Options

PS3 Firmware Wishlist (In-Game+More Confirmed in 2.40 Update)

1235»

• Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »
    I don't really think it's bricking it if you only need to format but that's semantics.

Bricking is the hardware frying on you so the console can't ever function again.

After the patch was applied to my console I was given a wonderful "Could not locate virtual disk" message or something along those lines.

The PS3 then asked if it should attempt to reconstruct said virtual disk which would immediately lead to yet another error with the only solution of a complete format.

Thank god Game FAQs has downloadable saves in PS3 virtual memory card format.

I'm not sure what this reply is meant to indicate.

Oh I know its not a brick, I'm just throwing personal experience up here in case anyone encounters the same problem and cant figure out what it is. :P
    Also fo shits and giggles

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh well I thought you were quoting me for some reason I couldn't work out. That makes more sense.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So is the update back up yet? Is it saaaaaaaaaafe for me to update my PS3 yet?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DuressDuress Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »
    I don't really think it's bricking it if you only need to format but that's semantics.

Bricking is the hardware frying on you so the console can't ever function again.

After the patch was applied to my console I was given a wonderful "Could not locate virtual disk" message or something along those lines.

The PS3 then asked if it should attempt to reconstruct said virtual disk which would immediately lead to yet another error with the only solution of a complete format.

Thank god Game FAQs has downloadable saves in PS3 virtual memory card format.

Mine did the same thing. I didn't reformat, restarted my ps3, and now I can play like normal with in game xmb. Just something worth trying out since it worked for me.

Duress on
    prodeath.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One thing i've noticed is that i'm getting the "you have been signed out from psn" thing message quite often with 2.4. I just sign back in though, bit odd. It's not every 5 minutes.. i'd say.. once an hour or so.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just can't sign in at all. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Duress wrote: »
    Mine did the same thing. I didn't reformat, restarted my ps3, and now I can play like normal with in game xmb. Just something worth trying out since it worked for me.

I tried the same thing, however the ps3 would only boot up about 50% of the time and would only recognize ps2 and ps1 games.

Then it finally degenerated to 100% failure rate before I had the chance to back up any of my data :|

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there any specualtion as to when they will have the update availale again?

I needs me my trophies. :(

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i keep looking at my empty trophy collection, and everyone else's empty trophy card things

i feel a burning need to get some trophies already dammit.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was away when the update was available.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    you can download it from places still, if you wanna roll the dice. all i can say is it worked fine for me.

edit: here be links. i recommend backing up your saves if youre going to attempt it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    LordOfTheDestructLordOfTheDestruct Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's pretty unfortunate, but even more unfortunate that Sony didn't, at least, let other users have the opportunity to get the update for a few more days. Hopefully, they'll give us the chance to update again soon.

LordOfTheDestruct on
    Gamertag: H4PH4Z4RD
    PSN: LordOfDestruct

Add me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    if youve got a thumbdrive you can still download it from that link and give it a shot

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I always get paranoid about the odds. one out of 800 got bricked. But what if I am that one guy?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    if it fucks you up in this particular instance all you have to do is reformat the HDD and youll be fine. if youre comfortable with taking out the HDD and reformatting it then yknow. no permanent hardware destruction or anything. like i said, back up your saves first :)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I downloaded the file and tranfered it to my SD card and then my PS3....what now?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks but I got it. Its working!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I also just tried to update my PS3's software using that method... and it worked, very successfully! So, I thank you, Ah_Pook, for your help.

LordOfTheDestruct on

Add me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The only dissapointment now is the fact that there aren't any trophies now. Maybe later.

LordOfTheDestruct on

Add me.
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just wanted to say thanks Pook for the links!

dantree on
    psn: dantree