Options

[Pander On]: Worst examples of advertisement (G&T Related)

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    While not precisely video game related, every single advertisement for any sort of instant messaging product makes me want to cry.

kgr8cyal8r

idk, my bff jill?

elevature on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Almost all Game Ads suck I think. I am so glad I quit watching Tv since I had never seen that PsP add before. However I think Xbox has gotten better with them, I mean I loved the Gears of War Ad and The Assassins Creed and DMC4 Ads all made me really want the games.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Other than the original SSB

You mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e9fK38BCAQ

Anyway, back to shitty game-related ads, all of the ones for "game-design schools," which I'm sure many of you have seen on television: "Check it out! Hurrrr this is whut we do for a living!!" There was also an Internet one that was similar to what the OP posted.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A PSP ad told me to commit suicide once.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Other than the original SSB

You mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e9fK38BCAQ

Anyway, back to shitty game-related ads, all of the ones for "game-design schools," which I'm sure many of you have seen on television: "Check it out! Hurrrr this is whut we do for a living!!" There was also an Internet one that was similar to what the OP posted.
    But man!

We can totally tighten up the graphics on level 3!
    DEATH

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    rippa2krippa2k Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    THOSE BLACK DUDES ARE GOOD AT CAMOFLAUGE

What the hell is that supposed to mean??

are you trying to say, black people are so dark you dont see them?

Im not sure but i think im really offended by this.

rippa2k on
    My Niko is going to start wearing purple, wearing purple, da-da-da-da-da!

latekillerbean.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish people would stop posting that billboard out of context. It's series of the two of them fighting and not really racist at all, unless you're looking for it to be. I mean, it's not even really good, but it's not racist. Plus, there's plenty of other stuff to look at Sony doing wrong in advertisements, it's just stupid.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    rippa2k wrote: »

That's the whole basis behind Resident Evil 5.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    I wish people would stop posting that billboard out of context. It's series of the two of them fighting and not really racist at all, unless you're looking for it to be. I mean, it's not even really good, but it's not racist. Plus, there's plenty of other stuff to look at Sony doing wrong in advertisements, it's just stupid.

I think the point is that realistically, some people irl would see it out of context. Like, if that was the first in the series you saw.

LewieP on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    HAHA. Those ads to work in the industry are the best.

They seem to be designing such future classics as "Man Running In Cave" and "ROBOT NOISES!".

I love how, now that I've seen the Bungie docs about making Halo, ect..., that commercial shows two guys in a chair with what looks like the old arcade joysticks and they're just looking at a robot. And one guy goes "HEY! WE CAN USE THAT NOISE FROM THE LAST LEVEL AGAIN HERE!" On top of it being horribly unrealistic, they're also lazy because they can't even make a new robot noise.

And Gamerfuel's name was dumb, I have no idea about it's taste. I tried it once, and it reminded me of gummy worms. I just hate how it implied that in order to play videogames, I need more than a drink. I need FUEL. To POWER ME. TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

They could have called it Mountain Dew Halo Space Juice and it would have been more cool.

And as a total aside - how is it that Gamerfuel, and all other marketing tie in beverages die off rather quickly, yet Ecto-Cooler was around for a decade after Ghostbusters stopped appealing to children? I loved that stuff.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So that's where Nocren got his avatar.

Yep :D

Wow... I'm remembered.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

I think the point is that realistically, some people irl would see it out of context. Like, if that was the first in the series you saw.

The problem is when you create a series of images like this, it works for a magazine spread where the viewer is likely to see them in progression and as a whole. When you use them as a billboard, unless you buy a series of billboards and run them all in the same area, a lot of people are only going to see one and see it out of context.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Hello members of Games and Technology I am conducting some 4wesum r3search and wonder what kind of funky fresh subject material might appeal to the l33t gamer5 of the world???

actually no. Not unless my command here needs market research.
    Pro-Tip: they don't

I was just trying to spark a discussion based on a shitty add that I saw in my Mag. Sorry if I offended you.

Ahh, sorry, was afraid it'd be taken that way. I didn't mean that as an attack on you, just figured I'd try some market research speak. Apologies!

No harm no foul. =)

Hi5!
    And yeah, there've been some atrocious examples of advertising towards 'gamers' (because we're not normal people, and we all 5p33k lyk d15 y0!) that make my skin crawl.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also.

Ads that use thinly-veiled euphemisms and quips about girlfriends and not needing them.

And ridiculous boobs.

God this industry is a joke.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is why I like Nintendo's approach. By having everyone play and not just the 16-35 Male demographic, they make better commericals that aren't as annoying.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

I get annoyed about it being out of context too but I agree with Lewie in that if someone only saw that one advert.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    chalk up another vote on lolsony for me

oh, and un-GAMER-related, that fucking Coca Cola black commercial where that guy is dumping his girlfriend in some kind of strip joint. Retarded.

Grudge on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Honestly?

In that ad, at first, I didn't see the black guy.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I love this Kirby ad. Look at how happy he is in all of the actual screenshots!

kingmeh123 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kingmeh123 wrote: »

I love this Kirby ad. Look at how happy he is in all of the actual screenshots!

And now we know the origin of "angry eyes Kirby."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Also.

Ads that use thinly-veiled euphemisms and quips about girlfriends and not needing them.

And ridiculous boobs.

God this industry is a joke.

Anybody remember this?

I like the game and all (well...used to...), but seriously, that commercial used to piss me off whenever it would come on. At least the UK version played up the nationalistic 'pride' angle and had a sense of humour.
    She kicks high!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

Honestly?

Actually I think it's a black girl.

And I didn't see her at first either. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I remember the Legend of Zelda commercial when I was a kid where the kids rapped...
    'It's the legend of zelda and its really rad...'
    D:

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This one psp ad is actually real cool, but yeah with Chris Cunningham and all what would you want :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx5F8q-F3Yo

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    o hai
    enjoi

Zelda Rap

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »

Honestly?

Actually I think it's a black girl.

And I didn't see her at first either. :D

Neither did I! I just saw a white chick with a cig and had a sudden, overpowering urge to smoke the stuffing of my couch on top of a speeding bullet train while pegging a passing school bus with a rocket propelled grenade on one fine Easter morning.

The tooth examination is just icing on the cake, now that I've noticed it.

Really, what's so terribly bad about this? They're just poking a bunch of people square in the white guilt complex with a stick to make them squeal. They get all upset and offended and then they start screaming and hollering about the PSP and Sony, how they're stomping on the little dude, and how it's in really poor taste to announce your new product with this and the other- See what I mean? It's manufactured word of mouth advertising. It's working right now.

It's a spectacularly well done ad campaign. From the mexican gansta squirrels to the dead babies, all of their ads are bloody terrible, and that's what they're intended to be.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Really, what's so terribly bad about this? They're just poking a bunch of people square in the white guilt complex with a stick to make them squeal. They get all upset and offended and then they start screaming and hollering about the PSP and Sony, how they're stomping on the little dude, and how it's in really poor taste to announce your new product with this and the other- See what I mean? It's manufactured word of mouth advertising. It's working right now.

It's a spectacularly well done ad campaign. From the mexican gansta squirrels to the dead babies, all of their ads are bloody terrible, and that's what they're intended to be.
    Really? You don't see how potentially bad and ill-informed that billboard is? It isn't 'white guilt complex' because I'd doubt that many whites (without fore-knowledge on the subject) could infer that the white model was inspecting the black model's teeth. Hell, I can barely see the black model (though it's probably easier in real lighting), but that ad is bad for two reasons:

1- Even the suggestion of racism...

2- What the fuck is it selling?

The whole ad campaign was attempting to co-op so-called black street culture to sell the PSP as a hip device for youths. That kind of shit is insulting to any culture that was unfortunate enough to see it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Michael "Link" Jackson :lol:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really? You don't see how potentially bad and ill-informed that billboard is? It isn't 'white guilt complex' because I'd doubt that many whites (without fore-knowledge on the subject) could infer that the white model was inspecting the black model's teeth. Hell, I can barely see the black model (though it's probably easier in real lighting), but that ad is bad for two reasons:

The whole ad campaign was attempting to co-op so-called black street culture to sell the PSP as a hip device for youths. That kind of shit is insulting to any culture that was unfortunate enough to see it.

I'm seeing the bad and I'm applauding it as a great way to generate publicity. Not taking into account the teef, it's still a remarkably superior and striking pose.

As you say, "Even the suggestion of racism..." is enough to make a number of people grow wings and commence the harvest of organs from orphan children, it's a great tool to take advantage of. The context of the ads, as someone else mentioned, existed specifically to justify what they were really doing in order to brush off attempts to push for their removal. That kind of move is well done, and I appreciate the effort they're putting in.

It's not every day that an ad campaign is launched just to tick people off. What they're trying to sell is completely irrelevant, as it generates brand recognition and discussion. Every picture worth a thousand words and a firebomb. It's downright heart warming.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Im surprised no one mentioned those wonderul Play It Loud ads Nintendo put out during the SNES era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQAbQ1hJZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZEmIaIA_1I&feature=related

just so goddamned contrived and obnoxious

what the hell was nintendo thinking?

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm seeing the bad and I'm applauding it as a great way to generate publicity. Not taking into account the teef, it's still a remarkably superior and striking pose.

As you say, "Even the suggestion of racism..." is enough to make a number of people grow wings and commence the harvest of organs from orphan children, it's a great tool to take advantage of. The context of the ads, as someone else mentioned, existed specifically to justify what they were really doing in order to brush off attempts to push for their removal. That kind of move is well done, and I appreciate the effort they're putting in.

It's not every day that an ad campaign is launched just to tick people off. What they're trying to sell is completely irrelevant, as it generates brand recognition and discussion. Every picture worth a thousand words and a firebomb. It's downright heart warming.

Honestly I think the reaction to that ad was more racist than the add itself. If it had been two white people, no one would have said anything, two black people, nothing, two chinese people? nothing. But "oh shit, two people who aren't exactly identical!! Call the rest of the nutjobs, we're going a protestin' !"

:|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly I think the reaction to that ad was more racist than the add itself. If it had been two white people, no one would have said anything, two black people, nothing, two chinese people? nothing. But "oh shit, two people who aren't exactly identical!! Call the rest of the nutjobs, we're going a protestin' !"
    The ads wouldn't have made sense with two people of the same race.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, they could have had someone dressed all in black and someone all in white. I know this wouldn't be quite the same though.

Actually spy vs. spy would have been an awesome way to do that ad.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    o hai, enjoi

Zelda Rap

Hahaha, what the fuck is up with the whole "your parents help you hook it up!" thing? Have any of us not had to program their parent's VCR at least half a dozen times over the years?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My personal most hated ad was the print ad for the original DoaX. It was just an xbox controller with a single hand on it.

ugh... just UGH

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93KrnZ0UJQk

This isn't really game related, but just too goddamn funny (no way its real though). Lolsony.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zek on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDY7F6EUhVI

The US commercial for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I still can't believe it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png