As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RE5 looks like an action game more than a survival horror game to me.

Honestly, how is that any different than RE4?

gtrmp on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know what would be cool is if someone changed the topic so it was talking about the right game.

RE4 is so awesome that we shall now and forever refer to future RE titles as RE4.

So really, this is RE4: 2

Resident Evil 4 Two, Parasitic Boogaloo

Really what more could you ask for?
    Something new.

Also, something actually scary?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dead Space looks new AND scary.

Have fun. We'll be playing RE5 co-op.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got a quick query about RE4 for the Wii and this seemed like the best place to ask. I've got my Wii hooked up with composite cables and when I'm playing RE4 I got a vertical black bar on the running down then right hand side of my screen, about 1cm wide. Does anyone else get this with the Wii edition of RE4 or is it just me? In all other Wii games and in the Wii home menu it uses the full width of the screen.

I vaguely remember hearing that there was a dodgy print run of the game when it first came out that made it do this - did you pick your copy up pre-owned? It'd probably be worth taking it back and swapping it anyway.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah it was pre-owned. Hmmm, I'll have to decide if it bugs me enough to take it back.

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Look at the blaring uniqueness and differences between Resident Evil One and Two. Mansion - Police Station, Cops - Cop and Biker Chick, Brown Shotgun - Black Shotgun, Colt Python - Desert Eagle, Secret Laboratory - Secret Fucking Laboratory!

Seriously people, what are you looking for here? The gameplay, style, and mechanics are falling in line with the rest of the franchise.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The gameplay, style, and mechanics are falling in line with the rest of the franchise.

no its not.. just 4, which isnt a bad thing but i want more survival horror less actiony.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think getting away from the Static Camera views was a good thing. Resident Evil 4 showed us a new way, and it was a good way. As long as we don't have multi-player with the ability to tea-bag zombies after a "Boom! Headshot!" I'll willing to give them a bit of lee-way. That scene in the trailer where Chris snipers the barrel on the bridge and the whole thing goes up in an awesome explosion looks great.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I think getting away from the Static Camera views was a good thing. Resident Evil 4 showed us a new way, and it was a good way. As long as we don't have multi-player with the ability to tea-bag zombies after a "Boom! Headshot!" I'll willing to give them a bit of lee-way. That scene in the trailer where Chris snipers the barrel on the bridge and the whole thing goes up in an awesome explosion looks great.

yeah yeah yeah, that's all good, but more survival horror please.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man - playing through Umbrella Chonicles is just like reminding me about how much I love this series, and how I really hope 5 kind of goes back to the roots of things (like I guess it's expected to).

The only ones Ive really played are RE1, 2, Code Veronica and 4. I played Code Veronica to DEATH and loved every second of it. I have Zero and REmake, but haven't touched them yet. And I've never seen 3. But all that aside - it's just so fucking BAD ASS in Umbrella Chronicles to go back and see what Wesker was doing, the inner workings of Umbrella and all that stuff. And just walking through the mansion again is awesome.

But I think - to a certain extent - I actually LIKED the static camera a little bit better. It without a doubt made the game way scarier. With total camera control, there was a lot of times where I'd wander and look around and see a ganado with his back to me, and scope out the scene before attacking - which was bad ass, and action packed, but not scary.

I remember being TERRIFIED in RE1 and 2, when I'd open a door and the camera was just me at the door, gun drawn. You'd hear something, and I'd be so afraid to take that one step forward and see what it was. It was a really good way to force a mood on the game that can't be achieved with the ability to look everywhere. I miss that stuff - and honestly I miss the indoors. The Police Station, the Ashford compound and the mansion were all so eerie in the sense that they were places that people inhabited, and I could sort of relate to. They looked like they could be real. RE4 lost that part, with the random castle in the middle of Spain. It fit the whole 'cult' vibe perfectly, but didn't really spook me because "secluded cult" is a totally different vibe than "evil organization hidden in plain sight".

So I hope RE5 kind of gives me a little old school resident evil flavor, and Chris being in it really helps that along. I'd like a couple static cameras, and maybe an embassy or something in Africa thats hiding something, so I can go from creepy room to creepy room again.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought this was an interesting point. People are whining way too much about the changes.

http://news.gotgame.com/racism-is-undead-thoughts-resident-evil-5-racism/

Thoughts?

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It is the history of anti-black sentiment and violence that makes this scenario so much more touchy.

yep pretty much

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    gtrmp wrote: »
    RE5 looks like an action game more than a survival horror game to me.

Honestly, how is that any different than RE4?

RE4 had dank dark and spooky goin for it, and good scares like Oven Man.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MYTHOS20000MYTHOS20000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has the subject of the cover system come up yet on this thread? I read a report that they are adding a cover system "a-la Gears" to RE5? Did I dream that/smoking crack? Yea or nay on this?

MYTHOS20000 on
    Six men, six giant..... voices.
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Has the subject of the cover system come up yet on this thread? I read a report that they are adding a cover system "a-la Gears" to RE5? Did I dream that/smoking crack? Yea or nay on this?

I read that on a messageboard, but I haven't seen anything official.

I thought they were adding ducking and weaving like in Godhand.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm half and half on it... I don't see why you need a cover system when they enemies don't really shoot at you. The only projectiles you had to deal with in Resi 4 were the odd axe, and then Leon just shot them out of the sky like the badass he is.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought that they were implementing the Gears of War scheme in that you control the camera (like really, this time, not that shitty RE4 style) with the right analog stick, but still have to pull the left trigger or whatever to aim your gun.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cowbomb wrote: »

I'm half and half on it... I don't see why you need a cover system when they enemies don't really shoot at you. The only projectiles you had to deal with in Resi 4 were the odd axe, and then Leon just shot them out of the sky like the badass he is.

Good point. Although being able to strafe is a feature that RE4 naysayers have clamored for. (All like, 5 of them). I guess I wouldn't mind that ability, as long as your aim is severely reduced while strafing.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »
    We've all read the racism rants online, but I would think that the shooting of children in the game would be a bigger deal. We haven't had that before have we?

res_evil_51.jpg

Oooh children shooting, not since Fallout 2 has my hunger for murdering kids been slaked. It needs a good slaking.

Thirst. You slake thirst.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, according to IGN:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906949p1.html
    UK, September 2, 2008 - Capcom has confirmed that Resident Evil 5's control system is to undergo an overhaul, with a revised scheme to be unveiled at this October's Tokyo Game Show.

While Resident Evil 5 looks set to be one of the most attractive titles when it hits both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 early next March, there have been some misgivings about its rehashing of the now-dated control scheme introduced in 2005's Resident Evil 4.

Following rumours it would be replaced, the games producer Jun Takeuchi – speaking at the recent Microsoft Media Briefing, at which Kotaku were in attendance - confirmed that the changes would be made public at the imminent Tokyo Game Show.

With Takeuchi referring to the new system as similar to Gears of War, expect a new duck and cover system to replace the classic Resident Evil style of stop and shoot. How the changes will affect the slow tension engendered by the older system that's been a series staple remains to be seen, but we'll be bringing you full impressions from the Tokyo Game Show this October.

They do use the phrase 'duck and cover', but that's just their own speculation. I dunno what the actual deal is then.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Well, according to IGN:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906949p1.html
    UK, September 2, 2008 - Capcom has confirmed that Resident Evil 5's control system is to undergo an overhaul, with a revised scheme to be unveiled at this October's Tokyo Game Show.

While Resident Evil 5 looks set to be one of the most attractive titles when it hits both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 early next March, there have been some misgivings about its rehashing of the now-dated control scheme introduced in 2005's Resident Evil 4.

Following rumours it would be replaced, the games producer Jun Takeuchi – speaking at the recent Microsoft Media Briefing, at which Kotaku were in attendance - confirmed that the changes would be made public at the imminent Tokyo Game Show.

With Takeuchi referring to the new system as similar to Gears of War, expect a new duck and cover system to replace the classic Resident Evil style of stop and shoot. How the changes will affect the slow tension engendered by the older system that's been a series staple remains to be seen, but we'll be bringing you full impressions from the Tokyo Game Show this October.

They do use the phrase 'duck and cover', but that's just their own speculation. I dunno what the actual deal is then.

That was it! Thanks.

MYTHOS20000 on
    Up 'til 2 Vocal Band
    www.uptil2music.com
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You mean to say I can actually move and aim and shoot... all at the same time?!

Fuck this game! Fuck Capcom! This is just RE4 with teh 5h1ny and a new setting and new camera control and new controls and... and... THIS IS JUST RE4.5!!!
    Meanwhile, this game sounds fucking awesome, it looks jaw-droppingly amazing, and the new control scheme is going to give it a big shove into this new direction it's been moving in since CV. This can only get better and better. And is it just me, or is there a lot of irony in the idea that people are bitching about this being "more of the same" while they go on about how they want more of the original? Just sayin...

Fawst on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does this mean I can chainsaw dual with zombies?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Does this mean I can chainsaw dual with zombies?
    I was a little disappointed you couldn't pick up new melee weapons or upgrade your knife in RE4. I used that thing all the time.

Darlan on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope to god they at least make it scary. While resident evil 4 was slightly off-putting at times, it was nothing compared to the first resident evil.

Day-light Africa isn't looking too frightening at the moment.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope to god they at least make it scary. While resident evil 4 was slightly off-putting at times, it was nothing compared to the first resident evil.

But what about nightime Africa? Those bitches will be camouflaged beyond visbility.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MarioG wrote: »

But what about nightime Africa? Those bitches will be camouflaged beyond visbility.

Heh. Yeah. In the first one though, it was dark and dreary the whole way through. Maybe It was because I was younger, but that game scared the shit out of me.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kedinik wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »
    We've all read the racism rants online, but I would think that the shooting of children in the game would be a bigger deal. We haven't had that before have we?

res_evil_51.jpg

Oooh children shooting, not since Fallout 2 has my hunger for murdering kids been slaked. It needs a good slaking.

Thirst. You slake thirst.

I don't see any children.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The two to the left. Teens. Zombie teens.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know, the control system didn't really need changing.
    I'm fearful of this update.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So it's gears of war now?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I prefer to believe that it's a God Hand style ducking.

Then again I am pretty delusional.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well...Gears of War was basically RE4+Killswitch...that worked pretty great.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As long as you still have to stop to shoot, I don't care what they do. Stopping to shoot is like, their trademark.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, I played the GC version of RE4 first and stop and shoot worked for the controller. But this is 2008 damnit, it needs the dual analog move and shoot. It doesn't help that I installed RE4 on my pc and hooked up my 360 controller to it, it's fricken awesome but I hate stopping to shoot and using the same joystick to aim and move is annoying. If you could only walk and shoot, like not full on sprint mowin people down, I would be ten times happier.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So my lame thread title is still hanging around eh? Huh.

This game is looking better to me all the time. When I saw that newest video, I knew it was gonna be scarier than 4...it MUST be.

Let's remember, 4 started off in the daytime too, but look where that went.;-)

Here's hoping for a zombified rhinoceros, or instead of zombie dogs, big freakin' zombie hyenas or lions. Those things hunt in packs. They got some animals over there in Africa trhat can be pretty damn scary.

On a side note, W..T..F?

Leon_from___Resident_Evil_4___by_DW3Girl.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So.... ehm, after you take me back to my place, how about we do some overtime?

:winky:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LEEEON HELP ME
    :winky:

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The two to the left. Teens. Zombie teens.

Look like adults to me. Be they short or just standing further back than they appear to be.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn it, you guys are slow. Is it always up to me to post new trailers?
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41048.html

ObstSkwerl on