Options

[Belts On] The World Ends With You

1356754

Posts

  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I picked this up so I've got something to play on my trip. Seems okay so far, although looking at both screens in combat has made me go blind.

    In the OP it's not very clear about how combat is handled. Having no access to videos and whatnot at my current location, could you please elaborate on it for me? From what I understand the chick uses a combo system to do attacks... what's a combo system? From the screenshot I have seen it just looks like you hit directions on the D-Pad and you do attacks... but how do you move around? I thought this was an Action RPG... the dude's moves I kind understand more, tapping and slashing enemies... but how does he move around?

    You move the dude around by dragging him with the stylus, pretty much.
    You cannot move the top screen character.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I picked this up so I've got something to play on my trip. Seems okay so far, although looking at both screens in combat has made me go blind.

    In the OP it's not very clear about how combat is handled. Having no access to videos and whatnot at my current location, could you please elaborate on it for me? From what I understand the chick uses a combo system to do attacks... what's a combo system? From the screenshot I have seen it just looks like you hit directions on the D-Pad and you do attacks... but how do you move around? I thought this was an Action RPG... the dude's moves I kind understand more, tapping and slashing enemies... but how does he move around?
    You hit the d-pad to make your partner attack, you can't move her. The guy is controlled (And moved) by using the stylus, which can be a bit of a pain as each attack(pin) has its own motion and some of them are a bit of a pain to pull off (in fact the fire attack you get first is the least reliable I've come across so far).

    By attacking in synchronisation you bounce a green ball between you that boosts your attack power. And later you can pull of combos if you make the girl do the right attacks in sequence.

    You can also just set the top screen to autopilot and ignore her if you like, but I'm a man and that is not how a man plays his games.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I picked this up so I've got something to play on my trip. Seems okay so far, although looking at both screens in combat has made me go blind.

    In the OP it's not very clear about how combat is handled. Having no access to videos and whatnot at my current location, could you please elaborate on it for me? From what I understand the chick uses a combo system to do attacks... what's a combo system? From the screenshot I have seen it just looks like you hit directions on the D-Pad and you do attacks... but how do you move around? I thought this was an Action RPG... the dude's moves I kind understand more, tapping and slashing enemies... but how does he move around?
    You hit the d-pad to make your partner attack, you can't move her. The guy is controlled (And moved) by using the stylus, which can be a bit of a pain as each attack(pin) has its own motion and some of them are a bit of a pain to pull off (in fact the fire attack you get first is the least reliable I've come across so far).

    By attacking in synchronisation you bounce a green ball between you that boosts your attack power. And later you can pull of combos if you make the girl do the right attacks in sequence.

    You can also just set the top screen to autopilot and ignore her if you like, but I'm a man and that is not how a man plays his games.


    Rrraawrr! Amen Mojo... jojo? wait, what? Anyway, cool, thanks for the run down.

    Sooo... what are the odds of this ever coming out for the PSP (or on 360 arcade)... pretty slim?

    Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

    Sooo... what are the odds of this ever coming out for the PSP (or on 360 arcade)... pretty slim?
    Nonexistant.
    It's based entirely around a touch-screen interface.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you'd read the roundtable discussion I posted earlier in the thread, you'll realize that many of the dev's ideas got rejected for the simple reason that 'A machine other than the DS could pull this off'.

    So... yeah. They were really focused on using the DS's capabilities here.

    Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    If you'd read the roundtable discussion I posted earlier in the thread, you'll realize that many of the dev's ideas got rejected for the simple reason that 'A machine other than the DS could pull this off'.

    So... yeah. They were really focused on using the DS's capabilities here.

    "We set out to create a game that can only be played on the DS".
    I'd say they succeeded rather well.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    If you'd read the roundtable discussion I posted earlier in the thread, you'll realize that many of the dev's ideas got rejected for the simple reason that 'A machine other than the DS could pull this off'.

    So... yeah. They were really focused on using the DS's capabilities here.

    "We set out to create a game that can only be played on the DS".
    I'd say they succeeded rather well.

    Yeah... much to my dismay. Perhaps one day I'll have more of a reason to get a DS and pick this up. I've bought a system specifically for a game before (my ps1 was bought specifically for FFVII) but that was quite awhile ago and now I have other little priorities to feed.

    Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm really liking the music sample in the OP.

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    If you'd read the roundtable discussion I posted earlier in the thread, you'll realize that many of the dev's ideas got rejected for the simple reason that 'A machine other than the DS could pull this off'.

    So... yeah. They were really focused on using the DS's capabilities here.

    "We set out to create a game that can only be played on the DS".
    I'd say they succeeded rather well.

    Yeah... much to my dismay. Perhaps one day I'll have more of a reason to get a DS and pick this up. I've bought a system specifically for a game before (my ps1 was bought specifically for FFVII) but that was quite awhile ago and now I have other little priorities to feed.

    With all the awesome stuff out on the DS I can't imagine why you wouldn't one to get one.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone on the fence about buying this game I can tell you right now you should buy it immediately. I still love gaming but anymore I can rarely find a game that can keep my attention long enough to play 3 hours of it let alone complete it and I can not put this game down and will no doubt get a full playthrough from me. I can definitely say this is the best DS game I have played and hands down the most interesting and innovative RPG I have played in a long time on ANY console. This is coming from a guy who gets bored and cant stomach to finish a DQ 8 or Final Fantasy game for the life of me.

    Lehman on
    Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lehman wrote: »
    Anyone on the fence about buying this game I can tell you right now you should buy it immediately. I still love gaming but anymore I can rarely find a game that can keep my attention long enough to play 3 hours of it let alone complete it and I can not put this game down and will no doubt get a full playthrough from me. I can definitely say this is the best DS game I have played and hands down the most interesting and innovative RPG I have played in a long time on ANY console. This is coming from a guy who gets bored and cant stomach to finish a DQ 8 or Final Fantasy game for the life of me.

    I recommend to you Persona 3.
    A lot more length and grinding, but the feel is similarly fresh.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This needs to be out in the US YESTERDAY. I have lost my patience, dammit!

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone remember the last time we saw Squinx release an original IP, by the way?
    Last Remnant, not being out, doesn't count.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Project Sylpheed?

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    Project Sylpheed?

    Huh. Did not know that was them.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd completely forgotten about this game until I saw the IGN review yesterday. It sounds like a great change of pace for RPGs and for a DS game. I can't wait to give this one a go, but I'm sure as shit not paying $40 for a DS game. Seriously, fuck that. I'll wait and grab it used somewhere such as Amazon.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    Project Sylpheed?

    Huh. Did not know that was them.

    GameArts developed that, so it technically doesn't count.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bullio wrote: »
    I'd completely forgotten about this game until I saw the IGN review yesterday. It sounds like a great change of pace for RPGs and for a DS game. I can't wait to give this one a go, but I'm sure as shit not paying $40 for a DS game. Seriously, fuck that. I'll wait and grab it used somewhere such as Amazon.

    A game like this is worth $40 I'd say. Hell most console games for $40 aren't even this good.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most console games for 60 aren't this good. Especially not in this genre.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    After watching some more videos....holy FUCK does that look complicated. DDR style drirectional combos WHILE doing touchscreen attacks, and you have you sync them to launch combos?

    I'm going to love sucking at this game, I can tell already.

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game looks interesting. Might pick it up with my next paycheck.

    Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game is really fun. I'm a good ways into it and will probably finish it (Which is weird for me, btw). It has a fairly interesting plot, the characters are nice (once you get past the beginning) and the gameplay is fun.

    I recommend everyone give it a shot, really. Particularly if you were already on the fence about it.

    Kyanilis on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bullio wrote: »
    I'd completely forgotten about this game until I saw the IGN review yesterday. It sounds like a great change of pace for RPGs and for a DS game. I can't wait to give this one a go, but I'm sure as shit not paying $40 for a DS game. Seriously, fuck that. I'll wait and grab it used somewhere such as Amazon.

    I had to pay £25 for it ($50 in your silly currency)
    It has been well worth it so far.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Urgh- here in Dublin it's 44.99-50.00 EUR.
    XE tells me that's... 70 DOLLA SOLDIERBOY!!!
    No wonder they call it rip-off Ireland.

    On another note, would anyone know where i might be able to get a plain wallpaper, of that stylised 'skull and crossbones' logo from the game (you know, the one that was on the special edition DS that accompanied the game in Japan)? I'd try to photoshop it, but my photo-fu is weak.

    DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Really, that expensive in Ireland? I bought it for 40 euros here (here being the Netherlands) last thursday. Course, as much as I want to play it I promised myself I'd save it for the next upcoming long train ride. Gah, the game is taunting me right now, begging me to pick it up and play.

    Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just got this game and I'm finding it real hard D: anyone have any tips on doing well? I keep on dying...

    Edit: Nevermind, somehow I'm suddenly awesome at it... Funny dat.

    Daxon on
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    I just got this game and I'm finding it real hard D: anyone have any tips on doing well? I keep on dying...

    Set your partner to auto from the menu, try different combos of pins and always carry that one that can restore health with you... You can also turn it to easy mode once it's unlocked.

    *Ahem* I mean, I just heard this stuff... On the net... Somewhere. Yeah, that's it. Totally haven't gotten addicted to it and forgotten about the work I had to do.

    Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    I just got this game and I'm finding it real hard D: anyone have any tips on doing well? I keep on dying...

    Set your partner to auto from the menu, try different combos of pins and always carry that one that can restore health with you... You can also turn it to easy mode once it's unlocked.

    *Ahem* I mean, I just heard this stuff... On the net... Somewhere. Yeah, that's it. Totally haven't gotten addicted to it and forgotten about the work I had to do.

    The combat really clicks once you find pins that work the way you like.

    Also don't forget to use the sub set commands for pin commands that overlap. It works absolute wonders for busting out certain pins that sometimes get mixed up.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah the subpin thing is great. Also, as much as I hate anything remotely gangsta I get the feeling this game is actually just making fun of it. C'mon there's an item class called swag, and loot is called bling.

    Also, the emo intro made me laugh. A lot. Am I a bad person?

    Daxon on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I find healing pins aren't necessary in most fights, actually. Fusion attacks are often enough.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I find healing pins aren't necessary in most fights, actually. Fusion attacks are often enough.

    When you start stacking 4 fights on hard at level 1.. yeah a healing pin is an absolute must.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I find healing pins aren't necessary in most fights, actually. Fusion attacks are often enough.

    When you start stacking 4 fights on hard at level 1.. yeah a healing pin is an absolute must.

    Fair enough. I haven't got around to using hard yet.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When/where do you get new pins? I'm at the A-east mission (with the blackout and stuff) and I haven't gotten any new pins since that iceshard thing that pops out of the ground...

    Daxon on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    When/where do you get new pins? I'm at the A-east mission (with the blackout and stuff) and I haven't gotten any new pins since that iceshard thing that pops out of the ground...

    You can get pins 4 ways, monster drops, shops, plot events, and evolutions.

    Shops don't really open up until like day 4 or 5. As long as you experiment with the level/difficulty system you should be fine on new pins.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm just starting day 4 now, hopefully I'll be able to get a few more attacks now cause even with me playing at level 1 and medium difficulty (hard isn't unlocked yet) I haven't got any new ones via drops...

    Also, do you guys beat every single monster in an area before moving on? I did at first then decided following the story is a bit more fun so I kinda mix the two now.

    Daxon on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does this game require you to use the L button in any way? the L button on my DS is broken and I can't really afford a new one right now, but if I don't need one to play this I'll pick it up this week. I've been looking forward to it for a while now and didn't realize it was out.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    When/where do you get new pins? I'm at the A-east mission
    (with the blackout and stuff)
    and I haven't gotten any new pins since
    that iceshard thing that pops out of the ground...

    Fixed? Some of us actually don't have it yet... and might not have it for awhile unfortunately.

    Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does this game require you to use the L button in any way? the L button on my DS is broken and I can't really afford a new one right now, but if I don't need one to play this I'll pick it up this week. I've been looking forward to it for a while now and didn't realize it was out.

    The L button can be used to make lining up your attacks a little easier, but it's not necessary.
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    When/where do you get new pins? I'm at the A-east mission
    (with the blackout and stuff)
    and I haven't gotten any new pins since
    that iceshard thing that pops out of the ground...

    Fixed? Some of us actually don't have it yet... and might not have it for awhile unfortunately.

    ...That's not really how spoilers work...

    Those things have no relevance to the plot and don't exactly spoil anything.

    Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does this game require you to use the L button in any way? the L button on my DS is broken and I can't really afford a new one right now, but if I don't need one to play this I'll pick it up this week. I've been looking forward to it for a while now and didn't realize it was out.

    You can use the R button too.

    It isn't really necessary though. You can just set pins to only activate if you have the L/R button held down. So if you have two pins that use a touch enemy command you can set one to L/R so you can pick rather then it being kind of random otherwise.



    Just keep playing Daxon some of the shops you go to during the blackout mish sell some pins but it isn't too important to stay on top of your pins until later.

    In fact in the beginning its better to stick to one set of pins to level them up.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it just me, or are the object dragging pins next-to-useless?
    I don't think I've yet managed to damage anything with them.
    The flinging seem much better.

    Xagarath on
Sign In or Register to comment.