As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: British Invasion Begins...And They Get Their Own Gamertag

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Rock_band_cover.jpg

rock_band.png

Latest News:
  • I was informed by someone from the UK bargains thread that a PA Rock Band Gamertag has been set up for all you UK people. So all you Brits out there feel free to add UK PA Rock Band to your Gamertag list and you'll have access to a list of players who are probably awake the same hours that you are.

  • You can request songs by going to http://www.rockband.com/request_song and registering on Rock Band's official site.

  • If you'd like videos of specific instruments for specific songs, check out Rock Band Content. The most comprehensive and easy-to-navigate site I've seen so far regarding instrumental videos.

  • All you Rock Band players should really consider joining the PA One-Man Rock Band weekly competition. Prizes come in the form of cool sigs! Also extends e-peen and will give new life to eventually every song in your catalog. This may also motivate you to buy DLC songs one at a time to compete, so that's a nice little bonus too.

  • On April 15, "Saints of Los Angeles" by Motley Crue will become the first single released through Rock Band. It will retail at $.99. Source

  • LewieP, being a gentleman and scholar, informed me that I should put this link in the OP. Apparently it contains a cheaper way to get Rock Band for you UK gamers.



I. The Rock Band Store
II. Rock Band Clan Tags
III. Rock Band: A Rundown
IV. The Instruments
V. The Music
VI. Gold Star Cut-Offs
VII. Related Links
VIII. The Credits



I. The Rock Band Store.
rockbandstoremain.jpg
RBmusicstore03-550x.jpg

In this latest software update, you’ll find:

* (New!) Music Store: Rock Band now has a new feature that lets you preview and purchase songs from within the game! Accessible from the main menu, the Music Store lets you view, purchase and sort all available music based on various categories, view album art, listen to song previews, and check out extended information about the song like difficulty for each instrument.

* Revised Fan Caps: To allow Easy, Medium, and Hard players to progress further in the Band World Tour, we’ve increased the number of fans that you can earn before hitting the cap. Easy players can now travel across the Atlantic, Medium players have a wider range of venues they can play at, and Hard players on the Xbox 360 are now able to unlock the “One Million Fans” achievement.

* More diverse songs in Band World Tour: If you’ve ever cursed about having to play “Say it Ain’t So” or a Metallica track multiple times in the same hour, then you’ll be glad to know that we’ve tracked down and fixed the issues that triggered these very repetitive moments in Band World Tour.

* Improved phoneme recognition: We’ve improved the detection and scoring for phoneme recognition. If you had trouble on songs like “Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld” or “Blitzkrieg Bop”, you should have an easier time beating these songs now.

* Microphone Latency on PlayStation 3 improved: Our awesome team of audio programmers has found some optimizations that reduce microphone latency on the PlayStation 3 in certain situations.

* Xbox 360 Band Logos are now visible through Xbox LIVE: An issue with parental controls stopped band logos from being visible over Xbox LIVE. With this update, you can now view all of the awesome band logos that people around the world have created!

* Faster loading of downloadable content: Not only is the loading speed faster, but this information is now cached so that this loading time is a “once only” wait rather than something that happens every time you turn on the game.


II. Rock Band Clan Tags
Here's How It Works: There are two groups. One group is full of people who won't be asshats and quit matches after, like, one song, people that won't hog guitar and will do bass every once in a while, generally stand-up, PA forum players. The other group includes the aforementioned, along with the criteria of having about 50% of the DLC.

The Gamertag for the PA Rock Band Group is PA Rock Band.

The Gamertag for the Rock Band DLC Group is RockBand allDLC

Once you're a friend, go to the Gamertag's profile, go to Personal Profile, and View Friends. You now know who is online and currently owns Rock Band, and will be able to send invites. People that are friends with RockBand allDLC now have a portal to Rock Banders that will probably share a good amount of DLC with them. Enjoy the greatest music game ever made, with your friends from Penny Arcade!

Number of DLC Songs Available As of April 1, 2008:
81 Songs

Note: There's 58 songs in the retail game (45 main setlist and 13 bonus), so if you subtract 58 from your total songs as listed in Solo World Tour, you'll have the amount of DLC you've purchased.


III. Rock Band: A Rundown

(Excerpts From Wikipedia)

Rock Band is an upcoming music video game under development by Harmonix Music Systems, published by MTV Games, and to be distributed by Electronic Arts Partners. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are scheduled for a North American release on November 20, 2007 at a price point of $169.99, while the PlayStation 2 version will be released in North America on December 10, 2007 at a price point of $159.99. The game will be released in Europe in early 2008. In early 2008, a Wii version of the game was announced, but no release date was given.

Rock Band will allow players to perform in virtual "bands" by providing up to four players with the ability to play three different instrument-based peripherals (a guitar peripheral for guitar and bass guitar sequences, a drum peripheral, and a microphone). These instruments will be used to simulate the playing of rock music by hitting scrolling notes on-screen. Players can interact through both online and offline multiplayer capabilities. The game is Harmonix's first project since development duties of the Guitar Hero series were transferred over to Neversoft.

(My Personal Take)

What I Thought Then: The culmination of what Guitar Hero I and II had hinted at. How psyched am I for this? Super-psyched. There's a very good chance (we're talking 75% here) that this could be become my favorite series of all time.

What I Think Now: Rock Band is unreal. The amount of joy this game inspires in me transcends anything else the medium has to offer. Not since the original release of the Wii have I seen so many non-gamers I know pick up and play...and this one keeps them coming back far more often. Harmonix gets a tip of my hat as the best developer out there right now, with a constant stream of DLC every week. Little touches like the Rock Band store just let you know they care.

rockband-01.jpg

IV. The Instruments

214px-Rockband-guitar.jpg

asset-43070.jpg

This sexy replica of the Fender Stratocaster is (from a style perspective) a vast improvement over the GHII model, looking much more like an actual instrument rather than a toy. Each fret button is still color-coded, however it's much more incognito this time, as the colors are only visible on a side-view, perfectly placed for the player. Other features include a five-way switch for different sound effects, and an extra set of the five existing fret buttons for all your soloing needs. The Fender that comes with the 360 bundle is wired, while the PS3 version is wireless. Wireless guitars for both systems are now available to buy separately.

Xbox 360 users may use the Guitar Hero III Wireless controller or their Guitar Hero II X-plorer as well. PS3 users are currently confined to the Fender Stratocaster.

525px-Rockband-drumset.jpg

Four pads (snare drum, tom-tom, hi-hat, and cymbals), one kick pedal. Real drum sticks. I imagine you know what those look like, and they're easily replaceable if lost. According to reports, it's easy to assemble in less than five minutes, and you can even set it up on a flat tabletop if you don't like the stand. Easily the newest part of the game I'm looking forward to the most. Drum kits are now available to buy separately.

802674b.jpg

It's a microphone. One tends to sing into these devices. It picks up individual vowels and consonants, and if your bastard friend happens to be playing the solo on "Highway Star" or you really want to imitate Will Ferrell, it can be used as a tambourine or cowbell by simply tapping on it. Don't want to tap? Hand full of axe? Just make random noises, like "pow pow pow." All the real rockers do this when people aren't looking. Microphones are now available to buy separately. Or you could use a random USB mic you have lying around somewhere; most are compatible.


V. The Music

Lime is a master track.
Orange is a cover

The Main Setlist

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" - Jet
"Ballroom Blitz" - Sweet
"Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden
"Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones
"Celebrity Skin" - Hole
"Cherub Rock" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Creep" - Radiohead
"Dani California" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Dead On Arrival" - Fall Out Boy
"Detroit Rock City" - KISS
"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Oyster Cult
"Electric Version" - The New Pornographers
"Enter Sandman" - Metallica
"Epic" - Faith No More
"Flirtin' With Disaster" - Molly Hatchet
"Foreplay/Long Time" - Boston
"Gimme Shelter" - The Rolling Stones
"Go with the Flow" - Queens of the Stone Age

"Green Grass and High Tides" - The Outlaws
"The Hand That Feeds" - Nine Inch Nails
"Here It Goes Again" - OK Go
"Highway Star" - Deep Purple
"I Think I'm Paranoid" - Garbage
"In Bloom" - Nirvana
"Learn to Fly" - Foo Fighters
"Main Offender" - The Hives
"Maps" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

"Mississippi Queen" - Mountain
"Next to You" - The Police
"Orange Crush" - REM

"Paranoid" - Black Sabbath
"Reptilia" - The Strokes
"Run to the Hills" - Iron Maiden
"Sabotage" - Beastie Boys
"Say It Ain't So" - Weezer
"Should I Stay or Should I Go" - The Clash
"Suffragette City" - David Bowie

"Tom Sawyer" - Rush
"Train Kept A-Rollin'" - Aerosmith

"Vasoline" - Stone Temple Pilots
"Wanted Dead or Alive" - Bon Jovi
"Wave of Mutilation" - The Pixies
"Welcome Home" - Coheed and Cambria
"When You Were Young" - The Killers
"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who


Bonus Tracks

"29 Fingers" - The Konks
"Blood Doll" - Anarchy Club
"Brainpower" - Freezepop
"Can't Let Go" - Death of the Cool
"Day Late, Dollar Short" - The Acro-Brats
"I Get By" - Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives
"I'm So Sick" - Flyleaf
"Nightmare" - Crooked X
"Outside" - Tribe
"Pleasure (Pleasure)" - Bang Camaro
"Seven" - Vagiant
"Time We Had" - The Mother Hips
"Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld" - Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld


Downloadable Content

Full Albums

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
1. The Hellion
2. Electric Eye
3. Riding on the Wind
4. Bloodstone
5. (Take These) Chains
6. Pain and Pleasure
7. Screaming for Vengeance
8. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
9. Fever
10. Devil's Child

The Cars - The Cars - Available May 2008
1. Good Times Roll
2. My Best Friend's Girl
3. Just What I Needed
4. I'm in Touch With Your World
5. Don't Cha Stop
6. You're All I've Got Tonight
7. Bye Bye Love
8. Moving in Stereo
9. All Mixed Up

The Pixies - Doolittle - Available June 2008
1. Debaser
2. Tame
3. Wave of Mutilation (Already in-game)
4. I Bleed
5. Here Comes Your Man
6. Dead
7. Monkey Gone to Heaven
8. Mr. Grieves
9. Crackity Jones
10. La La Love you
11. No. 13 Baby
12. There Goes My Gun
13. Hey
14. Silver
15. Gouge Away



All videos on expert unless otherwise noted. I'm trying to find videos of guitar/bass/drums, but can't find many for the bass.


Official XBox Magazine Feb'08 Bonus Songs:
Available to the general public on 4/8/08.
Special thanks to Houn, Lord Yod, pablo_price and Mr Bubbles for the videos, they are much less lazy than I.


VI. Gold Star Cut-Offs
A Gold Star is like a 6-Star. You do NOT need to hit 100% of the notes, it's just another high score level after 5-Star. Scrolling down your setlist and seeing a bunch of Gold Stars is a pretty amazing feeling, so get crackin'.

Guitar Gold-Star Cutoffs
Bass Gold-Star Cutoffs
Drum Gold-Star Cutoffs
Vocal Gold-Star Cutoffs


VII. Related Links

The Rock Band Warranty Site

Those lovable scamps at OXM review the DLC and let you know if it's worth a purchase.

Possible fixes for your guitar. This will void warranty, so be warned.


VIII. The Credits
(Ooh come on, I wanna take you higher, ooh come on, let's make electric fire!)

A very special to thanks to those who have contributed to the thread, including Houn, Lord Yod, pablo_price, Mr Bubbles, Lunker, Arikado and the countless other regulars in who keep us going through these threads like candy even four months after release.

UnbreakableVow on
«13456763

Posts

  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to proclaim my frustration for work. Had to stay late tonight and thus had no time to play any of the new tracks.

    First thing tomorrow after class, though.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have not played any of the new things either. I meant to buy them, then again I meant to do a lot of things today.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone been keeping track of how many of these threads Arikado's constant posting has put us through?

    coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    coutts wrote: »
    Anyone been keeping track of how many of these threads Arikado's constant posting has put us through?

    This is like...number 9, maybe. Something like that. Possibly 10.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The new tracks are great this week.

    I played all 4 on guitar tonight and I'm going to have to say that I'm liking the new Motley Crue song the best. The Classic Rock Pack is also worth every point.

    KimFidler on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    coutts wrote: »
    Anyone been keeping track of how many of these threads Arikado's constant posting has put us through?

    This is like...number 9, maybe. Something like that. Possibly 10.

    Job well done by all.
    Unbreakable I see you've been listening to the Sweeney Todd movie soundtrack.
    Also I'll have my xbox back this weekend and will play the new songs then.

    coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    coutts wrote: »
    Unbreakable I see you've been listening to the Sweeney Todd movie soundtrack.

    Yes. Yes, I have. Not to get off-topic but I really hate Tim Burton so I was surprised that I actually loved Sweeney Todd. Went out and immediately bought the soundtrack. Amazing stuff.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    coutts wrote: »
    Anyone been keeping track of how many of these threads Arikado's constant posting has put us through?

    Going by the last thread's numbers, it appears Arikado composed 10% of all RB posts, or 3 days of the thread's lifespan.

    You know, if it wasn't for him we'd almost never get to hear anything about vocals.


    Also, Call Me by Blondie is a damn good song to play along with. Need more 80s rock and new wave.

    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arikado is the go-to guy on vocals. I also look in Captain K's and DarkPrimus's direction for drums. Guitar I judge myself.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Simple Man is definitely the weakest on guitar from this week's DLC. Saints of Los Angeles is definitely my favorite.

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    K is also good to go to for advice on how to make ears bleed but still somehow stay perfectly on pitch while singing.

    coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh hey, now that this thing is actually in my room I should like, play guitar and bass online and stuff. Although...I'll have to see how to hook up my ethernet cable to the 360, not sure it'll reach to where I have it now.

    I only have a few DLC songs though, so I won't be able to join the cool kids in the super special awesome clan . :( Please release more DLC songs I like, k?

    Schide on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    Oh hey, now that this thing is actually in my room I should like, play guitar and bass online and stuff. Although...I'll have to see how to hook up my ethernet cable to the 360, not sure it'll reach to where I have it now.

    I only have a few DLC songs though, so I won't be able to join the cool kids in the super special awesome clan . :( Please release more DLC songs I like, k?

    You just need to raise (lower?) your standards for music, my man.

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.
    The truth hurts so bad, wouldn't you say?
    So why tell it?
    If ignorance is bliss, then I'm in
    Heaven now
    Schide wrote: »
    Oh hey, now that this thing is actually in my room I should like, play guitar and bass online and stuff. Although...I'll have to see how to hook up my ethernet cable to the 360, not sure it'll reach to where I have it now.

    I only have a few DLC songs though, so I won't be able to join the cool kids in the super special awesome clan . Please release more DLC songs I like, k?

    So rarely are the songs that you like hearing are the songs that are fun to play. For example, I heartily enjoy trouncing through that damnable Fallout Boy song. Free your mind.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to proclaim my frustration for work. Had to stay late tonight and thus had no time to play any of the new tracks.

    First thing tomorrow after class, though.

    I got home early enough to play, but decided against it because I was pretty exhausted. I'll probably play tomorrow, if nothing else to grab and try some of the new stuff.

    polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »
    Oh hey, now that this thing is actually in my room I should like, play guitar and bass online and stuff. Although...I'll have to see how to hook up my ethernet cable to the 360, not sure it'll reach to where I have it now.

    I only have a few DLC songs though, so I won't be able to join the cool kids in the super special awesome clan . :( Please release more DLC songs I like, k?

    You just need to raise (lower?) your standards for music, my man.

    Lower, definitely. It's really not that I won't play the songs I don't like as much which are available as DLC, it's more that I really don't have enough money to buy songs that I don't particularly like.
    Evilbadman wrote:
    So rarely are the songs that you like hearing are the songs that are fun to play. For example, I heartily enjoy trouncing through that damnable Fallout Boy song. Free your mind.

    Actually, going by my experiences with GH1, GH2, and Rock Band, the songs that I like are really the only ones I go back and play a lot, barring the occasional really fun song to play, like...well I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least one.

    I blame my musical...elitism, I suppose, on my upbringing. My dad's the same way. If we don't like it, we really, really don't like it and hearing it really gets on our nerves. Fortunately there aren't that many songs like that across the GH-Rock Band series.

    Schide on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    That and Little Sister are seriously my favorite songs in this game, but no one ever fucking has them when I play online.

    The Sneak! on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    This town ain't big enough for both of us, Hoss.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    This town ain't big enough for both of us, Hoss.

    do you not like the song

    because what i am saying is that i like the song

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Simple Man is definitely the weakest on guitar from this week's DLC. Saints of Los Angeles is definitely my favorite.

    I would say the other way around, but then again I can't alt strum so Saints of Los Angeles is a bitch for me to play...

    eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I probably would have never bought their CD, but I quite enjoy playing Move Along.

    Also, I like Simple Man because it's hard but not frustrating hard. No stupid triple strums that I always fuck up. It's also good practice for your technique.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See the thing is Simple Man isn't hard. It reminds of "Sweet Child of Mine" only even easier.

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    See the thing is Simple Man isn't hard. It reminds of "Sweet Child of Mind" only even easier.

    And Sweet Child O' Mine was my favorite song in Guitar Hero 2 because it wasn't blisteringly difficult. Just because it isn't hard, doesn't mean its bad.

    eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    That and Little Sister are seriously my favorite songs in this game, but no one ever fucking has them when I play online.

    I fucking have them

    Monoxide on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Well i'm pretty sure you're a guitar hero god but I can't alt strum for shit. I had to beat the entire last tier (minus GG&HT, that bastard song) with downstrums.

    I find Simple Man hard, but mostly because it's hard to keep doing that fret jumping continously for 3 minutes. But it's also fun, like the opening of Sweet Child O' Mine.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    See the thing is Simple Man isn't hard. It reminds of "Sweet Child of Mind" only even easier.

    And Sweet Child O' Mine was my favorite song in Guitar Hero 2 because it wasn't blisteringly difficult. Just because it isn't hard, doesn't mean its bad.

    I never said it was bad. I just don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. And just for the record, that was one of my favorite songs as well.

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Well i'm pretty sure you're a guitar hero god but I can't alt strum for shit. I had to beat the entire last tier (minus GG&HT, that bastard song) with downstrums.

    I find Simple Man hard, but mostly because it's hard to keep doing that fret jumping continously for 3 minutes. But it's also fun, like the opening of Sweet Child O' Mine.

    I know I'm not a great barometer when it comes to judging difficulty, but I guess this has to do with more me not liking the song all that much rather than difficulty. At least Sweet Child mixes up here and there.

    Also, I'm surprised you made it through RttH. D:

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This also reminds me that I actually need to finish hard mode on solo in guitar so I can start expert then beat that to actually like, play all of the songs before I start playing online. I think I can complete almost everything in expert. The only problem is that for some reason the guitar wants to spontaneously activate star power (whatever it's called) and not actually want to activate when i hold the guitar up, I have to press the button to manually activate. Which means I can't get past any parts where I need to activate it to pass it.

    Unless they changed something from Guitar Hero that I don't about with that.

    Schide on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm suprised too, as that was the only time I ever beat it..

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    This also reminds me that I actually need to finish hard mode on solo in guitar so I can start expert then beat that to actually like, play all of the songs before I start playing online. I think I can complete almost everything in expert. The only problem is that for some reason the guitar wants to spontaneously activate star power (whatever it's called) and not actually want to activate when i hold the guitar up, I have to press the button to manually activate. Which means I can't get past any parts where I need to activate it to pass it.

    Unless they changed something from Guitar Hero that I don't about with that.

    The strat does seem to activate it randomly. Honestly, I wish they had an option to disable tilt-activation, because it's actually possible to easily activate it with the big strat Back button instead of the horrible X-plorer buttons.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have major troubles trying to activate it with the back button and not totally lose my rhythm. I guess maybe I just need to practice doing it like that, but it still doesn't help the random activation. Maybe it has something to do with the tilt of the guitar when you turn on the system? I have no idea. I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see if I can't figure something out.

    Schide on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    The strat's tilt sensor kind of sucks. I don't know why they changed back to the old style, but it's a switch with an "on" or "off" position rather than the Xplorer and the Les Paul's analog motion sensor. It's extremely annoying, because two out of the three that I've had switched to "on" when I lift the neck roughly a centimeter above horizontal. If EA ever sends me a strat works for more than a few days, I might see if there's anything I can do to fix that.

    edit: the xplorer and LP calibrate when you turn on the system, the strat doesn't. You can plug it into your PC and mess with it to test it out. There's also a very faint audible click you can hear when the rolling switch flips over when you tilt it up.

    Monoxide on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    That and Little Sister are seriously my favorite songs in this game, but no one ever fucking has them when I play online.

    I fucking have them

    I have them and 3's & 7's is one of my favorite "Rock the fuck out on drums" songs.

    For some reason I am just terrible at "Little Sister", though.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I am obsessed with 3's & 7's and I have no idea why.

    because it is catchy as fuck

    This town ain't big enough for both of us, Hoss.

    do you not like the song

    because what i am saying is that i like the song

    Look at our names. :winky:

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Well i'm pretty sure you're a guitar hero god but I can't alt strum for shit. I had to beat the entire last tier (minus GG&HT, that bastard song) with downstrums.

    I find Simple Man hard, but mostly because it's hard to keep doing that fret jumping continously for 3 minutes. But it's also fun, like the opening of Sweet Child O' Mine.

    I know I'm not a great barometer when it comes to judging difficulty, but I guess this has to do with more me not liking the song all that much rather than difficulty. At least Sweet Child mixes up here and there.

    Also, I'm surprised you made it through RttH. D:

    I honestly had no problem downstrumming Run to the Hills. Both it and Train Kept a Rollin I managed to finish on my first try. Highway Star and Flirtin' With Disaster took a few tries, and Green Grass and High Tides continues to rape me.

    However rhythmic strumming with constant fret changes like Sweet Child O' Mine or Simple Man is not a problem for me, and is quite enjoyable.

    eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Well i'm pretty sure you're a guitar hero god but I can't alt strum for shit. I had to beat the entire last tier (minus GG&HT, that bastard song) with downstrums.

    I find Simple Man hard, but mostly because it's hard to keep doing that fret jumping continously for 3 minutes. But it's also fun, like the opening of Sweet Child O' Mine.

    I know I'm not a great barometer when it comes to judging difficulty, but I guess this has to do with more me not liking the song all that much rather than difficulty. At least Sweet Child mixes up here and there.

    Also, I'm surprised you made it through RttH. D:

    I honestly had no problem downstrumming Run to the Hills. Both it and Train Kept a Rollin I managed to finish on my first try. Highway Star and Flirtin' With Disaster took a few tries, and Green Grass and High Tides continues to rape me.

    However rhythmic strumming with constant fret changes like Sweet Child O' Mine or Simple Man is not a problem for me, and is quite enjoyable.

    Unless a particular note is going to continue for a while, I usually downstrum as well. However, ever since Misirlou I've been getting out of the habit of only downstrumming because keeping a streak going is a lot harder (not to mention tiring) and faster paces, especially when notes are next to each other (looking at you "Thrasher"), are down right impossible to do by only downstrumming.

    Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Simple Man is great. It's nice and easy for everyone, save maybe vocals, but the vocals are fun to sing too, at least for me. The chorus feels great.

    I however cannot sing Call Me at all, good lord.

    Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I find alt-strumming a pain on anything but fast triplets, and even then I mess up most of the time :(.

    Also, I'm suspecting my strat is dropping notes on occassion. On long, moderately paced sections of the same note I seem to miss a random note and finally I don't think it's my timing. Will need to experiment with the same songs on my Xplorer. I know my drum's red pad is dropping notes :(.

    Tomanta on
Sign In or Register to comment.