As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]urday! In the park! Musta been the fourth of July!

• Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yep, all my best doodles come out on school papers and notebooks. Funny how that works out

Asamof the Horrible on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    i love you interhusband, i hope your day was good!

Speaking of birthdays, for the entire 4 years we were together, my ex always wanted a crossbow and would ask for one for every holiday
    so, even though we are now broken up, he will be recieving this sucker in the mail sometime within the next few weeks:
    http://www.canadacrossbow.com/index.php?pr=MK150_Classic
    i'm amazed that these are legal and even crazier, you don't need any sort of license to own one!
    though they have a draw weight of 150 lbs.
    oh the weird things chris likes...

i'm the best ex girlfriend ever
    we're still mental about each other, he bought me a friggen amazing light table for christmas and i didn't get him anything so i owe him

<3 Interwifey

Tam: I laughed for a good 5 minutes at that, good stuff right there.

Prospicience on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My consumer whoreism has no boundaries....
    I had to have this!

Mustang on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want a mac. But I don't want to part with my hard earned savings.

Dilemma.

desperaterobots on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There are student discounts, dr.

Or hey, just make your own pc. Do it right, and you could end up with a better machine for less money.

Tam on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    The student discounts are a joke. It's like $50 bucks off a $2000 computer.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    There are student discounts, dr.

Or hey, just make your own pc. Do it right, and you could end up with a better machine for less money.

For reals. And it's nowhere near as hard to do as people imagine. Also macs suck, they hardly run any games that i want to play. You are really just paying way too much money because it looks sexy.

Lly on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    It would appear I have gotten a taste for the theatric...
    mrjoker.jpg

• desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm in it more for the laptop factor. Macbooks are sexalicious. Why do PC laptops always look like bad 90s winamp skins? You get a $150 education discount here.

desperaterobots on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

My friend works there, meaning I get 25% off any fucking thing I want.

Sami on
    edited May 2008
    Well your friend needs to be *my* friend.

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Most mac student discounts amount to getting an ipod nano at a discount.

Its a great piece of machinery if you can afford it. Otherwise, there are plenty of good pc laptops out there.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You guys seen this? http://www.monstercampmovie.com/

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited May 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »

God, that was painful. LARPers always make me feel uncomfortably embarrassed, even though i have nothing to do with them. The music was awesome though.

Lly on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Go to Tiger Direct or that egg place online. You can put together a very slick PC for around $1000

Grifter on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel like super designer! Yesterday I did 8 promotional pieces for a campaign, they all had variations for a grand total of 30 pieces. I just finished printing them now, I've never done so many in a single day by myself.

The project folder is a couple of MBs short of a Gigabite!

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    Shift + Delete!

Lly on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Most mac student discounts amount to getting an ipod nano at a discount.

Its a great piece of machinery if you can afford it. Otherwise, there are plenty of good pc laptops out there.

I have software that only runs on a Mac so my next computer will be one regardless.... I think they do charge a bit much for the hardware, but for what I do (video/film production), having a mac is infinitely better because Final Cut Studios 2 is dirt cheap for what you get and there is no competitor on the PC side in terms of what you get and the price point.

Also I can run Windows on a Mac.
    I feel like super designer! Yesterday I did 8 promotional pieces for a campaign, they all had variations for a grand total of 30 pieces. I just finished printing them now, I've never done so many in a single day by myself.

The project folder is a couple of MBs short of a Gigabite!

My film production class folder is 280 GB ;) (10 minute short film)

Can we see pics of the promotional pieces?

Virum on
    edited May 2008

The discount on a MacBook Pro is like $1000, Mars. One of those really can be a desktop replacement.

As was mentioned, Newegg is anyone's best bet, but keep in mind some brands, like ASUS, have small, private retailers online.

For instance lots and lots of great gaming laptops:

http://www.powernotebooks.com

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    Fuck yeah! America and Mountains! I'm buying one right now!!!!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Virum wrote: »
    Can we see pics of the promotional pieces?

I can't, it would get me fired! It's really frustrating, I can never show you guys anything! ARGH!!! Stupid uptight company!

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    That sucks!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    So we just put up our development site for the UK office. Just to have a bit of fun with the guys in the UK we decided to make the colors when you highlight menus pink.

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    It does, but if all goes well, come next Friday will be my last doing Medicare ads. I just got a call from an advertising agency for a second interview.... where I'll be doing Pharmacy ads! Ahahahahah! Oh man, one day I'll have a cool product to sell... till now I'm stuck with medical things.

MagicToaster on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HOLY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4

SHIT

psycho grafitti animation? yes please

Mayday on
    edited May 2008
    Cool

Whatchu dudes think of the Nikon D60

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    That was already posted earlier in the thread, Mayday. Awesome anyway though.

Tam on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aw dang. Should I edit it out?

Mayday on
    edited May 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Aw dang. Should I edit it out?

Nah, it's a great totp regardless.

Tam on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It does, but if all goes well, come next Friday will be my last doing Medicare ads. I just got a call from an advertising agency for a second interview.... where I'll be doing Pharmacy ads! Ahahahahah! Oh man, one day I'll have a cool product to sell... till now I'm stuck with medical things.

Just paste pictures of House all over...i'm sure they'll go for that.

DeeLock on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cool

Whatchu dudes think of the Nikon D60

It's alright. What are you comparing it to? Also, I know folks in the photo thread will give you all the information you could ever want if you're looking into getting into the DSLR game.

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    I'm already in the 'DSLR game', my brother is looking at buying one, and I know nothing about Nikon DSLRs.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    I'm already in the 'DSLR game', my brother is looking at buying one, and I know nothing about Nikon DSLRs.

What's his price range? Whatever you do, make sure he goes for neither the D40 or D40x, neither of these models have internal motors so anything that isn't AF-S is going to have to be manually focused. It's not a big deal to some, but it is certainly a drawback. AF-S lenses, with their own on-board motor are usually faster but are also more expensive. The D60 also suffers from a lack of an internal motor, though, as a camera it is a bit nicer than the D40. I'd still avoid it if it were up to me. The D70 is a pretty classic Nikon work horse and can be had used on the cheap, and the D80 is similar to the D70 but with a little more juice. The D200 is a semi-pro model that I've used for a while and certainly loved and can be had used for around 800-900.

Edit: What are his plans for using this thing? Pentax K10D and 20d are pretty nice, but I wouldn't recommend them if he were shooting something that required a high frames per second rate.

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    Well, he really isn't going to be doing professional photography with it. He just wants something with interchangeable lenses. He likes spending money on electronics, but the thing is he really doesn't use them, or his purchases are overkill for what he uses them for. He is going to be going on a trip to Isle Royale, in Lake Superior, so I think he wants to take 'professional' pictures, and thinks having a DSLR will give him that.
    But, I am not going to try to convince him otherwise, because he thinks high technology will make for better pictures.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    If he's not going to invest the time it takes to learn how to use the thing then it's not going to really improve his snapshots all that much. I mean, granted, the photos that are coming out of a DSLR will be a higher quality simply because of the larger sensors, the specialization of lenses, and often the higher resolution, but that doesn't mean they're going to be pro shots. The best tools may make a photo look nicer, but it's not going to endow him with a sudden knowledge of composition and lighting.

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, you're preaching to the choir Uncle Long. I've told him this, but he isn't listening.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, in that case you should convince him to purchase the next model up from whatever you're using and then later sell it to you when he gets bored.

What I'm saying is that you should use him.

Uncle Long on
    edited May 2008
    Yea, sounds like a plan.

Except my Rebel works perfectly fine, and is adequate for the minimal amount of photography I do outside of slide photography.

He probably wont even listen to my opinion anyways, hes probably just going to buy the damn camera.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You could try to make an argument for one of the pro point and shoots like the G9 it has a lot of the better options and abilities similar to the DSLRs but doesn't have the learning curve associated with it unless he really just wants interchangeable lenses.

Veritas on
    edited May 2008
    I know feel like I get the worst student discount on Mac products ever.

This discussion has been closed.