As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man i wish i had the guts to play this game properly. I don't know why i keep buying them..

Mangaroo on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I understand being scared of REmake, Re2/3 and even 0 to an extent (although I found having a partner around most of the game eased the tension).

But Re4 was more of an action game than a horror game.

...except for the Regenerators.

Fuck them.
    HORRIBLE BREATHING NOISE, DO NOT WANT

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Nemesis.

He knows how to use a door.

Yeah but he refuses to let anyone see him coming through a door, he has to wait until you're not looking then *click* "GRRRrrr".

Nemsis was always bashful like that. I think his zombie parents used to discourage that kind of deviant behaviour and it's left him psychologically scarred ever since.

subedii on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm probably most afraid of the fucking giant frog that appeared once and insta-killed me after I had been playing for about an hour without saving.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited April 2008
    I understand being scared of REmake, Re2/3 and even 0 to an extent (although I found having a partner around most of the game eased the tension).

Fuck them.

Dude, they take like half an hour to shamble anywhere. You can have a cup of tea whilst you're waiting for them most of the time.

The only real danger period is probably when you first encounter them.

subedii on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Fuck them.

Dude, they take like half an hour to shamble anywhere. You can have a cup of tea whilst you're waiting for them most of the time.

Did you only play on Normal? I don't know if it makes a difference, but many times when I played on Pro fuckers would reach and pull me into their spiked bodies.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

Yeah, they've never really hurt me much. I think I only got a gameover once because of them (and I think that was because they got Ashley).

But the breathing, and the music that kicks in when one of them's seen you.

Still gets to me.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RE4 only had one "jump scare" in the entire game and it got me, bad. Cause I was so used to it not having jump scares, other than maybe the dogs (but they weren't that scary.)

POOM OUT COMES A MAN ON FIRE

Feels Good Man on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

When they regrow their head is fucking nasty shit though

nexuscrawler on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

Oddly enough, I found them to be the least scary of the lot, probably because I kept thinking of them as Heaven Smiles.

Now, those blind guys with the claws? Them's were fucking scary. Especially in that one scene
    where you're locked in a tiny cage with one.

Daedalus on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haha, the best is when you shoot off their legs and then they jump at you and bite your neck. That made my 6'4'' roommate fall off his chair, it was hilarious.

Feels Good Man on
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

When they regrow their head is fucking nasty shit though

Yeah, tht IS nasty.

Actually one thing I'm hoping for is that RE5 can compete with RE4 in all the really horrible ways that the protagonist could buy the farm.

Bonus points if it gets released as a video and then re-editted to Yakety Sax

Yes, that video has to come up in EVERY Resident Evil thread.

subedii on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RE4 was really really good.

I am going to get RE5.

I would really like another proper Resident Evil game on the Wii with RE4: Wii Edition controls.

LewieP on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

I played REmake a while back and I will be honest, it scared the shit out of me. Every second, wandering around with those clumsy, unintuitive controls and a gun with 1 clip, and then hearing something moan or screech or crawl... Christ, it was terrifying. At least until you pick up some better weapons, but until then, you really do feel like you're alone in a mansion full of monsters and you are nearly helpless.

RE4 though, while it had some scary moments, had that wonderful feature of having guns and ammo around every corner, allowing you to load up and just make a stand until the last (not)zombie falls. It was badass through and through, especially when I'd just spent a shitload of pesetas on health and ammo and upgrades and such and I walk into the next area loaded for bear and it's like come get some, motherfuckers.

I love both of 'em.

Grey Ghost on
    edited April 2008
    I wish I had played REmake before RE4. I literally can't play it now..

LewieP on
  • mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck them.

Did you only play on Normal? I don't know if it makes a difference, but many times when I played on Pro fuckers would reach and pull me into their spiked bodies.

This nastier form of the Regenerator, the Iron Maiden, appears in both Normal and Pro difficulties.

Cliffjumper, I agree with you 100% about Regenerators, it only got better once I had played through the game multiple times (getting intimately familiar with the controls and the Regen's attack patterns) AND memorized all the fuckers' locations.

If Capcom decides to add something as scary as those things in RE5, I will be too afraid to go anyplace dark. Whenever I force myself to venture into the black void, it will be immediately after visiting the bathroom because I'll already be crying, don't need to piss my pants too.

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
    edited April 2008
    My favourite is probably still RE2. I don't know why, there's just something about it that clicks with me. It's short, got a decent B-movie storyline to match the B-movie action. The abandoned police station was really atmospheric and scary for me to investigate (the background music was really good, the track that plays as soon as you enter the station really put me in a creeped out mood.).

The whole atmosphere and setting was just right.

And of course, it was Leon's first day on the job. :P

subedii on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I always loved the music for when purchasing from the merchant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spn61awoAns

Also, the music for saving...both are just so mournful, foreboding, and also kind of emotional. Love 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXBr-rWP1a8

Scotty on
    edited April 2008
    Scotty wrote: »

Also, the music for saving...both are just so mournful, foreboding, and also kind of emotional. Love 'em.

I loved the RE2 save room theme. It really gave me the impression of "here I am, in this desperate situation with no way out. But I've got no choice but to keep going." That sounds cheesy but it's pretty much the impression the theme gives. There's a real sense of destitution to it, you know that for the time being you're safe, but that it can't last.

subedii on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scotty wrote: »

I loved the RE2 save room theme. It really gave me the impression of "here I am, in this desperate situation with no way out. But I've got no choice but to keep going." That sounds cheesy but it's pretty much the impression the theme gives. There's a real sense of destitution to it, you know that for the time being you're safe, but that it can't last.

Couldn't agree more.:^:

Scotty on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bwaha, stoveman makes me pee my pants a little bit every time

and I've played through RE4 like five times

Captain K on
    edited April 2008
    All in all, Chris Redfield is nice but, Leon has powers... mysterious powers... Learned from the ancient arts of the Far East...

With a mere TOUCH he can END you:

touchofdeathet9.gif

subedii on
    edited April 2008
    what

how did you do that

Captain K on
    edited April 2008
    They should swap the herbs for fried chicken.

I think I might have missed the boat on this joke about hyper sensitivity about is RE5 racist. But whatever.

Edit: It's a mod for the PC version.

LewieP on
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    what

how did you do that

You don't know how to do Leon's touch of death?

you need to complete the game 3 times. During those three times you have to have completed every area / room at least ONCE without taking damage. If you do that then you gain Leon's "Touch of Death" ability

I'm just playing with ya. :lol:

Actually it's from a mod for the PC version (aptly named "touch of death" ).

subedii on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am super excited for this game despite the fact it'll be probably a year or more before it hits shelves.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited April 2008
    oh okay

Captain K on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ug, temperature effects? Really?

Hopefully it's done well, cause I can see that being really annoying.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    At first I'm happy with my purchase with the Wii and how I'm too poor to afford another system. Then I remember that this, the sequel to one of my favorite games ever, is not coming to the Wii and I die a little more. :(

Still looks awesome though.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any good catch-all source for RE4 mod info?

Dirty on
    edited April 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Any good catch-all source for RE4 mod info?

Try here

You need to do some .dat extraction before you can start modding, but there's a tonne of skins, re-texture packs, and other miscellaneous stuff to swap in and try.

subedii on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the hi-res texture packs for RE4 PC are pretty impressive.

slash000 on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Ug, temperature effects? Really?

Hopefully it's done well, cause I can see that being really annoying.

Its MGS3 stamina back to haunt us!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited April 2008
    All in all, Chris Redfield is nice but, Leon has powers... mysterious powers... Learned from the ancient arts of the Far East...

With a mere TOUCH he can END you:

touchofdeathet9.gif

Five Point Palm Exploding Head Technique? Haha.

What does the action button icon say there?

Grey Ghost on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My name is Ted Bundy and I approve this game.

That_Guy on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

There's really nothing to worry about, they've got some really talented guys working on RE5. Jun Takeuchi worked on RE1, RE2 and the Onimusha series. Kenichi Ueda, director of the game, worked on RE3, REmake, RE Zero, RE4 and DMC1. There is nothing to worry about.

From what I've read and seen on RE5, Takeuchi really seems to be keen on using RE4's gameplay but giving it the creepy atmosphere that made RE1 and RE2 so awesome.

As for racism, I do actually expect it to cause some controversy in the US but I doubt it will anywhere else. Kind of like those old PSP ads that were displayed in a couple of European countries, no-one cared much about them until an American website got ahold of some pictures and turned them into a shitstorm.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I bet he'll die like the one in Night of the Living Dead does.

"He wasn't a zombie?"

Actually, far be it from a series like Resident Evil to bring any sort of intense emotional response from me other than "oh shit", but that could be a very interesting scene. The biggest thing about Night of the Living Dead was the ambiguous ending with the main character, a black man, getting shot by a redneck in a way that leaves you wondering if he was mistaken for a zombie or not.

I would be very confused if RE5 tried to actually provoke such a thought, though. Even if they tried to do it, I might not recognize it next to the likes of Napoleon midgets.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

There's really nothing to worry about, they've got some really talented guys working on RE5. Jun Takeuchi worked on RE1, RE2 and the Onimusha series. Kenichi Ueda, director of the game, worked on RE3, REmake, RE Zero, RE4 and DMC1. There is nothing to worry about.

From what I've read and seen on RE5, Takeuchi really seems to be keen on using RE4's gameplay but giving it the creepy atmosphere that made RE1 and RE2 so awesome.

As for racism, I do actually expect it to cause some controversy in the US but I doubt it will anywhere else. Kind of like those old PSP ads that were displayed in a couple of European countries, no-one cared much about them until an American website got ahold of some pictures and turned them into a shitstorm.

Which PSP ads were these?

Grey Ghost on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    I bet he'll die like the one in Night of the Living Dead does.

"He wasn't a zombie?"

Actually, far be it from a series like Resident Evil to bring any sort of intense emotional response from me other than "oh shit", but that could be a very interesting scene. The biggest thing about Night of the Living Dead was the ambiguous ending with the main character, a black man, getting shot by a redneck in a way that leaves you wondering if he was mistaken for a zombie or not.

I would be very confused if RE5 tried to actually provoke such a thought, though. Even if they tried to do it, I might not recognize it next to the likes of Napoleon midgets.

I find it's easier to become emotionally attached to the character when playing with a friend, because you can just yell to each other how awesome a certain character is. Me and my friend thought Luis fucking ruled, and after 2 minutes we were squabbling over who gets to marry Mike.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Mike's sole action sequence was exquisite. My soul screamed as Leon did when the chopper went down.

Grey Ghost on