Options

[Belts On] The World Ends With You

1235754

Posts

  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not at all. You get pins, you equip them. The pins you have equipped decide what attacks in battle you can use. You only have the pins you have equipped available to you and the amount of slots you have increases as the game goes on. Each pin has a touch action associated with it so deciding which pins work well with other pins is almost an art form.

    Also, the top screen has the same battle going on, but with a different character, whom fights completely differently (using the d-pad). Battles are -very- involved and pretty fast paced.

    Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Interesting, are there pins that are clearly better than others, or are they all fairly useful?

    Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blue map wrote: »
    Interesting, are there pins that are clearly better than others, or are they all fairly useful?

    Almost none are entirely useless, but some are noticeably better than others.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Blue map wrote: »
    Interesting, are there pins that are clearly better than others, or are they all fairly useful?

    Almost none are entirely useless, but some are noticeably better than others.

    It all depends on how you want to attack really. Some pins are melee attacks like sword slices and thrusts. Others are more along the lines of a hadoken.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses, also im gald to hear that they are all useful in different ways rather than just the normal "this pin does three more damage than the last one".

    Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There are some pins that are kinda like that, but you also gotta take into account "reboot time" (Each pin has a certain number of uses, this is the time before it recharges) "boot up time" (Some pins aren't immediately available at the beginning of a battle, this is how long it takes before you can use it) and number of attacks (Until it has to reboot). Each pin levels up and also can evolve. So the pins you use the most end up being better than your other pins anyway. It really just lets you play however you want.

    Kyanilis on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not all pins evolve though, and the ones that do evolve based on what type of experience you give it (there are three kinds).

    Daxon on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So the regular Noise are easier in Chapter 3 than 2.
    That's just weird.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    So the regular Noise are easier in Chapter 3 than 2.
    That's just weird.

    Are you sure you just didn't get better?

    Ya' know what I found difficult?
    Blue noise... I don't know if they're special bosses or some crap but those things hurt.

    Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    MrFancyPantsMrFancyPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I'm loving this game, just got it. Very early (only like day 3).

    Anyone got some suggestions on how to improve battle score? I managed one star, one A, but most of the time, I get the "E", along with a depressing comment from my partner :| Perhaps I need to practice scribbling more. I tend to get focused to much on the top or bottom. Although the battle system is hectic, it is a refreshing change from the turn-based stuff, IMO.

    So, do I suck? Also, am I the only one scanning randomly for noise to fight every few steps? :)

    (Also, love the music!:whistle: Kinda Jet Set Radio-ish.)

    MrFancyPants on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has anyone seen this yet in Canada?

    Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I'm loving this game, just got it. Very early (only like day 3).

    Anyone got some suggestions on how to improve battle score? I managed one star, one A, but most of the time, I get the "E", along with a depressing comment from my partner :| Perhaps I need to practice scribbling more. I tend to get focused to much on the top or bottom. Although the battle system is hectic, it is a refreshing change from the turn-based stuff, IMO.

    So, do I suck? Also, am I the only one scanning randomly for noise to fight every few steps? :)

    (Also, love the music!:whistle: Kinda Jet Set Radio-ish.)

    What I've done is button mash whichever direction I want the top character to attack, and really focusing more on the bottom.

    My standard pin loadout is
    a slashing attack (slash enemy to get there to attack them), a bullet attack (tap empty space to shoot bullets) and the icicle attack (draw upwards to form an icicle at that location).

    Zetx on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zetx wrote: »

    What I've done is button mash whichever direction I want the top character to attack, and really focusing more on the bottom.

    My standard pin loadout is
    a slashing attack (slash enemy to get there to attack them), a bullet attack (tap empty space to shoot bullets) and the icicle attack (draw upwards to form an icicle at that location).


    That works for me as well. If you try and focus up top you get killed below. There are some stickers that make the combo tree easier. I get mostly stars and As even with a high drop rate. I would replace an attack with a heal pin if you want to do lots of chains. Ive been playing the EU version for a few days and love it, the jPop is my only complaint.

    dscrilla on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »

    What I've done is button mash whichever direction I want the top character to attack, and really focusing more on the bottom.

    My standard pin loadout is
    a slashing attack (slash enemy to get there to attack them), a bullet attack (tap empty space to shoot bullets) and the icicle attack (draw upwards to form an icicle at that location).


    That works for me as well. If you try and focus up top you get killed below. There are some stickers that make the combo tree easier. I get mostly stars and As even with a high drop rate. I would replace an attack with a heal pin if you want to do lots of chains. Ive been playing the EU version for a few days and love it, the jPop is my only complaint.

    Well I just hit the 3rd reapers game and I think the real secret to using the screens is to just follow the light puck. The light puck damage bonus is really too good to avoid by the time you are fight taboo noise.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final boss heals himself far too much.
    Thankfully, with regeneration 3 and jinxed regen stacked, so do I.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    just picked this up (I guess I was the only person to preorder, and I did so last night) and I'm enjoying it a lot. My left arm is kinda cramped already, though - haven't played a stylus game in a while :P

    METAzraeL on

    dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahahahaha
    (Postgame spoilers)
    Another Day bizarro happy Neku is far too amusing for his own good

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »

    What I've done is button mash whichever direction I want the top character to attack, and really focusing more on the bottom.

    My standard pin loadout is
    a slashing attack (slash enemy to get there to attack them), a bullet attack (tap empty space to shoot bullets) and the icicle attack (draw upwards to form an icicle at that location).


    That works for me as well. If you try and focus up top you get killed below. There are some stickers that make the combo tree easier. I get mostly stars and As even with a high drop rate. I would replace an attack with a heal pin if you want to do lots of chains. Ive been playing the EU version for a few days and love it, the jPop is my only complaint.

    Well I just hit the 3rd reapers game and I think the real secret to using the screens is to just follow the light puck. The light puck damage bonus is really too good to avoid by the time you are fight taboo noise.

    Wait, which is the light puck? >_> (Do I get it by the 2nd game?) (or is it that thing which results from the combos up top? (card guessing, etc)

    Zetx on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The green halo thing that flies back and forth between screens. They always say something about when they send it to the other person.

    harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    The green halo thing that flies back and forth between screens. They always say something about when they send it to the other person.

    Ohh, alright. So basically attack with whoever has the puck (for the bonus multiplier), eh?

    Zetx on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    The green halo thing that flies back and forth between screens. They always say something about when they send it to the other person.

    Ohh, alright. So basically attack with whoever has the puck (for the bonus multiplier), eh?

    Yeah but I'm pretty sure it only counts for the first hit or something. An entire stream of bullets won't all get the bonus.

    harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    The green halo thing that flies back and forth between screens. They always say something about when they send it to the other person.

    Ohh, alright. So basically attack with whoever has the puck (for the bonus multiplier), eh?

    Yeah but I'm pretty sure it only counts for the first hit or something. An entire stream of bullets won't all get the bonus.

    No it applies for every hit but the final hit of the combo gets a bigger bonus I believe.


    Also how the fuck do I open the box on the third game to get the key. D:

    And where do they sell the Big Bang pin I need one to use Big Crunch but I haven't seen one.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    This game is an excellent showcase for the unique features of the DS.

    Damn fine game.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahhhh, some of you need to learn to use spoil tags!!!!

    Snare on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I do think this game has some rather needless aspects that don't do anything beyond making it before complex, but I'm chalking that up to having played for two hours straight and in that two hours they throw a lot of shit at you to digest.

    Though I'm skeptical that I'll end up liking trends.

    But fuck fuck fuck is the combat awesome.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So is this game any good?

    I'm choosing between it and Professor Layton. I grew up on Square RPGs, but I've heard good things about Layton.

    YaYa on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I do think this game has some rather needless aspects that don't do anything beyond making it before complex, but I'm chalking that up to having played for two hours straight and in that two hours they throw a lot of shit at you to digest.

    Though I'm skeptical that I'll end up liking trends.

    But fuck fuck fuck is the combat awesome.
    Yeah theres a shitload to keep track of in this. It's not anywhere close to skimpy on the gameplay like most portable games are. Though trends don't really effect much of anything.

    As long as you don't totally pimp out a single brand you will barely ever see a minus effect. Then again if you did have all one brand it would only take like 1 fight to make that brand number 1 so meh it really doesn't matter much unless you run into a wall objective that makes you use one brand.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Want through this wall? Use only Faggot McDickinbuns-brand pins to destroy the noise here.

    I can see that happening.

    harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    Want through this wall? Use only Faggot McDickinbuns-brand pins to destroy the noise here.

    I can see that happening.
    The secret to those are to just run Neku in circles while you rape with the top screen.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    So is this game any good?

    I'm choosing between it and Professor Layton. I grew up on Square RPGs, but I've heard good things about Layton.

    this isn't a classic square rpg at all, if that matters. But yes, it is excellent.

    METAzraeL on

    dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    So is this game any good?

    I'm choosing between it and Professor Layton. I grew up on Square RPGs, but I've heard good things about Layton.

    this isn't a classic square rpg at all, if that matters. But yes, it is excellent.

    If you ask me The World Ends With You is way better then Layton. Much more replayability too.

    randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This game is way to addicting. Every time I level up I adjust my level back down to 1 for better drop rates. Just unlocked hard difficulty so maybe that will force me to bump up my level a bit(I refuse to use anything but the hardest difficulty).
    Just finished Week 2 day 1. Argh, I can't believe I'm saying this but I want Shiki back.

    Shes wearing all my best clothes too. She has those regen III quest earrings and a combined defense of like +24. Her attack and +HP are both really high as well. Ughhhhh.

    Oh, and I exploited the DS clock and mingle mode(using my DS phat in pictochat) to level up Murasame to Kusanagi and Masamune to Yoshimitsu. That might be whats making the game so easy for me :P

    Kin33 on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was just thinking, 'man, I could use a good action RPG, it's been a while.' And I open up G&T, and what do I find? A game I've never heard of that sounds just about perfect. Going to go buy it on a whim now.

    Crimson King on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Incidentally, Neku is more powerful in women's clothing.
    I think the game is trying to tell me something.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Player_ZeroPlayer_Zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Incidentally, Neku is more powerful in women's clothing.
    I think the game is trying to tell me something.

    And earrings. Don't forget the earrings. I make him wear a handbag too. Dress him up reeeeal purty like.

    Player_Zero on
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    For 27 points of damage.
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I beat the game now, had to go down to easy mode for last boss (very very last one). If I didn't have to study for exams I'd have restarted the game to get even more uber but I have no times now D:,

    Also, it feels like I cheated by going down to easy mode because it's so DAMN easy. It's like the final boss does 2 damage ever minute or something, hell I even waste all my heals (by accidentally clicking it) and got through with more than 50% left by the end of the boss.

    Daxon on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    So is this game any good?

    I'm choosing between it and Professor Layton. I grew up on Square RPGs, but I've heard good things about Layton.

    this isn't a classic square rpg at all, if that matters. But yes, it is excellent.

    If you ask me The World Ends With You is way better then Layton. Much more replayability too.

    Yeah, especially since Layton recycles many of its puzzles over the course of the game. By the time you finish it once, you feel like you've already replayed it.

    Dirty on
  • Options
    MrFancyPantsMrFancyPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cripes I'm loving this game. I've also come up with the same pin loadout that has been previously mentioned, works real well. Only on Day 3 so far, mostly due to time constraints (darn work!) The tip for following the light puck I can heartily endorse too. This RPG is like a breath of fresh air after the typical turn-based swords-and-sorcery affairs.

    Just picked up the soundtrack on iTunes too, I like it! I'm such a consumer... :|

    MrFancyPants on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    Want through this wall? Use only Faggot McDickinbuns-brand pins to destroy the noise here.

    I can see that happening.
    The secret to those are to just run Neku in circles while you rape with the top screen.

    Thank you.

    Zetx on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was all ready to buy this game until I saw that it's 40 bucks. That's fucking pricey for a DS game. Now I'm deciding if I should or not.

    Kyougu on
Sign In or Register to comment.