Options

[Belts On] The World Ends With You

• Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I haven't been able to tell from reviews: is there a lefty control option using the buttons in place of the d-pad for the second part of the controls? I'm lusting after this game enough to buy it even at the Square premium price, as long as that option's available. It's pretty standard for DS game like this, but you never know.
    I've been listening out for that tidbit of info as well. I believe I heard in a podcast that there are indeed lefty controls by way of the face buttons.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I haven't been able to tell from reviews: is there a lefty control option using the buttons in place of the d-pad for the second part of the controls? I'm lusting after this game enough to buy it even at the Square premium price, as long as that option's available. It's pretty standard for DS game like this, but you never know.
    I've been listening out for that tidbit of info as well. I believe I heard in a podcast that there are indeed lefty controls by way of the face buttons.
    Yeah both the d-pad and the L toggle controls are mirrored on the other side so you could use left handed stylus control.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seriously, it's very, very good.

*snip*

This is the kind of glowing praise I needed to hear. Looks like I'm buying this.

Captain K on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, fine. I'll buy this when budget permits.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So this is a JRPG?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This is pretty interesting so far. The dual-screen combat's going to take getting used to, and the "street" attitude can come across as a little silly sometimes, but it's certainly promising.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So this is a JRPG?

its an action-jrpg. Think tales of... deep rpg, party, story, but with franticly awesome real time combat

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    and the "street" attitude can come across as a little silly sometimes, but it's certainly promising.

Aww. This is exactly what I was afraid of. It may end up being light, but street attitude is just as bad as darkly dark lightness of hearty darkness.

I'll need to see if I can find some screens of dialogue.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just FYI if you're an artist or whatever. There's a small design contest over on DeviantArt with this game. Deadline for entries is April 22nd, but you can win a free copy of the game if you're picked as a winner (10 winners total). It's judged by the dev. team and a couple of moderators over there.

They also have storyboards/concept art and such up for use in the contest, but it's pretty cool to look at too.

Contest story: http://news.deviantart.com/article/45697/
    Concept art/storyboards: http://wewy.deviantart.com/

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They showed this on the newest 1up show and it looks awesome. The music fits the style and the battle system looks great.

I'm very excited for this.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    and the "street" attitude can come across as a little silly sometimes, but it's certainly promising.

Aww. This is exactly what I was afraid of. It may end up being light, but street attitude is just as bad as darkly dark lightness of hearty darkness.

I'll need to see if I can find some screens of dialogue.

Actually, no, aside from treasure being called "bling", it's not nearly as bad.

Anyway, having got a little further, this game is great and all of you should buy it. Battle system alone earns it points.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I guess this meant "less than six hours from now I'll be playing the game with frothing intensity?"

Captain K on
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd just like to let you guys know, I just got the game, but I haven't played it and won't be playing it for a couple of weeks.

Yes, I know, It's a good story, isn't it?

Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd just like to let you guys know, I just got the game, but I haven't played it and won't be playing it for a couple of weeks.

Place your bets here, taking bets now, dicks valid as currency. 2 to 1 odds he plays it before 'a couple of weeks' is up. 3 to 1 odds he plays it before sunday. 4 to 1 odds he's playing right now!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grr... I know this game is going to be rather easy, too. Then again, Shiren the Wanderer is hard but I'm not enjoying it as much. I'll get back to that game after finals. I guess replay value is the winner.
    Just FYI if you're an artist or whatever. There's a small design contest over on DeviantArt with this game. Deadline for entries is April 22nd, but you can win a free copy of the game if you're picked as a winner (10 winners total). It's judged by the dev. team and a couple of moderators over there.

They also have storyboards/concept art and such up for use in the contest, but it's pretty cool to look at too.

Contest story: http://news.deviantart.com/article/45697/
    Concept art/storyboards: http://wewy.deviantart.com/

More loli hips. Oh dear...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It's really called bling? Damn it. I like games that use a variety of settings ... classical, medieval, everything from 1910-1980, future-y sci-fi type worlds, but I can't stand this gangsta/urban crap. I'll have to rent it and see if I can stand the sucker. I hate to miss a good game because I don't like the atmosphere, but it's such an important part of the game.

Pixel Blue on
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

Place your bets here, taking bets now, dicks valid as currency. 2 to 1 odds he plays it before 'a couple of weeks' is up. 3 to 1 odds he plays it before sunday. 4 to 1 odds he's playing right now!

Them's good odds. But wait... If you bet a dick and win at 4 to 1 odds then what do you win? Oh dear...

Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah both the d-pad and the L toggle controls are mirrored on the other side so you could use left handed stylus control.
    Well, looks like I'm out forty bucks then because that makes this game an insta-buy.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But wait... If you bet a dick and win at 4 to 1 odds then what do you win? Oh dear...

If X dicks are good, then 4X dicks are four times as good.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

I guess this meant "less than six hours from now I'll be playing the game with frothing intensity?"

Yep.
    Pixel Blue wrote: »

It's really called bling? Damn it. I like games that use a variety of settings ... classical, medieval, everything from 1910-1980, future-y sci-fi type worlds, but I can't stand this gangsta/urban crap. I'll have to rent it and see if I can stand the sucker. I hate to miss a good game because I don't like the atmosphere, but it's such an important part of the game.

It's less gangsta in the style of 50 cent and more street in the style of Jet Set Radio, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    The "bling" is by far the biggest problem.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But wait... If you bet a dick and win at 4 to 1 odds then what do you win? Oh dear...

If X dicks are good, then 4X dicks are four times as good.

See... someone gets it.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's less gangsta in the style of 50 cent and more street in the style of Jet Set Radio, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Jet Set Radio was not an appealing setting either.

I'll just have to see for myself.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Some are saying that the EU version is less changed from the japanese original than the US version. Anyone know how accurate this is?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yep.
    Pixel Blue wrote: »

Man it only says bling for like half a second when you get an item in battle.

Honestly it isn't even really that "urban" except for the locations which makes sense because thats how Shibuya looks.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This also seems so far to have the most interesting plot I've seen in a Squinx title in a long, long time.
    By which I mean a plot that is interesting at all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They should've had Hideki Naganuma compose this game's score for the full effect.

If he did, I buy this day one.

The JSR-esque setting is the main reason I'm interested in this.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The score actually reminds me of Persona 3.
    Not quite as good, but similar style.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game looks sweet, I didn't know it was coming out this month.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm a little hesitant to pick this up since the last PA recommendation I got from the G&T was Contact.

Which wasn't as good as you guys said it was going to be.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ghostalker wrote: »
    I'm a little hesitant to pick this up since the last PA recommendation I got from the G&T was Contact.

Which wasn't as good as you guys said it was going to be.

This doesn't rely on memes from 4chan as a gimmick though.

Also I suppose I should include the pokemon aspect of the pin system in the op.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those hips <3

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I added a few more things to the OP that I forgot to add.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This is also the first RPG I have ever encountered with real crowds, instead of spares streets that seem to have been hit with a plague lately.

Also, the reviews on this are a hell of a lot better than Contact.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Jet Set Radio was not an appealing setting either.

I'll just have to see for myself.

This opinion is damnation-worthy. JSR/JGR is pretty much the pinnacle of synergizing setting with gameplay - you couldn't remove one in that game without the other suffering badly.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How come play.com and amazon.co.uk don't have this in stock when the release date is today?!
    This is quite mind-blowing... I want it!!

Snare on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    How come play.com and amazon.co.uk don't have this in stock when the release date is today?!
    This is quite mind-blowing... I want it!!

It is odd, especially given that one of the shops in this city had it in since Wednesday.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game is so awesome.

The story reminds me of an emo-ish version of the anime Gantz for some reason.

Which is a good thing, since I loved that anime.

omega71 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I picked this up so I've got something to play on my trip. Seems okay so far, although looking at both screens in combat has made me go blind.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I picked this up so I've got something to play on my trip. Seems okay so far, although looking at both screens in combat has made me go blind.

In the OP it's not very clear about how combat is handled. Having no access to videos and whatnot at my current location, could you please elaborate on it for me? From what I understand the chick uses a combo system to do attacks... what's a combo system? From the screenshot I have seen it just looks like you hit directions on the D-Pad and you do attacks... but how do you move around? I thought this was an Action RPG... the dude's moves I kind understand more, tapping and slashing enemies... but how does he move around?

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The difference between a good pin selection and a bad one is staggeringly vast.
    I just wish all my best pins would stop mastering so I don't feel guilty about using them.

Xagarath on