Options

[Pander On]: Worst examples of advertisement (G&T Related)

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Greg USN wrote: »
    o hai, enjoi

Zelda Rap

Hahaha, what the fuck is up with the whole "your parents help you hook it up!" thing? Have any of us not had to program their parent's VCR at least half a dozen times over the years?

I remeber when they were talking about the NES and sega's master system and then ataris obscure gaming computer POS. "adult help will be needed" LAWLZ.

All It required was a working knowledge of co-ax cable and how not to be essentially retarded with something you can use your hands to screw on and off.

The late 80's. When too much coke was involved in the marketing department, and it shows.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zek wrote: »

Really? I actually thought it was quite well done. The choice of music especially made it for me, being a Donnie Darko fan.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You.. just Die.. I love that commercial.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Lost Odyssey tv ad had really poor choice in music.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Well, they could have had someone dressed all in black and someone all in white. I know this wouldn't be quite the same though.

Actually spy vs. spy would have been an awesome way to do that ad.

Yes, Spy vs Spy would have been the shit

I love those guys

That would have worked so much better

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah I know man so bad it won an award from Cannes for best use of music.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ziac45 wrote: »

You.. just Die.. I love that commercial.

I also liked it. So there. And stuff.

Chris W on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Really? I actually thought it was quite well done. The choice of music especially made it for me, being a Donnie Darko fan.

I agree, I like how it doesn't feel like a typical ad, without being obnoxious.

0blique on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I dont know about you guys but I fucking loved those PSP commercials.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That is the best video game commercial ever, and one of the best commercials I've seen for any product. It's brilliant.

elevature on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDY7F6EUhVI

The US commercial for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I still can't believe it.

I don't remember ever seeing this but man, that is terrible

But at least I know how to pronounce Marche's name now

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess it's alright if you try to imagine deep emotional undertones in Gears of War, but last time I checked that game is actually about a squad of grizzled military badasses gunning down an endless swarm of vicious monsters. That commercial looks like something that would have gotten a million views as a Youtube Poop called "ALIENS DIE WHILE I PLAY UNFITTING MUSIC."

Zek on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly I think the reaction to that ad was more racist than the add itself. If it had been two white people, no one would have said anything, two black people, nothing, two chinese people? nothing. But "oh shit, two people who aren't exactly identical!! Call the rest of the nutjobs, we're going a protestin' !"

:|
    So, lemme make sure I'm reading this right. You're saying that someone who considers the image of a white person dominating a black person with text implying that white is better than black is racist, but who DOESN'T consider the image of one person dominating another person of the same race, with text implying (I'm assuming) that both colors are equal is not racist?

I mean, come on. The billboard is clearly implying that White is Better than Black, using a white person and a black person to demonstrate. I would personally murder anyone who tried to make a race issue out of two people of the same race being shown in the same position. In other words, your statement makes no sense.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »

Mar - Shay? Whoops...

Thanks internet, I learn something new everyday!

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    o hai, enjoi

Zelda Rap

Hahaha, what the fuck is up with the whole "your parents help you hook it up!" thing? Have any of us not had to program their parent's VCR at least half a dozen times over the years?

Yeah and back then it was as complicated as plugging in an RF adapter or Y/W/R if you were lucky hehe

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Honestly I think the reaction to that ad was more racist than the add itself. If it had been two white people, no one would have said anything, two black people, nothing, two chinese people? nothing. But "oh shit, two people who aren't exactly identical!! Call the rest of the nutjobs, we're going a protestin' !"

:|
    So, lemme make sure I'm reading this right. You're saying that someone who considers the image of a white person dominating a black person with text implying that white is better than black is racist, but who DOESN'T consider the image of one person dominating another person of the same race, with text implying (I'm assuming) that both colors are equal is not racist?

I mean, come on. The billboard is clearly implying that White is Better than Black, using a white person and a black person to demonstrate. I would personally murder anyone who tried to make a race issue out of two people of the same race being shown in the same position. In other words, your statement makes no sense.

There were billboards with the roles reversed so, no, it was not clearly implying white is better than black. It still was a poor choice since if you only see one billboard it can easily be taken out of context.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy shit the Racist PSP adds.

Actually the most annoying part of them is "too cool for school" announcer guy.
    peeessspee... its like playing with your nuuuutz with your mooouth...

Seriously though, the best ads ever have to go to Jack in the Box
    http://http://www.clipplay.com/play-8969-Jack_In_The_Box_COPS_Commercial.html

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I laughed until I cried:

media?id=2967706
    The only thing featured in this ad that I have even the slightest desire to possess is a pair of sneakers with "KICK A" written across the bottom. At least, that's what I decided when I finally came to after I passed out giggling at "More ways to win with STD."

P.S.
    That kid is either afflicted with progeria or too damn old to be wearing his hat backwards.

The kid looks like John Edwards or something.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.killernic.com/

Everything in that site.

You think you've rewritten the windows network stack and gotten noticeably better performance? No. You think processing network traffic is a huge load on the CPU? And it's $160. Jesus christ on a pogostick. It almost makes me like the product for stealing money from people dumb enough to buy one.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know I think sony did it right with FFVII: Crisis Core. Show some sweet FMV with music. Although it could be misleading to the un-informed. At least they used Game Assets and no stupid gimicks.

Also the Army of Two advert was kind of cool as well as the assassian's creed ones.

I was working retail during the whole dawn of fmv as ads thing that began around the time FFVII came out, and you can imagine my surprise at the number of people who would come in and angrily ask for a refund or exchange because "they thought the whole game would be like that".
    I was not surprised. Or amused.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PC_2000_daikatana_infamous_ad.jpg

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SUCK IT DOWN.

They should have sent a poet!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    o hai, enjoi

Zelda Rap

Back in those days, parents would be paranoid about their kids messing with ANYTHING behind the television (think RF switch), you know, all those wires, and metal. We could have gotten shocked or something. Forget the fact that they didn't have a clue what was actually going on.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    o hai, enjoi

Zelda Rap

Back in those days, parents would be paranoid about their kids messing with ANYTHING behind the television (think RF switch), you know, all those wires, and metal. We could have gotten shocked or something. Forget the fact that they didn't have a clue what was actually going on.

I once took a dreamcast to my friend's house and hooked it up, his parents asked me to be sure I hooked his psx back up before I left, because it took them 2 hours to plug it in when they first got it. At that point I lost all faith in the older generation's ability to use technology.

Arrath on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    More olol Sony fuel:

080306-whitebits.jpg

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What does that even mean?

Pemulis on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Will thou save the girl.. or play like one?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    White bits is almost slang for underwear.#

As somebody who has to write this shit for a living (see sig), it is difficult to get a balance between being a hopeless shill and still avoiding the inevitable fights with PR when I cross over into "genuinely funny / entertaining" territory

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Howabout the George Romero directed, Resident Evil 2 commericals that I never saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjNHsfofME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtIO5eRjAg&feature=related

And yes, that is Brad Renfro.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »

Mar - Shay? Whoops...

Thanks internet, I learn something new everyday!

Er, actually, the commercial pronounces it wrong. It's not even pronounced that way in Japanese. His name is written like so マーシュ "maashu" (according to wikipedia), and that would be pronounced "Mah-sh" /"Mahrch" basically.
    So in other words, you all were probably pronouncing it the right way in the first place.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Lost Odyssey tv ad had really poor choice in music.

Yeah, it's a good commercial visually and I like Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" but the two just do not fit together in that commercial.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    White bits is almost slang for underwear.#

As somebody who has to write this shit for a living (see sig), it is difficult to get a balance between being a hopeless shill and still avoiding the inevitable fights with PR when I cross over into "genuinely funny / entertaining" territory

Yeah, I could never be in advertising.

Still, this one seems especially bad... So a PSP will get you laid? By your girlfriend? Or does it mean that the white PSPs are for girls?

Although I will agree with what someone said before, sometimes ads are annoying on purpose because it gets people to talk about them. I hate that one Nike commercial with some song that has a high pitched electronic beep in it - but damned if I don't look every time it is on.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No, it means you can use it to view photos. And they're implying a modern sexy lifestyle by suggesting those photos would be of your girlfriends knickers.

I don't have a PSP, but I certainly don't keep the photos of my girlfriends tits on my iPhone. Everyone always snoops through them.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    White bits are the marks left underneath underwear after tanning, guys.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I mentioned it before, but in the same series of ads -

pspadjumphh3.jpg

This was in a train station.

A place where people frequently commit suicide by taking a running jump.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I like that one.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, it was on the far wall of the stations platform, ie there was the track between the platform and that ad.

I saw it, they took it down like 10 minutes after they put it up. Stupid stupid Sony ad agencies.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Because suicide is edgy... I guess. What's next? A sign next to a gas pump stating "Drink This Game Fuel!"

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The one in Oxford road station in Manchester was there for at least a week.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not a specific ad, but whoever Funcom put in charge of handling ads in the free version of Anarchy Online deserves a fucking beating. Not that I have anything against in-game ads when done properly, oh no: it's more the fact that they loop the SAME FUCKING RETARDED OLD SPICE AD EVERY FIFTEEN FUCKING SECONDS.

I am going to kill the next person I hear doing the Old Spice whistle, I swear on it.

Sorenson on