Options

WCK's Drawings - The Good, the Bad and the Badass

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been giving landscape type drawings/paintings a go. Here are two thumbnails.

behag9.jpg
    i372p2.jpg
    33e0qrr.jpg

It's inspired by Sleeping Beauty and Majoras Mask.
    ek5xz.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    SodanSodan Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    wow you made 0.5 inch black outlines for everything o_O

Sodan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sodan wrote: »
    wow you made 0.5 inch black outlines for everything o_O

Yeah, that's the way i do my thumbnails, probably not the best method as others might not understand it. If i where to do it for real, I would definately not use a '0.5' INCH black outline on everything.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    SodanSodan Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I was taling about this:
    bsp1.jpg

or this:
    bsp2.jpg

I think you should 'nt define objects with black outlines as big and striking like this.

BTW: Thats what she said :
    it helps not to draw outlines of things, but rather to define it with light and dark. That way you're looking more at the shapes instead of just the envelope of things.

Sodan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EDIT: FOrget this idea. I'll just stick to my sketch pad.
    While doing those Andrew Loomis books, i am to also going to do one detailed, full illustration a week. I have a composition worked out. Going to do it digital.
    He're is a thumbnail of what im gonna paint. Will be good practice before i do the Simon Scales workshop in January.

9bdvmh.jpg

Rough colour overlay to give a better idea of what im planning to do.

2qcge88.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ok, i've been a bit slack the last week. lazyness and sickness. here are a few pages from my sketchbook.

29w38np.jpg1hqole.jpg
    315ilnr.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Done my drawing for the night. Sleep...

20fuo84.jpg

ev6znm.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Some stuff did today. Looking at some figure drawing by Ron Lemen.

1zzp7c1.jpg

286ybg4.jpg

24glg81.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My God, why hasn't anyone else commented on this? The improvement in these last two updates is immense!

That said, your noses definately need some work, they consistently look flat.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    At least it's consistant... right?

You can probably notice a lot of my faces, even though they are built up from shapes, still look shit. I obviously still don't understand how to build them up propery, but hopefully i will get it soon with practice.

Cheers for the encouraging comment mate!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, look at these latest ones compared to your earlier ones; they're well defined even if they aren't amazing or "perfect" looking yet. You're on the right path to that, it just comes with time and practice.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    You're doing a lot better with the eyes in the last one. Honestly, a good way to get better at faces is to shunt a mirror in front of you. Start with line drawings and just try and make a geometric form that properly measures your face. Then try that again but move into a contor drawing. Then light your face a few different ways, and block it out.

Its tedious but it helped me alot, its pretty much all I did freshman year.

Iruka on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you haven't seen this guy before, you might get some inspiration from him.

Keep on pumping these drawings out and for god sake buy this book!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    If you haven't seen this guy before, you might get some inspiration from him.

Geez. You can really see the improvement throughout each of the years.

Thanks for the advice.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I met that MindCandyMan guy about a year after he started that thread, and talking to him made me want to start my own sketchbook thread on CA.org but unfortunately I failed to keep updating it.

Your work is looking good man, but don't just practice the structure. It is important to apply that structure to actual drawings of the figure/face to fully understand its purpose.

Also:

rts on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Your sketchbook looks awesome dude!

Some more i did tonight...

2hda9ug.jpg
    39hn9.jpg
    2j4dh0l.jpg
    2isjexx.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey fellas. Ok, it's my mates birthday this saturday (20th) and want to do him a painting of Michael Jackson. He loves the guy. Anyway, i was planning on giving him this... *shivers*
    fcv341.jpg

Anyway i painted that a few months ago, and i'm pretty confident i can do something better (and less embaressing) So this is my latest sketch im working on, and am planning on doing the final with acrylics on masonite board.

I'm happy with composition, but if anyone has advice on what i need to fix (proportions, lines whatever) that'd be awesome. Any ideas on what i can do to make it easily recognisable as MJ right away?

Cheers dudes!

2m3ixk2.jpg

EDIT: Colour rough if it helps...

2yvmmgj.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Decided to go ahead with my painting. Heres it so far. Next to it is my old one.
    Taken with my mobile so a bit dodgy...

24opziu.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously, MJ would have to be the worst person to practice your drawing skills on, for the simple reason that it will always looked like you've made impossible anatomical mistakes.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Haha. true. I made sure my reference images where from photo shoots from one particular era. in this case, around the time of his 'Bad' album.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    2:00 AM. Im done for the night. Final update... think the painting so far looks ok for 4 hours work

His skin aint really pink, thats my phone camera doing it :)
    21bq61i.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Update...

4u6icn.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    New update. Spot the difference!
    Gonna leave his face tone, and start working on the eyes. havnt touched them since i blcoked them in. Feel free to leave any advice, crits, general opinions etc. I promise i wont bite... hard.

24v6v5z.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cleaned the background up and added a rimlight for the hair?

Make sure you dull the whites of the eyes real quick, the name is misleading...they are never actually white.

rts on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah the highlights on the hair did a lot to improve the over all quality of the picture.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, i think, although unrealistic, it gives it a bit more form. Cheers for advice/comments fellas.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As robots said, MJ's face is so fucked up it's hard to give crits, what looks wrong is probably spot on.

The only thing I will say is that the ear looks very 2 dimensional, might want to revisit that after your finished with the eyes.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Update of MJ

I just made it black and white because my phone doesnt take good quality photos at night, under my bedroom light, making the colours look all bright.

Left, process from last night, right my latest progress

tamr7a.jpg

got 2 days to make it look half decent.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    could you post the reference?.. I have a critique that would be easier to explain with a paintover...

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The right eye (his left) seems much larger than it should be... and possibly not even in the right place to begin with.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Nappuccino, that eye has really been pissing me off :)

Kendeathwalker - Heres a colour image of the latest progress, plus the main reference image. I've wanted to change a few things in terms of lighting. If you have time for a paintover that'd be awesome.
    wv8ft0.jpg

2l91std.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    WCK- Went a little overboard and took it past my initial intention of just pointing out a few anatomy errors.
    .. this is still very rough tho...

going to spoiler so this doesnt threadjack
    wv8ft0copy.jpg

I myself am not very comfortable changing the lighting from my reference. If I have to do so I usually go find my famous person reference.. then shoot myself with the lighting I want and even then.. Its a fucking bitch.

Ill explain a few of the decisions I made.

The lighter green background - His hair is a silohette in the picture, no need to render it and it really frames his face nicely. With your dark background the hair was getting lost, so you solved that by attempting to render the hair from imagination. A fairly challenging thing to do. You can save yourself alot of trouble painting by describing the silohettes of shapes with value differences between the big shapes in your paintings, then in the important areas coming in and rendering within the value range of that shape to create more interest. That was another one of your issues. You were traversing the entire value scale on every shape you were rendering. For example he has a dark jacket on. The lightest highlight on that dark jacket is propably going to be a darker value than most of the values in the face. Does that make sense?

I started correcting some of the facial structure as well. --thats a lot harder to explain than value.. its just going to take a lot of practice and time. You already know how to go about improving anatomy im sure..

I introduced a little pattern to just because it creates more interest, a bit arbitrary

Dropped a cast shadow from the hat.. and just realized I forgot to include the ear.

other than anatomical mistakes your biggest problem really is just seeing value relationships.. When you compare my version with yours can you see how in mine the lightest value on his face is the highlight on his nose? Can you see the whites of his eyes arent really white? Do see the difference in the value relationships on your nose and the one in mine? In yours youve exaggerated the darker tone on the nostril so that it changes the shape of the nose?

A main cause of this exaggeration is to focus to intently on a certain area and your eyes will begin to exaggerate the relation ship. Look at that value on the side of his nose in yours and compare it to some of the values Under his chin on his neck. Its about the same.

I struggled with seeing values for a very very long time.

If any of this sounds smug or condescending I apologize, Im really just trying to help. Hope some of this did..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Kendeathwalker. I'll see what i can come up with tonight.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Last update. Plan on spending another 3 hours on it tonight, and hopefully i'll have it at a stage where i can call it quits. Thanks again Kwalker, although its not turning out as i'd like it to, your paintover helped me to see where my errors are. Especially the eyes!

142wyeb.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I don't understand your decision to stick with the dark background. His hair is almost as Iconic as his fucked up face. Keeping the background at that value makes it so that the hair falls away into the background.. I dont think the rim lights have the same impact of describing the shape of the hair that raising the value of the bg would.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I was working on it last night and i brightened up the background, mainly around 'his' left side. I still kept it purple/blue in colour because i was wanting it to kinda resemble the film clip.

EDIT: BTW, gonna work on it some more this afternoon

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh well finished. Its outside drying in the sun right now!

I'm giving it to my mate tonight. Hopefully he thinks it's cool. He thinks my other stuff looks cool, and let's be honest. It all sucks. Anyway, as long as he doesn't say "hey, this is really cool... who's it meant to be?" then all is good.

Tones in face are still flat, but im gonna leave it as ive just been going around in circles.
    Crits still welcome.

i3ykh1.jpg

EDIT: Final scanned. Kinda came out muddy so tried to edit in photoshop to look as much like the orginal as posible.

9qbmeq.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it's pretty good.

Now paint a human being.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Who could possibly be more human than Michael Jackson?

BTW the dude i gave it to loved it, and so did my other friends. Haha. None of them draw at all, so they're amazed at anything i do!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it's pretty good.

Now paint a human being.

I concur, I think that's by far your best bit of art yet.

Mustang on