As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My mom just called me up and asked me for my opinion on letting my younger brother (almost 17) play World of Warcraft. She said she didn't want him playing a game that "glorified the craft of War".

I calmed her fears about the actual gameplay itself, but ended up recommending she not let him play it, for its sheer addictive qualities. (My brother has trouble doing his schoolwork when simple video games are around, as it is...I figure WoW would completely destroy him).

That's actual the main reason I don't play WoW myself. It would completely own me, hah.

NightDragon on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't play WoW cos it's boring.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have only obsesively playd Mass Effect. It is soul consumming.

MagicToaster on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to play Guild Wars. He says it's not addictive, but this is coming from a guy who has logged over 1000 hours on it. I liked it when I tried it, but I'm taking his advice on its addictiveness with a grain of salt.

In short, should I play Guild Wars?

Tam on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I like the idea of World of Warcraft more than the actual gameplay. I liked just exploring the world, seeing the different monsters, etc. Unfortunately I have enough discipline to just switch off when I get busy with real life stuff so when I found I wasn't playing for several weeks at a time I just stopped renewing my subscription.

Radhoof is stuck in the Tauren spirit world somewhere...

DMAC on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Wtf is the hangar for?

He's being humorously chauvinist- making it seem as if Rosie the Riveter has to get women pumped up to just perform a simple domestic task.

Thats what I figured, but its kind of a tame image to use. Use a iron or a toilet brush.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wtf is the hangar for?

He's being humorously chauvinist- making it seem as if Rosie the Riveter has to get women pumped up to just perform a simple domestic task.

Actually someone in SE made a Rosie the Riveter + back alley abortion joke, and that was the natural result.

Sami on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have only obsesively playd Mass Effect. It is soul consumming.

I finished it three times. In close succession. And I was never bored. I never do that.

desperaterobots on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speed Racer was really good. I went in with extremely low expectations on account of the W-bros, and came out forgiving them for their rape of the Matrix.

The one big Wachowski fight scene made me giggle the whole time, and John Goodman is my hero.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    John Goodman is my hero.

That goes without saying. But can you (non-sexually)rape something you created?

Ahh, hell with it. I need mashed potatoes. And gravy.

multimoog on
    edited May 2008
    multimoog wrote: »
    John Goodman is my hero.

That goes without saying. But can you (non-sexually)rape something you created?

Ahh, hell with it. I need mashed potatoes. And gravy.

I think by rape he means they 'utterly destroyed' everything that was awesome about the matrix with the crummy sequels. And also that they raped them with their rape eyes.

desperaterobots on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, this girl I used to go to uni with is now a model who has done some work for l'oreal and a few others. She hired this photographer to shoot some work for her portfolio. The guy had claimed to have worked for Playboy and other notables. She sent me some of the images, from the exif data I can tell he had a D2X with a stock lens, shot at 100 ISO with flash (in a well lit area) and shot to JPEG...

Really.

I'm not kidding.

He used the lighting in the room, he didn't set up any extra lighting. He basically flicked her bedroom light switch and turned his flash on.

The photos look like the ones you see on sleazy adult matchmaking websites.

Apparently he is still operating as a "photographer" when he is quite obviously a fraud. Does anyone know any avenues by which I can name and shame him to ensure that others don't get sucked into paying gratuitous amounts of money for his shitty work?

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited May 2008
    Did she look at his portfolio before she hired him?

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    Did she look at his portfolio before she hired him?

Apparently he had a decent portfolio, but I'm willing to bet he just ripped off a bunch of decent photographers and threw them all together to fool young models.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited May 2008
    She should speak to some contacts in her industry to find out what to do; legal action might be an idea if she paid the guy a whole bunch of money after he misrepresented his talents/abilities. But otherwise, I don't think you're going to stop a guy whose willing to lie to photograph pretty girls while getting paid for it.

desperaterobots on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it was a TFCD type of setup there really isn't anything you can do. The only real option available is just word of mouth that he's not someone to hire if she knows other people that might get taken in by him. If she did pay him there might be a slightly stronger chance of her being able to do something but not a whole lot. This is usually a good reason to setup a meeting beforehand to go over the shots that will be done, for the model its a good way to see if the photographer is for real and for the photographer its a good way to go over ideas and get a sense for the type of shoot, lighting, location, etc. Unfortunately the industry has a lot of GWCs and its not always easy to weed them out but next time she should be the better for it and perhaps find herself a better photographer to work with.

Veritas on
    edited May 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    If it was a TFCD type of setup there really isn't anything you can do. The only real option available is just word of mouth that he's not someone to hire if she knows other people that might get taken in by him. If she did pay him there might be a slightly stronger chance of her being able to do something but not a whole lot. This is usually a good reason to setup a meeting beforehand to go over the shots that will be done, for the model its a good way to see if the photographer is for real and for the photographer its a good way to go over ideas and get a sense for the type of shoot, lighting, location, etc. Unfortunately the industry has a lot of GWCs and its not always easy to weed them out but next time she should be the better for it and perhaps find herself a better photographer to work with.

Yeah I'm the next photographer >.<

It's going to be a word of mouth ordeal I think. But then again I don't hang around with other models, I guess all I can do is give the word to any other photographers I know.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Gah! I crashed out last night after class around 8.pm and didn't wake up until 11 in the morning! Which is conveniently an hour before class, but I didn't get my scripting done yet...

Good thing Dan's pretty laid back and I can probably hand it in by friday. Stupid body needing stupid sleep that I stupidly have neglected to give it!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gah! I crashed out last night after class around 8.pm and didn't wake up until 11 in the morning! Which is conveniently an hour before class, but I didn't get my scripting done yet...

Good thing Dan's pretty laid back and I can probably hand it in by friday. Stupid body needing stupid sleep that I stupidly have neglected to give it!

Agh man I hear ya, that usually happens to me once a week. Usually so exhausted I fall asleep an hour after I'm home from work and don't get up till the next morn.

In other news I got three different books from a good friend in TX today. Haha first two were definitely unexpected but hilarious nonetheless. And I gotta finish The Power of One so I can read the third! Yay zombie books

Prospicience on
    edited May 2008
    Prospicience is balls deep in poop culture.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    I've already received numerous calls from CSI to identify poops taken at the sites of crimes.

Prospicience on
    edited May 2008
    I didn't know CSI involved themselves with scatological crimes.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    I didn't know CSI involved themselves with scatological crimes.

They don't, that is why they called me.

Prospicience on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aww, Rice Boy is finally over. One of the more interesting webcomics out there. Was a good end though. Anyone else read it?

UnknownSaint on
    edited May 2008
    Bleh, birthday started out fine and has since gone to shit. I guess it could always be worse...
    /end rant

Prospicience on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i love you interhusband, i hope your day was good!

Speaking of birthdays, for the entire 4 years we were together, my ex always wanted a crossbow and would ask for one for every holiday
    so, even though we are now broken up, he will be recieving this sucker in the mail sometime within the next few weeks:
    http://www.canadacrossbow.com/index.php?pr=MK150_Classic
    i'm amazed that these are legal and even crazier, you don't need any sort of license to own one!
    though they have a draw weight of 150 lbs.
    oh the weird things chris likes...

i'm the best ex girlfriend ever
    we're still mental about each other, he bought me a friggen amazing light table for christmas and i didn't get him anything so i owe him

beavotron on
    edited May 2008
    WHERES MY PONY YOU PROMISED!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    god dammit
    here:
    http://www.poniesrus.ca/horses1.htm#Baby
    Forbe is the proud owner to be of "Born to Fly"

beavotron on
    edited May 2008
    :{D

Ill wuv him for eva and eva.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    My name is Chris...

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited May 2008
    Why doesn't anyone from the AC use PA vent anymore. I remember when we had our own channel with a password n' everything!!!!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Anything I play (read TF2) has built in voice chat anyways.

bombardier on
    edited May 2008
    Yeh, but we didn't play games a lot of the times. Yuh know. Just kinda hung out.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    i love you interhusband, i hope your day was good!

Speaking of birthdays, for the entire 4 years we were together, my ex always wanted a crossbow and would ask for one for every holiday
    so, even though we are now broken up, he will be recieving this sucker in the mail sometime within the next few weeks:
    http://www.canadacrossbow.com/index.php?pr=MK150_Classic
    i'm amazed that these are legal and even crazier, you don't need any sort of license to own one!
    though they have a draw weight of 150 lbs.
    oh the weird things chris likes...

i'm the best ex girlfriend ever
    we're still mental about each other, he bought me a friggen amazing light table for christmas and i didn't get him anything so i owe him

Motherfucking shitbags! Do you mean to tell me that if I had a girlfriend, there's a chance that she would buy me a crossbow?

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Is someone is going to say "You've changed, man" eventually? Please say yes.

desperaterobots on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The cool thing to do is hang out with buds in study rooms to "study" at the library, but really, just play mad libs and shit like that. In RL might I add.

NeoRedXIII on
    edited May 2008
    This was posted in D&D recently. It is very funny.
    collegehumor77b338bda47576860a36d06.jpg

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    This was posted in D&D recently. It is very funny.
    collegehumor77b338bda47576860a36d06.jpg

Best

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well what do you know, I started a sketch and told myself it was just for fun, no worries about it looking good, and it turned out better than most of the stuff I do when I'm trying hard. Apparently I'm a better artist when I'm not worried about the results.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2008
    Well what do you know, I started a sketch and told myself it was just for fun, no worries about it looking good, and it turned out better than most of the stuff I do when I'm trying hard. Apparently I'm a better artist when I'm not worried about the results.

I get that all the time. If I buy an expensive sketchbook I become terrified of ruining it. I do all my best doodles on scrap paper at work. I've also done some of my best paintings on top of old paintings i didnt like, but that leads to all kind of issues that wind up annoying me forever. Good practice though.

desperaterobots on
This discussion has been closed.