As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WCK's Drawings - The Good, the Bad and the Badass

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks DR and Mustang.
    After a week off i'm now back on those Loomis books...oh god.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's actually not bad, aside from his nose.
    I know it's michael jackson, but his nostrils still don't make much sense.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Going to do a few digital paintings before i start my workshop with simon scales. Heres a new pic im working on.
    Idea is that it's an image promoting Conan O'briens switch to the Tonight Show. And he is the 'New King (Queen) of Late Night T.v.
    fvjyip.jpg

EDIT: Also, i used a leonardo davinci painting as a basis of my composition. Totally ripped off, but i call it 'homage' :)
    2w72ru0.jpg

EDIT: UPDATE

20fp8yg.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just blocked in the colours using a 'Color' layer placed over the top of my greyscale tones. this is a good technique for those that arent too good with colour. as it is, it looks shit, but at least it gives you somewhere to start. Currently painting over the entire thing, mixing colours as i go

1j24aa.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    2e3wk1l.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    look at shoes

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, starting a new painting. decided to paint Harley Quinn from the Batman comics. I wanted to do a painting with a lot of dark areas agains high contrast colours. ATM working on refining the sketch and have done a dodgy water colour test. planning on doing it with acrylics on masonite board.

2zoj1g8.jpg

I know, the pose is very generic, and doesnt really illustrate her personality, but my plan is to do a detailed background with to make up for it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My main issue is that it looks like a dude with fake tits. Your shoulder to hip ratio is pretty bad for creating a female, and you made her quite muscular.

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You're right. Time to start over... :rotate:

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok. so started a new sketch. here it is.
    It's amazing the difference in quality when i don't rush something.
    30c9jjb.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey man, I would think a little more about the gesture, and really pushing the feminine type. I think your new sketch is a strong improvement, but I still feel you could push it further. I did a little digital sketch here to kind of show you what I am thinking. Sorry it is so sloppy, I really struggle with digital.

NSFW
    wckharl.jpg

The breasts in your drawing are a little large overall, and the one furthest from us is slightly larger than the one that is closer. Your shoulders are still pushing a little into broad territory and I think overall the pose feels pretty stiff. Make sure you are drawing through your forms as well, so that everything lines up properly.

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cheers cake. i'll give it another go. Man, i think i needa read up on Ron Lemens anatomy principles again.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man, I really am not a fan of Ron Lemen.

But try to get as much as you can out of Erik Gist's tutorials and blog. This guy knows his shit. I wish he would put more tutorial stuff online.

rts on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cakemikz, you have so many valuable things in your head.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    E.M. GistE.M. Gist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Man, I really am not a fan of Ron Lemen.

But try to get as much as you can out of Erik Gist's tutorials and blog. This guy knows his shit. I wish he would put more tutorial stuff online.

Sheesh I'm working on it o_O

E.M. Gist on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Not fast enough you bastard!

cakemikz, you have so many valuable things in your head.

I do repeat myself a lot...but that's because I know how important they are.

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jotted this down pretty quick...

mkkkf6.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Decided to go ahead with a painting. Did a mock-up in photoshop
    df8rk3.jpg
    and am now blockin it all in on masonite.

as you can see i have little space to work with.

j7x15j.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One thing you need to think of doing as the first step in painting is eliminating the white. Do a wash over the entire board in a neutral tone. Or if your painting is going to be predominantly a certain color scheme, you can do a complimentary color to that color scheme.

Then, you can work in the darks, then work in the lights. You wont have to worry about white speckles showing up in edges. Plus it tends to create a richer color if you are working with any transparents.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, normally i do a wash over with burnt sienna and i'd block in the entire painting first trying to place in the darker values with burnt umber. This one... dunno, guess i wanted to try something different. Probably not a wise decision though.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Still working on my painting ATM, but mainly focussed on getting back into drawing studies.

Here are a few ive done over the last few days. mostly last night...

dc5zcx.jpg

I have no idea how to draw hands. Hopefully a few hundred of these will help :)

dmg0id.jpg

EDIT: Forgot this little bugger!

2vmhkj5.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Winter, I don't mean to be mean or anything but a lot of your face-studies fucking scare me to death.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    how do you mean?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Actually, I think they're getting a lot better. The last one especially looks quite nice; that said, I would start working more on face studies that emphasize a bit more the structure of the face, either through shading (I feel like I'm turning into a one-trick horse, here), or through less conventional angles. Also, regarding the man's face in the first image: his eyes are too high up (which is being exacerbated by having given him too much space between his nose and chin). Remember, halfway...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Also, regarding the man's face in the first image: his eyes are too high up (which is being exacerbated by having given him too much space between his nose and chin). Remember, halfway...

Yeah mate, i too have noticed i do this quite a lot. Needa break that habbit! Cheers for the comment.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pretty much what I mean is your facial features are so defined. Noses aren't just hard lines around every corner, they are shades and dots and lines that are implied more than absolute lines that are always there. Eyes too.

When they are this defined it looks like a creepy Children's book or something.

That being said, though, the face before your last one--the girl's--looks closer to the implied lines thing that I am talking about.

Also, I called that telephone number in your signature and just got yelled at :(

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ah ok, yeah i understand. I could use the excuse that im trying to 'block' in the shapes of the nose, eyes, cheeks etc. with direct lines, like shown in the Andrew Loomis books. Or i could be honest and say it's kinda a bad habbit. I'll go with the Loomis excuse :)
    Really, i'll work on implied shape rather than direct lines. thanks for explaining champ

Oh, and a few mixs of last few sketches done

Untitled-1-1.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Some doodles done today...

10.jpg

11.jpg

8.jpg

[IMG][/img]9.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bunch of new sketches done tonight and the last couple days.

EDIT: BTW Ive been looking at Willy Pogany anatomy lessons. his stuff is really good. Old but good.

15.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    :^:

keep up with the studies..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey fellas. Just some quick doodles i did this afternoon. they include Snake Plissken, Italian Spiderman, my bro, and some basketball player, dont know his name. Was really fun to do these quick studies. I think my face probportions and structures are improving. Ive noticed, while sketching a picture, my process has changed considerably since doing those Loomis and various other artists drawing studies. All for the better i'm sure. I took about 10 mins on each (except the bottom right:)). Cheers for looking.

16.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Decided to do a tone kinda thing of one of the above pics ^^^ Not really proud of this, considering it's pretty much is JUST a direct copy of a photo. Oh well, good practice i guess.

2962eth.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Y'know that's actually quite nice.

Mustang on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ron Jeremy :^:

Do the super mario one next

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think you could work on your line control. A lot of your stuff is sketchy to the point of distraction. So like, maybe do some life drawings of objects - a glass, a rubix cube, a lamp, fruit, a bottle of vodka (drink it afterwards as a reward!). Also, am I imagining it, or do you erase things? Because I think that's really unnecessary for simple studies. You should keep every line so you can look at where you went wrong, rather than pretending it never happened.

Just sayin'.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, am I imagining it, or do you erase things? Because I think that's really unnecessary for simple studies. You should keep every line so you can look at where you went wrong, rather than pretending it never happened.

Just sayin'.

With these studies i havn't been erasing, i've been trying to work with the mistakes (possibly the reason for it looking sketchy?). I've been blocking the shapes in with light blue pencil and then go over it with mechanical pencil. When i scan it in, and set the pics to greyscale the building lines kinda vanish. If you look closely you can kinda see where they are.
    It probably wouldnt hurt for me to do some still life drawings of objects.

BTW i've enrolled in my Uni electives for this year and i'm doing a life drawing class first semester, and a life painting class second semester. Hell better than the other shit they where offering.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    man you've made a ton of progress! nice stuff, keep going!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MECHANICAL PENCIL?! Get yoself some proper lead pencils! Is the blue construction lines and going over with a dark colour something your tutorials are suggesting you do?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    man you've made a ton of progress! nice stuff, keep going!

Thanks champ!
    MECHANICAL PENCIL?! Get yoself some proper lead pencils! Is the blue construction lines and going over with a dark colour something your tutorials are suggesting you do?

Most of the time i use a mechanical pencil (i think thats the name anyway...) and usually alternate between that and regular when it comes to shading. Havnt had much expierience with that. In the concept art course, the dude suggests using a light coloured pencil (blue, orange, or whatever) and block in the very basic shapes. Then go over with pencil or pen. Not specific advice to me, but more so general advice for people getting into concept art. Im doing the 4 week course, not to get into concept art, but mainly to learn digital techniques.

BTW some doodles dont this evening. I know! MESSY LINES!!! Its so hard to get out of the habbit.

I'll pat myself on the back for this one. im pleased that my skulls are actually looking kinda like skulls :)
    19.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Goodness! Look at that womans face on the right of the first image. That's awesome! Yeah you're definitely improving. Interesting about the blocking in with a different coloured pencil, not something I would have thought of, but I guess it makes sense when you're really trying to get those fundamental structures right.

desperaterobots on