As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Many hearts were broken that day.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

There's really nothing to worry about, they've got some really talented guys working on RE5. Jun Takeuchi worked on RE1, RE2 and the Onimusha series. Kenichi Ueda, director of the game, worked on RE3, REmake, RE Zero, RE4 and DMC1. There is nothing to worry about.

From what I've read and seen on RE5, Takeuchi really seems to be keen on using RE4's gameplay but giving it the creepy atmosphere that made RE1 and RE2 so awesome.

As for racism, I do actually expect it to cause some controversy in the US but I doubt it will anywhere else. Kind of like those old PSP ads that were displayed in a couple of European countries, no-one cared much about them until an American website got ahold of some pictures and turned them into a shitstorm.

Which PSP ads were these?

To advertise white PSPs Sony made billboard ads of a White Woman and a Black Woman fighting.
    These were only shown in Europe because even Sony isn't stupid enough to do that in America. However some senator or something decided to get votes by telling Sony to change ads that weren't even being used in his country.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

There's really nothing to worry about, they've got some really talented guys working on RE5. Jun Takeuchi worked on RE1, RE2 and the Onimusha series. Kenichi Ueda, director of the game, worked on RE3, REmake, RE Zero, RE4 and DMC1. There is nothing to worry about.

From what I've read and seen on RE5, Takeuchi really seems to be keen on using RE4's gameplay but giving it the creepy atmosphere that made RE1 and RE2 so awesome.

As for racism, I do actually expect it to cause some controversy in the US but I doubt it will anywhere else. Kind of like those old PSP ads that were displayed in a couple of European countries, no-one cared much about them until an American website got ahold of some pictures and turned them into a shitstorm.

To advertise white PSPs Sony made billboard ads of a White Woman and a Black Woman fighting.
    These were only shown in Europe because even Sony isn't stupid enough to do that in America. However some senator or something decided to get votes by telling Sony to change ads that weren't even being used in his country.

sony_whiteiscoming_web_1.jpg

sony_whiteiscoming_web_2.jpg

sony_whiteiscoming_web_3a.jpg

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

To be fair though I'm sure he realized that Sony hasn't made a good ad campaign in like forever and the garbage they brought here was just as bad.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

To be fair though I'm sure he realized that Sony hasn't made a good ad campaign in like forever and the garbage they brought here was just as bad.

If he had protested the US PS3 ads I would have voted for that man twice.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to see them return to the Male-Female teams who you can both play as.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear if theres another girl that you have to watch constantly. They should have another buff guy with huge weapons to help you instead!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MarioG wrote: »
    I swear if theres another girl that you have to watch constantly. They should have another buff guy with huge weapons to help you instead!

It sounds like just taking care of yourself might be enough of a handful in this game.

Captain K on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'd like to see them return to the Male-Female teams who you can both play as.

Maybe they will. The Redfield Siblings working together (again) would be epic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When is the "media summit" that was referenced to in the videos?

mooshoepork on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know what would be ideal?

If the game's story addressed the fact that the player might be a little uncomfortable capping a village of poor black people. I know that won't happen because it's Resi Evil and it's not known for provoking thoughts other then "OH GOD", but it would be nice.

Clint Eastwood on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is that a "not black guy" in the middle? Looks more Hispanic to me.

trailerre5xblmp0100001_2.jpg

Scotty on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    Is that a "not black guy" in the middle? Looks more Hispanic to me.

trailerre5xblmp0100001_2.jpg

Probably your informant, why he has an ax I dunno.

SkutSkut on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Is anyone worried that this will just be a new gen rehash of Resi 4?

I mean the similarities so far are quite clear.

To an extent yeah, that wouldn't be all that bad but I really hope they push it further. Maybe bring back some old RE staples; less ammo and weaponry, more scares/atmosphere/less action, some way to replace the merchant but retain the customisation, Multiple characters, etc. Oh and no bloody QTE which require you to hit one button as fast as you can.

Leitner on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Is anyone worried that this will just be a new gen rehash of Resi 4?

I mean the similarities so far are quite clear.

To an extent yeah, that wouldn't be all that bad but I really hope they push it further. Maybe bring back some old RE staples; less ammo and weaponry, more scares/atmosphere/less action, some way to replace the merchant but retain the customisation, Multiple characters, etc. Oh and no bloody QTE which require you to hit one button as fast as you can.

We are of like mind.

Scotty on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    and the ability to move/strafe while aiming... very slowly... please?

Tzen on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As far as this being just a next-gen update to RE4...

Hell YES, I want that! RE 0, 1, 2, 3 and CV were all the same tank controls. RE4 finally got it right. If they were to diverge from that too much, it would be a bit of a pain in the ass, I think. So long as they only streamline that setup, or tweak it a bit here and there, I'll be happy. But I think at this point, the control scheme is pretty solid.

Fawst on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like how everyone says the old RE games had tank controls... Even though RE4 had the exact same controls. I don't get it.

urahonky on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I like how everyone says the old RE games had tank controls... Even though RE4 had the exact same controls. I don't get it.

I know right? different camera=/ different controls

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I know right? different camera=/ different controls

That's exactly what I was going to say. All they did was add the over the shoulder camera. The controls are identical to the originals.

urahonky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The tank controls for RE4 work because I have a perfect sense of perspective.

It's not the tank controls that I dislike about previous RE games, it's the fixed perspective.

LewieP on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chris has been doing some serious roids after his last appearance in RE

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    edited April 2008
    *gasp* Not you too Lewie!!

Damn it all!

urahonky on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Right, I forgot about the 360 degree aiming system that they had in the originals :P

Seriously, that might have been the geekiest thing I've read all day.

EDIT: You're right, the tank-style controls basically ARE the same, but the gameplay is 100% different. Sorry that we got that wrong.

Fawst on
    edited April 2008
    You should apologize to all the purists. I expect a letter on my desk in the morning.

urahonky on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    EDIT: Oops, wrong thread.

UnbreakableVow on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love most of the RE series as much as anyone, but after seeing how even Kojima could be persuaded to provide multiple control configurations, I am disappointed with Capcom. The producer in that interview seemed really smug and content, and it just kind of chaps my balls. They can leave the identical RE4 control scheme in there, but give people with a little bit a coordination the ability to use the left thumbstick for forward/backward/strafing and the right thumbstick for looking/aiming. But if you're holding the shoulder/aim button, only allow for small/slow steps of movement so it won't totally whack the pacing.

GIVE US OPTIONS!

Tzen on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Couscous on
    edited May 2008
    good.

LewieP on
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, this looks so good. And mercs mode is back? Fuck yes.

I need more info about this CG movie though. It looks really cool, and after playing 4 I love Leon.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there something wrong with me? I bought RE4 for the Wii, and can't for the life of me get into it. Maybe it ramps up later in the game, or something - I've gotten as far that weird system of wooden bridges and gates and zombies running around with big firecracker looking things.

I just don't dig it.

Really loved all the others though.

ANTVGM64 on
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with me? I bought RE4 for the Wii, and can't for the life of me get into it. Maybe it ramps up later in the game, or something - I've gotten as far that weird system of wooden bridges and gates and zombies running around with big firecracker looking things.

I just don't dig it.

I've played through it over ten times now, but I think if your not getting into it by that point you probably won't. Outside of weapon upgrades and such, it's the core mechanics that really drew me into it, and aside from some little changes along the way it remains the same game throughout. That being said, it is an awesome experience and perhaps you should just keep at it, you may find something worth liking.

UberEv on
    edited May 2008
    I think RE4 managed to keep me interested not only because I like the core gameplay, but I fucking loved the bosses. They were like, my reward for trucking through hordes of Ganados.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    RE4 is the only game that as soon as I beat it, I started a +new game right after.

wakkawa on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

I just don't dig it.

Honestly - I enjoied it so much more when I stood while playing it (I always used to stand when I played ANYTHING on the Wii...Im weird) and actually used the wiimote like the way leon holds his gun. It started because it was one of the first Wii games I owned, and I sucked at aiming. I never could steady myself. So fucking around I said I'd hold it like Leon does, I bent the arm that held the nunchuck accross my body, and then pointed the wiimote at the screen, resting that arm on the arm that crossed my body.

Not only did I look 200 times more badass...i FELT it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited May 2008
    wakkawa wrote: »
    RE4 is the only game that as soon as I beat it, I started a +new game right after.

Same. I've played it through I think 9 times now, across Gamecube and Wii, and the various difficulty levels.

LewieP on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »

Same. I've played it through I think 9 times now, across Gamecube and Wii, and the various difficulty levels.

Me too! We should start a club.

I played this through on GC first. Incidentally, I picked it up like three days before the Wii port was announced, so I beat the GC version, but I didn't do much else with it. I then got the Wii version as a gift from my dad and played through that in full. Then I started NG+ right after I beat it. Apparently, if you play this game enough, the people you live with will come to hate you and try to steal the TV from you so they can "play something other than this game that you've done nothing but play for the last three days, what the hell is wrong with you?" True story.

Also, on topic. Capcom is walking a very fine line. I hope they manage to make this game tasteful. I really shouldn't have to feel more ashamed about playing games than I already do.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    I love how it became a big thing because you shoot black people. Nobody had a problem with shooting Spaniards...

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They'll have a white people mode which turns all the enemies into Nazis so we don't feel any guilt.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png