Options

[Belts On] The World Ends With You

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You mean the telekinesis? Those are hellishly fun. Love dumping SUVs onto my enemies <3

Daxon on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are the object dragging pins next-to-useless?
    I don't think I've yet managed to damage anything with them.
    The flinging seem much better.

They do a shit ton of damage but not every fight has stuff to toss so ultimately they aren't as good as the other attack pins.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was distinguishing between the telekineses where you throw stuff and the ones where you drag and hold.
    I find the former useful and the latter useless.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was distinguishing between the telekineses where you throw stuff and the ones where you drag and hold.
    I find the former useful and the latter useless.

I dunno I found the drag and hold ones to be more effective then the toss.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm no good at this, for top-screen combat, all I've been doing is hitting left or right enough times to do an attack. (On Day 2, if that matters >_>)

Zetx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    I'm no good at this, for top-screen combat, all I've been doing is hitting left or right enough times to do an attack. (On Day 2, if that matters >_>)

You can just set it to automatic and focus on the bottom screen if you don't want to deal with it. You wont really be weaker you are just more effective if you use both screens.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When playing the import I only ever needed to take control of the top screen for the penultimate boss - well, I would have for the final boss, but 1) he's weird, gameplay-wise and 2) I was so frigging under-levelled I had to set it to easy anyway. I did have my level set fairly high, I suppose. Still, it's a great system, it's just arguably pretty under-used.

Nice to see people liking it. I've only given my English copy a few minutes' play - still the same great game, though I'm really not liking the voice acting, the gangsta 'tude as portrayed by the localisation or the horrendous fonts for the opening cutscene(s). Other than that, it'll do.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, so far I've just been frantically pushing left and right a bunch, where appropriate and it seems to work alright... I haven't really seen a real need for the up/down portions of the combo.

Zetx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just got to day 7... Also, I've found this really useful list of all the pins and how they evolve (assuming they can):

Here

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Voicing seems fine to me, all in all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, so far I've just been frantically pushing left and right a bunch, where appropriate and it seems to work alright... I haven't really seen a real need for the up/down portions of the combo.

Charging the specials - as in watching to see what D-pad combo you're actually pressing - is fairly useful for rapidly clearing out enemies, but the AI still does this every now and then even if you leave it on auto.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Damn, the
    Second GM
    is a considerable difficulty hike. Nothing I have seems to do much damage to him, and he's difficult to dodge. Is this normal?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I used to think that as well, but then I learned how to use the dragging pins. You find an object you want, hold the stylus over it (about half a second) until you pick it up. Be sure to hold it for slightly longer than when the graphic indicator appears as the grip doesn't appear quite as sturdy unless you hold your stylus there for that extra short moment. Then you need to do rapid, small circles around the enemies you want to hit. You will easily do tons of damage this way The biggest drawback to this is that you're standing still during this time. However, you should rack up the damage. Bigger items use up the pin faster; I typically go for medium sized signs.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, this isn't out in the US, right? Everywhere I look it says it should be coming the 22nd. I know it's out in the UK but I've noticed a few people with US locations talking about it and I just want to play this

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Apparently some places have broken street date (see also: lol piracy) and so some U.S. folks are playing it early.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you noted to locations of most of the posters you would see that they are from the UK... The other ones have obviously imported and individually translated the game.

Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cobell wrote: »

I used to think that as well, but then I learned how to use the dragging pins. You find an object you want, hold the stylus over it (about half a second) until you pick it up. Be sure to hold it for slightly longer than when the graphic indicator appears as the grip doesn't appear quite as sturdy unless you hold your stylus there for that extra short moment. Then you need to do rapid, small circles around the enemies you want to hit. You will easily do tons of damage this way The biggest drawback to this is that you're standing still during this time. However, you should rack up the damage. Bigger items use up the pin faster; I typically go for medium sized signs.

Yeah thats why the only hold and drag pins I use are the massive fire pins cause they stun everything thats burning allowing you to just barbecue the whole map while all the noise is squirming in the fire.

As for people playing it early. Imports for the win!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Soh Cah Toa!

Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!

That guy is AWESOME.
    Let's see your limit as I tend towards infinity.
    I hope everyone got the 'Soh Cah Toa' bit. I was laughing my ass off when I heard that.

Overuse of spoilersed!

Player_Zero on
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Soh Cah Toa!

Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!

That guy is AWESOME.

Except when you fight him, when he turns into a bastard who is actually forcing me to grind for the first time this game.
    Partly because my pride won't let me select Easy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Soh Cah Toa!

Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!

That guy is AWESOME.
    Let's see your limit as I tend towards infinity.
    I hope everyone got the 'Soh Cah Toa' bit. I was laughing my ass off when I heard that.

Overuse of spoilersed!

All must bow before the Grim Heaper!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Soh Cah Toa!

Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!

That guy is AWESOME.

Except when you fight him, when he turns into a bastard who is actually forcing me to grind for the first time this game.
    Partly because my pride won't let me select Easy.

You think you've got it rough? I've been playing on hard since I unlocked it. :P

It's not so bad, though, really.

Player_Zero on
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll buy the game just for math jokes.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'll buy the game just for math jokes.

High five! ...No? ...Godamnit...
    ...TANGENT!

Player_Zero on
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    most places in Canada have this listed at $44.99. That's a $15 SE tax. I was interested in this, but there's no way I'm spending that much on a DS game. Guess I'll wait till I can find it used.

elevature on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone else notice that every time an RPG is hailed as "fresh," "new," or "unique" it is at least partly the result of designers moving away from random encounters and turn based battles?
    That is because they are horrible gameplay mechanics that are only capable of stimulating oatmeal-eating paperclip enthusiasts. They are going the way of the Dodo. DARWIN WANTS RANDOM ENCOUNTERS DEAD.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Naw man, turn-based fighting doesn't have to be bad. Just because it's a staple of the genre doesn't mean it necessarily sucks.

I think random encounters probably do necessarily suck, though.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that every time an RPG is hailed as "fresh," "new," or "unique" it is at least partly the result of designers moving away from random encounters and turn based battles?
    That is because they are horrible gameplay mechanics that are only capable of stimulating oatmeal-eating paperclip enthusiasts. They are going the way of the Dodo. DARWIN WANTS RANDOM ENCOUNTERS DEAD.

Well.. if thats how you really feel.......

:cry:
    I totally agree. It works so damn well being able to pick how many battles you want. More games need to adopt a system like the one in this.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't want to read all this thread cause I don't want ANY spoilers. But for anyone thinking about getting this, don't even give it another second, GO BUY IT NOW.

Snare on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm playing it because I'm magical. But seriously, I need to play it more, the weekend has been event filled, but I'll get right back to this whenever I wake up.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    It's less gangsta in the style of 50 cent and more street in the style of Jet Set Radio, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    The "bling" is by far the biggest problem.

Jet Set Radio was not an appealing setting either.

I'll just have to see for myself.

This opinion is damnation-worthy. JSR/JGR is pretty much the pinnacle of synergizing setting with gameplay - you couldn't remove one in that game without the other suffering badly.

I was quoting that to yell at him, but someone thankfully got to it before me. Good, good.

I'd like to buy this game, but I don't like to pay more than $25 for DS games. So, I guess I'll be waiting for a used copy to pop up eventually.

Hello, top of the page!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Charging the specials - as in watching to see what D-pad combo you're actually pressing - is fairly useful for rapidly clearing out enemies, but the AI still does this every now and then even if you leave it on auto.

The AI goes so much slower, though. I went from Star-B ratings for Damage and Time to D/E's when I let it do autoplay. Button mashing seems more effective :\

I was kinda freaked out when Neku calculated the square root of 3. wtf?

Zetx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Naw man, turn-based fighting doesn't have to be bad. Just because it's a staple of the genre doesn't mean it necessarily sucks.

Oh my, no. While I do believe that action-oriented gameplay is the future for RPGs, turn based combat, when used to increase the strategic difficulty of a game, is perfectly acceptable and often quite fun.

The challenge is to create a system where boss fights (which should be difficult even independent of the levelling curve) and scrubby level-up fights are both enjoyable. I mean, these are games, so there's really no excuse for any aspect not to be fun. I don't know if any game has really accomplished that though, so maybe I'm just an idealist. In itself, not having random encounters can make turn based combat much more palatable, simply because it allows the player to pick when and how he or she wants to fight.

Hrm, maybe Xenogears? I quit playing a couple times, but it was always because of the random encounters and never the combat.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with too many TBRPGs is that the boss fights consist of 'You attack boss. Boss attacks you. You heal. Rinse, repeat.'

I'd like it if the boss AIs were developed enough so that they could respond to what you're doing, try to set up counters for it, etc. Of course a few of the scrub bosses near the start wouldn't have the benefit for this, but still.

... Actually, the same seems to apply to most aRPGs. Only in a couple games (most of which strictly delineate the place you can move to) do boss fights change into an active reaction game (such as the rather excellent Mega Man Battle Network series, with the sole exception of the boss not countering your attacks per se, because he's flinging so many of his own at you anyway.)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well the nice thing about action RPGs is that, even if the fights are simplistic or easy, you're usually rewarded for beating something especially well. Combos, time bonuses, defense bonuses, damage bonuses and all that fun arcade-spirited stuff really add depth to gameplay even if the bad guys are borderline retarded.

Look at Tales of Symphonia: you could probably win every fight by just mashing Lloyd's standard sword attacks, but the options available - to max combos, switch characters, and go for Grade bonuses - kept the battles light and fun.

From what I've seen, The World Ends With You has this kind of flexibility in spades.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shin Megami Tensei games deal with most of the problems with turn-based combat.
    They still have an awful lot of it, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The AI goes so much slower, though. I went from Star-B ratings for Damage and Time to D/E's when I let it do autoplay. Button mashing seems more effective :\

I was kinda freaked out when Neku calculated the square root of 3. wtf?
    Yeah! I was like, how do you know the first SEVEN decimals of root 3?!

I'm a bit disappointed about the organisational system the game (doesn't) have. When you've got around 300 pins that you can get (in total) and hundreds of different clothing items then you'd think it would make sense for them to have some kind of customisable system (like for example the boxes in pokemon; that worked really well).

On the the whole though the game is excellent. Though the difference between good and bad pin selections is rather jarring at times.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    It's less gangsta in the style of 50 cent and more street in the style of Jet Set Radio, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    The "bling" is by far the biggest problem.

Jet Set Radio was not an appealing setting either.

I'll just have to see for myself.

This opinion is damnation-worthy. JSR/JGR is pretty much the pinnacle of synergizing setting with gameplay - you couldn't remove one in that game without the other suffering badly.

I was quoting that to yell at him, but someone thankfully got to it before me. Good, good.

I'd like to buy this game, but I don't like to pay more than $25 for DS games. So, I guess I'll be waiting for a used copy to pop up eventually.

Hello, top of the page!

Oh right, I forgot to say that I wasn't too hot about the gameplay either. Congruity restored!

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Man, the last time I've enjoyed a game so much was Portal. This is fun. (So I haven't gotten very far since my last post, nonetheless, it's true :P)

Zetx on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone know if Best Buy is getting this? Just wondering since I didn't see it in their system and I just got a $100 Best Buy gift card.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the combat system in this game similar to Kingdom hearts: Chain of memory?

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493