Options

PS3 Firmware Wishlist (In-Game+More Confirmed in 2.40 Update)

• Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just wish there was more M&KB support for games (FPS'ers.) ... basically...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is anything more known about *when* we might see this delicious update?

midgetspy on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    That sounds way too ambitious.

Nah not really. I think it will be another feature that the the developer has to code into their game kinda like remote play. They don't need to write their own code, but need to choose to use the library. (I use remote play as an example because I suspect the tech behind the both of them is similar)

I don't think it will be as simple as choosing "record youtube video" from the ingame xmb.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was kind of hoping it would be that simple. I want to be able to do this with pretty much every game. Ninja Gaiden II lets you upload replays on Xbox Live, but Sigma can do it one better by letting you upload them on youtube, to be watched by practically everyone on the world wide web.
    Is anything more known about *when* we might see this delicious update?

Last I checked it was targeted for this month, but word from a supposed tester at GAF claims that there's some technical issues that might have it delayed until July. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    First video of 2.40 in action.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/40/

Pros over Xbox Live:

Can switch between PSN games without reverting to the XMB menu.

Full control over XMB, including settings and even the internet (gamefaqs!)

Custom soundtrack interface much quicker and smoother than slider music menu.

Unanswered:

Custom soundtracks on all games?

Joining someone's lobby if they send an invitation?

Next video will feature trophies (also a part of 2.40) in a few days (maybe next week).

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's downright confirmed at this point, as Pixeljunk Eden has been shown to feature some sort of Youtube feature.

If it basically allows any sort of footage to be uploaded without any of the hassle of capture cards or whatnot, consider me very excited.

Until Sony confirms it, I'm calling it a rumor to avoid rabble rabble.

But yes, I know it's basically confirmed. and damn am I excited.

Holllly shit think I'd be able to upload my nooby DMC4 stuff and stuff from gta iv?

It would really suck if it has to be developer coded as I really doubt Capcom would backwards patch DMC4.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    holy shit!

Bamelin on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    needs an updated flash player support for the webbrowser

my wii and my ps3 both cant view video sites, such as hulu/etc

xta on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just watched the video, it is amusing how geeky the guy is. He's so happy to show off this awesome upgrade. :lol:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    xta wrote: »
    needs an updated flash player support for the webbrowser

adobe not allowing it etc.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rumored:

Trophy video will be shown later today (the sooner it's out, the sooner the update is out)

2.40 to feature even more features besides in-game and trophies. Stuff that's "worth teasing people about".

• Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just watched the video, it is amusing how geeky the guy is. He's so happy to show off this awesome upgrade. :lol:

This is the type of communication Sony needs. Straightforward, fact based, zero hyperbole. This guy was likable, enthusiastic for the product and does not reek of marketingdroid.

Let the CEOs step aside on the corporate communications front; the engineers and the gamers can take it from here.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »

This is the type of communication Sony needs. Straightforward, fact based, zero hyperbole. This guy was likable, enthusiastic for the product and does not reek of marketingdroid.

Let the CEOs step aside on the corporate communications front; the engineers and the gamers can take it from here.

I actually decided I liked him when he got full steam all enthusiastic up to sending a message in game on the friends list and then kind of went "Uh..." in an unpracticed way when he realised that meant slowly inputting a message in with the dualshock controller. :lol:

He's a cool guy, you can see straight through him.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    okay so the trophy video is up

it looks quite cool, looking forward to finding out some more games which will include support

edit: HOLY MOTHERFUCKING HEART-ATTACK

"Firmware v2.40 will become available for download on July 2nd. We hope you enjoy these much-requested features, and look forward to your feedback."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What he forgot to mention, is that its July 2nd 2009.

Dirty on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    What he forgot to mention, is that its July 2nd 2009.

lol, nice one

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wooo! A clock! I've been waiting for a clock for months. More anticipated than In-game XMB :)

Harakhti on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the mini-media control thing, so that you don't have to figure out which button does what while you're playing music. Having a custom soundtrack in-game is the number one feature to this update for me. I wonder if it will pay attention and pause when cutscenes are playing...probably only games which were designed with in-game XMB in mind.

Also, this guy looks sleepy, especially when you pause the video.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-walkthrough-part-2-trophies/ (trophy Walkthrough)
    Trophies
    4 Trophy types: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum
    Bronze trophies are the easiest to get, Silver is harder to get, Gold is the hardest, Platinum is only awarded when you have obtained all the other trophies in a game
    Each user will have a PSN "Profile" that keeps track of your trophies
    Each trophy type has a different value that goes towards your Profile's gamer "level" (Bronze adds less points than Silver, Silver adds less points than Gold, Platinum adds a significant amount of points towards reaching the next gamer level)
    All games will have restrictions on how many trophies they can offer (small scale games will offer less trophies than large scale games) and some games will have restrictions on what type of trophies they can offer (no Platinum Trophies in small scale games)
    Trophies can be viewed in the XMB
    Trophies can be locked by the developer just like Secret Achievements
    Trophies can be compared to friends trophies via the XMB
    Games will need to be patched to support Trophies (SSHD will have a patch hours after 2.4 is released)
    Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data
    First party games confirmed to include Trophy support:
    * BUZZ! Quiz TV
    * LittleBigPlanet
    * MotorStorm Pacific Rift
    * NBA 09 - PS3
    * PAIN
    * PixelJunk Eden
    * Resistance 2
    * SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
    * Warhawk

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    trophy_en.jpg

trophy001.jpg

trophy002.jpg

Bamelin on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Trophies
    Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data

Grrr...I knew it would be a lot to ask for, but at least maybe some of the first-party games will still be able to (like Ratchet and Clank, which had some achievement-like goals).

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    is it sad i really want some of those (obviously non-existant, testing-only) games

yesss the world story this week confirmed

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    july 2nd holy moly

that video with the in game xmb is hot. im still vaguely hoping for being able to stream mp3s instead of having to have them on your HDD, but the guy did mention having them on your HDD in the video so i dunno. either way its way better than nothing.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    july 2nd holy moly

that video with the in game xmb is hot. im still vaguely hoping for being able to stream mp3s instead of having to have them on your HDD, but the guy did mention having them on your HDD in the video so i dunno. either way its way better than nothing.

Yeah, I know MLB 08 (The Show) has custom soundtracks, but it only works from MP3s on your HDD, and you have to set up a playlist or some malarkey. But it's better than nothing, I suppose.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    July 2nd?

Sony... producing bullshit free communication for something that's due within the week?

Did they collaborate with Blizzard for the whole hell-frozen-over thing, or what?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Taken from GAF:
    What we know is in 2.4:

In-Game XMB

* In-Game XMB displays everything that's in the XMB, some functions (playing a video, slideshow, voice chat, etc.) require the you to exit the In Game XMB and use the regular XMB
    * Custom Soundtracks for supported games (released games must be patched to support the feature)
    * Music player controls for Custom Soundtracks
    * Full access to the Friend List/Inbox
    * Access to the Accessory Settings
    * Ability to launch into a different game while playing a game
    * Runs as smooth as the regular XMB
    * The old PS button menu (Controller Settings, Shut Off System/Controller) can be accessed by holding the PS button for a couple of seconds instead of tapping the button.

Trophies

* 4 Trophy types: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum
    * Bronze trophies are the easiest to get, Silver is harder to get, Gold is the hardest, Platinum is only awarded when you have obtained all the other trophies in a game
    * Each user will have a PSN "Profile" that keeps track of your trophies
    * Each trophy type has a different value that goes towards your Profile's gamer "level" (Bronze adds less points than Silver, Silver adds less points than Gold, Platinum adds a significant amount of points towards reaching the next gamer level)
    * All games will have restrictions on how many trophies they can offer (small scale games will offer less trophies than large scale games) and some games will have restrictions on what type of trophies they can offer (no Platinum Trophies in small scale games)
    * Trophies can be viewed in the XMB
    * Trophies can be locked by the developer just like Secret Achievements
    * Trophies can be compared to friends trophies via the XMB
    * Games will need to be patched to support Trophies (SSHD will have a patch hours after 2.4 is released)
    * Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data
    * First party games confirmed to include Trophy support:
    * BUZZ! Quiz TV
    * LittleBigPlanet
    * MotorStorm Pacific Rift
    * NBA 09 - PS3
    * PAIN
    * PixelJunk Eden
    * Resistance 2
    * SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
    * Warhawk

Misc.

* Google Search added to XMB
    * Music player controls added to XMB
    * Date & Clock added to XMB

No In-Game XMB Voice Chat
    Quote:
    No longer do you have to quit the game in order to check a friend's message. You can add friends, check and send messages, and adjust Bluetooth settings on the fly. However, you won't be able to initiate a voice chat.
    Custom Soundtracks will require patch
    Quote:
    You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature. Unfortunately, no games will be able to take advantage of in-game custom soundtracks when the firmware update goes live. (However, future games and game patches can enable this feature. It depends on whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their game.)
    No Retroactive Trophy Support
    Quote:
    Developers will have to choose whether or not to include trophy support. However, if any previously released titles get patched (a la Super Stardust HD), players must essentially start anew to get any trophies. Trophies will not be retroactively awarded based on save data.

I was afraid it would happen, but it looks like custom soundtracks will only be supported in games that are patched or if the developer allows it. That's very disappointing, as I'm sure certain developers will be too lazy to patch an existing game (Capcom) or refuse to let people change the soundtrack they intended for their game (Square).

Also, it sounds like the in-game XMB will not work at all for PS1 or PS2 games (supposedly it's planned for movies), which means no custom soundtracks for it either.

A solid update otherwise, but the music issue still bugs me. :(

I do find it very amusing that they've taken an RPG-style leveling system for Trophies, but frankly I find that an improvement over the point system used for Achievements. I'd sooner show respect to someone at Level 50 over some douche who rented Avatar to get a thousand points in under five minutes.

• Options
    edited June 2008
    man, i hope thats not true about the custom soundtracks having to be patched in :(

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was afraid it would happen, but it looks like custom soundtracks will only be supported in games that are patched or if the developer allows it. That's very disappointing, as I'm sure certain developers will be too lazy to patch an existing game (Capcom) or refuse to let people change the soundtrack they intended for their game (Square).

Also, it sounds like the in-game XMB will not work at all for PS1 or PS2 games (supposedly it's planned for movies), which means no custom soundtracks for it either.

A solid update otherwise, but the music issue still bugs me. :(

I do find it very amusing that they've taken an RPG-style leveling system for Trophies, but frankly I find that an improvement over the point system used for Achievements. I'd sooner show respect to someone at Level 50 over some douche who rented Avatar to get a thousand points in under five minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be very wrong, but it seems like the "custom soundtracks" wouldn't really need a patch from most games at all. The way it sounds on the thing, the game just has to have a "mute in game music" option, which a lot of games already have anyway. The in game music doesn't replace the game music or anything, so no coding is needed there. It just straight out plays. So basically I would think it'd work on any game that has an option to mute the music in the game but not the sound effects.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i could see it needing a patch depending on how much of the system resources it uses up to play the mp3s. games might need to free up some memory for it i dunno.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hence why I doubt many Japanese developers will bother to go back and make the necessary patching, which stinks since it's usually the Japanese titles that I want to use custom soundtracks for the most (DMC4, NGS).

• Options
    edited June 2008
    im going to be really mad if custom soundtracks finally get added and then developers dont utilize them ever

but im still optimistic at this point

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    trophy002.jpg

What is that Travel the Solar System? Is that just some placeholder to show off the trophy system? If it's real, that would be cool, because I love me space exploration games. :D

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, 2.40 is hitting the USA on the 2nd of July... is it worldwide though? I'll be kind of miffed if I discover Europe gets it a month or more later.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Another post from GAF:
    I posted this in the other thread but may as well post it here too.

Even the major news sites are reporting false info.

You WILL have custom soundtracks on July 2nd.

Games DO NOT have to be patched in order to utilize basic custom soundtrack features.

Games DO have to be patched for custom soundtracks that are context sensitive.

The only thing I don't know is if it works in every game.

Don't know if it's a credible poster, but it sort of makes sense. I think he's saying that the custom soundtrack feature will work with every game, but it won't replace the in-game audio if the game isn't patched for it.

Edit: Turns out he was a dev for MLB '08. Why they waste their time on a board like GAF, I'll never know.

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Another post from GAF:
    I posted this in the other thread but may as well post it here too.

Even the major news sites are reporting false info.

You WILL have custom soundtracks on July 2nd.

Games DO NOT have to be patched in order to utilize basic custom soundtrack features.

Games DO have to be patched for custom soundtracks that are context sensitive.

The only thing I don't know is if it works in every game.

Don't know if it's a credible poster, but it sort of makes sense. I think he's saying that the custom soundtrack feature will work with every game, but it won't replace the in-game audio if the game isn't patched for it.

Edit: Turns out he was a dev for MLB '08. Why they waste their time on a board like GAF, I'll never know.

That's what I just said. If you watch the video, in game music is nothing more than an XMB music player that just plays music. If the game has the ability to turn off its own soundtrack, well then you have in game music.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait.. is that the total list of games? I am VERY surprised that GTA IV can't factor into the trophy system.... I can picture a bunch of other games that I have (UNCHARTED!?!) that would be great..

unless these trophies are completely seperate from achievements ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I would think they would at least get multiplatform games to add the same number of achievements as Xbox Live, only using the Trophy point system.

• Options
    edited June 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    wait.. is that the total list of games? I am VERY surprised that GTA IV can't factor into the trophy system.... I can picture a bunch of other games that I have (UNCHARTED!?!) that would be great..

unless these trophies are completely seperate from achievements ?

The games listed so far are just first party, I believe. I don't think Sony has the authority to announce things for other game companies. They'll have to announce compatibility themselves.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's good to see them finally adding this stuff. I'll be happy to take advantage of it when I pick up a PS3 later next month. Why they didn't do this two goddamned years ago I have no idea, but better late than never.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man, capcom will never patch dmc4. Blah.

Morninglord on