block) or having more gear that's class specific, and we all know how popular class specific drops are. (oh look, more leather healing shit!)

    However, if they retain the sunmote "mechanic" of making most or all class specific drops pull at least double duty, then I suppose they could just make as much of the stuff as they wanted, and allow "tanking plate" to be transmutable into anything useful for a warrior, paladin or DK.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the issue Forar mentioned regarding another class to fit into an already crowded raid is probably the major downside to making a new class versus making a current class transform. There are already classes that feel shorted as far as raids. Making crews fit another class is really difficult.

    shadowane on
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    By being "the new thing" and a big draw of the expansion, Blizzard is guaranteed to have millions of Death Knights running around within weeks/months of release. Making them a tank class makes them more self sufficient and lessens the stress on players in the new content by providing DK's with their own 'tank' at will/respec. I predict many "4 DK's LF Healer" groups in the future.

    More like "3 DKs LFM NEED TANK AND HEALER" am I right? The problem with tank shortages is not that no one rolls tanking classes, it's that no one wants to tank. Or at least less people want to tank than want to DPS or heal apparently. I sort of think it's because tanking brings a lot of responsibility, you're sort of the de facto leader of the group, it's often a tough job, etc. When MrT opened, everyone in my guild was desperate for tanks, including a lot of holy paladins and resto druids who could have easily respecced and done it themselves. Or like last night our fury warrior bitching on Vent about how people always run heroic MrT when he's not online, and he needs a trinket. And someone was like "hey I hear YOU CAN TANK, start a group sometime, we have healers always looking to go" and he was like "fuck that." Yeah, my sympathies, friend.

    riz on
    Organichu wrote:
    she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I figure they could have lots and lots of parry(with a possibly modified parry mechanic for them), and armor, and some function to do with damage/healing plate related to leeching life.

    Or, it could be the reverse, with some debuff-based mitigation, where your damage(so then they use fury gear) increasingly debuffs the damage that the enemy does. I think we've got enough current stats to play with, even within their current purposes. I mean, druids are already so simple, hp/dodge/armor.

    Edit: I feel that any possible issues that we'll run into with raids, will be more than offset by the massive gain of an entirely new class with it's own playstyle, for all of the people who will never raid a 25 man.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User
    edited April 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    By being "the new thing" and a big draw of the expansion, Blizzard is guaranteed to have millions of Death Knights running around within weeks/months of release. Making them a tank class makes them more self sufficient and lessens the stress on players in the new content by providing DK's with their own 'tank' at will/respec. I predict many "4 DK's LF Healer" groups in the future.

    More like "3 DKs LFM NEED TANK AND HEALER" am I right? The problem with tank shortages is not that no one rolls tanking classes, it's that no one wants to tank.

    Verily. A few months ago, when I was in the crunch to get Honor Hold Exalted, I joined a PuG via the LFG tool with a paladin and a druid. Shortly after I joined, they announced in LFG "SH group LF2M need tank and healer".

    Personally, for me it will depend on what the "backstory" for the class is. I play on an RP server for a reason, so for me it will matter how comfortable I am getting into character with the class. Since there is so little (read: none whatsoever) info on that point, I'm reserving judgement.

    TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've proudly healed just about (I didn't keep perfect records or anything) 5 man on all 4 healing classes as a non-healing spec. It's a point of pride, and really isn't that big a deal.

    Now tanking is often another issue, as I find tanking as a non-prot warrior terribly frustrating (of note, my warrior is not overgeared, or even geared to the point that I can just slap on dps gear and "dps tank" things), and tanking as a non-prot paladin / feral druid to be an exercise in futility. I guess that's one thing I hope; we don't have to spec purely in the "tanking tree" in order to effectively tank as a DK. I do expect that the deeper you go into certain trees that the better a class will perform in pvp, tanking, dps, healing, etc, but I'd hate to spec as a tank and find it infringe my ability to solo heavily. Though I suppose that's really only an issue for warriors, and they've been looking at ways to fix that, as feral druids and prot paladins solo quite well in many regards.

    Anyway, that all said, if need be I'll spec mine to tank and lead 3 dps noob DK's to victory along with a bored healer or healer alt.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I really hope that there's a strong emphasis on using 2 handers.

    "Our DKs are two handers!"

    "Man, WoW was great until LK, now everyone's a DK."

    "Male Blood Elf DKs everywhere!"

    :lol:

    Surprised no one else had tossed out that pun yet.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    I think they'll have very heavy parry. They're duel-wielding, right? That seems conducive to lots of parries.
    I'm predicting a lot of Male Blood Elf DKs with various spellings of Zolo, Kenshin, etc.

    If they do this, I will roll an alliance character to gank them. Repeatedly. It's Zoro, goddamnit. Not to mention the fact that neither Kenshin nor Zoro dual wield.
    Zolo%20copy.jpg

    Yeah, maybe every now and again, but Zoro, for the record, triple wields.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • MetalChickenMetalChicken Registered User
    edited April 2008
    I'm more worried about Death Knights being available for any race. I mean, Tauren Death Knight? Come the fuck on. Why did they bother giving races diffrent classes then anyway?

    MetalChicken on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe it will only be for races that can be warriors or rogues.

    Opty on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As it currently stands, it's all races.

    At least, until we hear otherwise.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    Maybe it will only be for races that can be warriors or rogues.

    :^:

    Oats on
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really hope I can start my DK on another server to my main, since I'd love to roll horde on anohter server to play with an RL friend but leveling 1-70 again (80 soon-ish) would make me want to murder someone.

    Tav on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    I really hope I can start my DK on another server to my main, since I'd love to roll horde on anohter server to play with an RL friend but leveling 1-70 again (80 soon-ish) would make me want to murder someone.

    That "someone" would most likely be your RL friend, making the whole thing pointless?

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lorewise, I think they could well get away with these races for DK: Human, Dwarf, Forsaken, Orc, BE. But whatever they do, it will interesting to read the lore behind it. The lore behind Draenei was actually really cool.

    Also, I'm another one guilty of waiting for DKs to reroll. I love the horde side of my guild, but leveling is a pain in the ass. I made a warrior to 38, and all I want to do is nuke the horde zones.

    tehmarken on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm more worried about Death Knights being available for any race. I mean, Tauren Death Knight? Come the fuck on. Why did they bother giving races diffrent classes then anyway?

    From what I understand, you get to 80, do a questline, then unlock the class for creation. So Perhaps you can only be a Human/Orc DK since its a new character slot all together.

    Bucketman on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Skragg is double gay.

    Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm more worried about Death Knights being available for any race. I mean, Tauren Death Knight? Come the fuck on. Why did they bother giving races diffrent classes then anyway?

    From what I understand, you get to 80, do a questline, then unlock the class for creation. So Perhaps you can only be a Human/Orc DK since its a new character slot all together.

    This has to be the most pervasive piece of misinformation still circulating.

    That was going to be part of the original design, however, they (Blizzard) thought about it some more and decided that having people rush a character to 80 just to unlock a DK and go level through everything all over again didn't make much sense. To the best of our knowledge, that plan has been scrapped, and they are now aiming at possibly a questline doable between 55 and 70 (thus, something just about anyone can do right now) or even just having a 55-70 character might make you eligable to make a DK.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the raw size of many 2 handed weapons in the game, perhaps they could just allow the DK to block with the sword?

    last i heard a block with a sword was called a parry :lol:

    Dhalphir on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the raw size of many 2 handed weapons in the game, perhaps they could just allow the DK to block with the sword?

    last i heard a block with a sword was called a parry :lol:

    Nah, a parry is deflecting the attack entirely.

    I'm talking weapons so big you could plant the tip firmly in the ground and hide behind the flat of the blade.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think this sword would be perfect for that.

    Oats on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Skragg is double gay.

    Gay for you. My sweet man-child.

    Bucketman on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    I think this sword would be perfect for that.

    hunter weapon

    Dhalphir on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the raw size of many 2 handed weapons in the game, perhaps they could just allow the DK to block with the sword?

    last i heard a block with a sword was called a parry :lol:

    Nah, a parry is deflecting the attack entirely.

    I'm talking weapons so big you could plant the tip firmly in the ground and hide behind the flat of the blade.

    Those are called shields. And I assure you, a shield is a weapon too. :D

    Thomamelas on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the raw size of many 2 handed weapons in the game, perhaps they could just allow the DK to block with the sword?

    last i heard a block with a sword was called a parry :lol:

    Nah, a parry is deflecting the attack entirely.

    I'm talking weapons so big you could plant the tip firmly in the ground and hide behind the flat of the blade.

    Those are called shields. And I assure you, a shield is a weapon too. :D

    a ranged weapon

    Dhalphir on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the raw size of many 2 handed weapons in the game, perhaps they could just allow the DK to block with the sword?

    last i heard a block with a sword was called a parry :lol:

    Nah, a parry is deflecting the attack entirely.

    I'm talking weapons so big you could plant the tip firmly in the ground and hide behind the flat of the blade.

    Those are called shields. And I assure you, a shield is a weapon too. :D

    a ranged weapon

    Captain%20America%20Screenshot.jpg

    tehmarken on
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    By being "the new thing" and a big draw of the expansion, Blizzard is guaranteed to have millions of Death Knights running around within weeks/months of release. Making them a tank class makes them more self sufficient and lessens the stress on players in the new content by providing DK's with their own 'tank' at will/respec. I predict many "4 DK's LF Healer" groups in the future.

    More like "3 DKs LFM NEED TANK AND HEALER" am I right? The problem with tank shortages is not that no one rolls tanking classes, it's that no one wants to tank. Or at least less people want to tank than want to DPS or heal apparently. I sort of think it's because tanking brings a lot of responsibility, you're sort of the de facto leader of the group, it's often a tough job, etc. When MrT opened, everyone in my guild was desperate for tanks, including a lot of holy paladins and resto druids who could have easily respecced and done it themselves. Or like last night our fury warrior bitching on Vent about how people always run heroic MrT when he's not online, and he needs a trinket. And someone was like "hey I hear YOU CAN TANK, start a group sometime, we have healers always looking to go" and he was like "fuck that." Yeah, my sympathies, friend.

    This is EXACTLY the issue. For the past week or so I've been trying to group with my rogue and I can't tell you how many motherfucking warriors and druids are more than capable of tanking (69 druid not wanting to tank mana tombs? Give me a fucking break) but simply don't. It's extremely frustrating.

    SabinXL on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that giving another class the option to tank won't guarantee us a bunch of new tanks, but by making it a viable choice for said class, at least those of us who roll an alt of one (or re-roll as one) will innately be able to become self sufficient in that regard.

    Also, I really hope they take a long look at how the 3 current tanking classes play, the popularity of using them as tanks (in 5 mans up to 25 mans) and make ALL 4 of them fun as hell to play as tanks.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, I really hope they take a long look at how the 3 current tanking classes play, the popularity of using them as tanks (in 5 mans up to 25 mans) and make ALL 4 of them fun as hell to play as tanks.

    The problem with that is that your fun can easily be ruined by aggro-happy DPS McRetardpants no matter how fun the actual mechanics of tanking are. Combine with the fact that 90% of WoW players fall into the McRetardpants category and you've got problems.

    reVerse on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, I really hope they take a long look at how the 3 current tanking classes play, the popularity of using them as tanks (in 5 mans up to 25 mans) and make ALL 4 of them fun as hell to play as tanks.

    The problem with that is that your fun can easily be ruined by aggro-happy DPS McRetardpants no matter how fun the actual mechanics of tanking are. Combine with the fact that 90% of WoW players fall into the McRetardpants category and you've got problems.

    My fun as a dpser can also be ruined by a slow as molasses tank. Anyone in a group can ruin things for anyone else.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I agree that giving another class the option to tank won't guarantee us a bunch of new tanks, but by making it a viable choice for said class, at least those of us who roll an alt of one (or re-roll as one) will innately be able to become self sufficient in that regard.

    Also, I really hope they take a long look at how the 3 current tanking classes play, the popularity of using them as tanks (in 5 mans up to 25 mans) and make ALL 4 of them fun as hell to play as tanks.

    I'm curious to see how the "insta leveled to 50" impacts upswing. I'm sure we'll see a ton of DPS Death Knights but I'm wondering if the built in power leveling might cause some people who might be interested in tanking but unwilling to level to give it a try via their Death Knight.

    Thomamelas on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's an aspect I hadn't pondered. By making the only class to start with a few days shaved off their /played time, this might well inspire more people to take an interest in at least dabbling in tanking, which in turn might make more of them look into the mechanics of tanking, which might do a lot of good for the knowledge/experience level of the game's playerbase as a whole.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • reVersereVerse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, either that or they'll just spam one attack while doing "leet dps".

    Like rogues.

    reVerse on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear to god I had this conversation with a warlock the other night:

    Me: Hey, do you guys use Omen or KTM or something?
    Warlock: wut's omen?
    Me: It's an addon that graphically displays your threat.
    Warlock: wut's threat?
    Me: *whimper*

    Yes, that run went EXACTLY as you expect.

    Imperfect on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    That's an aspect I hadn't pondered. By making the only class to start with a few days shaved off their /played time, this might well inspire more people to take an interest in at least dabbling in tanking, which in turn might make more of them look into the mechanics of tanking, which might do a lot of good for the knowledge/experience level of the game's playerbase as a whole.

    I hope that's true.

    Thomamelas on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, either that or they'll just spam one attack while doing "leet dps".

    Like rogues.

    Hey!

    I use 3 abilities, thank you very much! (actually 5, 6 if you include a timely vanish).

    Which is so much less work than cursing them and spamming machinegun shadowbolts for lawl dps, right?

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I loved tanking as a warrior.

    But that was pre-BC, so I dont know if it's any different now.

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, either that or they'll just spam one attack while doing "leet dps".

    Like rogues.

    Hey!

    I use 3 abilities, thank you very much! (actually 5, 6 if you include a timely vanish).

    Which is so much less work than cursing them and spamming machinegun shadowbolts for lawl dps, right?

    And then there's Timbal's Focusing Crystal, which shoots Shadowbolts FOR you.

    Imperfect on
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I quit WoW and am thinking of coming back when WotLK comes out......

    I deleted all the armour and items, will the restore it? (at least the last set I had on)

    -Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.