Options

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys. I got wakkawa to come out of hiding! Go me!

Lly on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Hey guys. I got wakkawa to come out of hiding! Go me!

No you didn't! He was totally mad at me for putting down a show he likes and came out to protest!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nuh-uh!

edit: I think the heat has somewhat gone to my head ....

Lly on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    multimoog wrote: »
    I think I'd rather have tea, cocoa and nuts than some paintings, depending on the quality of the paintings. Which is not to say your grampie's paintings are bad, but if the nuts are cashews and the cocoa is high quality, well, it's not really a contest.

Oh by all means, just the nuts themselves were worth as much as the paintings! (They were cashews and gramps paints kinda bad). It's just that I find it odd to send something over the ocean when it's readily available there.

The cocoa is some KeyFood, dunno the franchise but it tastes rather bad. And the tea is Lipton in tea-bags which is as bad as tea gets :)

So I scored one for the cashews! But nothing excuses the gifting of Lipton Tea, or the store brand cocoa, ugh. Did it come in individual pouches? I'm siding with the angries on this one - store-brand anything (unless it's something like a, I dunno, snowmobile) does NOT equal handmade art.

multimoog on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So the Orphan Works bill is being marked up today and tomorrow, and is being rushed through to a vote. If you haven't taken the time to write your representatives then follow this link and take literally 30 seconds to attach your name and information to any number of conveniently pre-written letters. http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

If you don't know about this Bill, here is basically why it is a Bad Thing™
    The Orphan Works Act will affect all images from professional paintings to family snapshots. This includes any image, whether published or unpublished - or any that resides or ever resided on the internet. It will force me to register every image I make with privately-held commercial registries. All unregistered works will be exposed as potential orphans for commercial infringement.

I don't care if you're sick of reading about this, if you haven't actually done something yet then won't you have fucking egg on your face if it actually passes.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm really interested how that orphan works thing would even work if a company tried to get some money out of it. I mean in many cases it's hard to determine wether the artist behind the piece is a US citizen right? Basically the artist could for example claim that the piece was partially done by his friend MayDay from Poland denying the company the right to use the piece?

Anyways, you can always move here if the copyright legislation feel uncomfortable. Or Russia/cuba/thailand/etc where copyright legislation.. is .. well.. I'm sure it exists :D

And agreeing with wak's post on previous page. Last Exile = good stuff.

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh, hey, guess what? Boom Blox really does deserve the A+ EGM gave it. If I didn't have somewhere to be in an hour I could see playing it all night. Had more fun & giggles with it in the first hour than with all of Mario Kart so far, and BB has a really robust level editor as well. If you have a Wii it's a must-buy.

PS3 who? Get back to me when LittleBigPlanet comes out.
    Or GTA becomes a Greatest Hits title. Which should be, what, now? Or any of the good downloadable stuff hits. I still love my monolith, it just hasn't been getting any games.

multimoog on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My strict understanding of the legalese involved is pretty thin, but reading some truncated summaries seems to suggest It doesn't matter where you live.

From the Illustrator's Partnership:
    Fifth, any foreign artist whose work would otherwise be protected by Berne would find his work a potential orphan in the US. These artists, many of whom don’t speak English, would be forced to monitor US registries to see that infringers haven’t laundered their work into the public domain, protected by a law unique to the US.

Moog: Uh, MGS4 comes out next month :0

Scosglen on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    Once again the US thinks they run the world. Sometimes I think I'd be happier with the internet of the 90s with animated .gifs and horizontal dividers.

Edit: I'm surprised that hasn't been on digg yet or anything. Seems like something that would/should get a lot of exposure there.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Moog: Uh, MGS4 comes out next month :0

Meh. I didn't see any cartoon ducks or sarcastic dinosaurs. I'm good; I knows what I likes. But I kid MGS, as I've never played the series. It always seemed too complicated for too little payoff, like Resident Evil. This latest one looks sufficiently goofy, though, with the mechanimal ladies and cowbots. There's been a couple games so far that would further justify my having bought the system, but there's been as many Wii games that've been that much radder. All the PS3 stuff I've been skipping is going to be around for a while, but Super Paper Mario is already out of print!

Re: this Orphan Works bullshit - I wouldn't be concerned. It sounds scary, but it won't go through. Even if it did, I doubt it would ever really cause anybody actual legal trouble. I'm cynical/pessimistic, but not THAT much so. For years, we've all been basically agreeing to the same thing in the fine print when we use a free imagehosting site - that they can use the work in any way they see fit with no compensation to the originator of the image. But places rarely ever do, because of the bad press shitstorm it would cause.

Edit: I should say places ever rarely use images egregiously, look at the front page of Photobucket: I would bet they don't get permission individually to use all those thumbnail images to promote their site, but you also don't see someone's image being used without permission as the 'mascot' of Photobucket in TV ads.

multimoog on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I passed my citizenship test! I finished it in 3 of the alloted 45 minutes.

Given that the questions were so difficult that that an astute 9 year old could have answered them, I think I deserve a very lengthy champagne congratulations.

Congratulations, you're officially one of us.
    Now you can take part in the bi-annual wombat throwing competition.

EDIT: BTW I told you it'd be a piece of piss, did you get a ham?

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    I passed my citizenship test! I finished it in 3 of the alloted 45 minutes.

Given that the questions were so difficult that that an astute 9 year old could have answered them, I think I deserve a very lengthy champagne congratulations.

Congratulations, you're officially one of us.
    Now you can take part in the bi-annual wombat throwing competition.

EDIT: BTW I told you it'd be a piece of piss, did you get a ham?

No ham. Afterwards I went to a really bad korean bbq place though; suitably australian, don't you think? And I'm not 'officially' Australian yet, I have to go to a ceremony and pledge my life to the intergalactic lazy surfer patrol or something. I'm going to pretend I'm in Starship Troopers.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So the Orphan Works bill is being marked up today and tomorrow, and is being rushed through to a vote. If you haven't taken the time to write your representatives then follow this link and take literally 30 seconds to attach your name and information to any number of conveniently pre-written letters. http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

If you don't know about this Bill, here is basically why it is a Bad Thingâ„¢
    The Orphan Works Act will affect all images from professional paintings to family snapshots. This includes any image, whether published or unpublished - or any that resides or ever resided on the internet. It will force me to register every image I make with privately-held commercial registries. All unregistered works will be exposed as potential orphans for commercial infringement.

I don't care if you're sick of reading about this, if you haven't actually done something yet then won't you have fucking egg on your face if it actually passes.

Holy motherfucking shit licking asswipe douchebagging thundering cockmonkeys! Fuck you gubmint! FUCK YOU! Signed and sent.

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »

If you don't know about this Bill, here is basically why it is a Bad Thingâ„¢

Holy motherfucking shit licking asswipe douchebagging thundering cockmonkeys! Fuck you gubmint! FUCK YOU! Signed and sent.

I hate this bill, but unfortunately (being australian) I don't have a representative to protect me from the US government fucking things up.......which really sucks, because this bill will affect people globally not just those within US borders.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If it passes, I really hope there's a clusterfuck of international outrage so they have to redact it.

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    If it passes, I really hope there's a clusterfuck of international outrage so they have to redact it.

AHAHAHAHHHAHHAHA

Yes, the US government is so good at that sort of thing, isn't it?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

AHAHAHAHHHAHHAHA

Yes, the US government is so good at that sort of thing, isn't it?

Shuddup. Give me my false hopes and leave me to grieve.

Tam on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mars volta made a video game

go there to play.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys

so it turns out that drinking really IS good sometimes to get rid of stress and such

I mean, I never drink, so I figure this once in a blue moon when I need to relax, it's okay

how fabulous.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Welcome to the club NightDragon.

The Alcoholism Club.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yay. Drinks all around! Drinking is awesome if you have the will power to moderate yourself. It's too easy for people with addictive personalities to get addicted though. For me it's more of a habit to have a few beers every evening than to not have anything. I need to break that.

Although tonight i'll be drinking vodka mojitos in a swanky spanish bar with a lovely courtyard. Looking forward to that :D

Lly on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yay. Drinks all around! Drinking is awesome if you have the will power to moderate yourself. It's too easy for people with addictive personalities to get addicted though. For me it's more of a habit to have a few beers every evening than to not have anything. I need to break that.

Although tonight i'll be drinking vodka mojitos in a swanky spanish bar with a lovely courtyard. Looking forward to that :D

Sorry Lly, but I find drinking even in moderation morraly objective and dentrimental to your health and lifestyle - plus it makes you beat women and small kittens.

GOTCHA!! HAR HAR HAR!!!!!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    FU BITCH! I'ma get my kitten club and track you down!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I only drink on weekends. Usually once a fortnight. And usually to liver-scarring effect.

I call it the NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-YES! program.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys guys guys, I just got back from Speed Racer and it is 31 flavors of Awesome!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have cut back on my drinking since my kidneys are fucked up.
    i do miss my weekend shenanigans, but otherwise, i still do the same old shit.
    ...like sing rick astley at kareoke

(i have a video of it!!!!)

beavotron on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last nigt someone asked me if I was in highschool, despite my beard being at 100% capacity.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I went to middle school with dudes that sported beards at 100% capacity. And that dude went on to be Robin Williams.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Sorry Lly, but I find drinking even in moderation morraly objective and dentrimental to your health and lifestyle - plus it makes you beat women and small kittens.

Man, I'm sorry, but the Grammar Nazi is in quite the mood right now: "morally objectionable", "detrimental".

Tam on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I usually only drink a couple times a week, and I don't think I've gotten "fucked up" in quite a while now. I'm more of just a social drinker, and then a few nights a week (if I've had a long week like ND talks about) I'll have a white russian and play some TF2 before bed.

Beavo: Rick Astley Karaoke.... awesome :lol: I really wish I got to do Karaoke when I was in Korea, would have been a blast!

Edit: yay I'm no longer at the Botp!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Man, I'm sorry, but the Grammar Nazi is in quite the mood right now: "morally objectionable", "detrimental".

Well the emphasis nazi is also in quite the mood right now. Who stresses the "in" I ask you?!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Well the emphasis nazi is also in quite the mood right now. Who stresses the "in" I ask you?!

Your point is subjective and therefore totally inferior to my point. Check and mate.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Your point is subjective and therefore totally inferior to my point. Check and mate.

Whilst anyone can point out raw fact and feel clever, I have pointed out that you are a fool in your use of tone and am confident that the rest of the world will agree with me. Being subjectively correct is a far more impressive feat than being objectively correct. I also believe you will find it is Check and Mate.

:P

Lly on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Zounds! Semantics, thou dost betrayeth me again!

This matter is not done, rabbit! I will be vindicated!
    ! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    :D

Hooray it's friday evening at last! Time to get on with the drinking and cavorting! London has had fantastic weather this week, it's so bloody sunny. Should be a good weekend.

Lly on
  • Options
    Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find that this whole debate is morrally objective.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hay waitaminnit, why does the "M" have to be capitalized?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Damn! My bluff has been called!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I love how everyone was completely stunned and frightened by my bulletproof logic on the last page. Completely and utterly.

multimoog on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Whilst anyone can point out raw fact and feel clever, I have pointed out that you are a fool in your use of tone and am confident that the rest of the world will agree with me. Being subjectively correct is a far more impressive feat than being objectively correct. I also believe you will find it is Check and Mate.

:P

I find your arguments to be both pointless and irrelevant.

We all know the most efficient way to emphasize something is by making it gigantic.

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.