Options

PS3 Firmware Wishlist (In-Game+More Confirmed in 2.40 Update)

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I do find it very amusing that they've taken an RPG-style leveling system for Trophies, but frankly I find that an improvement over the point system used for Achievements. I'd sooner show respect to someone at Level 50 over some douche who rented Avatar to get a thousand points in under five minutes.

Why not? I mean these are still the same developers. So instead of a douche that got 1000 gamer points in under 5 minutes, you get a douche who gained the experience/levels in the same amount of time. A lazy developer isn't going to be any less lazy when dealing with this system.

Aoi on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    wait.. is that the total list of games? I am VERY surprised that GTA IV can't factor into the trophy system.... I can picture a bunch of other games that I have (UNCHARTED!?!) that would be great..

unless these trophies are completely seperate from achievements ?

I remember Rockstar saying something about GTA IV fully supporting Home when it eventually arrives, and from what I can gather trophies are a big part of Home.
    If that's true I would expect GTA to be patched for trophies pretty soon.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    So, 2.40 is hitting the USA on the 2nd of July... is it worldwide though? I'll be kind of miffed if I discover Europe gets it a month or more later.

firmware always releases universally

and i'm pretty sure a lot of that gaf 'feature list' was made up from a psfanboy link wih some older / incomplete details. the way it's used in the video it's almost a sure-thing that you'll be able to play your own music in any game that supports the xmb: as it stands any game can use custom soundtracks if it's explicitly patched in - that's been the case since pretty much launch. see sshd, mlb, bowling etc.

i'm sure it'll just be a matter of muting the sound and piping the second 'layer' of music over the top. there's no patching to be done.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So if the games I like get trophies, I have to play through the games again to get any?

I don't know how I feel about this.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    So if the games I like get trophies, I have to play through the games again to get any?

Come. Join me in the land of apathy. Don't let it take you over, man. Enjoy the feature, but don't let it make you all obsessive-like.

Aoi on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aoi wrote: »

Come. Join me in the land of apathy. Don't let it take you over, man. Enjoy the feature, but don't let it make you all obsessive-like.

My gf played Lair and got into the top 100. Considering how terrible that game is, has its own trophy system, and it's first party...well, she's not very pleased right now with non-retroactive recognition. I can sympathize with her somewhat because I guess I'll be playing through Uncharted again. Except Uncharted is fun.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty damn sure I wont be getting any trophies in DMC4 that involve not having all your skills because fuck that shit. I'll go without.

I'll happily replay gta iv though, it's great.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The smart thing to do would be to add new challenges for Trophies aside from what's already hard wired into the game, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Also, I'm hoping Uncharted will be one of the first games to have the Trophy feature come update day, since I just ordered it off Ebay for a cool $35.

Sony just released a FAQ for 2.40: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-faq/

In short, I'm real disappointed at the custom soundtrack feature. It won't work with every game, you can't stream the music from your PC, and it'll probably never work for PS1/PS2 games. I also thought the internet browser could be used while a game is running, as the video showed.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yeah, it's a bit stupid

oh well! i can't wait to check it out. new firmware's always fun to muck around with

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

In short, I'm real disappointed at the custom soundtrack feature. It won't work with every game, you can't stream the music from your PC, and it'll probably never work for PS1/PS2 games. I also thought the internet browser could be used while a game is running, as the video showed.

Yeah, you're not the only one...it's even been further clarified...I was holding out some bit of hope until I saw this in the comments section:
    It won’t even be an option if it’s not patched. If you try to select the music, you’ll be prompted to quit the game.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    after reading the blog notes.. its seems that 2.40 is just the framework for the neat stuff. 2.41+ is when the magic happens.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This wouldn't be happening in a world without EQ and WoW.

Now we grind in single player games for experience points that aren't even part of the game.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Trophies will be retroactive for at least one game (Burnout Paradise):
    * Trophies will be awarded based on your progress in your existing save game - so, when the update arrives the trophies you have earned will reflect the progress you've made in the game at that time (so you won't have to replay the game again to earn trophies)*

* We can reveal that this is why your Burnout Paradise save game has always been locked to your PlayStation Network id - so we could guarantee that when PlayStation Trophies arrived that your save game would reflect your progress.

Come to think of it....aren't GTA4's saves somehow linked to your ID, considering it shows your progress on the Rockstar Social Club site?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Now we grind in single player games for experience points that aren't even part of the game.

Heh, ever watch King of Kong? Even in the old school games, it was all about the high score. Hell, it was more about grinding than most games today. I mean good god man, Pokemon, the chocobo breeding in Final Fantasy 7 just to get stuff like Knights of the Round. It's all over the place in gaming and has been in some for or another for ages. Trophies, high scores, all that. It's all about the wang swinging.

Aoi on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

* We can reveal that this is why your Burnout Paradise save game has always been locked to your PlayStation Network id - so we could guarantee that when PlayStation Trophies arrived that your save game would reflect your progress.

Come to think of it....aren't GTA4's saves somehow linked to your ID, considering it shows your progress on the Rockstar Social Club site?

By locked to you your ID. They mean you aren't allowed to copy your save game and give it to someone else. It only works on your profile. (Some game saves are locked some aren't, its up to the developer)

GTA saves are linked because you input your psn id at their website, its a different thing altogether.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    greeble wrote: »

By locked to you your ID. They mean you aren't allowed to copy your save game and give it to someone else. It only works on your profile. (Some game saves are locked some aren't, its up to the developer)

GTA saves are linked because you input your psn id at their website, its a different thing altogether.

Well, I didn't realize that Paradise's were locked and not able to be shared until now. Something tells me that GTA4's saves should have been locked the same way, because on the Social Club, they were giving a gift for 100% completion in a certain amount of time...*shrug*

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You speak as if without those games people wouldn't invent similar timeusing past-times to hook others and themselves. This is tremendously naive. People were doing timewasting entertainments well before eq and wow.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Heh, ever watch King of Kong? Even in the old school games, it was all about the high score. Hell, it was more about grinding than most games today. I mean good god man, Pokemon, the chocobo breeding in Final Fantasy 7 just to get stuff like Knights of the Round. It's all over the place in gaming and has been in some for or another for ages. Trophies, high scores, all that. It's all about the wang swinging.

Hmm, fair enough. :)

I will revise my thesis then to suggest that MMOs have made it even more prevalent.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    More like they brought the phenomenon to the forefront of your mind so now you see it everywhere even though it used to be there already anyway.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PlayStation Network director of operations Eric Lempel tells Next-Gen why PS3 firmware update 2.40 represents a significant step forward for Sony’s online service, why it’s taken so long to deliver some of gamers’ most requested features, and why some are still absent.

Sony’s late-June announcement that it would imminently be releasing PlayStation 3 firmware update 2.40, which would introduce the much sought after in-game access to the system’s XrossMediaBar (XMB) and a Trophies achievement system, immediately delighted some gamers, while prompting questions from others – would all their desires be met by the new feature-set and how greatly would the update help narrow the gap that many feel exists between the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live?

“We’ve delivered a lot of firmware updates to date, but this latest one is really significant in that it plays to a lot of the features that consumers have been asking for and really enhances the overall gaming experience,” says Lempel. “We definitely consider this a big deal and a big leap forward for the service.”

So what’s this significant update all about then? Preceding its Wednesday launch, Lempel released a firmware FAQ via the PlayStation Blog which detailed some of the features, as well as non-features, of version 2.40, and in the process dealt gamers some good news as well as spelling out a few home truths: Sony delivers features only when they are good and ready to go and not before. But is this a big leap forward, or baby steps?

Post-update (and we’re skipping some of the new features here), the new in-game XMB will support text chat (but won’t enable voice chat), users will be able to adjust sound settings in-game (but will be unable to make changes to visual settings), the in-game XMB will be accessible while playing PS3 titles (but not while playing PS2 games or while watching Blu-ray/DVD movies), and users will be able to view downloads in progress while playing a game (but won’t be able to browse the Internet or access the PlayStation Store in-game). Perhaps the biggest gripe users have expressed at this stage is that the update won’t enable cross-game invites.

The area in which the update could provide the greatest freshness and prove to be most successful is perhaps the Trophies department. Even some of those without a predilection for score-whoring have experienced the warm sense of achievement upon being awarded for their gaming efforts. For the meantime, Trophies will have to sit snugly on the XMB, but when Home is finally released they will no doubt adorn countless mantelpieces.

Lempel told Next-Gen that while Sony will be wholeheartedly promoting the system going forward, it will also be patching a number of older titles to include Trophy support. The feature won’t be retroactive though, so the firmware update and subsequent patches won’t automatically allocate unlocked Trophies according to saved files, meaning gamers will have to go back to older titles for another run through in order to earn some of their silverware.

“Right off the bat when the firmware update goes live we’ll be patching Super Stardust HD, so that game will include Trophies from Wednesday. We’re also patching Warhawk and PAIN, while Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, a completely offline title, will also be patched over the network, so it’s definitely an option for developers and we’re fully supporting first and third parties that want to patch, and of course those that want to implement this system going forward with new titles.”

Undeniably there are some significant improvements on offer and 2.40 is a great update for PS3, but there’s also a definite sense that some gamers were hoping for more. It’s disheartening to constantly be comparing the PlayStation Network with Xbox Live because Microsoft has undeniably set the benchmark extremely high in many respects, but Lempel himself acknowledges that there’s work still to be done after 2.40.

“There are a lot of features that are still part of our roadmap. When we release new features we want to make sure that we have a baseline set of features to put out there and that they work properly. We feel that these new features are ready and that they offer consumers a great advantage over what they have today.

“However, we’re not going to stop enhancing the features. Every time we do a firmware update we enhance old features as well as providing new features, so we’re taking a lot of the feedback very seriously. Going into this we knew there were some things that wouldn’t make it but there’s always time to fix those and get them in, but in the meantime this should keep consumers satisfied for some time.”

While gamers are a hard bunch to please, some will be satisfied with the update, but some will only be partially satisfied with it. We asked why it had taken Sony so long to implement in-game XMB access and an achievements system.

“Some of the [features] people have been requesting for some time, some of them are a bit newer. We have a roadmap and there were a lot of other things on the roadmap that we had to deliver prior to these features,” Lempel said.

“The other thing is that we don’t release anything until it’s ready to go, until we have a strong program behind it and strong support, and until it offers a strong consumer experience. We hit that point a few weeks ago and realized that we were ready to go, so we scheduled the update and here we are now.”

On the subject of rumors that Sony is preparing to unveil its answer to Xbox Originals by releasing PS2 titles over the PlayStation Network, Lempel simply offered, “It was news to me when I read about it." He was, however, happy to talk about boosting the range of gaming content available from the PlayStation Store, and while keen not to dwell on the strategies adopted by Sony’s competitors, he did take a thinly veiled swipe at Microsoft following the company’s admission that it was planning to delist underperforming Xbox Live Arcade titles in order to avoid cluttering its online service.

“We definitely want to make sure that [the PlayStation Store] offers quality titles and games that our consumers are going to enjoy just like we do with our console and disc-based titles, and I think there’s a lot of room with virtual shelf space to put a lot of things. Depending on what type of UI you have you can accommodate a lot of titles, and specifically with our new store redesign which launched back in April we have a great ability to merchandise a wide variety of titles.

“While naturally we only want to keep quality titles on the network we do have room for a lot of them. I think if I look over at the competitors’ UI they may have some issues just displaying content, and scrolling up and down lists isn’t the easiest way to find things."

Lempel was also keen to stress that Sony wouldn’t be going down the route of charging a subscription fee for the PSN.

“We’re happy with what we’re doing right now and we’re going to stick with it,” he stated. “I think being free is always an advantage. The fact that it’s free is nice for consumers who want to try out the online experience, those who may be new to it and may not be ready to commit to spending dollars, and that’s a really good message for us. Being free also gives them the opportunity to spend the money that they may have spent on a subscription on online items or online games instead. We have a ton of games for the price of a subscription and offer a significant amount of great original content that you can’t get anywhere else.”

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11182&Itemid=2

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    apparently the new firmware is up now

i'm at work noooo

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to download asap

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    just finished watching a dvd and hey, new firmware is live

downloading now!

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    got the fw ... on a 40gb unit .. no bricking here.

But when i tried to update my Super Stardust HD (my only current trophy game) to 4.00, the ps3 reboots during the download. No matter how many times i try :(

But, the clock is nice :)

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    got the fw ... on a 40gb unit .. no bricking here.

But when i tried to update my Super Stardust HD (my only current trophy game) to 4.00, the ps3 reboots during the download. No matter how many times i try :(

But, the clock is nice :)

It did it for me at least once but I tried once more and it's working fine now, maybe to many people were trying to download it.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    this was @ 7:45 am EST ... i guess its possible, but i don't see it getting better later on today.. And if it can't connect to the download server, etc, the ps3 reboots ? I think there needs to be an error message there instead.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So are the PS3 Trophies the same as the 360 Achievements for Burnout? Any idea when will they patch in the trophies?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this was @ 7:45 am EST ... i guess its possible, but i don't see it getting better later on today.. And if it can't connect to the download server, etc, the ps3 reboots ? I think there needs to be an error message there instead.

nope it just gave me an error message that download failed, my ps3 didn't reboot

strange.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    super stardust rebooted my system when it tried to update earlier, too. weird.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'll bring the torches. You bring the fire. Tonight, we march.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So is the update not live?
    Because I just tried to update and it told me I already had the latest version. I know I didn't update yesterday since I didn't even have the power on my PS3 on.

Invisible on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Invisible wrote: »
    Because I just tried to update and it told me I already had the latest version. I know I didn't update yesterday since I didn't even have the power on my PS3 on.

They pulled it because it was bricking a small percentage of systems, necessitating formatting the hard drive.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Invisible wrote: »

Sony pulled the update due to some issues people have had. the majority are fine, but since a portion of those are bricking the ps3.. they pulled it.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't really think it's bricking it if you only need to format but that's semantics.

Bricking is the hardware frying on you so the console can't ever function again.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    im sad that i couldnt get my super stardust updated before they pulled the patch :(

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I haven't been able to sign in since I updated to 2.4, but this doesn't overly bother me, I usually don't update system firmware straight away because I am lazy so I'm used to it. It's annoying that all the games keep telling you every time you start them up though.

It's like, I know, shutup and go away.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't really think it's bricking it if you only need to format but that's semantics.

Bricking is the hardware frying on you so the console can't ever function again.

After the patch was applied to my console I was given a wonderful "Could not locate virtual disk" message or something along those lines.

The PS3 then asked if it should attempt to reconstruct said virtual disk which would immediately lead to yet another error with the only solution of a complete format.

Thank god Game FAQs has downloadable saves in PS3 virtual memory card format.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »

After the patch was applied to my console I was given a wonderful "Could not locate virtual disk" message or something along those lines.

The PS3 then asked if it should attempt to reconstruct said virtual disk which would immediately lead to yet another error with the only solution of a complete format.

Thank god Game FAQs has downloadable saves in PS3 virtual memory card format.

I'm not sure what this reply is meant to indicate.

You didn't brick your console, because you could format it and continue using it. It's akin to a critical computer crash. There is no world in which you can logically say you bricked your ps3 through this update.
    You can say you crashed your os which required a full format of the HDD.

Like I said it's semantics, I'm just pedantic sometimes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it still sucks though

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Course it sucks. Why does emotion and logic get completely entangled in any discussion surrounding consoles? Seriously.

Morninglord on